Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After nearly a month without an update, Apple has delivered a Leopard update to developers. First, a new version of the Leopard Software Update Client has been seeded through Leopard's Mac OS X Software Update. Once this new Software Update tool is installed, Apple also provides Mac OS X Leopard Client Seed Update.

The new Seed Update is "recommended for all users running Mac OS X Leopard 9A527 or 9A528" and brings the Leopard seed up to 9A528d. The update includes general fixes and is also meant to test the new version of Software Update.

Leopard seeds have been notably absent in the past 3-4 weeks. Apple's October deadline for Leopard is quickly approaching. Leopard will need to be finalized soon to ramp up duplication and distribution for the October release timeline.

Apple's last major Mac OS X release (Tiger, 10.4) was declared Gold Master on March 31, 2005. Tiger was later launched in retail stores on Friday, April 29th, 2005, almost one month later.

Article Link

Football1maniac

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
I was expecting an iPhone update but oh well, this is just as good. Amazing week for Apple, I wonder where the Steve Jobs Bandwagon Tour of Europe is going next? Maybe to go kill a Tiger. :D:apple:

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
All I can say is, I better be wowed!

Or else, what, you're going to buy Vista?

It's no surprise. You already know what's coming. What's left to be wowed about?

I just want the damn OS already. New finder baby!

Rocketman

macrumors 603
When you go into Costco to buy an iPod, what you pick up from the pallet of packages is a fancy face card you take to check-out and on completion of transaction you take a voucher to the "valuable goods" window to pick up your actual iPod.

I predict most OSX 10.5 users will buy a download certificate with a low-cost add-on fee for physical artifact discs, which can be picked up at your Apple Store (or Best Buy or whatever) for free or shipped for a small fee. In the mean time, most people will already be cheerfully running OSX 10.5 weeks before.

Software update has been tracking unapproved copies of OSX for years. They just have a non-enforcement policy.

Rocketman

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
If I recall weren't there a few builds known to be release candidates prior to Tiger being declared Gold Master? There's been absolutely no word about this build being RC1, so far as I know.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
I'm pretty excited about it, that's for sure.

I'm just planning on getting it when it comes included with my new iMac purchase... whenever that happens.

thestaton

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
Man, I hope you are right! That would be excellent.

When you go into Costco to buy an iPod, what you pick up from the pallet of packages is a fancy face card you take to check-out and on completion of transaction you take a voucher to the "valuable goods" window to pick up your actual iPod.

I predict most OSX 10.5 users will buy a download certificate with a low-cost add-on fee for physical artifact discs, which can be picked up at your Apple Store (or Best Buy or whatever) for free or shipped for a small fee. In the mean time, most people will already be cheerfully running OSX 10.5 weeks before.

Software update has been tracking unapproved copies of OSX for years. They just have a non-enforcement policy.

Rocketman

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
so does anyone know how stable this version is yet?

Seeing as I've been using 527 for a couple of weeks with no issues whatsoever, I would think this build is just as good. I used the transfer user account option from a 10.4.10 volume, worked great. I have noticed that Sixtyforce, a N64 emulator that has yet to be updated for 10.5, runs a lot better in 10.5 than 10.4.10 along with alot of other stuff, just an observation.

Dual 2.0 G5 Tower, 1 GB RAM, Memorex DL-DVD Burner added.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK

Rocketman

I was thinking about this the other day, actually.

I think I've lost my Tiger DVD - fortunately I still have the DVD's that came with my iMac... (but not the ones for my powerbook) - but wouldn't it be so much more convenient if you could buy Leopard for 20% less than a physical copy?

1. It's good for the environment (no packaging)
2. Instant software delivery. We could be downloading it as soon as it goes master.
2. You could re-download any time - automatic backup copy whenever you need it

I say they should do it! And soon!

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
If they only went from 9A528 to 9A528d can we assume that it's a pretty minor update? Hopefully this is the last build before it goes Gold. Also, any news on 10.4.11? Apple seems to release the last revision of the old OS close to the launch of the new OS, so 10.4.11 should be coming out any week now.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
but wouldn't it be so much more convenient if you could buy Leopard for 20% less than a physical copy?

but if you download it then how can you install it, you need to boot from a disk and it is a lot easier to use the physical media than to download and burn a bootable copy, especially since the Mac Mini still comes with a combo drive on the low end so owners of that computer could not burn and install it.

kungming2

macrumors regular
May 31, 2007
I was thinking about this the other day, actually.

I think I've lost my Tiger DVD - fortunately I still have the DVD's that came with my iMac... (but not the ones for my powerbook) - but wouldn't it be so much more convenient if you could buy Leopard for 20% less than a physical copy?

1. It's good for the environment (no packaging)
2. Instant software delivery. We could be downloading it as soon as it goes master.
2. You could re-download any time - automatic backup copy whenever you need it

I say they should do it! And soon!

There's a lot of people with less-than-stable or less-than-fast internet connections.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.