PDA

View Full Version : iPod and sound check

Hugh
Sep 21, 2007, 06:58 AM
Can some one tell me, what does Sound Check on the iPod do? If it's to adjust the volume on the songs to match it, then my iPod is broken.. :(

Hugh

Zwhaler
Sep 21, 2007, 10:03 AM
I'm not sure what it does exactly, but I have noticed that it has a profound effect on CERTAIN songs, while on other songs the volume stays the same. When it does anything at all, it only lowers the volume. Quite pointless if you ask me...

iNeko
Sep 21, 2007, 11:17 AM
it only works if you have sound check enabled in iTunes - it finds the "normal" level for all the songs in your library and adjusts the volume meta tag (in decibels I think) for each song (so in theory when you play your music, all the songs are at the same volume)

Then when you turn it on on your iPod, it reads the volume tag iTunes set. So when you play music on your iPod, the songs are all the same volume - great if you listen to a lot of rock and classical. That way you don't have to get your iPod out to turn the volume down when a rock track comes on (or up when a classical piece plays).

The only problem I have with it, is that the games like to turn Sound Check off - so if I want to play a game, all of a sudden I have music blaring though my headphones :(

superman1988
Sep 21, 2007, 01:23 PM
What the sound check will do is, if you have the volume adjustment up very high and have the ipod volume turned up high also it will decrease the volume so you don't blow your ear drums out. handy if you have songs that have a low volume adjustment and ones with high volume adjustment, as it helps even them out.

Hugh
Sep 21, 2007, 06:37 PM
Yeah, okay I can hear that it is doing that. I just thought it was to make all the music on volume. :(

Thanks for the input!

Hugh

What the sound check will do is, if you have the volume adjustment up very high and have the ipod volume turned up high also it will decrease the volume so you don't blow your ear drums out. handy if you have songs that have a low volume adjustment and ones with high volume adjustment, as it helps even them out.