PDA

View Full Version : How do new people get ranked so quickly!?

Gus
Aug 21, 2003, 11:46 PM
I mean, I really know the answer, they post all day and night, but sheesh, there are some poeple that registered in June that have well over 1500 posts aleady. How is it possible to spend that much time in the forums? I check them quite often, but I've been here about 2 years, and I'm only a 6502.

I don't really care about the rankings, by the way, it's more of a question of sheer volume that dumbfounds me at this point.

Regards,
Gus

Durandal7
Aug 21, 2003, 11:50 PM
Wha? We can still post in this section? I thought all the archive sections were locked...

:confused:

edesignuk
Aug 22, 2003, 02:33 AM
I know what you mean, Powerbook G5 (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=18793) has been here 2 months and has over 1000 posts!!!

Gus
Aug 22, 2003, 12:12 PM
That is the exact person I was thinking of! Seriously, if it takes 10 seconds to click reply, think of a reply, type it and post it, and you have 1000 posts, you have spent 166 2/3 minutes on posting. Now we all know that is more like 30 seconds to post something at least half-way meaningful, so that makes it 500 minutes. Nevermind, this is getting stupid. ;)

It's a LOT of posting in a short amount of time.

Regards,
Gus

tazo
Aug 22, 2003, 02:19 PM
*me hides in corner of macrumors.com*

:( :D :D :D

And umm how can we post in this archive? wierd...

Gus
Aug 22, 2003, 04:13 PM
Arn left this one open because we had asked him to when he reorganized the forums. It's nice, I think, actually. :)

Regards,
Gus

King Cobra
Aug 22, 2003, 06:51 PM
Well would it be any better if this thread was in the Wasteland and we could post in there?

BTW: There have been newbies with even more time on their hands than Powerbook G5 or duke, or both put together. Registered member (then demoted) samdweck had over 240 posts in a period of 72 hours. :eek: :eek:

Edit: Hey, you can also edit posts in the Archives. :D

MacFan25
Aug 24, 2003, 02:56 PM
I used to post much more than I do now. I still spend a lot of time on here, but just don't say as much.

This site can be very addictive, and I bet that I haven't gone more than 4 days of not going to it since I registered. :eek: :D

Doctor Q
Aug 24, 2003, 03:12 PM
I first arrived at MacRumors looking for shopping advice. Then I found I could help people, which I like to do in the real world too. Then I started joining in general Mac and community discussions and feeling like many of the other members were friends. Now I check the forums almost daily so I don't miss "something important".

Giaguara
Aug 24, 2003, 10:40 PM
simple. i think all those 1500 posts in a month have no life. ;) :p

the most insane i've ever got is 2800-something since november. :rolleyes: :eek:

Mr. Anderson
Aug 25, 2003, 08:00 AM
I have a bit of time between renderings, so I end up here a lot. Although, things will eventually change and I won't be posting as much, its not that hard to post a lot during the course of the day.

Besides, there are so many different discussions, its easy to get sucked in once in a while. ;)

D

Doctor Q
Aug 25, 2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
I have a bit of time between renderings, so I end up here a lot. Do you mean a bit of time DURING renderings? So the faster your Mac gets, the less time you'll spend at MacRumors?

MacAztec
Aug 27, 2003, 09:36 PM
This is my first post in this place.

I first came here by a link from MacSurfer in like 2001. I realized its a cool place, and I decided to keep posting.

Doctor Q
Aug 27, 2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by MacAztec
I first came here by a link from MacSurfer in like 2001. I realized its a cool place, and I decided to keep posting. I see you just became a 68020, MacAztec. Congratulations!

So far, I've only convinced one other person to join MacRumors. I guess I travel in the wrong circles.

janey
Aug 30, 2003, 12:09 AM
heh...i've been here for several months and i'm a 68020...i wish i just had the time to post more often...but IRC is so addictive you know...and so is cybering with ibookin' :p

Giaguara
Aug 30, 2003, 12:12 AM
well i guess i do have 'life' out there as im still in 300+ posts so not even an avatar. :)

Doctor Q
Aug 30, 2003, 12:17 AM
Once you stop counting, the posts add up faster. Remember the old saying "A watched pot never boils?" The same thing applies. If you have something to say on a topic, chime in and contribute. If you don't, don't. That way your post count represents your time, effort, participation, and contributions, not just how many times you can click a Submit button.

Hey, übergeek! Nice to see you back today. Too much time in the real (non-MacRumors) world can be harmful to your health!

