PDA

View Full Version : Macs in print

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 21, 2003, 09:23 PM
I just got my text book for my computer science 101 course this fall at the university. It's pretty cool, actually, Apple gets a LOT of respect in the text. The book credits Apple with bringing the personal computing into the homes.

Check out this quote:
"Under his [Steve Jobs'] leadership, Apple has regained its innovative edge, releasing a flurry of successful products that combine high technology with high style... Apple retains an almost fanatically loyal customer base..."

They even got the other Steve's name right. They call him "Woz"!

When talking about operating systems, the book only talks about XP as combining the home versions of Windows and the business versions into one.

OS X is described as "stylish" and "animated" and is "built on UNIX, the powerful OS known for security and stability..."

The last quote, about peripherals: "Most newer PCs, following in the mouseprints of the Apple iMac, include high-speed, hot-swappable USB and FireWire (IEEE 1394) ports..."

Nice to get some respect in the textbooks! :D

vollspacken
Aug 22, 2003, 09:09 AM
WORD!!! respect where respect is due..!

vSpacken

idea_hamster
Aug 22, 2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
["]Apple retains an almost fanatically loyal customer base...["]
Interesting. I've heard this said before, and my first reaction was, "What do you mean, 'Almost'?", since (sometimes) I do feel like a fanatic -- not that there's anything wrong with that.

But it occurred to me that being a "fanatic" follower carries the connotation (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the following is somehow baseless or unreasoned. I'm not sure that this is the case. Can you really be a fanatic if you like the system that's demostrably better? Hmmm...

mactastic
Aug 22, 2003, 11:53 AM
I've heard a fanatic defined as someone who can't change the subject, and won't shut up. :D

jzieske
Aug 22, 2003, 12:30 PM
We are gaining respect one person at a time. Soon the world will be ours.

(okay that might be dreaming but how about 10% marketshare, that would be just as good to me.)

dswoodley
Aug 22, 2003, 01:05 PM
What text is that? Could you post the title?

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 22, 2003, 03:59 PM
Computer Confluence, fifth edition, by George Beekman. He's actually a professor at my university (Oregon State).

xpormac
Aug 22, 2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by idea_hamster
Can you really be a fanatic if you like the system that's demostrably better? Hmmm...

yes, but neither system is better.