PDA

View Full Version : Slim Aluminum MacBooks Soon

Pages : [1] 2

Devil's Refugee
Sep 21, 2007, 05:20 AM
Taken from 9to5mac.com (which has been pretty spot on to date)

http://www.9to5mac.com/apple-to-release-new-aluminum-macbooks-7456543

We have received some information about some upcoming Apple laptops - we think they are MacBooks but aren't 100 percent sure they aren't the fabled Pro slim line.

What we know:

Black aluminum and silver aluminum (like MacBook Pros) have been seen

They are considerably slimmer than current MacBook and even a bit more than MacBook Pros

The screen reaches much closer to the edges than current MacBooks but is the same size as current MacBooks - indicating a somewhat smaller footprint

The keyboards resemble Apple's new Bluetooth Keyboard

There is something strange about the touchpad (more on this to come)

They are set to be priced extremely aggressively

While they are dense, overall they are lighter than the current MacBooks

What we are wondering:

Will there be colors like the Nanos? (Red) would be hot.
Will the hard drives and memory be easily upgraded?
Will they be in the Pro or Consumer lineup?
Will they be released with the Leopard announcement? Before Christmas? Macworld?
Is Apple over White?

I reckon they could be out for MacWorld and new Intel refresh....

D1G1T4L
Sep 21, 2007, 05:35 AM
Wouldn't surprise me as they are the last "plastic" mac line in production.

Plus the Macbook is the last white Mac.

bananas
Sep 21, 2007, 05:44 AM
Oh yes, my :apple: dreams are coming true!

:D

strurtle
Sep 21, 2007, 05:51 AM
black aluminum??? niiiiiice!!!

samh004
Sep 21, 2007, 05:54 AM
Would be very nice, although do we really need them thinner still, I'd like them to be sleek, but cool (as in temperature) too...

Unfortunately I now have a very nice BlackBook, so... not for me :(

MacRumors
Sep 21, 2007, 07:53 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

9to5mac reports (http://9to5mac.com/apple-to-release-new-aluminum-macbooks-7456543) that Apple is readying MacBook updates in the near future which will see new enclosures.

The new enclosures have been seen in both Black and Silver aluminum variants and are "considerably slimmer" than the current MacBook and a bit slimmer than the current MacBook Pros. The enclosures are said to have a thinner border around the LCDs, and the keyboards resemble the new Bluetooth keyboard (http://www.apple.com/keyboard/).

Cryptically, they claim that "there is something strange about the touchpad" but details are promised at a later date.

While they believe these represent the consumer MacBook revisions, they can't exclude that this may be the long rumored "thin" MacBook. The MacBook was last updated on May 15, 2007 (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/05/15/apple-releases-new-macbooks/).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/21/slim-aluminum-macbooks-soon/)

atari1356
Sep 21, 2007, 07:55 AM
Stick a dedicated graphics card in there and they'll have a real winner.

Manic Mouse
Sep 21, 2007, 07:57 AM
My MacBook runs fairly hot, so how toastin' are these bad boys gonna be with a thinner, metal design?

It'll be a little sad to see the white plastic design finally laid to rest, I kind of like it.

adom
Sep 21, 2007, 07:57 AM
i bet they look similar in colour / style as the new ipod classics to harmonise the product range...;)

Eideard
Sep 21, 2007, 07:58 AM
Possibly, the "pinch" tech from the iPhone is making its way to the MacBook touchpad.

mainstreetmark
Sep 21, 2007, 07:59 AM
Dammit!! I was just about to head to the Apple store this weekend to replace my ailing Blackbook (which now requires it to be plugged in to a wall, and new this week, needs an external monitor since it thinks the lid is closed all the time).

Now, I have to sit on my hands. Maybe it's a good idea since I'll wait for Leopard too....

Lord Bodak
Sep 21, 2007, 08:00 AM
Please Apple, bring us something in the old 12" form factor! My 12" G4 Powerbook is getting old and I don't want anything bigger!

BKKbill
Sep 21, 2007, 08:00 AM
"there is something strange about the touchpad" now isn't this interesting. Aluminum will help cooling.

Merkuryy
Sep 21, 2007, 08:02 AM
hmmmmm, now that all Apple main product are made of AL,what kind of change will have the MBP? I love my 2.2ghz MBP,but a new outside design will really do good to the MBP.Also, Apple seem to be stick to the 13.3 inch screen for the MB,may be we will see a 12.1 inch MBP as a highend machine:rolleyes:

happydude
my current powerbook G4 has a big crack down the middle of the screen and i've been waiting for the "thin" macbook or a 12" macbook pro to replace it. hopefully this is it!

though, the aluminum case cuts down on the range of the wifi card. my wife's macbook picks up faint wireless networks far better than my powerbook. other than appearance, what is the benefit of the aluminum case?

Roy Hobbs
Please Apple, bring us something in the old 12" form factor! My 12" G4 Powerbook is getting old and I don't want anything bigger!

There won't be anything in the same form factor as the old 12 inch PBs. anything released will be WIDEscreen

QCassidy352
Sep 21, 2007, 08:03 AM
if these rumors are true, it may be enough to break my resolve (i've had my macbook 18 months, which is a long time by my standards ;))

mmzplanet
Sep 21, 2007, 08:03 AM
How far off could these be? I am looking at getting a MacBook in the next couple of days. Based on this rumor and its source, should I wait... or is this something that if its true will be months away.

syklee26
Sep 21, 2007, 08:04 AM
touchpad is probably getting the multitouch function a la iPhones.

that also means it will recognize handwriting too.

slicecom

Same here! I love my 12" Powerbook, but if the new Macbook has a small enough bezel (and it will obviously be widescreen) it might be almost as small.

berkleeboy210
I was literally just about to trash the home PC, make my current Dell laptop (which is a nice machine, for a Dell) the home computer. and Buy a MacBook w/ my Edu. Discount and $100 iPhone Rebate. Guess I'll be sticking w/ this Dell for a bit, here's hoping they have an other Event coinsiding with Leapord Release and ship these babies out. Hopefully they will still remain in the same price range, Oh how I'd love to pick up a nice shiny aluminum macbook for $899 :D

justflie
Sep 21, 2007, 08:05 AM
9to5mac has been pretty on-the-money lately. It will be interesting to see how this rumor turns out. Apple certainly has been busy lately. :apple:

koobcamuk
Sep 21, 2007, 08:05 AM
Possibly, the "pinch" tech from the iPhone is making its way to the MacBook touchpad.

Yup. I saw the new keyboard coming soon - obvious really.

Is this the fabled 13" MBP?

If so, get your wallets ready people!

0racle
Sep 21, 2007, 08:08 AM
This is going to hurt the resale value of my current MacBook.

AdeFowler
Sep 21, 2007, 08:08 AM
I'm intending to replace my much loved 15" PowerBook in January. I believe we'll see the entire pro line-up completely updated at MacWorld SF.

berkleeboy210
Sep 21, 2007, 08:09 AM
Oh, and I thought of a Great Title for an event of this nature. how about this:

We're Slimming Down Join us at Moscone West, 10am October 23

koobcamuk

The resale value isn't great anyway - which is a shame.

I am going to hold off for another year I think.

notjustjay
Excellent, if true. My PowerBook G4 just breathed its last after four faithful years (well, the HD died... I'm sure the rest of it's fine) and I wouldn't mind a replacement.

Now to start saving money.

bdj21ya
Sep 21, 2007, 08:10 AM
Sounds AWESOME! Bring 'em on, these sound like they will be a sweet update, let's hope we see them before Christman--sounds like we will.

jonnylink
Sep 21, 2007, 08:11 AM

I think you might have to swallow your pride and deal with the extra inch.

koobcamuk
Sep 21, 2007, 08:13 AM

It's easy for some to swallow an extra inch :eek:

9to5 have been spot on so far. Let's hope this is true. It'll be interesting. I think I'll wait a year until the tech really develops and then buy one - probably selling my MacBook to my brother.

lanray
Sep 21, 2007, 08:20 AM
Here's a thought - wouldn't it be cool if the touchpad were actually a screen, too, a la the iPhone and iPod Touch? Then, the computer could display information there as well, and you could (of course) use it to move the cursor around, pinch, etc.

roland.g
Sep 21, 2007, 08:24 AM
Anorexic Macbooks? Hmm...
Must be cutting down on the carbs.

gloss
Sep 21, 2007, 08:25 AM
I would actually trade up my current MacBook (rev. A) for one of these babies. Mm.

zane19
Sep 21, 2007, 08:25 AM

Stick a dedicated graphics card and macbook pro sales will go down. Its a great idea though, I already want one.

Sky Blue
Sep 21, 2007, 08:27 AM
good bye white apple products, i'll miss you.

gloss
Sep 21, 2007, 08:29 AM
Stick a dedicated graphics card and macbook pro sales will go down. Its a great idea though, I already want one.

Doesn't have to be as good a card as in the Pros, y'know.

fastbite
Sep 21, 2007, 08:29 AM
if it's from 9to5mac.com It may well be true. I would love a thinner model as described and with some further touchy touchy stuff on the trackpad, perfect.

MacinDoc
Sep 21, 2007, 08:34 AM
"Aggressively priced" = Intel GMA graphics.

nlivo
Sep 21, 2007, 08:35 AM
i am planning on getting a macbook in early november. hopefully it'll be these bad boys.

Dagless
Sep 21, 2007, 08:38 AM
I thought it might be that whole ¨lower part of the laptop¨ would be a touch pad, but then what about wrists and typing?

I'm more interested in this touchpad than anything else :D

But a metal MacBook? This could be the machine to replace my 12¨ PowerBook.

Hattig
Sep 21, 2007, 08:41 AM
Yeah, the touchpad will actually be a 480x320 LCD screen like the iPhone's, allowing you to do far more than a standard trackpad. Pinch, etc. Showing a preview on that screen so you can see what you are doing, or performing other control measures - for example playback controls in iTunes/Quicktime/Keynote.

Or it'll simply be a tweak to the current trackpad adding pinch functionality alongside all the other functions.

I find using my work Dell's trackpad extremely difficult because I'm used to my iBook's trackpad. Double-fingering to scroll is so natural ...

rabatjoie
Sep 21, 2007, 08:43 AM
*crosses fingers*

*checks bank account*

Merser
Sep 21, 2007, 08:43 AM
Dammit!! I was just about to head to the Apple store this weekend to replace my ailing Blackbook (which now requires it to be plugged in to a wall, and new this week, needs an external monitor since it thinks the lid is closed all the time).

Now, I have to sit on my hands. Maybe it's a good idea since I'll wait for Leopard too....

Ughh you have an "ailing Blackbook?". That makes me nervous since I got my blackbook the week it came out.

