Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jne381

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Grand Rapids
I have an iPod Touch on order, and I noticed that the Apple iPod FireWire Power Adapter is compatible with the Touch.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=E7DB9D64&nplm=M8636G/C

I already have this adapter because my iPod Click Wheel was stolen last year, but I need the wire that will go from the power adapter to the iPod Touch (because they have different connectors).

The product I linked above does not come with the FireWire to Touch cable, or any cable for that matter, and I can't find it on the Apple website. If anyone knows where I can get this cable, from Apple or elsewhere, the info would be much appreciated.

jne381

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Grand Rapids
Because I already have the FireWire Power Adapter. I would rather not spend the extra $30 if I don't need to.

shoefly

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
So you have the power brick, but no firewire cable, correct?

Edit: question is for the OP, sorry.

jne381

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Grand Rapids
So you have the power brick, but no firewire cable, correct?

Edit: question is for the OP, sorry.

Yes, but I am pretty sure that Apple changed the iPod connector after making the Click Wheel. Hence, the FireWire to iPod cable I have will not work.

If I am wrong, and they did not change the connector on the bottom of the iPod, then this post is meaningless, and please let me know.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
im not actually sure, i bought it 3 years ago at my campus bookstore because i lost mine and thats all they had...

i think it might be a belkin but i wouldnt stick by that

sorry

shoefly

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
Yes, but I am pretty sure that Apple changed the iPod connector after making the Click Wheel. Hence, the FireWire to iPod cable I have will not work.

If I am wrong, and they did not change the connector on the bottom of the iPod, then this post is meaningless, and please let me know.

You say you have the firewire cable from your clickwheel iPod? I'm using my firewire cable from my original iPod mini (they came out before the fullsize iPod with clickwheel) with my 5G iPod, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work with the touch as well.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
if your connector is from a 3G or later iPod then it has the same dock connector, the previous ones were just a firewire cable I think.

thegrue

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
I believe you can charge from firewire but you can't sync through FireWire, only USB

Correct. Apple abandoned their own interconnect hardware to use a technology with more market penetration, but slower transfers and inferior charging characteristics. So, after the 4th gen iPod, only USB can be used for transfers, but either can be used for power. I'd rather pay the extra couple of bucks per iPod to get the FireWire controller for the sake of faster transfers.

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
Correct. Apple abandoned their own interconnect hardware to use a technology with more market penetration, but slower transfers and inferior charging characteristics. So, after the 4th gen iPod, only USB can be used for transfers, but either can be used for power. I'd rather pay the extra couple of bucks per iPod to get the FireWire controller for the sake of faster transfers.

I think another reason might've been size. I think the FireWire controllers were larger chips than the USB controllers. Also, Apple would have to include both FireWire and USB controllers, due to FireWire's lack of market penetration. Having both chips would obviously increase the size.

I'd rather pay the extra couple bucks too - I was very sad to see FireWire disappear from the iPod. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.