PDA

View Full Version : Husband and Wife itune accounts...advice please

welders4mac
Sep 21, 2007, 01:42 PM
Hello fellow apple enthusiasts

Myself and my wife have somewhat different tastes in music. We each have our own imac. I was thinking of having two seperate itune accounts. The only problem being that once in awhile we agree music.

So can/should we have seperate accounts and can we transfer certain songs on eachothers computer?

...one last thing, is there a limit of how many times you play a DRM song?

thank you for your help
:apple: :apple:

netdog
Sep 21, 2007, 01:47 PM
This thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=346990) should help you, or you can have separate logins on your Mac, in which case you will automatically have differently libraries.

mzd
Sep 21, 2007, 02:44 PM
two options based on the info you provided (use 2 macs, dif taste in music):

two iTunes accounts - you are allowed to authorize up to 5 computers for songs purchased on iTunes. so, just make sure both your computers are authorized for both accounts and then you can just copy the songs you both want.

one iTunes account - again, authorize both computers to play the songs. you can just each log into the same iTunes Music store account and each buy whatever songs you like. if you both want to listen to the same song, just copy it to the other computer.

it really doesn't matter which you choose. i guess i would go with one account if i were you since that way you only have to enter billing info once. but that is really the only advantage. either way you would be authorizing both computers to play the songs and you will need to manually copy the songs you both want to listen to.

there is no limit to the number of song plays with the iTunes DRM.

mkrishnan
Sep 21, 2007, 02:51 PM
I think this is actually a very interesting issue related to digital ownership. If you get married or move in with your SO, you can buy some extra bookshelves and move all the stuff in your library -- CDs, DVDs, and books -- in with you. It's well established practice that it is right and good that you share those things in the confine of the relationship.

If you are married, and you start using iTunes, you can use the same account with two people and your two devices (perfectly legally) can both access as much or as little of the shared purchased music as you want -- since you have multiple device authorizations, you can both use the music.

But what about if you already have two accounts? Has anyone ever gotten Apple to merge two separate purchased accounts so that one instance of iTunes can play music from both of them and all the songs can be transfered to one iPod?

LOL and then we have divorce! :D

(In any event, my suggestion would be one iTunes library, unless you really don't have the HD space for it. It's not like in iTunes, when you have 10000 songs instead of 5000, it's twice as tough to find your CD on the bookshelf).

welders4mac
Sep 24, 2007, 03:43 PM
Thank you all.

I guess I...oops!, WE will stick with one account. My money is hers and her iTunes are hers too ;o)

I am in Canada and Unless its changed in the last little while its still legal to download and copy and play music/Video. As you can imagine the entertainment companies are fighting hard in litigation to change this.

I am not to keen on the idea and avoid such activities.

:apple::apple: