PDA

View Full Version : Please explain the reason why you need to boot OS 9?

SLJ
Aug 22, 2003, 08:25 AM
I don't understand but why so many people are so concern that we can or cannot boot OS 9? I am new to mac and OSX, but so far, I don't see the need to boot into OS 9? Am I missing something that I dont know? OS 9 is very important and very powerful in some respects? I mean, Apple clearly state that the 12" powerbook cannot be boot OS 9. Why is that?

Mr. Anderson
Aug 22, 2003, 08:35 AM
I just found out that its best to run Disk First Aid from OS9, got this right from the Genius Bar at the Apple store. For some reason its better and handling bad disks.

And its the only time I've boot to 9 in recent memory.

D

Sun Baked
Aug 22, 2003, 08:40 AM
Some applications require direct hardware access and only run in OS 9, lot's of scanners would fall into this.

Of course there are some other apps and hardware that benefit from OS 9s more direct hardware access, or only have OS 9 drivers.

Unfortunately the apps that need direct hardware access, and/or only have OS 9 driver may require someone to boot into OS 9 to use them.

---

But the classic Mac OS has almost always required ROM updates every time a new machine was released, along with new apps/utilities, extensions, control panels, etc.

Since Apple froze OS 9, and stopped the majority (nearly all) ROM file updates for the Mac the hardware couldn't really change much.

Which is why the core Mac has stayed static for so long.

When Apple released new machine PowerMac MDD Rev B, iMac 17, PB 12/17 with the new chipsets -- the OS 9 ROM file was broken utterly and could no longer boot into OS 9.

Sure somebody could patch the ROM file and the new Macs bootROM to get the machines to boot into OS 9, it's been done before, but nobody has done it this time.

Waluigi
Aug 22, 2003, 08:43 AM
I know lots of people, and schools who don't want to buy all new software, and new licenses to upgrade to OS X. It seems like a waste when I had to set up a room with 20 dual 1GHz G4's, and had to make them use OS 9. It is all about money, if it wasn't everyone would be using OS X.

Kwyjibo
Aug 22, 2003, 08:49 AM
I don't boot into os9, 12" powerbook :)

My mom works in a school district where they give every teacher a couple of old iMacs to use and she like them fine....I don't thinkthey have much ram otherwise I would make her try jag. (Ps i know that many people here can use such machines but its much easier to let her be happy with os9)

mactastic
Aug 22, 2003, 10:50 AM
My dad was just complaining to me last night that he has to print from OS 9 to his Epson 2200 because the printer driver for OS X hasn't been completly debugged yet. Apparently it will print standard sizes, and in OS X it will bring up the dialog box for odd size sheets, let you choose the size you want, then print as if on a standard LTR size sheet. So he boots into OS 9 to print still, as he has essentially since he migrated to OS X. He prints mostly at around the 20" x 13" size.

Mudbug
Aug 22, 2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by mactastic
My dad was just complaining to me last night that he has to print from OS 9 to his Epson 2200 because the printer driver for OS X hasn't been completly debugged yet. Apparently it will print standard sizes, and in OS X it will bring up the dialog box for odd size sheets, let you choose the size you want, then print as if on a standard LTR size sheet. So he boots into OS 9 to print still, as he has essentially since he migrated to OS X. He prints mostly at around the 20" x 13" size.

13x19 - SuperB paper - prints 11x17 with crops and bleed...

anyway, I have to boot into 9 from time to time to fix font suitcases, which X doesn't allow me to do without jumping through serious hoops. And if you have legacy peripherals you've spent real money on in the past, like scanners and whatnot, then you might have to use the drivers for 9, since they don't work in X, or the manufacturer doesn't supply an upgrade path.

If you're just starting out, tho, your need for OS 9 is probably non-existent.

TEG
Aug 22, 2003, 11:18 AM
I have several games that will open to a menu in "Classic" in OSX, but will not load the actual game.

Examples of this:
SimCity 3000 (Load 66% of the city, music continuest to play, but no load)
Warcraft II (Want the CD even though its in the drive)

Also OSX doesn't support IPX, a major gaming protocal:
Starcraft

And the quality is better for some games (i.e. no skiping of video or sound)
Star Trek: Starfleet Academy

Those are my primary reasons to run OS9. I haven't tried any of these on a "new" non-OS9 bootable machine. Until someone fixed these problems, I'll keep my powerbook nearby.