By the way, mine had same issue (regarding having to be plugged into the wall) I took it to the apple store (2 months after my 1 year ran out) I was expecting to have to buy a new battery. They replaced it no questions asked and its been fine ever since.

zombitronic
Sep 21, 2007, 08:44 AM
"there is something strange about the touchpad"

C'mon, Multi-Touch!!

the vj
Sep 21, 2007, 08:46 AM
12", 12", 12" please!

I hope they do not blend like my 12"s. They never set firm on a table any more.

iMichael72
Sep 21, 2007, 08:55 AM
^
I'd love to see a 12" Macbook as well. But I'd be happy with anything less than 15"

MattyMac
Sep 21, 2007, 08:55 AM
if these rumors are true, it may be enough to break my resolve (i've had my macbook 18 months, which is a long time by my standards ;))

Hey you're lucky to get pre-released products...the MacBook has only been out to the rest of us for 16 months!!! :p

Fabio_gsilva
Sep 21, 2007, 08:58 AM
My Rev. A MBP is looking a little old... hehe!

Let's wait and see what is in the tracks for us...

aswitcher
Sep 21, 2007, 09:03 AM
Aggressively priced makes me think that it wont have really innovative features like a touchscreen trackpad, GPS or anything else new.

Still could be an excellent little take anywhere Mac...just what I am after.

It would rock if they did a pro version with a real graphics card and the touch trackpad.

naraic
Sep 21, 2007, 09:06 AM
12", 12", 12" please!

^
I'd love to see a 12" Macbook as well. But I'd be happy with anything less than 15"

Taken from the 9to5 report:

The screen reaches much closer to the edges than current MacBooks but is the same size as current MacBooks - indicating a somewhat smaller footprint

I like the 13.3" screen anyway, its a really nice size, just a pity there was so much plastic surrounding screen on the Macbooks. Smaller footprint and 13.3" sounds great to me... ;)

gloss
Sep 21, 2007, 09:09 AM
ArsTechnica's (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/09/21/macbook-thin-rumor-is-back-almost-ready-for-release) writer also notes that his friend who works at Apple is 'very excited' for the next set of MacBook laptops, 'for his own personal use'.

Sounds fun.

mrkramer
Sep 21, 2007, 09:10 AM
I hope that this happens, 9to5 had previously said new MBPs at Macworld, so if this is the pro line it's coming out at Macworld, otherwise it would make the most sense for it to come out with Lepoard at the end of October.

georgetang
Sep 21, 2007, 09:11 AM
Well, Apple indeed are dumping the plastic material on their product.

Just check the latest iPod Classic, they are indeed, silver brushed aluminum, and/or black brushed aluminum, also check the latest iMac.

It's silver with black.

Look at the new keyboard.

So, I won't guess wrong, that Apple will lunch new Macbook right with Mac OSX 10.5, and would be the best seller for this holiday season.

They might even come up with a promotion: "All-new-Macbook & iPod Classic"

George Tang
georgetang@hotmail.com

JamesWvr
Sep 21, 2007, 09:13 AM
The enclosures are said to have a thinner border around the LCDs, and the keyboards resemble the new Bluetooth keyboard (http://www.apple.com/keyboard/).

Of course the keyboard will resemble the new Bluetooth keyboard! The Bluetooth keyboard is almost exactly the same as the keyboards on the current MacBooks!

aswitcher
Sep 21, 2007, 09:13 AM
ArsTechnica's (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/09/21/macbook-thin-rumor-is-back-almost-ready-for-release) writer also notes that his friend who works at Apple is 'very excited' for the next set of MacBook laptops, 'for his own personal use'.

Sounds fun.

13.3" works for me if its lighter and thinner.

I really hope its got a DVI/HDMI out.

plumbingandtech
Sep 21, 2007, 09:14 AM

I'm confused with this statement.

If the screen reaches the edge then it is either bigger or the edges have come in more (making it smaller) yet they claim the same footprint.

Anyone?

RichP
Sep 21, 2007, 09:18 AM

If the screen reaches the edge then it is either bigger or the edges have come in more (making it smaller) yet they claim the same footprint.

Anyone?

Screen is still 13.3" but the machine overall is a little smaller.

Yateball

Anyone?

They don't claim the same footprint at all.... quite the opposite, read what you quoted again, it very clearly indicates a "somewhat smaller footprint"... which means the edges came in.

gloss

Anyone?

They claim a 'somewhat smaller' footprint, yes?

Squonk
Sep 21, 2007, 09:21 AM
Here's a thought - wouldn't it be cool if the touchpad were actually a screen, too, a la the iPhone and iPod Touch? Then, the computer could display information there as well, and you could (of course) use it to move the cursor around, pinch, etc.

That would be very weird, I think. I don't see this happening on a MB due to cost reasons.

"Aggressively priced" = Intel GMA graphics.

Right. But if they move the MB up to Santa Rosa platform, that has much better integrated graphics, right? The X3100 or something along those lines.

I would find it odd if the MB got a full on chassis makeover before the MBP, the flagship. I really just want a MBP with a replaceable hard drive that won't void the warranty. They got it right on the MB's!

powderblue17
Sep 21, 2007, 09:21 AM
No matter what Apple releases you can be sure that right after the unveiling their will be a flood of people flocking to MacRumors to post how disappointed they are with something about it or how ugly it is. It never fails.

plumbingandtech
Sep 21, 2007, 09:22 AM
Gloss, Yateball, RichP

Thanks! I just plain missed that part. My mistake.

Whooo SMALLER!

I'm now looking at this as a companion notebook to my macpro... I really wanted a subnotebook but this sounds like it would be small enough for me.

CommodityFetish
Sep 21, 2007, 09:24 AM
Sweet news! This is what I've been waiting for to replace my original AL 15" PB - 4 years old now...

I especially like "aggressively priced", and really hope they don't have a CD drive - that would allow thinner, cooler, lighter, cheaper.

:)

scruch
Sep 21, 2007, 09:26 AM
From August this 2007 sounds really like the roadmap of the second part of 2003 .. i can remember that :

At the end of august new Imac
and then at the Paris Expo new Powerbook lineup
and then Panther

new imac just released
at paris expo maibe Macbook and Mbp lineup?
and then Leopard..

if we will exclude not macintosh stuff.. like iphone and ipod.. it sounds really similar.

I think i gonna buy a new macbook too if they not do a Mbp lineup..

Tousiger
Sep 21, 2007, 09:27 AM
black aluminum??? niiiiiice!!!

I completely aggree with you :D

williedigital
Sep 21, 2007, 09:31 AM
Wasn't there a rumor or apple investing heavily in finding better plastic compositions? That wouldn't seem to be necessary given all the alu products apparently in the pipeline. I'm almost positive this will be mac book pro nano rather than standard macbook. I'm sure they want to leverage the nano name, will want the pro to have updated tech first, and the pro needs an update a lot worse.

hayesk
Sep 21, 2007, 09:32 AM

Why not just get it fixed? Wow, have we become such a wasteful, throw-away society that we can't even fix our computers? ;)

rbroady
Sep 21, 2007, 09:33 AM
ive been wanting a black aluminum elnclosure for quite some time, ever since they came out with the silver. I already have a fresh macbook pro, but i cant wait to see the new gear.

Rhosfelt
Sep 21, 2007, 09:34 AM
Honestly I don't like the aluminum look.. That is why I bought my iMac before the new ones came out.. I actually like this style better haha..

Don't get me wrong I had a ibook at one point, then upgraded to the Powerbook, and I'd have to say I feel in love instantly. It is just that I get really poopy signal with the new MacBook Pro, and I do like the looks of a white laptop better! No one else has that!

However as long as my apple logo still glows brighter than all the dell's screens in my psyc class I am good :)

jackc
Sep 21, 2007, 09:34 AM
Dude, I'm gettin' a MacBook!

drchipinski
Sep 21, 2007, 09:36 AM
I completely aggree with you :D

YUMMY! :)

Eidorian
Sep 21, 2007, 09:37 AM
I'd get one if it's priced well.

*Prays for 8400M GS/Mobility HD 2400XT*

CommodityFetish
Sep 21, 2007, 09:37 AM
I bet it will be before the holidays:

- last MB revision with no Santa Rosa was a clear stopgap for a few months, not enough to last through the key holiday season until January.

- MB is now the only white/plastic mac, they will want it to match the rest going into holidays, including ipods, etc. Even the apple website has the brushed aluminum bar at the top rather than the old white tabs. Aluminum recycles better - the greener apple line.

- aggressively priced, Steve's really hyping the holiday season at the ipod release, and a new OS to promote. It's go-time!

Am3822
Sep 21, 2007, 09:41 AM
So, will they use the BT keyboard style for the new MBPs as well? I don't know if it's such a great idea.

MrCrowbar
Sep 21, 2007, 09:42 AM
I would actually trade up my current MacBook (rev. A) for one of these babies. Mm.

Me too. It's been a real bitch with repairs and still not fixed. Spent 3 months in the shop in total...

What do I do about that intermittent backlight flickering? If you know it, pm me please ;)

Sean7512
Sep 21, 2007, 09:44 AM
Would be my luck since I just bought my macbook on sunday...oh well, i'll live

Rhosfelt
So, will they use the BT keyboard style for the new MBPs as well? I don't know if it's such a great idea.

As long as they can keep the backlight keyboard, I don't think they'd do away with that. It's kind of a "key" difference between the two models.

brsboarder
So, what are some realistic places we'll see this released? macworld is after the season, so it won't be then. Someone give me some dates!

gloss
Sep 21, 2007, 09:46 AM
Me too. It's been a real bitch with repairs and still not fixed. Spent 3 months in the shop in total...

What do I do about that intermittent backlight flickering? If you know it, pm me please ;)

I actually have not had a single problem with mine outside of some case discoloration. I'm sort of stunned, but hey, when you've got it, you've got it.

Of course, I've had two defective iPod touches in a row, so.

Eidorian
So, what are some realistic places we'll see this released? macworld is after the season, so it won't be then. Someone give me some dates!Apple Expo and post-Leopard look good.

Unspeaked
I bet Spain and Italy will ban these for setting an unrealistic ideal slimness that the PC manufactures can't attain.

lord patton
12", 12", 12" please!

I have a 12" PB, but I didn't know it blends. I don't have a blender (or budget) big enough to try. :p

j/k I know what you mean. Mine has bent a tad, but it's the dents that I really regret.

pcguru83
Sep 21, 2007, 09:47 AM
So, what are some realistic places we'll see this released? macworld is after the season, so it won't be then. Someone give me some dates!
Paris Expo is this coming Tuesday, Sept 25th. Apple has unveiled new products here before. In fact, I believe someone noted above that a new Powerbook line was unveiled here.

Do we know if Steve is keynoting this event yet?

gloss
Sep 21, 2007, 09:47 AM
I bet Spain and Italy will ban these for setting an unrealistic ideal slimness that the PC manufactures can't attain.

See the Sony VAIO SZ series.

