PDA

View Full Version : Touch vs Nano for HS student?

gregjp48
Sep 21, 2007, 06:29 PM
I was really excited when I saw the ipod Touch announced. I need a new iPod desperately since my 4G died, and I figured I could look up movie times or whatever after class if me and a couple of friends were going out or something.

What bothers me is that you can't change songs with the touch screen in your pocket easily, and it doesn't appear as though the remote works (plus, the remote is 50 dollars anyway). The click wheel is tried & true. Would I be trading away basic MP3 functionality for a Wi-Fi browser? Plus, I heard the sound quality isn't as good, and there's a "hiss" (I have good quality earphones, not going to be using the apple buds). Is this true? Gizmodo didn't review it so well, and they're usually complete Apple fanboys, so I'm a little hesitant.

So, basically, is the touch good as an ipod, or would I be better off with a nano? I really want that web functionality, but if I'm going to be swearing everytime I try to use the ipod as an IPOD, then maybe I should just go for the nano?

Thanks.

Luigi239
Sep 21, 2007, 06:43 PM
I highly recommend the touch. It really is a nice device. The internet features work great, and the interface, is much better then that of the nano. Although you can't change songs in your pocket, it really isn't as big of a deal as you think. I got used to it pretty quickly. Also, viewing video on the thing is great. The display is massive.

Also, I don't notice any audio quality difference with my in ear buds, then with my old nano. I do hear a slight hiss during playback, but its basically white noise, and after about 30 seconds, you get used to it and it goes away.

Unless you need the small size of the nano, go for the touch.

CalBoy
Sep 21, 2007, 06:50 PM
My answer is two fold.

Firstly, if your school has WiFi (mine did, but only near the library), then the touch can be better used on campus. If, however, your campus doesn't have WiFi (or it does, but not for students) then I'd advise against it. The touch would only be good those times when you're not near a computer but near a Hot Spot. Since you're in high school, a bulk of your time is spent there. If you aren't going to be able to use it there, what's the point?

Secondly, the nano is easier to hide and slip away. If you choose to "leave" class (ie, not pay attention) it is really easy to slip the headphones between layers of clothing and use the click wheel. As you pointed out, the wheel really is a tried and true method of navigation.

To sum up: get the nano. It is cheaper, still has video, is easier to hide, is easier to navigate without eye sight, and has better battery life than the touch.

-kritter-
Sep 21, 2007, 06:50 PM
i would go with the touch, it is a hassle pulling it out in class and in the halls just to change a song, i know first hand... but the coolness factor of what it is and what it can do far outweighs the fact that it is a hassle to use at times...

gregjp48
Sep 21, 2007, 06:51 PM
I was really excited when I saw the ipod Touch announced. I need a new iPod desperately since my 4G died, and I figured I could look up movie times or whatever after class if me and a couple of friends were going out or something.

What bothers me is that you can't change songs with the touch screen in your pocket easily, and it doesn't appear as though the remote works (plus, the remote is 50 dollars anyway). The click wheel is tried & true. Would I be trading away basic MP3 functionality for a Wi-Fi browser? Plus, I heard the sound quality isn't as good, and there's a "hiss" (I have good quality earphones, not going to be using the apple buds). Is this true? Gizmodo didn't review it so well, and they're usually complete Apple fanboys, so I'm a little hesitant.

So, basically, is the touch good as an ipod, or would I be better off with a nano? I really want that web functionality, but if I'm going to be swearing everytime I try to use the ipod as an IPOD, then maybe I should just go for the nano?

Thanks.

EDIT: how's the interface on the nano. I don't want a classic because I tried it and it seems very laggy. Plus, I don't need a hard drive for my music bigger than the one in my laptop (though backup would be nice), and I just don't want to deal with a hard drive failing.

Edit Again: whoops, I quoted instead of edit. I guess I'm tired. Mods if you could please fix that?

gregjp48
Sep 21, 2007, 06:55 PM
i would go with the touch, it is a hassle pulling it out in class and in the halls just to change a song, i know first hand... but the coolness factor of what it is and what it can do far outweighs the fact that it is a hassle to use at times...

well ipods are banned in my school during class and lunch, so that doesn't bug me too much, but I'm worried if I'm like on the subway (NYC) and I want to skip to the next song without displaying to the world that I have an iPod that just came out

edit: also, since I live in NYC, we're bound to have city wide wi-fi in the near future, and what a kick in the nuts it would be to buy a nano and then have the mayor announce city wide, when I could've had the internet wherever...

