Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
We just got word from the Sony press conference that Home, which was originally scheduled to be released at the end of this year, has been rescheduled to release sometime this spring. According to the news at the press conference, this shift comes as a result of Sony's desire to react to feedback from users, and Sony will provide additional details in the future.

Home, Sony's eagerly anticipated social networking service for the PS3, has been in development for quite a while. Hopefully, this delay only means further tweaking for the software, which will then herald in Sony's future plans for online support. Check back with us soon for further updates.

Update: Sony was just asked to elaborate on the Home delay during their press conference Q & A session. Hirai comments that the primary issue responsible for the delay is because Home is a worldwide service, and Sony would like to appeal to as broad of an audience as possible, by offering a wide variety of services. This will be accomplished by responding to the feedback and testing that has been happening recently with the software.

From IGN

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
This is great, they're fixing all the problems with the PS3. Lower the price (except here), rumble, sorting out Home and online play. Home having a global launch is good. Though they still need to make up for that whole worldwide launch fiasco, so give it Europe sooner :p

As a now 360-less owner I'm interested to see what they're going to pull to stay competitive. As well as that (pretty minor) £20 price drop. If Sony keeps this up it'll only be a matter of time before Live Gold goes free.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
The HOME delay was inevtiable. It wasn't necessarily due to problems, they just listened to us beta testers and decided to make drastic changes to their development platform to deliver the features we were more interested in. Of course there are/were bugs, but the feature changes were more of an impact on this than anything.

*i doubt LIVE Gold will ever be free*
(at least not this gen)

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
There will be a decent list of titles out this holiday season, but I have to agree...I think they are holding back on something that may have a major impact on sales.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I'm glad they delayed it....I don't want anything thats boring or buggy....get it out when its completed. Sony have games coming out this holiday season and maybe that rumored price drop....which would be the spark they need this season.

What concerns me is why do I have to wait till spring '08 for the DS3 when this thing is 9+ years old....

Bless

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
so they're relaunching the PS3 in spring with Home, a proper controller and maybe even some decent games...and everybody this year has been a beta tester?

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
so they're relaunching the PS3 in spring with Home, a proper controller and maybe even some decent games...and everybody this year has been a beta tester?

It's okay though because Sony is going to issue a $100 gift certificate to the Sony Style Store! ;)

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
This is great, they're fixing all the problems with the PS3. Lower the price (except here), rumble, sorting out Home and online play. Home having a global launch is good. Though they still need to make up for that whole worldwide launch fiasco, so give it Europe sooner :p

As a now 360-less owner I'm interested to see what they're going to pull to stay competitive. As well as that (pretty minor) £20 price drop. If Sony keeps this up it'll only be a matter of time before Live Gold goes free.

I've got to agree. Sony's corrected a lot of their early problems and the system clearly offers more value than the 360 at this point (360 + one year of Live + WiFi ends up costing the same amount as a PS3 with a bigger hard drive and Blu-ray). They're starting to have some good games, and they've got rumble and tilt sensors, and their backwards compatibility crushes the 360.

Still, they don't have a lot of AAA exclusives. But we'll see. I'm just waiting. Both systems are out of my price range right now.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I've got to agree. Sony's corrected a lot of their early problems and the system clearly offers more value than the 360 at this point (360 + one year of Live + WiFi ends up costing the same amount as a PS3 with a bigger hard drive and Blu-ray).

It offers more potential value, but only if you plan on using the features. Some, like wireless and online, are almost a given. Others, such as watching Blu-ray movies, putting photos on it and such, sure, some people'll use 'em, but it's far less important. Now, I know I'm not representative of the whole world, but I haven't purchased a single Blu-ray movie yet. I still buy DVDs. Why? Because everyone has a DVD player, and few people have Blu-ray or HD-DVD players (let alone movies) yet. This why I can let a friend borrow a movie, and I can also copy it onto my hard drive.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I have about 30 BD movies, and no longer purchase DVD's, it(obviously) means my selection is much more limited, due to studio support, but I just borrow dvd's that I want to see and will wait for their HD release.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Well it seems that Sony is doing something they should have done 18 months ago: listen to it's customers. Lower the damn price, bundle a game and maybe a movie, add rumble and get some ****ing games out. Home could be a huge thing if they do it right so or just be another blunder so better they get it right out of the gate than screw it up and see interest in it fade. They have good things going for them if they can survive the Halo/Mass Effect and Wii hardware onslaught this xmas...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.