Zwhaler
Sep 21, 2007, 09:48 AM
I think that this will be the next Macbook. Apple is moving away from plastic, so lets hope that it will double as a ultraportable MBP.

koobcamuk
Sep 21, 2007, 09:49 AM
No matter what Apple releases you can be sure that right after the unveiling their will be a flood of people flocking to MacRumors to post how disappointed they are with something about it or how ugly it is. It never fails.

I am ready and waiting. It's all opinion based anyway...

lofight
Sep 21, 2007, 09:49 AM
wow nice!! i can't wait to see them, and would the special touchpad have something to do with the patent's that we have seen???

Unspeaked
Sep 21, 2007, 09:52 AM
Am I the only one who *likes* the current plastic MacBook?

It feels leaps and bounds sturdier to me than the MacBook Pros. In fact, I've never been impressed with the aluminum portables from Apple - all the iBook revs and the MacBook feel like tanks (at least externally) while the PowerBooks (since the first G4) and MacBook Pros feel like they're going to split in half if I pick them up off the table one-handed.

Orng
Sep 21, 2007, 09:52 AM
My MacBook runs fairly hot, so how toastin' are these bad boys gonna be with a thinner, metal design?

They should coat 'em in teflon, then you could close the lid and make crepes on it. Rectangular crepes with an Apple logo in the middle. The ads for that write themselves.

ANYhoo, if they have silver and black aluminum options, anyone care to wager on whether or not they'll charge $200 more for the black one when it only has a $75 hard drive upgrade? I guess the answer to that depends on how many people out there paid $125 for the black paint. You could have put that money towards an extra gig of RAM in the white 2.16 Ghz, upgraded the HD to 160gb, and you'd have a better machine for about $20 more.

To me a Blackbook says "I totally didn't look at the Configurations (http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html) chart on the website." Either that or "I'd rather have a black one than an extra gig of RAM."

Mgkwho
Sep 21, 2007, 09:54 AM
The iMac and iPods have no white, two of the three staples of the iconic "white plastic" Apple design. Now the third staple, the MacBook, will have to continue with Apple's new design philosophy with aluminum enclosures.

One question: won't the gray aluminum look just like the MacBook Pros? I am hoping these new MacBooks are only in black to help distinguish the line.

Also, I hope that this is just a revision of the MacBooks and that they're uber thin and priced aggressively. That would be so awesome.

!!!! :D And I agree with you, I like the current MacBooks. But I want the new ones to be thin!!

-=|Mgkwho

MrCrowbar
Sep 21, 2007, 09:55 AM
I actually have not had a single problem with mine outside of some case discoloration. I'm sort of stunned, but hey, when you've got it, you've got it.

Of course, I've had two defective iPod touches in a row, so.

They replaced the inverted board (what is believed to cause the backlight flicker) 4 times already and it's still doing it when I'm on the go. The only parts that are original in my Macbook are the frame, screen enclosure and a few screws. Everything else has been replaced at least once. First battery blew up too (just inflated a lot, no hellfire)... all in the first year and they wouln't exchange it.

Manic Mouse
Sep 21, 2007, 09:59 AM
Nobody mentioned LED screens yet? I'm sure they'll be in it too.

rossgumbrell
Sep 21, 2007, 10:00 AM
Well, Apple need to maintain a difference between the MBP and MB, so i doubt there will be dedicated GPU.

Im guessing...

Drop one of the models and have 2 different models of MB.

Model 1 (Al):
2.00Ghz SR C2D
1Gb RAM
GMA 3100 Graphics
13.3" LED Display
120Gb HDD
4x DL DVD Drive
Multi-Touch Trackpad
£749

Model 2 (Black Al):
2.2Ghz SR C2D
2gb RAM
GMA 3100 Graphics
13.3" LED Display
160Gb HDD
8x DL DVD Drive
Multi-Touch Trackpad
£949

Those would sell like crazy!

Dont forget ladies and gents, you heard it from me 1st!!!!! :D

Roll on Paris Expo!!!!! (for the announcement!?!?)
Roll on October 30th!!! (for Leopard release and new MB ship date!?!?)

"Grab a revolutionary new MacBook with a revolutionary new operating system, OS X 'Leopard'. The future is now"

:apple::apple::apple:

jmerk
Sep 21, 2007, 10:01 AM
anyone care to guess the odds of this being the rumored "ultraslim mbp?

i have the Rev. A 12" Powerbook and I love it. I have the small form for portability and then plug into an external HD, large monitor and other peripherals when i need to work. If you are mobile and can only afford one machine, the 12" is really the sweet spot. mine is obviously long in the tooth and i will be in my final semester of grad school in the spring...

if it IS the rumored "ultra-slim mbp" what features do you think?

trackpad (sounds like multi-touch! sweet)
backlit keyboard?
dedicated graphics card?
video outputs? (what types)
FW 800?

processor:
chip?
speed?

let the speculation begin!

j

cliffjumper68
Sep 21, 2007, 10:03 AM

The Mini is still half in the white camp.

MrCrowbar
Sep 21, 2007, 10:04 AM

It feels leaps and bounds sturdier to me than the MacBook Pros. In fact, I've never been impressed with the aluminum portables from Apple - all the iBook revs and the MacBook feel like tanks (at least externally) while the PowerBooks (since the first G4) and MacBook Pros feel like they're going to split in half if I pick them up off the table one-handed.

Well, I'd say both Macbooks and Pros are like tanks, but the aluminum ones show damage more. I've seen some beat up powerbooks with huge dents, scratches, burn marks, acid burns (some guy at the genuis bar said: "I kinda spilled battery acid over it"...), corrosion, but all fine inside. My Macbook looks pretty good for it's age, all the minor scratches were done by careless apple repair people. :)

jonessodarally
didn't feel like this was worthy of starting a thread of its own, but did anyone notice the new iPod Nano graphic on the apple main page?

nothing too exciting, but why is it that the reflection of the black nano on the back of the red nano has a white scroll wheel?

just kinda odd.

gloss
They replaced the inverted board (what is believed to cause the backlight flicker) 4 times already and it's still doing it when I'm on the go. The only parts that are original in my Macbook are the frame, screen enclosure and a few screws. Everything else has been replaced at least once. First battery blew up too (just inflated a lot, no hellfire)... all in the first year and they wouln't exchange it.

Yikes. I'm suddenly feeling lucky.

pcguru83
Sep 21, 2007, 10:06 AM
Roll on Paris Expo!!!!! (for the announcement!?!?)
Roll on October 30th!!! (for Leopard release and new MB ship date!?!?)

"Grab a revolutionary new MacBook with a revolutionary new operating system, OS X 'Leopard'. The future is now"

This is exactly what I'm thinking. Announcement/unveiling at Paris Apple Expo with a ship date that corresponds to Leopards ship date in late October.

umijin
Sep 21, 2007, 10:07 AM

I could care less if the thing is 15" as long as Apple finally releases a portable that is actually portable.

5lbs is too much, even my 4lb 12" G4 PB is too heavy. Try 3lbs.

Apple needs to get with the program on weight (and size) or it will continue to see its Japanese sales slip into the gutter. A shame to ignore the world's second or third biggest consumer market like this.

motulist
Sep 21, 2007, 10:09 AM
I heard from a rumors site that the new laptop will use a CPU that's a mobile edition of the 604e processor! That'll be wicked fast! :D

Onejim21
Sep 21, 2007, 10:09 AM
Ok lets think about this...a slimmer mac ..if it be MB or MBP who knows but I am pretty sure that they will roll out with these in October or by the latest November..Why? Well, Apple as we all know is rolling out an operating system called Leopard..which is a very considerable improvement from Mac OS X...so what else would Apple like to capitalize on for the Holiday Season...Not only kind of over priced ipods...i bought a touch..but also Apple's new OS Leopard...with new and improved and apparently slimmer Mac's ..again who knows if its a MB or MBP my educated guess is that its a MB because intel is releasing new set of chips in November and january mac has there conference and thats when MBP will be released cuz MB are always before MBP..so..just watch this come true!!
later guys

lord patton
Sep 21, 2007, 10:10 AM
didn't feel like this was worthy of starting a thread of its own, but did anyone notice the new iPod Nano graphic on the apple main page?

nothing too exciting, but why is it that the reflection of the black nano on the back of the red nano has a white scroll wheel?

just kinda odd.

for noticing this, you are a nerd.

For checking and seeing that you are correct, I'm hopeless.

cliffjumper68
Sep 21, 2007, 10:10 AM
Paris Expo is this coming Tuesday, Sept 25th. Apple has unveiled new products here before. In fact, I believe someone noted above that a new Powerbook line was unveiled here.

Do we know if Steve is keynoting this event yet?

Leopard launch would make more sense.

cliffjumper68
Sep 21, 2007, 10:12 AM
Ok lets think about this...a slimmer mac ..if it be MB or MBP who knows but I am pretty sure that they will roll out with these in October or by the latest November..Why? Well, Apple as we all know is rolling out an operating system called Leopard..which is a very considerable improvement from Mac OS X...so what else would Apple like to capitalize on for the Holiday Season...Not only kind of over priced ipods...i bought a touch..but also Apple's new OS Leopard...with new and improved and apparently slimmer Mac's ..again who knows if its a MB or MBP my educated guess is that its a MB because intel is releasing new set of chips in November and january mac has there conference and thats when MBP will be released cuz MB are always before MBP..so..just watch this come true!!
later guys

The new iMac's did come out early though so it is not an absolute.

Virgil-TB2
Sep 21, 2007, 10:12 AM
Taken from 9to5mac.com (which has been pretty spot on to date)http://www.9to5mac.com/apple-to-release-new-aluminum-macbooks-7456543 I reckon they could be out for MacWorld and new Intel refresh....As much as I like to read rumors, I am really starting to hate 9to5mac.com. One guy is rising to the top of the macrumor "market" (if such a thing could be said to exist) on the strength of what can only be illegality in Asia.

Whereas for many years now various rumor sites (like this one!) have carefully garnered their sources at Apple and carefully released information that they are "allowed" to release or can release without getting into any legal hot-water, this guy just blatantly breaks the NDA agreements, ignores the law, and wins at it. It's just wrong to have this guy succeed through nefarious actions when all the other hard-working folks who followed the rules for so many years are left out in the cold.

It's pretty clear that 9to5mac.com has a relative or other source at the manufacturing end of Apple's business in Asia. It's clear that this person in the factory is violating the NDA by taking pictures and passing on information to 9to5mac. I doubt however, that if this person gets caught and fired, his buddy at 9to5mac will bail him or her out.

Here's hoping that the rule of law comes to China and this person is fired or thrown in jail and that as a result 9to5mac goes back to the ooze out of which it rose. :)

Cloudane
Sep 21, 2007, 10:13 AM
Poor Steve, he must be getting annoyed, everything keeps getting leaked :D

Sounds awesome. I predict a multitouch pad (not screen), but quite what it'd be used for I'm unsure... up to Apple's imagination I guess. And I know a herd of people will come down on me like a ton of bricks for even *suggesting* any form of multitouch on a Mac, especially after what The Steve said about it, but wait and see! People (in the usual angry way here) shouted that they'd never do an iPod Touch either.