TEG

bwawn
Aug 22, 2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by mactastic

Have you guys tried Gimp-print (http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3)? They list the Epson Stylus Photo 2200 as being "fully operational," meaning it might do all the paper sizes properly for you directly in OS X.

Powerbook G5
Aug 22, 2003, 11:32 AM
The reason to boot into OS 9 is because Mac OS 9 is just cool!:)

Eniregnat
Aug 22, 2003, 11:42 AM
For me there are two reasons:

1.) Screen reader software. Outspoken is not ported to OSX yet. From the feed back I have recieved it may never be ported. This makes OSX unusable by people with visual or perceptual difficulties. (This is the only boot reason.) In less Apple finds somebody to make a screen reader with navagation they will loose the ability to state that they are a dissibility friendly platform.

2.) Software- I own thousands of dollars of tools that I canít afford to upgrade, but would like to run on a faster platform.

sonofslim
Aug 22, 2003, 12:00 PM
Quark, quark, quark, quark, quark. Quark quark, quark. And... quark.

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 22, 2003, 12:10 PM
Quiet, Hobbes.

benixau
Aug 22, 2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by TEG

Also OSX doesn't support IPX, a major gaming protocal:
TEG

any ideas why anyone? It is used even in commercial *nix based networks ....

©*nix may be a tradmark of the Open Source Group. If it is thankyou for letting me use it in general conversation like this. I was not attempting to sell a product of any sort.

themadchemist
Aug 22, 2003, 02:35 PM
for the longest time, I chose NOT to boot to OS X. 'Always more comfortable with the interface we had since system 7. But then I started booting in OS X for a little while at the prodding of a friend, and I never wanted to go back.

OS 9 got jealous and I had terrible problems everytime I booted in OS 9. Once, it even caused the system to stop recognizing my hard drive.

So yes, I see your point NOW. There's little reason to boot in OS 9, esp. if you've started to use OS X now, because OS 9 is like an envious ex-girlfriend. :D

(although this is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, it's the only explanation I've been able to come up with for why OS 9 started acting mean to me all of a sudden.)

Powerbook G5
Aug 22, 2003, 02:58 PM
I had the problem, too. I booted into OS X to learn to use the terminal for a day or two and had a bad time trying to get OS 9 to work right afterwards. I think the reason for this is that if you use the Classic enviroment, it adds all these files in your OS 9 system folder in order for OS X to hook into OS 9...once I started getting rid of all those files, OS 9 worked as well as ever.

simX
Aug 22, 2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
Quiet, Hobbes.

I thought Hobbes started incessantly repeating the word "smock", not "quark".

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 22, 2003, 03:58 PM
Hobbes has done both.

He said "quark" when Calvin was talking about technology/science. I can't remember the specific instance, unfortunately. :(

Gus
Aug 22, 2003, 04:25 PM
One word: Finale.

I have to go back to 9 all the time for Finale from Coda Software to work properly with MIDI files. In "Classic" (not booting into 9, but real classic), the sound output is all wrong when working with Finale. Coda promised new software in 2003, but now it's going to be 2004. Otherwise, I am OS X all the way for 3 years now.

Regards,
Gus

caveman_uk
Aug 22, 2003, 04:38 PM
I have never found a single reason to use OS9. I had it for a while on my ibook but now I don't have it installed on either of my macs. All the hardware I use has OS X drivers and when I'm looking to buy new hardware, if a device doesn't have OS X drivers, I don't buy it.

Schiffi
Aug 22, 2003, 05:13 PM
I boot into OS9 to restore a backup (via delete then dragndrop) or VGS.

tjwett
Aug 22, 2003, 05:30 PM
Lots of VST instruments and effects are not OS X compatible yet. I use Logic in 9 and X.
And Photoshop and Illustrator for X are both crappy bug trap ports.

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 22, 2003, 06:01 PM
When I got my iBook last year, one of the first things I did was to delete OS 9. A couple months later, the office got a new digital camera that needed a firmware update to work with Jaguar. Since I was running Jaguar, the only way to update the firmware was to boot from OS9. The stupid tech support lady chewed me out for having deleted OS9. I updated the firmware from another office computer running XP.

Anyhoo, I installed OS9 again later on to play Descent 3, but it didn't work well at all. I haven't gotten around to deleting it since then.