Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bogman12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Is the week38 as good as the iPhone with regards to the negative black or "shimmering" issue?

I compared my W37 with some display modles at the Apple store, using The Fray music video. While my W37 is better than the W37 at the store, it is not as good as some of the iPhone when it comes to NOT displaying negative blacks.

I wonder if it's worth the hassle of swaping for a W38 (no one around here has them in stock) or just stick with my W37? However, if the W38 is going to be as good as the iPhone when it comes to "negative black" then it's worthwhile for me to do the exchange.

mikeinmontreal

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007
Excellent question. With recent 8GB iPhones having screen issues, those 4GB iPhones might need a second look.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
My advice is that if you see ANY negative blacks at all when viewing the screen directly, exchange it for a Week 38.

People seem completely satisfied with their Week 38 iPods, I wouldn't be surprised if they were basically as good as the good iPhone screens. This really seems like a defect issue, rather than a inferior screen issue (especially since some newer iPhones also have this problem.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.