I too have been wondering what to eventually replace my ageing 12" G4 Powerbook with, although I do hate working in 1024x768 so I was still considering something bigger. It gives me an annoying dilemma though, there's only so much money to go around and I kind of what an iMac soon (probably early next year). Trust Apple to come out with something else to drool over...

sananda
Sep 21, 2007, 10:13 AM
Well, Apple as we all know is rolling out an operating system called Leopard..which is a very considerable improvement from Mac OS X

leopard is a version of OS X.

motulist
Sep 21, 2007, 10:14 AM
Leopard launch would make more sense.

There's zero chance that leopard is being released on sept 25, the OS hasn't even gone golden master yet. At most leopard will be demoed again on that date.

EDIT: Crap! I keep getting leopard and tiger mixed up. I'd really prefer it if apple and everyone else just used the real numerical version numbers.

Adokimus
Sep 21, 2007, 10:15 AM

Actually, try the TZ series...

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644507782&parentCategoryId=16154&SR=hero:vaio_tz:ss&ref=http%3A//www.sony.com/index.php

...no reason that Apple couldn't make the same thing, but in aluminum and with OS X. Sony even uses the macbook keyboard here. And you should see it in person. Apple could really use this in their product line. :apple:

-Ado

QCassidy352
Sep 21, 2007, 10:17 AM
I don't get the "new" keyboard part. Apple's new keyboards (wired and BT) were made to resemble the macbook keyboard... but this rumor claims that the new macbook keyboard will be made to resemble the BT keyboard... so does that mean the new macbooks will have keyboards just like the old macbooks? :confused:

gkarris
Sep 21, 2007, 10:17 AM
So, if it's a MacBook, I assume it's getting "upscaled" like the iMacs starting at $100 more ($1199)?

MrCrowbar
Sep 21, 2007, 10:18 AM
The Mini is still half in the white camp.

I think Apple is going to kill the mini soon. I'd like one if it was 200 bucks cheaper :)

Unspeaked
Sep 21, 2007, 10:19 AM
I think Apple is going to kill the mini soon. I'd like one if it was 200 bucks cheaper :)

So you'd like one for component cost?!

Count me in!

Rychy
Sep 21, 2007, 10:20 AM
Sounding good to me, I love aluminum... glad I have my friend holding off on getting a MacBook until Leopard ships.

sananda
Sep 21, 2007, 10:20 AM
I don't get the "new" keyboard part. Apple's new keyboards (wired and BT) were made to resemble the macbook keyboard... but this rumor claims that the new macbook keyboard will be made to resemble the BT keyboard... so does that mean the new macbooks will have keyboards just like the old macbooks? :confused:

probably just a reference to the aluminium.

Adokimus
Sep 21, 2007, 10:22 AM
Here's a better link, just picture it in aluminum, with white keys, and rounded edges...

http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/flashfiles/product_tours/tz_series/index.swf

-Ado

Cloudane
Sep 21, 2007, 10:23 AM

just kinda odd.

Good grief. Yes, I agree with the poster who said you are a nerd :p

At least that clears up any real product photograph vs. computer generated graphics debates.

notjustjay
Sep 21, 2007, 10:23 AM

That's because this site puts everyone into another kind of Reality Distortion Field. It starts with rumors, and then thousands of posts speculating, and each speculation is based on the assumption that previous rumours are truth, until the bar is raised so high that everyone expects a 1-pound, quarter-inch thin laptop with a built-in holographic projector, for $299. Then when Apple announces a product that's actually in check with reality, those same people start moaning, "**** Apple, I really wanted that holodeck, SHAME on you, I'm buying a Dell!!!"

It's highly amusing to watch you guys go at it. Like throwing meat to sharks ;)

Adokimus
Sep 21, 2007, 10:25 AM

probably just a reference to the aluminium.

more likely a reference to the new shortcut keys with pictures, the removal of the :apple: key in favor of "command" and other small differences...

rossgumbrell
Sep 21, 2007, 10:26 AM
That's because this site puts everyone into another kind of Reality Distortion Field. It starts with rumors, and then thousands of posts speculating, and each speculation is based on the assumption that previous rumours are truth, until the bar is raised so high that everyone expects a 1-pound, quarter-inch thin laptop with a built-in holographic projector, for $299. Then when Apple announces a product that's actually in check with reality, those same people start moaning, "**** Apple, I really wanted that holodeck, SHAME on you, I'm buying a Dell!!!"

Ha ha!! Absolutely BRILLIANT post!!! :D

sananda
Sep 21, 2007, 10:26 AM
more likely a reference to the new shortcut keys with pictures, the removal of the :apple: key in favor of "command" and other small differences...

yes, good point.

BTW
Sep 21, 2007, 10:29 AM

I agree. It is too early for a refresh. Apple still needs to have a special event for the AppleTV too. :)

pavelbure
Sep 21, 2007, 10:30 AM
well hopefully they will come before thanksgiving. i hope they have led screens also. since the 15" macbookpro has them it should be easy to get a 13" version.

WannaGoMac
Sep 21, 2007, 10:30 AM
I was literally just about to trash the home PC, make my current Dell laptop (which is a nice machine, for a Dell) the home computer. and Buy a MacBook w/ my Edu. Discount and $100 iPhone Rebate. Guess I'll be sticking w/ this Dell for a bit, here's hoping they have an other Event coinsiding with Leapord Release and ship these babies out. Hopefully they will still remain in the same price range, Oh how I'd love to pick up a nice shiny aluminum macbook for $899 :D

hahahahaha.

A mac for $899

If you really think a mac that low is possible, I have a bridge to sell you...

Digitalclips
Sep 21, 2007, 10:31 AM

I wish something would hurt the resale value of a Mac Mini G5! I need one as a wee server and they hold their damn price so high lol ...

williedigital
Sep 21, 2007, 10:32 AM
It's just wrong to have this guy succeed through nefarious actions when all the other hard-working folks who followed the rules for so many years are left out in the cold.

Are you serious? Are you really considering the dissemination of macintosh rumors "hard work"? And what "cold" are others left out in?

Cloudane
Sep 21, 2007, 10:33 AM
So er....

Do you reckon this new slim macbook will have a G5 in it? :p

bigandy
Sep 21, 2007, 10:35 AM
is nobody seeing the correlation between this and this?

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/05/intel-metro-design.jpg

linky (http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/24/intels-metro-laptop-prototype-is-worlds-thinnest/). it's this, skinned as a mac. i hope.

jackc
Sep 21, 2007, 10:36 AM
Flash 120 GB drive?

dannyc1985
Sep 21, 2007, 10:38 AM
Anyone else think that this shift from plastic to metal has anything to do with the Greenmyapple people? It seems that all the current machines are going toward metal. I wonder if there will be some announcement at Macworld about a Greener Apple....... perhaps even a limited edition GREEN Macbook! Sorta like RED for AIDS, 10% of the GREEN iPods goes towards environmental causes or something.

Perhaps board member Gore had something to do with this?

0racle
Sep 21, 2007, 10:39 AM

Only bad thing I can say about the white plastic is it gets scratched so easily.

After seeing the ALiMac iPod Classic, I had a feeling they were going to move away from the white plastic on the MacBook's as well, which personally I think sucks. Having the Pro and not as Pro line's look different seems like a good idea. That and seeing a white laptop lets everyone know you're using a Mac.

Cloudane
Sep 21, 2007, 10:41 AM
Aluminium also scratches easily. My 12" Powerbook looks like it's had a close encounter with a Blendtec blender these days.

Yeah I quite liked the look of the white iPods etc, the new Classic iPod looks kind of weird (from the photos anyway, never seen one in person)

Clive At Five
Sep 21, 2007, 10:44 AM
The new enclosures have been seen in both Black and Silver aluminum variants and are "considerably slimmer" than the current MacBook and a bit slimmer than the current MacBook Pros.

WHAT?! This is an outrage! I see no reason why Apple cannot be using Transparent Aluminium (Aluminium Oxynitride). At a mere $15 per square inch, it'll make out MacBooks beautiful and indestructable. I'm holding out until Apple does this and will settle for nothing less.

ALSO AN OUTRAGE: Apparently Silver is the new White! This is terrible! White was very clean and pristine. No other PC-maker has a white unit. Maybe they're planning on switching up the colors and making white their "pro" color... I will also hold out buying a Mac unit this happens.

Transparent Aluminum casing and white Pro units... No new macs unit then. Who's with me?!

-Clive

(and yes, this is a joke)

kddpop
Sep 21, 2007, 10:46 AM
Here's a better link, just picture it in aluminum, with white keys, and rounded edges...

http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/flashfiles/product_tours/tz_series/index.swf

-Ado

no offense to you, but i find this notebook ugly. it's not cleanly designed like an apple product. the lights and buttons and printing along the front? just looks really cheap in comparison to the apple design.

thin is good. but it would take more than putting an apple logo on this one to fix the design flaws.

just my $.02

~kyle

MikeDTyke
Sep 21, 2007, 10:47 AM
As much as I like to read rumors, I am really starting to hate 9to5mac.com. One guy is rising to the top of the macrumor "market" (if such a thing could be said to exist) on the strength of what can only be illegality in Asia.

Whereas for many years now various rumor sites (like this one!) have carefully garnered their sources at Apple and carefully released information that they are "allowed" to release or can release without getting into any legal hot-water, this guy just blatantly breaks the NDA agreements, ignores the law, and wins at it. It's just wrong to have this guy succeed through nefarious actions when all the other hard-working folks who followed the rules for so many years are left out in the cold.

It's pretty clear that 9to5mac.com has a relative or other source at the manufacturing end of Apple's business in Asia. It's clear that this person in the factory is violating the NDA by taking pictures and passing on information to 9to5mac. I doubt however, that if this person gets caught and fired, his buddy at 9to5mac will bail him or her out.

Here's hoping that the rule of law comes to China and this person is fired or thrown in jail and that as a result 9to5mac goes back to the ooze out of which it rose. :)

Virgil-TB2, i hope that's a joke, i'm guessing it is from the smiley.
Hoping that someone goes to prison, particularly a chinese Ghulag is a seriously sick point of view. Making a joke about going to a hell hole, for what, a few details and possibly pictures of some future product, is twisted. Grow up. :mad:

bananas
Sep 21, 2007, 10:50 AM
maybe something like this..

Eidorian
Sep 21, 2007, 10:51 AM
WHAT?! This is an outrage! I see no reason why Apple cannot be using Transparent Aluminium (Aluminium Oxynitride). At a mere $15 per square inch, it'll make out MacBooks beautiful and indestructable. I'm holding out until Apple does this and will settle for nothing less.

