PDA

View Full Version : Video of Steve Jobs at UK iPhone Launch

MacRumors
Sep 20, 2007, 01:04 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Crave TV posts (http://crave.cnet.co.uk/video/0,139101587,49292859,00.htm) a 13 minute hilights video of Steve Jobs at the London Apple Store launching the UK iPhone on September 18th.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/09/20/jobslondon_300.png
(http://crave.cnet.co.uk/video/0,139101587,49292859,00.htm)

While there was live text coverage (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/18/apples-london-media-event-live-coverage/), watching the video itself provides a better feel for the event.

Includes portions of the Q&A session where he talks about 3G, iTunes activation, iTunes Wifi store, Fair Usage limitations, Unlocked iPhones, iPhone pricing, and more.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/20/video-of-steve-jobs-at-uk-iphone-launch/)

A Pittarelli
Sep 20, 2007, 01:11 AM
perhaps a canadian video of steve jobs at iphone launch is next?

koobcamuk
Sep 20, 2007, 01:13 AM
perhaps a canadian video of steve jobs at iphone launch is next?

:rolleyes:

He answers questions badly. To me - he's more greedy than I thought.

Lyra
Sep 20, 2007, 01:14 AM
Is it just me or does Steve Jobs look really old or really sick? Can't figure it out... It's like he's aging before my very eyes in a pretty quick tempo.

Anyway, I went and got the new iPod Touch and sure enough as I feared I got one with the negative blacks on the screen.

Let's put it this way, I went back with it the same day and they were sold out of the 16GBs and as I looked at the others they had on display they more or less ALL suffered from this defect.

To make people understand what it actually means to have Negative Blacks messing up the screen, well... watching ANY movie with dark scenes in it, is not only a pain in the neck but very annoying. It simple shows inverted colors... It's horrible to watch movies on and you can't really find an angle that's good enough.

Mine next to a working iPod Touch is a huge difference...

Trust me people, stay away from the iPod Touch, 4 people have already returned theirs yesterday and others will too...

I'm waiting till Apple sorts this one out...

IT'S BAD...

patrickvanzandt
Sep 20, 2007, 01:27 AM
Is it just me, or does Steve not seem like his usual confident self? He appears somewhat nervous and just not quite on the ball. Of course, it could just be jet lag -- this event was a 2 AM California time.

In any case, the Q&A session was certainly informative. I was surprised that Steve took questions; he usually does not do so at U.S. press conferences from what I have seen.

Jade Cambell
Sep 20, 2007, 01:29 AM
That video is hilarious. The audience asks him such rude questions, he doesn't know how to respond. He resorts to saying things like "All I can tell you is that we were faced with a lot of decisions, and we think we've made the best ones."

BTW
Sep 20, 2007, 01:33 AM
Is it just me or does Steve Jobs look really old or really sick? Can't figure it out... It's like he's aging before my very eyes in a pretty quick tempo.

Anyway, I went and got the new iPod Touch and sure enough as I feared I got one with the negative blacks on the screen.

Let's put it this way, I went back with it the same day and they were sold out of the 16GBs and as I looked at the others they had on display they more or less ALL suffered from this defect.

To make people understand what it actually means to have Negative Blacks messing up the screen, well... watching ANY movie with dark scenes in it, is not only a pain in the neck but very annoying. It simple shows inverted colors... It's horrible to watch movies on and you can't really find an angle that's good enough.

Mine next to a working iPod Touch is a huge difference...

Trust me people, stay away from the iPod Touch, 4 people have already returned theirs yesterday and others will too...

I'm waiting till Apple sorts this one out...

IT'S BAD...

Nope, I was thinking the same thing. He needed to shave. Maybe he mistook the U.K. for France.

sief
Sep 20, 2007, 01:34 AM
I agree they seemed very rude.

sparkleytone
Sep 20, 2007, 01:35 AM
I think many people have unrealistic expectations of what kinds of answers Jobs is supposed to give. Jobs constantly tries to shine Apple and its ventures in the best light possible, as is his job. When painted into a corner with pointed and arguably unfair questions, he does the proper thing for Apple and makes a succinct statement that basically means "get bent". It's not that he doesn't know how to respond, it's that he refuses to be trolled.

p0intblank
Sep 20, 2007, 01:36 AM
Nice video! But man... that was a tough Q&A session. I could tell Jobs was having a little trouble responding. Back off! :p

He obviously did a great job, though. :D

sparkleytone
Sep 20, 2007, 01:36 AM

It's the British press.

