PDA

View Full Version : photo not sharp on Touch

bogman12
Sep 21, 2007, 04:37 PM
The highres photos that I uploaded to my Touch doesn't have the same resolution inside the Touch.. When I zoom in all the way, the resolution is not there. Almost looks like it's a lower-res copy inside the Touch, once the photo is uploaded there...

gloss
Sep 21, 2007, 04:38 PM
The highres photos that I uploaded to my Touch doesn't have the same resolution inside the Touch.. When I zoom in all the way, the resolution is not there. Almost looks like it's a lower-res copy inside the Touch, once the photo is uploaded there...

It does resize for the Touch.

wonginator1221
Sep 21, 2007, 04:39 PM
I believe iTunes converts it into an iPod touch format which doesn't have a high resolution.

bogman12
Sep 21, 2007, 04:54 PM
Doh!

Why did Apple cripple the photo algorithm given the screen allows such high resolution?

My Treo displays photos at 1:1 resolution, and that device is not even media-centric like the Touch is!

Sweetbike40
Sep 21, 2007, 04:57 PM
I believe when you sync the photos to iPhoto or any other folder, it creates a smaller file. I THINK if you just drop the photos at a higher res. yourself (no sync) MAYBE then you have control over the size. They will then just take up more space. Just a thought. I haven't tried it yet but thought to do it when i get home. Partly the reason i got this is to show off photos.

madmaxmedia
Sep 21, 2007, 05:02 PM
Well, how big do you want the photos to be? If you have a bunch of 10 MP images from your DLSR, I don't think you really need full-size resolution on the Touch. The interface wouldn't be nearly as smooth either for that.

On other iPods you can have the iPod store a copy of the original hi-res file, if you want to copy it to another computer. But I think you need disk mode to access the file.

If you had a few photos you really wanted to view on the Touch in original resolution, you can store the images within Safari bookmarks and sync them to your Touch-

http://www.insanelygreattees.com/news/?p=51

Since you can organize bookmarks into photos, this would actually be a reasonable way of storing some higher res photos. But I would probably watch out for the file sizes, the link mentions crashing Safari with 4000 pixel wide images.

bogman12
Sep 21, 2007, 05:07 PM
Well, how big do you want the photos to be? If you have a bunch of 10 MP images from your DLSR, I don't think you really need full-size resolution on the Touch. The interface wouldn't be nearly as smooth either for that.

madmax: I've uploaded some 900x700 photos which has great detail on my MacBook. On the Touch, when I zoom-in slightly to see a part of the image in detail, what I find is that it's just an interpolated up-size of whatever size the image is in, inside the Touch. The image inside the Touch definitely is not the original 900x600.

This is really bad. I think Apple's workaround for the Touch interface is to only allow low res images which then can be processed quickly by the CPU and thus you get the smooth UI feedback.

I'm willing to think that it iTunes resizes the image down to its native res of 480x320. The actual photo could be even less than that depending on the aspect ratio. Any resizing done while viewing is just zooming into an image that is either 480pixels wide or 320pixels high.

madmaxmedia
Sep 21, 2007, 05:29 PM
Try the filemarkmaker thing, just to see what the Touch can handle CPU-wise.

I think the Touch can handle bigger images fine, but they probably went with the smaller size to cut down on storage space.

Most Apple apps that handle JPEG's don't seem to use much compression (such as when you email photos from iPhoto in Mail.app), so the file sizes are a little bigger.