ALSO AN OUTRAGE: Apparently Silver is the new White! This is terrible! White was very clean and pristine. No other PC-maker has a white unit. Maybe they're planning on switching up the colors and making white their "pro" color... I will also hold out buying a Mac unit this happens.

Transparent Aluminum casing and white Pro units... No new macs unit then. Who's with me?!

-Clive

(and yes, this is a joke)http://www.math.purdue.edu/~abarreno/MacintoshPlus.jpg

I see what you did there.

jouster
Sep 21, 2007, 10:51 AM

Which has the extra advantage of actually existing.

CWallace
Sep 21, 2007, 10:53 AM
I would think that the rumored all-flash notebook will be the true successor the the 12" PowerBook. Such a machine would be very light and have enough storage for the OS, Office/iWorks, and a couple gigs worth of one's favorite music or DVDs to pass the time away between business meetings.

So I expect the screen will be at least 13" and might move up to 14", which is becoming more common on Windows PCs.

As to video, I really hope they throw in the ATI 2600 from the iMac as a minimum. The Intel GMA 3000 can handle Aero under Vista (for those who dual-boot) and the GMA X3000/X3100/X3500 actually is somewhat decent for integrated graphics, but I would prefer something with a bit more "future-proofing". And then they can go well upscale for the MacBook Pro's GPU.

I am not sure what MultiTouch brings to a laptop, especially when the primary display is open. If they make the top display shorter then the bottom and exposes the touchpad while the top is closed, then I could see it for things like advancing slides or doing iTunes controls.

0racle
Sep 21, 2007, 10:53 AM
Flash 120 GB drive?

If this could be done in a cost effective manner it would have shown up in the iPod Touch.

xenotaku
Sep 21, 2007, 10:55 AM
son of a.....

just bought a MBP last week.

MrCrowbar
I wish something would hurt the resale value of a Mac Mini G5! I need one as a wee server and they hold their damn price so high lol ...

Mac Mini G5? I thought this one was coming out next Tuesday :D
Seriously though, the price of those things on eBay barely drops at all. I think I'll get a core (1) duo one soon as a little entertainment system. Mostly because it's annoying that my programmed EyeTV shows are not recorded because I'm on the go with the Macbook :)

If anyone in Germany has a Core Duo Mac Mini For sale, please contact me. :p

Dfndr90
To me a Blackbook says "I totally didn't look at the Configurations (http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html) chart on the website." Either that or "I'd rather have a black one than an extra gig of RAM."[/QUOTE]

Or, I have enough money to buy whatever color I want and still upgrade. Which is what I did. I also use a Jack Spade laptop bag to tote it around in. I do not like the white look or the old Macs, never have. When the black came out it awesome.

FatGolfer
Sep 21, 2007, 10:56 AM
Did anyone notice that 9to5mac.com's registrant contact is Apple HQ address?

(whois.net - whois on 9to5mac.com) :confused:

rtdunham
Sep 21, 2007, 10:56 AM
They should coat 'em in teflon, then you could close the lid and make crepes on it....The ads for that write themselves.

Maybe this, from the movie, "Hot Shots", is a better idea:

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85575&stc=1&d=1190390105

Adokimus
Sep 21, 2007, 10:57 AM
no offense to you, but i find this notebook ugly. it's not cleanly designed like an apple product. the lights and buttons and printing along the front? just looks really cheap in comparison to the apple design.

thin is good. but it would take more than putting an apple logo on this one to fix the design flaws.

just my $.02

~kyle

No offense taken, to each their own. Let me clarify that I don't think this looks like an Apple design, I just think that it could easily be adapted to one by making it more minimal, out of aluminum, removing media buttons, using smoother lines... etc, and so on. My point, if you read my earlier related post, is that the PC industry is (and has been) making really tiny/skinny laptops and I would love to see them come to the Apple product line. This particular Sony has all the right parts and just needs the Apple design element. But, I should add that you need to see this in person before you criticize the design. Much like the new chubber Nano, it looks MUCH more impressive in person.

much love,

Ado

MrCrowbar
Sep 21, 2007, 11:00 AM
maybe something like this..

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85574&d=1190389783

Well done!

TC Schiller
Sep 21, 2007, 11:00 AM
touchpad is probably getting the multitouch function a la iPhones.

that also means it will recognize handwriting too.

I'd like to see glass touchpads. Wouldn't that be nice and cohesive?

nimbuscloud
Sep 21, 2007, 11:01 AM

This is perhaps the MOST sane and realistic post that I've seen on Macrumors in the past few years.

Everyone need to calm down and stop being a megaton-fanboy about stuff, then dissing Apple because they didn't follow your dumb suggestions.

Let Apple actually work. Rumors are nice, but it's stupid to come posting on how "mad you are" and how certain things are "deal breakers" for you. If they were, you wouldn't be posting here.

Anyway, GREAT post, notjustjay.

:apple:

vendettabass
Sep 21, 2007, 11:03 AM
my current powerbook G4 has a big crack down the middle of the screen and i've been waiting for the "thin" macbook or a 12" macbook pro to replace it. hopefully this is it!

though, the aluminum case cuts down on the range of the wifi card. my wife's macbook picks up faint wireless networks far better than my powerbook. other than appearance, what is the benefit of the aluminum case?

maybe one of those black things like the iPhone and iPod Touch?

ingenious
Sep 21, 2007, 11:07 AM

Ha! My PowerBook's four years old... :rolleyes:

I would like one of these new AlMacBooks...

ricosuave
Sep 21, 2007, 11:10 AM
Placing the battery in the hinge on those sony's is an interesting idea. Are the batteries in the books one of the hottest parts?

chicagostars
Sep 21, 2007, 11:14 AM
In reference to notjustjay's post:

This is perhaps the MOST sane and realistic post that I've seen on Macrumors in the past few years.

Everyone need to calm down and stop being a megaton-fanboy about stuff, then dissing Apple because they didn't follow your dumb suggestions.

Let Apple actually work. Rumors are nice, but it's stupid to come posting on how "mad you are" and how certain things are "deal breakers" for you. If they were, you wouldn't be posting here.

Anyway, GREAT post, notjustjay.

:apple:

Well said.

Yvan256
Sep 21, 2007, 11:25 AM
hahahahaha.

A mac for $899

My Mac mini cost me a lot less than 899$US and that was 2 years ago too.

[...] everyone expects a 1-pound, quarter-inch thin laptop with a built-in holographic projector, for $299.[...]

OMG! Wow! A 1 pound, quarter-inch thin laptop with a built-in holographic projector for $299? I want one! Thank you Apple!

;)

Crike .40
Sep 21, 2007, 11:28 AM
I would like to see a new mb/mbp w/ dedicated graphics preferably cheap but with a bit more future-proofing than an intel 3000 or w/e the current rev is. Also I would like the overall size to be at or smaller than my current 12" PB. I have a few different cases that I really like and would enjoy being able to continue using them. As for me, storage isn't that big of a deal, but speed, quality, and aesthetic is. So, apple, give me a reason to drop 1k on a new product and hit the craigslist with my current.

Shaduu
Sep 21, 2007, 11:31 AM
Ha! My PowerBook's four years old... :rolleyes:

I would like one of these new AlMacBooks...

Ha! My PowerBook's five years old! :D

Yes, I wouldn't mind seeing these aluminium-clad MacBooks, although I don't know if I'd buy one. The thing I love about the current plastic is that it just feels more durable and would match my TV so much better...

However, I am liking the idea of a slab of black aluminium taking up less room in my bag.

Orng
Sep 21, 2007, 11:33 AM
Or, I have enough money to buy whatever color I want and still upgrade. Which is what I did. I also use a Jack Spade laptop bag to tote it around in. I do not like the white look or the old Macs, never have. When the black came out it awesome.

When my cousin showed up with a black macbook I thought "More money than brains!" Then again, I usually think that when I see my cousin, so I'm not sure if it was the Blackbook that induced it that time or not. Usually it's the SUV, or yet another new pair of skis.

Anyway, take my earlier comment about BlackBooks to apply to people who actually need to be careful about buying $125 worth of black, and were led to believe they were investing in a better machine than the white. People who buy it fully aware that they are paying for black, hey, more power to ya! :)

My cousin can well afford the black, but that doesn't change the fact that the guy at Best Buy sold her a line about the black one being technically superior.

njfuzzy
Sep 21, 2007, 11:33 AM

just kinda odd.

I think it's not the reflection of the scroll wheel. It could be the reflection of the (far) side of the black one. You're seeing a distorted reflecton of the metallic back/side, which in turn is partly reflecting a darker tone. (Hence the curved "stripe" which looks like part of a wheel.)

Or, more likely, the while image is a composite, and the red one wasn't initially leaning on a black one. I would have had them all leaning on the same thing, and then modified the color of the reflection depending on the final layout.

gkarris
Sep 21, 2007, 11:34 AM
That's because this site puts everyone into another kind of Reality Distortion Field. It starts with rumors, and then thousands of posts speculating, and each speculation is based on the assumption that previous rumours are truth, until the bar is raised so high that everyone expects a 1-pound, quarter-inch thin laptop with a built-in holographic projector, for $299.

At Apple prices and reputation, I didn't expect a $299 iPhone.. ;)

But then again, "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition..."

kddpop
Sep 21, 2007, 11:43 AM
No offense taken, to each their own. Let me clarify that I don't think this looks like an Apple design, I just think that it could easily be adapted to one by making it more minimal, out of aluminum, removing media buttons, using smoother lines... etc, and so on. My point, if you read my earlier related post, is that the PC industry is (and has been) making really tiny/skinny laptops and I would love to see them come to the Apple product line. This particular Sony has all the right parts and just needs the Apple design element. But, I should add that you need to see this in person before you criticize the design. Much like the new chubber Nano, it looks MUCH more impressive in person.

much love,

Ado

agreed. we have the technology. let's build it.

more love,
~kyle

Veritas&Equitas
Sep 21, 2007, 11:47 AM
Flash 120 GB drive?
Are you on drugs? Do you have any idea how that would cost, if it's even possible?

zioxide
Sep 21, 2007, 11:57 AM
ha consumer macbooks coming in november just like i've been saying for the past 3 months.

Manic Mouse
Sep 21, 2007, 12:00 PM
An SSD drive may be a possibility, 64Gb or so. I'm finding it hard to believe that they can make MBs any smaller or thinner considering the heat and size restraints of the MacBook. Unless they use iPod 1.8" drives or something.

I'm hoping by the time I buy my next laptop SSD drive can rival standard HDDs for size.

MrCrowbar
Sep 21, 2007, 12:05 PM
Placing the battery in the hinge on those sony's is an interesting idea. Are the batteries in the books one of the hottest parts?

Don't have a Macbook on your lap while it's charging. Just don't ;)

Elrond39
Sep 21, 2007, 12:14 PM
A MacBook-ified iMac? Who wants to throw together a mockup? :D

On a serious note, though, it could be a possibility, couldn't it? It would bring the consumer lines closer in design again.