MrSmith
Sep 20, 2007, 01:40 AM
That video is hilarious. The audience asks him such rude questions, he doesn't know how to respond. He resorts to saying things like "All I can tell you is that we were faced with a lot of decisions, and we think we've made the best ones."

Rude? How are they in the least bit rude? They asked pertinent questions. Putting SJ on the spot does not equate with rudeness.

EricNau
Sep 20, 2007, 01:42 AM
Funny, I didn't find the questions rude. :confused:

sparkleytone
Sep 20, 2007, 01:45 AM

It's possible you would if you put yourself in the shoes of O2. A few of the questions were irrelevant to the O2-Apple iPhone UK announcement.

AlBDamned
Sep 20, 2007, 01:46 AM

Me neither. And, for the record, he didn't look sick, and bearing in mind that millions of Apple fans hang off every word he speaks and he was answering cold questions, he did pretty damn well.

Not as confident as a prepped speech with no questions – a la Macworld keynote –*so it's bound to not be the same.

firestarter
Sep 20, 2007, 01:47 AM
It's the British press.

It's British people in general. It's a national trait to be disrespectful / questioning of people who present themselves as an authority figure.

Personally, I think it's a good thing! Although I'm an Apple fan, I think the costing here is a little high and the package a little under-specced, so it's good that the press were there to ask Steve those tough questions rather than just clapping!!

BWhaler
Sep 20, 2007, 01:48 AM
Well, it may be shocking to us Americans, but we have forgotten what a real press corp and media sound like.

Hard hitting questions are what reporters used to do here too. Sad we get so shocked by it.

I too hope Steve is in good health. Apple is not ready to go on without him, yet, and I think he still has so much more he can give...

AlBDamned
Sep 20, 2007, 01:51 AM
It's possible you would if you put yourself in the shoes of O2. A few of the questions were irrelevant to the O2-Apple iPhone UK announcement.

But they were all relevant to the iPhone...

CJD2112
Sep 20, 2007, 01:53 AM
A bit off topic, but has any one seen Jobs in anything other than a black turtleneck? Any one? Even a pic? ... :p

MrSmith
Sep 20, 2007, 01:57 AM
A bit off topic, but has any one seen Jobs in anything other than a black turtleneck? Any one? Even a pic? ... :p
:D

http://coachlikeapro.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/jobs_steve.jpg

Steveo the Clown

sparkleytone
Sep 20, 2007, 01:57 AM

http://static.flickr.com/76/167823347_69e9698b5e.jpg

BWhaler
Sep 20, 2007, 01:58 AM
On a different note, why won't companies just put videos like these on youtube.

It's so Web 1.0 and big company to have these videos on your site at slow speeds and proprietary formats.

Of course it is C|NET, the archetype of dinosaur Web 1.0 companies.

CJD2112
Sep 20, 2007, 02:00 AM
http://static.flickr.com/76/167823347_69e9698b5e.jpg

LOL that was quick. Thanks, it's good to see him in a different light, makes him seem so "real".

For us night owls, here are a few funny MadTV skits on Steve Jobs:

the "iRack"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE

iPhone release
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xgZKjJt-TkU&mode=related&search=

best quote: "Steve Jobs is an iWitch!" lol

Will_reed
Sep 20, 2007, 02:14 AM
Someone should have asked about international roaming charges.

daneoni
Sep 20, 2007, 02:16 AM
......Is it just me, or does Steve not seem like his usual confident self? He appears somewhat nervous and just not quite on the ball......

The british press are very powerful, aren't easily impressed and will tear down anyone/anytime, unlike the american press who lets face it seem to worship jobs regardless....for the most part anyway.

So i can understand the nervousness and the hard questions that ensued. Also i get the feeling he misinterpreted the Unlock question for 3rd party app hacks...maybe thats just me

flir67
Sep 20, 2007, 02:19 AM
I think he just winged it per say on a moments notice. what a small crowd I was thinking, they must not do big appearance meetings like here. that or it was intended to be small. and why the heck did the 02 guy have jobs water bottle???

it was just strange

cat and mouse game....LOL

i0Nic
Sep 20, 2007, 02:22 AM
The press weren't rude, they asked things that people want to know. Why sugarcoat questions and be 'polite', it doesn't serve anyone's interest.

i0Nic
Sep 20, 2007, 02:24 AM
Also, an interesting comment was about the hacks. The way Jobs phrased his answer made it seem like the only reason Apple would try to break the hacks are because of the record companies and other partnerships. I don't think Apple are going to go too heavy on cracking down on the hacks.

