PDA

View Full Version : CoverFlow: Missing album art

wrldwzrd89
Sep 20, 2007, 02:33 PM
I wonder if anyone else here is in the same situation I am regarding CoverFlow - namely, it's utterly useless to me because none of my music has album artwork. Attempting to use the get missing album art feature of iTunes doesn't work because iTunes doesn't know where to find the album art for these files. I know how to make my own, but I'd rather not manually apply the artwork to each album individually. Is there some sort of AppleScript for iTunes that could, for example, apply a picture file to an album as its artwork if the filename of the picture and the name of the album match?

swiftaw
Sep 20, 2007, 02:37 PM
Maybe this: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts13.php?page=2#artworkscripts

Nerolt
Sep 20, 2007, 02:38 PM
First make sure all of your songs have CORRECT ID3 TAGS that MATCH what's in the iTunes Store...

Then (at least as far as PC goes) go to Advanced->Get Album Artwork

Good luck

wrldwzrd89
Sep 20, 2007, 02:55 PM
First make sure all of your songs have CORRECT ID3 TAGS that MATCH what's in the iTunes Store...

Then (at least as far as PC goes) go to Advanced->Get Album Artwork

Good luck
Not going to work, sadly, as these songs aren't even in the iTunes Store.

Nerolt
Sep 20, 2007, 03:00 PM
Not going to work, sadly, as these songs aren't even in the iTunes Store.

Then sorry to say it, but you're gonna have to do it manually. Trust me, I listen to a lot of underground/independent artists so I've had experience... It's a bitch of a job but it's gotta be done

swiftaw
Sep 20, 2007, 03:01 PM
Did you see the link in my earlier post?

wrldwzrd89
Sep 20, 2007, 03:03 PM
Did you see the link in my earlier post?
I did - unfortunately I forgot to hit multi-quote so I forgot to respond to it. :o Anyway... I will check this out when I return to my Mac, as I am at work on a Windows machine that doesn't have iTunes installed.

rusca86
Sep 20, 2007, 03:10 PM
you could also try to use fetch-art (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19933)!

wrldwzrd89
Sep 20, 2007, 05:51 PM
Maybe this: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts13.php?page=2#artworkscripts
Unfortunately, that doesn't do quite what I need. I'll need to write my own script, methinks.
you could also try to use fetch-art (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19933)!
That isn't going to help me, since these tracks are NOT from CDs, and thus fetch-art will fail to find the artwork - I can almost guarantee that.

ezekielant
Sep 20, 2007, 07:36 PM
Unfortunately, that doesn't do quite what I need. I'll need to write my own script, methinks.

That isn't going to help me, since these tracks are NOT from CDs, and thus fetch-art will fail to find the artwork - I can almost guarantee that.

If its multiple tracks from the one album and the ID3 field has the album name as the same for all the tracks. You can just drag the picture from explorer/your internet browser (or mac equiv) into itunes and it will assign the picture to every track with the same album name. Clicking and dragging one picture per album is not really that difficult/time consuming?

On a side note I had a few albums that had the album artwork in a JPG in the same directory as the album and it used that picture for the album artwork.

wrldwzrd89
Sep 21, 2007, 05:03 AM
If its multiple tracks from the one album and the ID3 field has the album name as the same for all the tracks. You can just drag the picture from explorer/your internet browser (or mac equiv) into itunes and it will assign the picture to every track with the same album name. Clicking and dragging one picture per album is not really that difficult/time consuming?

On a side note I had a few albums that had the album artwork in a JPG in the same directory as the album and it used that picture for the album artwork.
Thanks, that does help me quite a bit.

carman63
Sep 21, 2007, 05:23 AM
I've tried a few different programs, and actually paid for one (can't remember the name, cost $9) that has its own database of cover art. One common denomitator in the programs I've tried - they are SLOW. All of them that I tried seem to work on a track-by-track basis, and most would lock up after about 1500 or so songs. So I did maybe 80% that way, then finished up manually. (I only have roughly 10K songs in my collection.)

I have found a lot of cover art using Google, under the 'images' tab. If Apple doesn't sell the song on their iTunes store, then they won't have the cover art. And if the song/album is out of print, Amazon may not have it. So Google is the next place to look.

Good luck!

wrldwzrd89
Sep 21, 2007, 06:44 AM
I've tried a few different programs, and actually paid for one (can't remember the name, cost $9) that has its own database of cover art. One common denomitator in the programs I've tried - they are SLOW. All of them that I tried seem to work on a track-by-track basis, and most would lock up after about 1500 or so songs. So I did maybe 80% that way, then finished up manually. (I only have roughly 10K songs in my collection.)

I have found a lot of cover art using Google, under the 'images' tab. If Apple doesn't sell the song on their iTunes store, then they won't have the cover art. And if the song/album is out of print, Amazon may not have it. So Google is the next place to look.

Good luck!
If this helps at all - about half of them are from video games. These obviously won't have cover art in the usual places but I can generate my own, if I can find a screen shot of the game in question, or even use an emulator to make my own screen shot. The other half are converted modules. Most of these are really old - some of them go all the way back to the Amiga days. Hence, these generally don't have cover art at all, or if it exists it's a pain to find.