As for the touchpad... I like that word a lot more now. :) Touch-Pad. I'm thinking it could have some multi-touch capabilities, or at least some interesting stuff (like from the patents that rolled around some time ago).

Still secretly dreaming of an iPhone Multi-Touch screen as a touchpad, especially because - knowing Apple - it would adapt on the basis of software, changing to provide optimum functionality for the application you're using. iTunes? Music controls. GarageBand? Sliders. And so on. I suppose Apple would have to add at least a "home" style button, though. Could bring up a Finder window style display, with the Dock as well? Hmm... Wish I had some Photoshop skills right about now. :)

mainstreetmark
Sep 21, 2007, 12:30 PM
Why not just get it fixed? Wow, have we become such a wasteful, throw-away society that we can't even fix our computers? ;)

Because they want $600-$800 to fix just the one issue. I don't intend to throw it away either. Perhaps it'll find a nice home via eBay for someone who wants the inconvenience of a desktop combined with the inconvenience of a laptop.

Lesser Evets
Sep 21, 2007, 12:34 PM
You mean this thread had 160+ replies and not ONE seriously fake photograph with a piece of paper and an elevator that shows how thin and authentic the new laptop is?

You guys are getting lazy.

BobbyDigital
Sep 21, 2007, 12:38 PM
I bet the trackpad will be rid of the buttons altogether. They could make it sort of like how the mighty mouse tilts to click... the whole pad would move a teeny bit. There would still be a clicking feel to it, but this way they could have it rock to both the right AND the left for dual buttons.

Just an idea. It seems like something apple would do to simplify the look of it.

muttley1211
Sep 21, 2007, 12:40 PM
http://crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/apple-macbook-multi-touch-wide-touchpad.jpg

:confused:

muttley1211
Sep 21, 2007, 12:43 PM
I bet the trackpad will be rid of the buttons altogether. They could make it sort of like how the mighty mouse tilts to click... the whole pad would move a teeny bit. There would still be a clicking feel to it, but this way they could have it rock to both the right AND the left for dual buttons.

Just an idea. It seems like something apple would do to simplify the look of it.

like this?
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1095/1063217218_6e5570ddba_o.png

Gators Fan
Sep 21, 2007, 12:53 PM
I really (really!) like the idea of "extremely aggressive pricing." But, whether it's made from plastic, aluminum, bonded ferrous oxide, or Portuguese cork means little to me. What I want is the steak, not the sizzle: more built-in RAM (or at least lower costs to upgrade), a dedicated video card, a PCMCIA/PC card slot, LCD backlighting, a stronger battery, and ballistic-strength construction.

Of course, I would like a personal call from Nicole Kidman, too.

poncho88x
Sep 21, 2007, 12:58 PM
Black alumium is bad@ss i would love one of those but ill have to the specs im hoping an actaul graphics card

jackc
Sep 21, 2007, 12:59 PM
I'm scared to buy a first-generation of such a major redesign, but I will steel myself and whip out the credit card.

And unlike the current MacBooks, I'd be happy with either black or silver aluminum, so go ahead and charge a color tax if you want!

severe
Sep 21, 2007, 01:10 PM
Wooah!

Can anyone confirm the rumor I just heard? Something about a one pound 1/4" laptop with a holographic projector? For $299!? Holy cow! It's the talk of the office.

BTW... Has anyone mentioned the touchpad patent that Apple applied for a while back? Was it last year? I read about it here. Isn't that our answer? If i remember correctly, didnt it feature the "pinch" like functionality, etc?

darksol360
Sep 21, 2007, 01:11 PM
We have the mock up! Not really, but we thought this might be the way Apple might go:

http://macnewbtube.wordpress.com/2007/09/21/macworld-08-making-news-redesigns-of-pro-lines-iphone-20-12macbook-pro/

k2k koos
Sep 21, 2007, 01:16 PM
May be these new touch pads are the first generation to support the pinching action, that is now used in the iPhone, and iPod touch. As these are OSX units, it is very easily achieved in a Mac too. Anyone with a Leopard developer version that can look into the code and see if there is evidence to support 'pinching' in the full fat version of OSX ? :apple:

BobbyDigital
Sep 21, 2007, 01:22 PM
like this?
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1095/1063217218_6e5570ddba_o.png

Yeah that's pretty much what I had in mind.

derekmac
Sep 21, 2007, 01:31 PM
This is what I have been waiting for. I am curious to see just how small they can make a mbp but I need something with more power so a slimmer, lighter macbook with santa rosa, the new intel graphics and a led screen is perfect.

I am wondering how heavy everyone thinks it will be. Right now the 15.4 is 5.6lbs and the 13.3 mb is still 5.2 because of the heavier plastic. So make it smaller by eliminating the extra trim around the screen and make it from lighter aluminum and this thing should be substantially lighter. But how light.

Any predictions?

gkarris
Sep 21, 2007, 01:32 PM

Maybe for the MBP 13" model. The MB model will be all Al and use the MB keyboard, integrated graphics, but the new design will be upscaled to $1199 to start (they did it with the iMacs...).

jackc
Sep 21, 2007, 01:35 PM
But will it have an optical drive?

Shaduu
Sep 21, 2007, 01:43 PM
But will it have an optical drive?

Erm, yes.

The only mobile computers that shouldn't have optical drives are UMPCs and that Foleo-thing Palm scrapped. Laptops are expected to have optical drives these days.

Orng
Sep 21, 2007, 01:44 PM
http://crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/apple-macbook-multi-touch-wide-touchpad.jpg

:confused:

Confusing, isn't it? I can help.

Top Left... Oh no, the alien-hands man tried to access my macbook! Good thing I have the Anti-alien microwave defense system. Take that Alien man! Bet that burns!

Top right. It's a bunny! No wait, an alligator! Yay! Ahhhh! An alligator! quick, put him in this paper-slicer before he eats my macbook.

Bottom Left: Looks like the next gen Macbooks will have TWO slide-out cupholders. Awesome, my G4 Quicksilver only has ONE!

Bottom right, upper: Awww, square-face robot man with alien hands is shy! or embarrased. Peek-a-boo, alien-hands-square-robot man!

Bottom right, lower: He's shy because he's not sure how you'll take it if he points out you have spinach in your teeth. He thinks you might be sensitive. But he shouldn't feel bad, you're trying to decide whether to tell him his fly is undone... awkward!

rikers_mailbox
Sep 21, 2007, 01:45 PM
MacBook DS?

Butthead
Sep 21, 2007, 01:47 PM

Having aluminum vs plastic MB, would make them all the more indistinguishable from the MBP, which would be a shame, why bother having two lines if they both look almost identical...a la PC mentality :).

Would be very nice, although do we really need them thinner still[b], I'd like them to be sleek, but [b]cool (as in temperature) too...

Unfortunately I now have a very nice BlackBook, so... not for me :(

Form over function, that's Apple's current design operative. No don't *need* them slimmer, and certainly don't want more heat, but probably you will get both, lol.

lemikam
Sep 21, 2007, 01:57 PM
That drawing floating around of the widened touchpad, but still...

I was thinking after playing around with my iPod touch (beautiful gizmo by the way...just wish it did 802.1X...and no, that doesn't mean 802.11b/g):

They can cram an awful lot of very reliable touchpad into an awfully thin package. Could the weirdness about the touchpad be that...

there isn't one?

Butthead
Sep 21, 2007, 01:58 PM

They are set to be priced extremely aggressively

While they are dense, overall they are lighter than the current MacBooks

What we are wondering:

Will there be colors like the Nanos? (Red) would be hot.
Will the hard drives and memory be easily upgraded?
Will they be in the Pro or Consumer lineup?
Will they be released with the Leopard announcement? Before Christmas? Macworld?
Is Apple over White?

Intel refresh? Speed bumped to 2.6Ghz Meroms are due out this month or next, you mean Penryn then?

Hey, what's wrong with the quote function, I only got a partial quite here the 1st line of the prior quote with link to site story?

Before Leopard...could be. Before Christmas...greater possibility, before MacWorld, much higher probability....shall we go on to NAB, WWDC 2008 :D ?

Is Apple over White? I hope not.

LOL, I've never in my life seen "extremely" aggressive pricing by Apple...in the eye of the beholder. "Set" and then unset, lol; shall we take a poll just to see who guesses correctly? Higher priced if released @MW'08 with faster Penryn (do recall, the lower speed models will give higher performance than equivalent current C2D's all the while giving *slightly* greater battery life). Lower priced if relying on older C2D price cuts, and not implementing SR on the MB ;). Same prices if updating soon with faster C2D's & SR but staying with cheaper FSB 667Mhz RAM (while soon to be released MBP will get 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, even if the speed increase from that is almost insignificant ;0 ).

"Dense but lighter weight?" The 1st Jessica Simpson MB? Impressive!

Virgil-TB2
Sep 21, 2007, 01:59 PM
Are you serious? Are you really considering the dissemination of macintosh rumors "hard work"? And what "cold" are others left out in?People have worked for years to develop web sites and develop "connections" to Apple engineers. That's hard work and has a definite value (both dollar and intrinsic).

It seems that they are now being usurped by one kid with a web-site and his friend who works in a factory in China and is willing to pass on illegal information.

My point was that it's certainly a shame that one jerk who flaunts the rules (basically "cheats"), should succeed over and above other decent hardworking types who don't cheat.

It's a moral position. If you are under 35 or so you won't understand what that means. ;)

Virgil-TB2
Sep 21, 2007, 02:05 PM
Virgil-TB2, i hope that's a joke, i'm guessing it is from the smiley.
Hoping that someone goes to prison, particularly a chinese Ghulag is a seriously sick point of view. Making a joke about going to a hell hole, for what, a few details and possibly pictures of some future product, is twisted. Grow up. :mad:Well I don't wish anyone to be in a "Gulag," but it's not my fault if that's what passes for prison in China. Prison is pretty nasty wherever it is.

I am serious about "the law stepping in" in general in this case, but I would much rather it happen to 9to5mac than the source as one can easily imagine this source might be relatively (but far from completely), innocent in the whole thing.

Mostly I am pissed about the whole situation as it's just wrong any way you look at it. The person in the factory is taking all the risks, but 9to5mac gets all the rewards. It's also sort of a "cheat" to get rumors this way, and yet 9to5mac "succeeds" through this cheating.

I can't think of anything nice about it but I am very serious about it being a "good thing" if Apple could shut this sort of stuff down.

interlaced
Sep 21, 2007, 02:26 PM
Orng, you have too much time on your hands. Funny post, though. :p

A lot of the expectations in this thread are pretty ridiculous. I have been waiting for a smaller MBP since the Macbooks were released. I sold whatever computer I had at the time the minute the 12'/13" MBP rumors would start up. I'm super excited to see the actual product. In reality, and I think I've said this in other 12"/13" Rumor Threads, it will probably have similar specs to the Macbook and 12" PB: mini-DVI and possibly no FW800. I'm assuming a price of $1499. If it were anything lower, people would not buy the Macbook and just get the MBP!

berkleeboy210
Sep 21, 2007, 02:35 PM
hahahahaha.