Lycanthrope
Sep 20, 2007, 02:27 AM
I wouldn't say the British media is as free as perhaps we all think but Europe as a whole does have freedom of speech and with some exceptions in law (for good reason) you can say and ask what you want.

It should be the job of the press to report events and pass comment in an objective way as possible and also to ask questions where they see issues, anomalies or obfuscation.

I didn't get the chance to watch the video yet but the question I would ask is "Why do you insist on locking the iPhone to a single operator, screwing them on their revenues which are inevitably just passed onto the client with interest. Aren't you making enough profit already?"...

iBlue
Sep 20, 2007, 02:44 AM
I don't think the questions were tough enough. I didn't find any of the questions rude in the slightest. Apple are pulling a cheeky number on everyone with their iPhone and instead of just kissing his ass, they asked real questions. (most of which he dodged, naturally)

Not real impressed with him, he sounded like a bit of a twunt.

pamon
Sep 20, 2007, 02:45 AM
again with the iphone update during this month... when steve... when will it be released....

arkitect
Sep 20, 2007, 02:59 AM
Oh fer f's sake… the guy is an overworked, 52yo control freak with a history of pancreatic cancer. Of course he's going to look a bit worn out. :rolleyes:

On the other hand someone really should tell Phill to stay away from the cream buns 'n bagels! :eek:

twunt.
Mot du jour, eh? ;):p

koobcamuk
Sep 20, 2007, 03:21 AM

Er... we're in the UK here... we are rude... didn't anyone tell you? :rolleyes:

I don't think the questions were tough enough. I didn't find any of the questions rude in the slightest. Apple are pulling a cheeky number on everyone with their iPhone and instead of just kissing his ass, they asked real questions. (most of which he dodged, naturally)

Not real impressed with him, he sounded like a bit of a twunt.

Nicely said. I agree. I used to think he was a lot better than this. Now I only see him as greedy.

tjcampbell
Sep 20, 2007, 03:48 AM
The British Press are vicious. They don't hold back and that's a good thing. In comparison they were very easy on steve.

DAC47
Sep 20, 2007, 03:49 AM
Jobs should have know better than have Q&A in room full of British journos

Its a good job for him that Paxman or Humphrys weren't in the audience.

The classic Paxman v Howard(then a government minister)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfYJwOuxbpA

koobcamuk
Sep 20, 2007, 04:19 AM
Jobs should have know better than have Q&A in room full of British journos

Its a good job for him that Paxman or Humphrys weren't in the audience.

Can you imagine? Paxman? Jobs might have started crying. :)

MrSmith
Sep 20, 2007, 04:47 AM
Slightly off topic, but iBlue seems to change her avatar more often than I change my
http://www.bonkworld.org/media/img/crossexam/underpants.pnghttp://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8034/bugxv5we7ww8.gif

al85
Sep 20, 2007, 04:47 AM
In the Southampton store. Time to go check those negative screens on display :p

bilbo--baggins
Sep 20, 2007, 04:49 AM
The British press do a lot of harm.

Just look at the way the political preferences of the main newspapers try to swing public opinion.

Also, the Northern Rock issue at the moment. They gave a 'skewed' view of the situation that led to unnecessary panic and actually created a problem that was previously under control.

I think they have a responsibility to give an accurate balanced report - and unfortunately that rarely happens.

It's all very well for the press to cut through the glossy presentations and reveal the real detail - but there isn't enough protection against the damage that the media does.

iBlue
Sep 20, 2007, 04:52 AM
Slightly off topic, but iBlue seems to change her avatar more often than I change my <undercrackers> http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8034/bugxv5we7ww8.gif

that's worrying. :p I've had this one for a few days and I had my CS3 icon'tar for over a month (and it's going back soon)

(I know, I'm just indecisive and I like change)

MrSmith
Sep 20, 2007, 04:56 AM
that's worrying. :p I've had this one for a few days and I had my CS3 icon'tar for over a month...
I'm too busy scratching to pay attention.

sananda
Sep 20, 2007, 05:01 AM
i really don't see why some are calling the questioners rude. they were invited to the event and asked if they had questions. they clearly did have some questions which they put perfectly politely. i can only assume that some think it's rude to put any question at all which is not complimentary in it's premise.