MrMacMan
Aug 30, 2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q

Hey, übergeek! Nice to see you back today. Too much time in the real (non-MacRumors) world can be harmful to your health!

Indeed.

Real life is dangerous!

:p

I was looking at todays Birthdays and then I see this section...

Me 'What the 8-30- 2003'??? So there I am here now.

Its very possible to quote someone and say 'I agree'... I mean posting crap is easy.

:)

I only post '4475 (5.68 posts per day)' 5.7 a day.... but in reality I post about 10-20 a day.

That is because I left for like 9 months...

:eek:

Doctor Q
Aug 30, 2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
I only post '4475 (5.68 posts per day)' 5.7 a day.... but in reality I post about 10-20 a day. That is because I left for like 9 months...That kind of behavior really messes up my extrapolations (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31339)!

MrMacMan
Aug 31, 2003, 11:54 PM
That kind of behavior really messes up my extrapolations (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31339)!

Yeah I was away when you did that, if you noticed... nothing for like 9 pages and then I'm like
'YYEEEAAAAH!!!!

Woohoo!'

haha, they should have a better system IMO.

Post Over Lifetime -- 5.7
Posts over past 6 Months -- 20.2 (dunno, guessing)

In case you noticed I'm #10 currently... so that means you were waay off.

haha.
:p :D

You should do that again sometime.

When you get the time of coarse!~!

Doctor Q
Sep 1, 2003, 12:39 AM
I plan to, at the end of the year. Gotta earn my fame and fortune somehow. Maybe it'll lead to a career as a palm reader.

MrMacMan
Sep 1, 2003, 05:50 PM
I plan to, at the end of the year. Gotta earn my fame and fortune somehow. Maybe it'll lead to a career as a palm reader.

Haha, I hear that.

Maybe you can get it right this time?

:p

What the hell...

How did Vniow Lose 300+ Posts?!?!!?

Anyway... I'll give you an award if you keep doing it!

vniow
Sep 1, 2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
What the hell...

How did Vniow Lose 300+ Posts?!?!!?

What the hell?!?

I had almost 4600 the other day, now I'm down to less than 4200?!?

pivo6
Sep 1, 2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by vniow
What the hell?!?

I just checked and I've lost 100. It's not a lot, but percentage wise to drop from 384 to 284 is a lot. Oh well. No big deal.

Doctor Q
Sep 1, 2003, 08:11 PM
I had over 1500 posts, and now I'm down to 1435. Even odder, I didn't revert from a 68000 back to a 65816. Maybe the proximity of Mars caused a rift in the space-time continuum. It certainly wouldn't be the first time! :p

tazo
Sep 2, 2003, 11:33 AM
I lost abou 100 posts, so i was not nearly off as bad as some of the other high posting members

bobindashadows
Sep 3, 2003, 10:18 AM
I had over 1500 posts, and now I'm down to 1435. Even odder, I didn't revert from a 68000 back to a 65816. Maybe the proximity of Mars caused a rift in the space-time continuum. It certainly wouldn't be the first time! :p
Hey all.. first post in a place for older people, despite the fact that I've only been here for a year and a half and can talk here...

Umm... you did go down to a 65816 *nelson "Ha ha"* I post like 5 a day, sometimes more, if I get caught up telling people they're wrong... err.. i mean a political discussion ;)

Doctor Q
Sep 4, 2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by bobindashadows
You did go down to a 65816 *nelson "Ha ha"*Yes I did, but not at the same time that my post count was recomputed. The delay was puzzling. But thanks for the sound effect - I've never gotten my own personal Nelson before.

As it turns out, I'm pleased that my count dropped. You only get to be a 65832 for 5 posts, and I missed noticing when it happened to me. Now I get to relive history and have a second chance to notice as the big event goes by! (Hey, what can I say? I thrill easily.)

idkew
Oct 22, 2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by vniow
What the hell?!?

When a thread is wastelanded, you lose the post count from that thread. According to Arn, it takes a while for the reduction to kick in.

I think posting 1000 posts in a few months is rediculous. I have just over 800 and it has taken me since Sept of 2001 to get here. Posting a ton of worhtless stuff, in my opinion, is a waste of time and electrons.

job
Oct 23, 2003, 05:51 PM
also, posts made in the poliwar forum no longer count towards post count. many people dropped from '6502' to 'member.' many older members, such as b2tm lost thousands on their post count.

Macmaniac
Nov 21, 2003, 09:28 PM
Grr I post to slow, at this rate with the waste land reduction I will never break 2000:(