A mac for $899

my point being was, the start out price is 1099, i get $100 off with my Edu. Discount and another $100 off with my iPhone Rebate.... so therefore it does cost me $899. :D

darksol360
Sep 21, 2007, 02:38 PM
http://macnewbtube.wordpress.com/2007/09/21/more-rumors-around-slim-macbook-pro-touch-gestures-glass-screens-flash-hd/

Sign me up!

gkarris
Sep 21, 2007, 02:42 PM
LOL, I've never in my life seen "extremely" aggressive pricing by Apple...in the eye of the beholder.

I have. Apple's MacBook is aggressively priced compared to the equivalent Sony Vaios at $1899...

(sarcasm here...)

meagain
Sep 21, 2007, 02:49 PM
I'm sad to see the White going away(?). I really like the distinctive White and am puzzled by it apparently going away. Oh well.

mike19
Sep 21, 2007, 03:00 PM
So the Expo in Paris is on Tuesday. Does anyone know if steve has left France?!!?!? If he hasn't that could be a good indication? Maybe?!

nja247
Sep 21, 2007, 03:00 PM
To me a Blackbook says "I totally didn't look at the Configurations (http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html) chart on the website." Either that or "I'd rather have a black one than an extra gig of RAM."

Or that White is over and gets dirty wayyyy too early and that EVERYONE has a White MacBook / iBook and Black looks better? Further, with a user replaceable hard drive and memory, why the hell pay Apple 400% markup to install it for me when it takes minutes? (well discounting installing OS X).

ywshang
Sep 21, 2007, 03:03 PM
As much as I like to read rumors, I am really starting to hate 9to5mac.com. One guy is rising to the top of the macrumor "market" (if such a thing could be said to exist) on the strength of what can only be illegality in Asia.

I have to say that you are seriously perverted. Rumor sites are just for fun. Take it easy. No one, including 9to5mac, is making a billion dollar fortune out of this. I have no idea why you are so sickly jealous about 9to5mac is winning it. Besides, where the hell did you find any evidence that China has anything to do with it. You sound like you just can't help feeling better accusing China on everything. Talking about being fair and respecting the rules, you are already ignoring them all.

nja247
Sep 21, 2007, 03:04 PM

1) awful "old keyboard"
2) hope your hands are tiny

alljunks
Sep 21, 2007, 03:15 PM
vote for 13" MBP!!!!!!!!

scruch
Sep 21, 2007, 03:21 PM
mbp 14 " for president!

BillyShears
Sep 21, 2007, 03:30 PM
Mostly I am pissed about the whole situation as it's just wrong any way you look at it. The person in the factory is taking all the risks, but 9to5mac gets all the rewards. It's also sort of a "cheat" to get rumors this way, and yet 9to5mac "succeeds" through this cheating.

I'm not sure why you think the source is in a factory in China. Remember the screenshot of the iPod nano PSD? Why would a factory worker have access to a PSD?

Also, I'm not sure why you would think 9to5mac hasn't worked hard to get this source, or that other sites have. OR why you assume the source isn't getting anything in return. OR what the rules are for getting rumours, and how you could "cheat" at it.

keeyox
Sep 21, 2007, 03:41 PM
i'm torn. a super portable mbp would be great for school, but i do love big screens.

Adokimus
Sep 21, 2007, 03:47 PM
People have worked for years to develop web sites and develop "connections" to Apple engineers. That's hard work and has a definite value (both dollar and intrinsic).

It seems that they are now being usurped by one kid with a web-site and his friend who works in a factory in China and is willing to pass on illegal information.

My point was that it's certainly a shame that one jerk who flaunts the rules (basically "cheats"), should succeed over and above other decent hardworking types who don't cheat.

It's a moral position. If you are under 35 or so you won't understand what that means. ;)

Well I don't wish anyone to be in a "Gulag," but it's not my fault if that's what passes for prison in China. Prison is pretty nasty wherever it is.

I am serious about "the law stepping in" in general in this case, but I would much rather it happen to 9to5mac than the source as one can easily imagine this source might be relatively (but far from completely), innocent in the whole thing.

I can't think of anything nice about it but I am very serious about it being a "good thing" if Apple could shut this sort of stuff down.

I would respond, but I don't know if you would be able to hear me way, way up there on your horse.

Seriously though, get a life. In the moral spectrum, sneaking rumors about Apple products isn't on par with rape or murder. If it was, would you be a member of this forum? And are you even aware of the difference between the conditions in a chinese prison to which you want 9to5 condemned and those of a western prison? Maybe you should be checking your own moral compass. Use your energy in a more righteous cause. Or maybe you are completely ignorant about what's going on in the world. But then again, I'm 25, so maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Loser.

-Ado

glide
Sep 21, 2007, 03:51 PM
http://macnewbtube.wordpress.com/2007/09/21/more-rumors-around-slim-macbook-pro-touch-gestures-glass-screens-flash-hd/

Ok, 80GB SSD, Blu-Ray Drive, Large touch track pad, Aluminum Case, LED screen, AND its going to be competitively priced? Compared to what? There is no way a machine with those specs would cost less than the most expensive MBP on the market now.

Muzzway
Sep 21, 2007, 03:53 PM
I'm sure someone has already said something like this, but...

It's 9 to 5 mac, so it's gotta be true. ;)

Amuraivel
Sep 21, 2007, 03:58 PM
This is the type of machine that Apple should be manufacturing.

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/ebtext.to?page=r500micro_home

Azmodon
Sep 21, 2007, 04:11 PM
Exactly what does "priced extremely aggressively" mean? :O

mikeulus
Sep 21, 2007, 04:19 PM
people keep talking about the 15.4 inch MBP becoming super-portable. I believe this is impossible. If this computer were to have a DVI port and firewire 800 port it could, at most, be made 2mm thinner. I dont think any new "revolutionary" MBpros are going to come out this January.

twoodcc
Sep 21, 2007, 04:24 PM

you are right there, my friend. this does sound like a winner

kddpop
Sep 21, 2007, 04:41 PM
This is the type of machine that Apple should be manufacturing.

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/ebtext.to?page=r500micro_home

tray loading optical. i think that is not the type of machine apple should be manufacturing.

but, if by your post, you mean it should be really thin. ok, yeah, i agree.

~kyle

BobbyDigital
Sep 21, 2007, 04:52 PM
1) awful "old keyboard"
2) hope your hands are tiny

I was only referring to the touchpad. I think it will be without buttons. The keyboard is almost guaranteed to change.

CaptainCaveMann
Sep 21, 2007, 04:55 PM
Woo hoo! I cant wait... ;)

technocoy
Sep 21, 2007, 06:06 PM
I would say it's either a new notebook category or it's the macbook pro. I can't imagine that the iBooks would see two redesigns before the MBP sees one.

either way, it's exciting.

GimmeSlack12
Sep 21, 2007, 06:13 PM
Can't wait for these to come out. And then hear about the flaws and poor design and whining and moaning and complaining and bitching and malfunctions and errors and incompatibilities and the rest of the crap that people whine about.

Seriously. I can't wait. :)

Cloudane
Sep 21, 2007, 06:29 PM
^ heh. You mark my words, there will be plenty of bitching that it doesn't have a high end gaming graphics card or bluray when it's announced! And if it's flash, we have the "not much storage" stuff to look forward to again :p

marmolade
Sep 21, 2007, 06:47 PM
I just bought my white Macbook a little more than a week ago! Should I return it?! I don't really need it anyways :mad:

GimmeSlack12
Sep 21, 2007, 06:56 PM
I just bought my white Macbook a little more than a week ago! Should I return it?! I don't really need it anyways :mad:

Dude. This is only a rumor. A big rumor at that.

mrkramer
Sep 21, 2007, 07:01 PM
people keep talking about the 15.4 inch MBP becoming super-portable. I believe this is impossible. If this computer were to have a DVI port and firewire 800 port it could, at most, be made 2mm thinner. I dont think any new "revolutionary" MBpros are going to come out this January.

couldn't Apple use that patent they have for collapsible ports? that woul allow it to be much thinner as long as they do not insist on putting an optical drive in there.

I would be happy with 32GB flash storage, and integrated graphics, because on a screen that small who really does much that requires a dedicated GPU?

robby818
Sep 21, 2007, 07:04 PM

My refurb' 15" Macbook Pro is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, and I already called Apple and got an RMA & fedex return label...but part of me wants to keep it..Of course all this news hits the web the day before I take delivery.

The aggressive pricing part of the rumor is what has me leaning towards returning....especially after having just been burned by the $200 drop on my iphone.

I used to be really good at buying Apple products at "the right time" (I think there is a sweet spot for buying laptops & gadgets..not just buying when you need it) but recently Apple has been rolling out new products so quickly and dropping prices at less predictable intervals that I am really wary of buying now. I really thought Apple was done for the rest of the year, except for Leopard of course.

berkleeboy210
Sep 21, 2007, 07:13 PM
Funny how all the Leapord Demo Videos are "done" using the MacBook on Apple's Website. Wonder if that means anything :confused::confused:

Bring on Leapord and the SlimBooks!

robby818
Sep 21, 2007, 07:33 PM
I like the 12" powerbook G4s still; they look so compact and portable. Really wonderful proportions. Too bad this is probably going to be widescreen. On small screens, I think 4:3 works better for most uses.

poppenstank258
Sep 21, 2007, 07:39 PM
What do they mean by that is it a low price or a high price. Because I wanna pay $999 by itself then upgrade it.

maccam
Sep 21, 2007, 07:41 PM
Will the MacBooks see a $200 price drop like the iMac? That would make the MacBooks now $799 :eek: (sorry if this has been asked :p)

poppenstank258
Sep 21, 2007, 07:44 PM
Will the MacBooks see a $200 price drop like the iMac? That would make the MacBooks now $799 :eek: (sorry if this has been asked :p)

Yah that's exactly what I want. I also get an edu. discount :D.

berkleeboy210
Sep 21, 2007, 07:55 PM
Yah that's exactly what I want. I also get an edu. discount :D.

And on top of my edu. discount I'm saving my $100 iPhone Credit for this thing too :).

Fluffymuff
Sep 21, 2007, 09:04 PM
And on top of my edu. discount I'm saving my $100 iPhone Credit for this thing too :).
Assuming you're at Berklee, don't forget to buy Logic.

poppenstank258
Sep 21, 2007, 10:23 PM
hey can someone answer my question above:mad:

Eidorian
Sep 21, 2007, 10:27 PM
hey can someone answer my question above:mad:We don't know. We might see some price rumors like the previous iMac announcement.