Manic Mouse
Sep 20, 2007, 05:06 AM
It's British people in general. It's a national trait to be disrespectful / questioning of people who present themselves as an authority figure.

Actually it's because the British press ask real questions and aren't pussies like their US counterparts.

Welcome to real journalism, asking hard questions rather than kissing ass. None of the questions were rude or inappropriate, just hard for Jobs to answer because they were GOOD questions.

PDE
Sep 20, 2007, 05:07 AM
Well, it may be shocking to us Americans, but we have forgotten what a real press corp and media sound like.

Hard hitting questions are what reporters used to do here too. Sad we get so shocked by it.

I too hope Steve is in good health. Apple is not ready to go on without him, yet, and I think he still has so much more he can give...

Thanks! Absolutely true - the U.S. press has totally forsaken its responsibility for a long time and seems incapable of doing its job by asking tough questions and persisting with follow-up questions. It's not rude: it's good journalism.

Dagless
Sep 20, 2007, 05:08 AM
The guy is selling us an expensive phone that requires a contract as well, course this is going to happen. And good on the press. None of that nancy pansy US arse licking going on!

Tony Blair has had heart problems in the past, should he be (have been?) treated lightly by the press too?

On with the questions!

BornAgainMac
Sep 20, 2007, 05:13 AM
The funny part was someone raising their arm and Steve Jobs is responding and pointing to answer him. Finally the guy chickens out and sticks his arm back down. I suppose it could have just been edited to appear like that happened.

abrooks
Sep 20, 2007, 05:18 AM
Also, an interesting comment was about the hacks. The way Jobs phrased his answer made it seem like the only reason Apple would try to break the hacks are because of the record companies and other partnerships. I don't think Apple are going to go too heavy on cracking down on the hacks.

Well that is logical, think of the iTunes Store as a prime example. It is well known that Apple makes very little money from the sales of songs on iTunes, the main point of iTunes is to help sell more iPods. Apple makes lots of money on iPods, the music companies make lots of money on selling music and insist on DRM.

So Music industry + DRM = Happy music industry and sales of iPods

Exactly the same goes for the iPhone, but in this case Apple is making money from both the sale of the hardware and from users using it, thus it is in Apple's interest to keep AT&T, O2 and T-Mobile happy.

winmacguy
Sep 20, 2007, 05:27 AM

Personally, I think it's a good thing! Although I'm an Apple fan, I think the costing here is a little high and the package a little under-specced, so it's good that the press were there to ask Steve those tough questions rather than just clapping!!

If Steve had the same type of interview in NZ he would probably get a bit of a rough ride from the media.

PDE
Sep 20, 2007, 05:35 AM
The British press do a lot of harm.

Just look at the way the political preferences of the main newspapers try to swing public opinion.

Also, the Northern Rock issue at the moment. They gave a 'skewed' view of the situation that led to unnecessary panic and actually created a problem that was previously under control.

I think they have a responsibility to give an accurate balanced report - and unfortunately that rarely happens.

It's all very well for the press to cut through the glossy presentations and reveal the real detail - but there isn't enough protection against the damage that the media does.

Yes, but at least the newspapers are up front about their political orientation! In the U.S. newspapers still, on the surface, claim to provide fair and balanced news when in fact they are incredibly political and biased. To the average, uncritical reader this is much more dangerous.

The way U.S. journalists and media has failed the American people with regard to the Iraq war is perhaps the biggest let-down of all times. There is virtually no news about the conditions in Iraq, except for the occasional weep story about some poor little Iraqi child who was alsmost blown up but then was given a chance to a better life in the U.S.. Truth is, hundred of little children are killed every month. millions are displaced AND the U.S. is one of the worst in accepting Iraqi refugees with only a 3-400 since the beginning of the war. Contrast that with tiny Sweden, where around 30,000 iraqis have been given residency as a result of the war. U.S. media is superficial, sensationalist, corrupted from corporate sponsoship, fearful of private interest retaliation if they ask tough unfavorable questions, and individual journalists so career-ambitious that they're fearful of stepping out of rank and doing their job. There are a few exceptions, like public tv and radio, but they have to beg every year for viewers to donate money so they can keep going - it always makes me sad to see them forced to do that.

