PDA

View Full Version : AC Adapter Fix

idkew
Aug 21, 2003, 09:09 PM
My AC adapter died for my TiBook.

Does anyone know where I can get a new thin cord and plug for it? The adaptor is working fine, it is just that my thin cord frayed and broke where it plugs into my laptop. All i need is a new one of those parts.

Do you know where I can find one?
Does anyone have an AC Adapter that is broken in the electricity converting part, but still has a working plug to the laptop? I would pay you a few bucks for it.

TEG
Aug 21, 2003, 09:50 PM
Don't bother, its to dangerous for the system. Just get a new one, or get a replacement from Applecare (If you still have it.)

TEG

idkew
Aug 21, 2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by idkew
My AC adapter died for my TiBook.

Does anyone know where I can get a new thin cord and plug for it? The adaptor is working fine, it is just that my thin cord frayed and broke where it plugs into my laptop. All i need is a new one of those parts.

Do you know where I can find one?
Does anyone have an AC Adapter that is broken in the electricity converting part, but still has a working plug to the laptop? I would pay you a few bucks for it.

i got a new one, but i do not think it is out of my ability to solder two wires into place on a power converter board.

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 21, 2003, 11:30 PM
You really don't want to mess around with the guts of a Mac. If it's user-servicable, Apple will let you know. This is serious business. You can void your warranty if you upgrade anything that Apple says you can't for good reason: it's VERY easy to destroy your precious without the proper tools and expertise.

idkew
Aug 22, 2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
You really don't want to mess around with the guts of a Mac. If it's user-servicable, Apple will let you know. This is serious business. You can void your warranty if you upgrade anything that Apple says you can't for good reason: it's VERY easy to destroy your precious without the proper tools and expertise.

first, this is not "guts of a mac" it is soldering two wires into the place that two others were.

i will not be touching my laptop.

second- warranty was gone a long time ago.

third, i am not some little idiot. i have tken my entire tibook apart several times, even painted it, and never had a problem.

so- the question still stands: does anyone have a broken ac adapter that the cord which plugs into your tibook/dual usb ibook/albook is still in good condition? I want the part that has the charge status led on it and the thin cord connected to it. i will pay.

OutThere
Aug 22, 2003, 10:29 AM
I must agree that it would be easier to find someone who has the wire than by a new one-listed at 79.95 at the apple.com store.

idkew
Aug 22, 2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by OutThere761
I must agree that it would be easier to find someone who has the wire than by a new one-listed at 79.95 at the apple.com store.

thank you- i didn't not think i am asking too much

sparkleytone
Aug 22, 2003, 11:35 PM
lets see, ive gone through 5 of these stupid things. they are all defective and apple needs to do something. i have to go tomorrow and replace the one i bought three weeks ago. anyone else having the same kinds of problems?

powerbookmedic
Aug 23, 2003, 12:55 AM
I'd highly reccomend against doing a repair on the adapter. I've seen lots of people try this before and screw up the output voltage on the adapter and end up having to get a new logic board or more. It isn't worth the risk even if you know what you're doing. Buy a new one, sell the broken one on eBay as broken.

-Bradley