DARKiLLUSiON
Sep 21, 2007, 10:37 PM
What do they mean by that is it a low price or a high price. Because I wanna pay $999 by itself then upgrade it.

I think that means very low pricing and at the same time to be competitive with the other market out there

MagnusVonMagnum
Sep 21, 2007, 11:21 PM

Get me a Macbook or a Mini with the updated Santa Fe chipset (namely the improved graphics which might actually be able to play a 3D game newer than 2004) and I'd buy one. Intel GMA 950 doesn't remotely cut it. I know they want to differentiate, but that difference is WAY too far off the mark. Get something with USABLE 3D graphics at least in them.... You should be able to play games from the CURRENT year and even the NEXT year in ANY halfway decent computer on the market even if it's not the fastest out there. Apple doesn't seem get that AT ALL. How can the Mac ever be a gaming platform if the computers suck so hard at graphics that you can't play current 3D games on them at usable rates? (Remember, with BootCamp, Macs CAN play games via Windows already (no wait for Cider conversions or whatever), but ONLY if they have usable hardware).

People act like most Mac users have no need for such graphics as they're not gamers. Well, if that's true then why would it HURT for Apple to have good graphics on BOTH the Macbook and Macbook Pro? If MacPro users don't need games, then let them have Intel GMA graphics and put the good stuff on the consumer model where the user might want to play games! How's that for a SPIN on that BS thinking?

Differentiate them on some other features, even CPU speed as it's FAR less important these days than a good 3D GPU. Everyone acts like Macs have the best of everything, but it's total BS. Macs have total CRAP in the graphics arena compared to PCs and I dunno... I think graphics are kind of important personally. I just can't comprehend how Steve can tout something like the return of EA Games, but then not make sure the new Macs are ready for those games....

Eidorian
Sep 21, 2007, 11:27 PM
It's Santa Rosa.

MrGouda
Sep 21, 2007, 11:28 PM

I love the current white macBook. The thing I love about the white macbooks is that scratches and fingerprints are not clearly visible on the outer case. My friend has a white macBook and even though it's a little scratched, you can't tell from a quick glance.

I have a macBook Pro and the only thing I don't like about it is that it scratches very easily and the scratches are very visible on the case. I totally baby it and always carry it in a nice padded laptop bag, yet somehow mysterious scratches still emerge.

The only thing I wonder about the new macBooks is, will fingerprints and scratches be a problem with the new models?

Liamf555
Sep 22, 2007, 03:51 AM
surely they will have to update the mm as well

weckart
Sep 22, 2007, 04:25 AM

If you are happy enough to spend money on things you do not need, then why sell? Just buy this rumoured laptop, if and when it comes out, as well.

aswitcher
Sep 22, 2007, 05:20 AM
Probably routine maintenance.

Yeah. Never updates on a weekend.

naraic
Sep 22, 2007, 07:05 AM
Funny how all the Leapord Demo Videos are "done" using the MacBook on Apple's Website. Wonder if that means anything :confused::confused:

How do you know that?? I would have guessed they used their most powerful machines. I remember in one video (Spaces, i think) they were playing WoW and then doing other things at the same time. I didn't think the Macbook could handle that.

surely they will have to update the mm as well

MM? What's that? Memory Modules? (That's a Guess)
EDIT: Sorry, Mighty Mouse... Now i feel like a complete fool :P

OS X Dude
Sep 22, 2007, 08:09 AM
Omg! First iPods shun the White colour, now the Macs too! It's my favourite colour and no synonymous with Apple! WHY??

koobcamuk
Sep 22, 2007, 08:50 AM
MM? What's that? Memory Modules? (That's a Guess)
EDIT: Sorry, Mighty Mouse... Now i feel like a complete fool :P

How about Mac Mini?

LizKat
Sep 22, 2007, 10:32 AM
...will fingerprints and scratches be a problem with the new models?

Hmm. Not if you never take the machine out of the box !

Back in the old days, Ye Reallye Olde Dayes, a few nicks and scars on one's slide rule just signified an actual ability to use the damn thing.

The scratches are unique signatures. Photograph them! Celebrate them!

I love how we are presuming there are new models trembling in the wings for an entrance any day now... does anyone keep their books long enough to collect even minor battlescars nowadays?

manram24
Sep 22, 2007, 10:38 AM
aw man i hope they come out with these new ones
my new imac is sweet and i want the macbooks to look like this too
i will probably get one for portablility if they come out

weckart
Sep 22, 2007, 11:11 AM
Get me a Macbook or a Mini with the updated Santa Fe chipset (namely the improved graphics which might actually be able to play a 3D game newer than 2004) and I'd buy one. Intel GMA 950 doesn't remotely cut it. ..snip...

Have you ever tried X3100? Like GMA950 with a different product number.

People act like most Mac users have no need for such graphics as they're not gamers. Well, if that's true then why would it HURT for Apple to have good graphics on BOTH the Macbook and Macbook Pro?

It costs more, both in terms of actual money and battery life, which is arguably more important for portable computers. The MB logic board would have to be redesigned to allow adequate cooling for the heat generated from the GPU. That would mean 2 fans and a larger footprint.

If MacPro users don't need games, then let them have Intel GMA graphics and put the good stuff on the consumer model where the user might want to play games! How's that for a SPIN on that BS thinking?

Sounds like ignorant BS to me. Are you honestly posting on a public forum that the only point of a dedicated GPU is gaming. Seriously? :rolleyes:

Macs have total CRAP in the graphics arena compared to PCs and I dunno...I think graphics are kind of important personally.

Bless.

I just can't comprehend how Steve can tout something like the return of EA Games, but then not make sure the new Macs are ready for those games....

I dunno either, I reckon my MBP will do just fine, thanks.

Cloudane
Sep 22, 2007, 01:07 PM
Get me a Macbook or a Mini with the updated Santa Fe chipset (namely the improved graphics which might actually be able to play a 3D game newer than 2004) and I'd buy one. Intel GMA 950 doesn't remotely cut it. I know they want to differentiate, but that difference is WAY too far off the mark. Get something with USABLE 3D graphics at least in them.... You should be able to play games from the CURRENT year and even the NEXT year in ANY halfway decent computer on the market even if it's not the fastest out there. Apple doesn't seem get that AT ALL. How can the Mac ever be a gaming platform if the computers suck so hard at graphics that you can't play current 3D games on them at usable rates? (Remember, with BootCamp, Macs CAN play games via Windows already (no wait for Cider conversions or whatever), but ONLY if they have usable hardware).

People act like most Mac users have no need for such graphics as they're not gamers. Well, if that's true then why would it HURT for Apple to have good graphics on BOTH the Macbook and Macbook Pro? If MacPro users don't need games, then let them have Intel GMA graphics and put the good stuff on the consumer model where the user might want to play games! How's that for a SPIN on that BS thinking?

Differentiate them on some other features, even CPU speed as it's FAR less important these days than a good 3D GPU. Everyone acts like Macs have the best of everything, but it's total BS. Macs have total CRAP in the graphics arena compared to PCs and I dunno... I think graphics are kind of important personally. I just can't comprehend how Steve can tout something like the return of EA Games, but then not make sure the new Macs are ready for those games....

Earlier....

heh. You mark my words, there will be plenty of bitching that it doesn't have a high end gaming graphics card or bluray when it's announced! And if it's flash, we have the "not much storage" stuff to look forward to again :p

Admittedly, I wasn't expecting the bitching before it's even announced!

alexf
Sep 22, 2007, 01:51 PM
I don't think that this model will replace the current MacBook; I think it will be a new model (e.g. 13" MacBook Pro or even the rumored sub-compact).

The current MacBook was completely redesigned only 16 months ago, and that would be highly unusual for Apple to refresh a design so soon...

alexf
Sep 22, 2007, 01:54 PM
Omg! First iPods shun the White colour, now the Macs too! It's my favourite colour and no synonymous with Apple! WHY??

I very much agree; I think it the white looks much nicer (especially on the iMacs and iPods). I think that Apple is going for a more "masculine" look with all aluminum, which means that it seems to be losing some of its soul. :(

MaskedPhantom
Sep 22, 2007, 02:58 PM
9 to 5 again? isn't anyone else doing rumors anymore?

They seem to be the only ones doing it right.

OS X Dude
Sep 22, 2007, 04:10 PM
I very much agree; I think it the white looks much nicer (especially on the iMacs and iPods). I think that Apple is going for a more "masculine" look with all aluminum, which means that it seems to be losing some of its soul. :(

Yeah I see where you're coming from. I didn't like the black MacBook half as much as ol' whitey. When someone walks in a room, they see the white computer and know straight off what it is. People are saying they don't like white, I bet that's why they're changing it.

Shame, I adore the colour white, and computers are rarely this colour. White is a very minimalist, modern colour (complementing the Mac + iPod design) and it's be a shame to see Apple take an "every PC" approach - I'm praying it's an MBP update.

Sorry for the waffle - it's a point I'm passionate about. Apple = White

White iPhone? Yes, please!

Prof.
Sep 22, 2007, 05:05 PM
I mentioned that Apple will soon make the MacBooks out of Aluminum in one of my earlier posts before anyone mentioned it. Looks like I am right.

That's 2 for 2 on me.

Prof. :apple:

yukon0013
Sep 22, 2007, 06:33 PM
In another one of these threads bananas has posted this :

bananas:

they basically claim that all the laptops are getting redesigned
here's most of it if that link won't work:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macslice.com
MacBook

* Black & Silver aluminum
* Slimmer and lighterthan current model
* Keyboard that resembles Apple’s new desktop keyboards
* New, larger trackpad with “unusual” features
* Prices will be reduced to compete with the PC laptop market
* Biometric fingerprint reader (May be part of the “unusual trackpad” or will be concealed in the aluminum chassis)
* SuperDrive

Specs are currently unknown but we’ll likely see 1GB RAM and 100GB Hard Drives in the lower model, and 2GB RAM and 160GB Hard Drives in the higher model. It is unlikely that we’ll see a dedicated graphics card in the MacBook, but an improved Intel GMA chip (such as the X3500) will be seen.

MacBook Pro

* New design, Black & Silver aluminum
* Lighter than current model
* New style backlit Apple keyboard
* Larger trackpad with “unusual” features
* Improved battery life
* Biometric fingerprint reader (May be part of the “unusual trackpad” or will be concealed in speakers)
* LED in 17 inch screens
* Core 2 Extreme Mobile (X7900) model with 2.8GHz
* NVIDIA GeForce 8600m GT (256mb on lower model 512mb option on higher)
* SuperDrive & Option for Blu-ray (Single layer)

Cloudane
Sep 22, 2007, 07:03 PM
I have a hard time believing anyone who admits he's bananas ;)

All sounding like educated guesses and/or wishful thinking to me. I'm certainly not arsed about a fingerprint reader - tried laptops with them built in at work, they suck royally.

Decent guesses otherwise, if a bit optimistic on the graphics cards.