Anyway...my morning rant. I'm turning on the BBC through my amazing Squeezebox device (if you haven't seen one yet, check it out! Couldn't live without it)

Blue Velvet
Sep 20, 2007, 05:45 AM
Mods note: Please don't sully this fine thread with off-topic political ranting, no matter how justified you feel in your views. Any more of it will be deleted upon sight. Many thanks, your pre-coffee moderator... ;)

twoodcc
Sep 20, 2007, 06:00 AM
well I guess I need to watch this video when I get home from work. Seems worth watching from what I've read on here

sibruk
Sep 20, 2007, 06:02 AM
I'm really happy with the grilling Steve got. Sure, he won't come and do another UK press conference any time soon. But I would rather this approach, where the questions that should be asked get asked, rather than the US approach - ie. fill an auditorium with smiling sycophantic baboons that whoop and cheer at every opportunity. I wonder if the Americans would like us to add "Peace Be Upon Him" after every mention of Le Jobs.

The British press are renowned for their challenging, impartial approach. Shame they haven't applied this quite so rigourously to the Madeleine McCann story over recent months! ;)

PDE
Sep 20, 2007, 06:03 AM
Mods note: Please don't sully this fine thread with off-topic political ranting, no matter how justified you feel in your views. Any more of it will be deleted upon sight. Many thanks, your pre-coffee moderator... ;)

Thank you for not censoring the thread. It was a comment on the style of questioning used by the press in questioning Steve Jobs, compared with the regular Jobs-worshipping U.S. press. Anyway....

The Stig
Sep 20, 2007, 06:41 AM
Steve looks like he needs a shave. What's going on with the moustache?

The Stig

I Am Designer™
Sep 20, 2007, 06:43 AM
I read in one of the live feeds of the events that there were some UK specific iPhone adverts shown... Does anyone know what these were of? or if any of the invited guests got videos / images?....

Also, I have to agree with what a lot of the other people are saying about the British press, they aren't shy of asking direct questions - and then demanding they get a direct answer... Hence the badgering of Jobs on the issue of why Apple have gone with multiple partnerships across Europe.

On a side note - the o2 tariffs are awful! It's not going to be very hard for Orange, Voda etc to retain customers looking to break contracts or jump ship by simply saying 'we'll give you more for your money - and a free upgrade to our latest handsets...'

zedsdead
Sep 20, 2007, 06:43 AM
I agree with Steve about the Camera in terms of quality, however, the lack of a Digital Zoom or Video is embarrassing. The picture quality on my phone is great with good lighting as he stated, but it is very easy to make the picture blurry if the camera is not held steady enough. Probably the biggest part of the phone that needs improvement (and the speakers volumes are too low as well).

koobcamuk
Sep 20, 2007, 07:03 AM
I agree with Steve about the Camera in terms of quality, however, the lack of a Digital Zoom or Video is embarrassing. The picture quality on my phone is great with good lighting as he stated, but it is very easy to make the picture blurry if the camera is not held steady enough. Probably the biggest part of the phone that needs improvement (and the speakers volumes are too low as well).

The lack of autofocus is another joke. This camera isn't worth using...

On a side note - the o2 tariffs are awful! It's not going to be very hard for Orange, Voda etc to retain customers looking to break contracts or jump ship by simply saying 'we'll give you more for your money - and a free upgrade to our latest handsets...'

If Vodafone give me a free phone that retails at over £200 like last time, I will sell it straight away - then I'll pay for more than my entire contract for that year. Awesome. In fact, I sold my last phone for £230. My contract is £15 a month. That's £180 for year - so Vodafone have essentially paid me to use a phone. £50. Let's go buy a shuffle!

hmmfe
Sep 20, 2007, 07:06 AM
I did not find the questions particularly rude or tough. It seemed like business as usual to me. Both sides seemed to follow the script pretty closely. I am not sure when the word greed changed definition, but the way it is tossed around these days is humorous.

The British press are renowned for their challenging, impartial approach. Shame they haven't applied this quite so rigourously to the Madeleine McCann story over recent months!

So, the British press are renowned for their challenging, impartial approach - except when they are not? ;)

Personally I find the press from most western countries to be virtually the same (style aside). Controversy and "buzz" is their product and they are in the business of generating as much as possible to maximize their profit potential (or personal notoriety).

arkitect
Sep 20, 2007, 07:09 AM
The lack of autofocus is another joke. This camera isn't worth using...

That is astonishing! I didn't realise it lacks such a basic function… :(

I Am Designer™
Sep 20, 2007, 07:15 AM
If Vodafone give me a free phone that retails at over £200 like last time, I will sell it straight away - then I'll pay for more than my entire contract for that year. Awesome. In fact, I sold my last phone for £230. My contract is £15 a month. That's £180 for year - so Vodafone have essentially paid me to use a phone. £50. Let's go buy a shuffle!

That's almost exactly the same situation I was recently in with Orange - they upgraded my phone for free when I actually didn't need it upgrading - so I sold it! Instant profit!

k2k koos
Sep 20, 2007, 07:17 AM
This is europe, we have been screwed by politicians, manufacturers, etc etc all too often, and the audience/press has become increasingly critical, and aware of their rights, and rightfully asks questions that reflect that. I don't think they were rude, they were just direct and frank, and rightfully so. I think Steve did a good job in answering these, as honest and open as he could, given Apple's "we do not disclose anything we haven't released or annouced yet" policy.
:apple:

pianojoe
Sep 20, 2007, 07:29 AM
Rude? How are they in the least bit rude? They asked pertinent questions. Putting SJ on the spot does not equate with rudeness.

Yes. It depends on what you're used to.

An example: American journalism drives me crazy. So much of that one-newsman-asking-the-other "What do you make of that, Bob?" thing. Over here, we're used to reporters asking tough questions without needing to obtain clearance from the P.R. department.

No offense meant.

Edit: We surely learn something about Steve Jobs that we don't learn from typical keynote video streams. He's not the cool patient deliberate guy that he likes to be perceived as. He's got temper, and you don't want to meet him when he's in a bad mood. That makes him very human. I actually like him better after this video.

Schtumple
Sep 20, 2007, 07:41 AM
I think I'll go ahead and get a US iPhone and unlock it on a better (cheaper) O2 tariff...

fastbite
Sep 20, 2007, 07:45 AM
It looks like he hates going round doing the introductions and getting the same flipping questions all the time. He looks sort of uncomfortable, as if being forced to play the shopkeeper introducing a new range of pork sausages or something, over and over again. The press in the UK (most of them a bunch of morons) haven't been very kind to say the least. But the beauty of the iPhone should eventually convince the cynics.

tjcampbell
Sep 20, 2007, 08:01 AM
Just watched the video. Really surprised how nervous he was with some of the questions. He actually looks surprised that people are asking certain things.

Anyone entering that sort of situation should make a list of the toughest questions one could possibly be asked and then from there formulate some answers if they should come up. Hope for the best, plan for the worst so nothing phases you.

Prepare for battle next time Steve instead of sitting around eating organic celery on your private jet.

Cheers, T

cookie1105
Sep 20, 2007, 08:44 AM
Edit: We surely learn something about Steve Jobs that we don't learn from typical keynote video streams. He's not the cool patient deliberate guy that he likes to be perceived as. He's got temper, and you don't want to meet him when he's in a bad mood. That makes him very human. I actually like him better after this video.

Agree with you there. It was nice to see him in a more intimate environment and I think he handled the press very well. Made him look like a real CEO rather than just an idolised figurehead of the world's hippest technology company.

I'm definitely going to try and get my grubby little hands on one and unlock it until the 2G arrives here.

guzhogi
Sep 20, 2007, 09:06 AM
The press weren't rude, they asked things that people want to know. Why sugarcoat questions and be 'polite', it doesn't serve anyone's interest.

I totally agree. I find many people today are very apathetic. They don't want to bring anything up because it's "too rude" or "wouldn't do enough." But there are enough things in life where it may be rude to bring it up, but even ruder not to IMO. I work in an elementary school & the kindergarten teacher said that sometimes the only way to get something done is to throw a tantrum. Unfortunately, that's very true. Plus, many people are more concerned w/ how things look & the image they have than actually making it work & be accessible. Example: the school district I work for just brought in a faster internet connection (but when your old one is a T1 line feeding 9 schools & an admin building, anything is faster). There was a big thing in the local newspapers saying "aren't the district wide techs great! Hooray for them!" Yet, it isn't operating at full capacity. Plus, the wireless network in one of the wings of my school doesn't even work so the iBooks we have in those rooms wouldn't even be able to connect to the internet.

So basically, sometimes it's a good thing to be rude so that things get better.

morespce54
Sep 20, 2007, 09:10 AM

did you seriously thought that he was a "cool patient deliberate" guy?;):D:D
I've seen and heard him quite a few times loosing his "cool-patient-deliberateness" vibe... :eek::D

BoyBach
Sep 20, 2007, 09:41 AM
I didn't find anything about any of the questions rude? :confused:

However, the video did make me want an iPhone even more so than I did before watching it. It just looks so bloody lovely!

koobcamuk
Sep 20, 2007, 10:10 AM
...But the beauty of the iPhone should eventually convince the cynics.

???

What? :eek:

Anyway...

did you seriously thought that he was a "cool patient deliberate" guy?;):D:D
I've seen and heard him quite a few times loosing his "cool-patient-deliberateness" vibe... :eek::D

Yeh, there are a few cases when he's lost his rag during keynotes that have gone badly.

It is interesting to see him not be the epitome of presentations. I watch his keynotes and wish I could make a presentation that good (I am not selling something though). Having said that, I don't say "boom" a million times either.

I watch this, and realise that he is indeed human. Agreed. I don't 'like him more' though.

crackermac
Sep 20, 2007, 10:14 AM
I think Steve did a nice job at answering. Q&As can be rather intimidating because you never know what will come up. I think he stayed calm and composed and never once did it look like Apple made a bad decision or aren't looking towards the future.

I've sat in on a few Q&As when grad students are defending their research for a masters or doctorate. If you wanna see a scared bunny surrounded by a pack of wolves, head on over to your nearest research institute for one of those.

CJD2112
Sep 20, 2007, 10:28 AM
Yes, but at least the newspapers are up front about their political orientation! In the U.S. newspapers still, on the surface, claim to provide fair and balanced news when in fact they are incredibly political and biased. To the average, uncritical reader this is much more dangerous.

The way U.S. journalists and media has failed the American people with regard to the Iraq war is perhaps the biggest let-down of all times. There is virtually no news about the conditions in Iraq, except for the occasional weep story about some poor little Iraqi child who was alsmost blown up but then was given a chance to a better life in the U.S.. Truth is, hundred of little children are killed every month. millions are displaced AND the U.S. is one of the worst in accepting Iraqi refugees with only a 3-400 since the beginning of the war. Contrast that with tiny Sweden, where around 30,000 iraqis have been given residency as a result of the war. U.S. media is superficial, sensationalist, corrupted from corporate sponsoship, fearful of private interest retaliation if they ask tough unfavorable questions, and individual journalists so career-ambitious that they're fearful of stepping out of rank and doing their job. There are a few exceptions, like public tv and radio, but they have to beg every year for viewers to donate money so they can keep going - it always makes me sad to see them forced to do that.

Anyway...my morning rant. I'm turning on the BBC through my amazing Squeezebox device (if you haven't seen one yet, check it out! Couldn't live without it)

I agree 100% (and I'll probably have this deleted by BlueVelvet, she's gotten me before lol).

CJD2112
Sep 20, 2007, 10:30 AM
That is astonishing! I didn't realise it lacks such a basic function… :(

Hmmmm, not sure if that is true. I've taken a lot of pictures with my iPhone and not one had a focus issue.

puckhead193
Sep 20, 2007, 10:31 AM
to me he seemed nervous-maybe because it wasn't on his on turf. The questions that were asked seemed logical questions that any good reporter would ask.

arkitect
Sep 20, 2007, 10:33 AM
Hmmmm, not sure if that is true. I've taken a lot of pictures with my iPhone and not one had a focus issue.

Good to know. I cannot imagine it not having auto-focus…

koobcamuk
Sep 20, 2007, 10:55 AM
Good to know. I cannot imagine it not having auto-focus…

It doesn't have it.

You can't aim at something, half depress the camera button and let it focus, then fully press to take the photo. Check out the 903SH by Sharp or a million sony ericssons....

koobcamuk
Sep 20, 2007, 10:59 AM
I've sat in on a few Q&As when grad students are defending their research for a masters or doctorate. If you wanna see a scared bunny surrounded by a pack of wolves, head on over to your nearest research institute for one of those.

I have my first one in a month. :(

CJD2112
Sep 20, 2007, 11:06 AM
It doesn't have it.

You can't aim at something, half depress the camera button and let it focus, then fully press to take the photo. Check out the 903SH by Sharp or a million sony ericssons....

I'll say it again, I've used my iPhone for a lot of photos, up close, far away, whatever, and not one was fuzzy or out of focus. Maybe it doesn't need it, either way, it works very well. One of the best camera's I've used for a phone.

yamtunbo
Sep 20, 2007, 11:23 AM
On a different note, why won't companies just put videos like these on youtube.

It's so Web 1.0 and big company to have these videos on your site at slow speeds and proprietary formats.

Of course it is C|NET, the archetype of dinosaur Web 1.0 companies.

Well, because companies like CNET rely on advertising revenue to be able to report these kind of things. If they put it on YouTube they don't get any ad revenue. Google does. Which doesn't really make much sense from CNET's point of view.

Also, how is it proprietary format? It's a flash video playing in a flash player using progressive download, just the same as YouTube.

PDE
Sep 20, 2007, 11:32 AM
I have my first one in a month. :(

And I'm so afraid of my defense that I'm forever procrastinating the last chapter of my dissertation....again, in the UK, the defense is different because your examiners are not people that have previously reviewed your work. Your adviser can sign off on your dissertation, but it means little for your successes at the viva.

I'm already a scared bunny and I haven't even seen the wolves...

Much Ado
Sep 20, 2007, 11:35 AM
I'm amazed so many people are surprised. The British press won't ask about Intel stickers, that's for certain ;)

bretm
Sep 20, 2007, 12:48 PM

So what?

Rocketman
Sep 20, 2007, 01:40 PM
Is it just me or does Steve Jobs look really old or really sick?

He is starting to show his age and he is recovering from pretty heavy health issues. But he does have his same personality and certainly is forward leaning in terms of partnerships and technology advances.

His critics can analyze him after he is dead :)

Rocketman

gdesalvo@umail.
Sep 20, 2007, 02:38 PM
The funny part was someone raising their arm and Steve Jobs is responding and pointing to answer him. Finally the guy chickens out and sticks his arm back down. I suppose it could have just been edited to appear like that happened.

actually form what it looks like he was waiting for the mike to be passed to him so he can be heard from the whole audience without having to shout.

JGowan
Sep 20, 2007, 03:33 PM
This was hilarious -- He had the "I'm so lost-where's my mommy" look on his face!

tjcampbell
Sep 20, 2007, 06:47 PM
This was hilarious -- He had the "I'm so lost-where's my mommy" look on his face!

Or it was just another one of his unpredictable, "Did I really call a computer Lisa" acid flashbacks.

MacTO
Sep 20, 2007, 11:18 PM
I didn't find those questions rude. But Steve's reactions were a bit unexpected. Although he did pretty good overall, I don't think he would want to face the British press this close any time soon. Ha!

My first reaction was that Steve looked worn out. Like somebody posted, it must've been jet lag.

So, UK and Germany... Which is next? Does anyone hear any rumors? Why not any time soon in Canada? That's what I want to know! :mad:

Cheers! :apple:

j763
Sep 21, 2007, 12:35 PM
The british press are very powerful, aren't easily impressed and will tear down anyone/anytime, unlike the american press who lets face it seem to worship jobs regardless....for the most part anyway.

Couldn't agree more: it's not rude, it's simply a healthy degree of cynicism. Especially where Jobs claimed that Apple choses its partners based on primarily "cultural" not "economic" reasons... then the reporter asked why Apple had chosen T-Mobile in Germany but not T-Mobile UK. The British Press do tend to cut through a lot of the BS that US journalists lap up.

BillyBobBongo
Sep 22, 2007, 09:49 AM
That didn't sound rude to me at all!

Steve seems to handle the questions fairly well, but there's obviously stuff he'd rather not touch on since it's contrary to the image that he's trying to present.

Now....when is it coming to Holland!? That's what I want to know!