CalBoy
Sep 21, 2007, 07:00 PM
well ipods are banned in my school during class and lunch, so that doesn't bug me too much, but I'm worried if I'm like on the subway (NYC) and I want to skip to the next song without displaying to the world that I have an iPod that just came out

And you follow the rules huh:rolleyes: I believe every school tries to ban iPods, but their abilities to be hidden are quite excellent. As I pointed out in my other post, hiding the headphones and the iPod itself is incredibly easy.

Out of curiosity, why are they banned during lunch? Isn't that "your" time?

As for the subway, I suggest going with the nano yet again, because you're just yelling "pick-pocket's dream" when you pull out a touch. The nano has the virtue of being able to be used without being shown to all would-be thieves.

gregjp48
Sep 21, 2007, 07:04 PM
And you follow the rules huh:rolleyes: I believe every school tries to ban iPods, but their abilities to be hidden are quite excellent. As I pointed out in my other post, hiding the headphones and the iPod itself is incredibly easy.

Out of curiosity, why are they banned during lunch? Isn't that "your" time?

As for the subway, I suggest going with the nano yet again, because you're just yelling "pick-pocket's dream" when you pull out a touch. The nano has the virtue of being able to be used without being shown to all would-be thieves.

well the problem is I have in ear earphones, so they block out the noise, and then it's easier to get caught.

And the whole banning during lunch is because they don't want to be responsible for theft. less expensive devices the better i suppose, but everyone brings ipods and phones for after school anyway, so it's not like it makes much of a difference. But this way, they can say, we warned you, and have no liability.

marioman38
Sep 21, 2007, 07:08 PM
My school just banned them last year. My freshman year. :( Everyone before me could listen to their iPods in class :mad: I like the touch, but its pretty $$ the only reason is to use Wi-Fi, or better video. Think how often you will need safari on your iPod, that should be your deciding factor.

(You can edit your previous quote. Click Edit then "Go Advanced" and delete the quoted text.)

-kritter-
Sep 21, 2007, 07:08 PM

edit: also, since I live in NYC, we're bound to have city wide wi-fi in the near future, and what a kick in the nuts it would be to buy a nano and then have the mayor announce city wide, when I could've had the internet wherever...

They are banned as well at my school, but who is to say i have ever been kept from my music, im actually without an ipod for the next two weeks. I exchanged my touch at BB "looking for a 38th week". Mine was a 37th week with a defective screen, but they were all out of stock:(

But i can understand your argument about being in new york and not wanting to flash the thing around, they best thing i could tell you would be to get a case that would make the touch a tad bit more discreet...

zioxide
Sep 21, 2007, 07:09 PM
Well you're a HS student so i'm guessing you're on a fairly limited budget (I was when I was in HS a couple years ago anyways) so I'd say go with the nano. You get the same storage for like half the price. The touch is just to gimmicky and meh, plus you'd probably get distracted in class if you could browse the web on it.

Just get the nano and be done with it.

Also I laugh at all you high schoolers and your ****** rules. College > *

CalBoy
Sep 21, 2007, 07:11 PM
well the problem is I have in ear earphones, so they block out the noise, and then it's easier to get caught.

Ahh. Well, then I guess you'd better not use it in class (you shouldn't really; doing well in school is important. I'm sure your parents want you to go to Columbia or NYU huh?).

And the whole banning during lunch is because they don't want to be responsible for theft. less expensive devices the better i suppose, but everyone brings ipods and phones for after school anyway, so it's not like it makes much of a difference. But this way, they can say, we warned you, and have no liability.

Usually schools don't take much liability for stuff like this. They have an amusement park policy in place.

gregjp48
Sep 21, 2007, 07:13 PM
the alternative is to go out and buy a sidekick with just data, but i much prefer safari, plus a sidekick, verizon phone (tmobile reception sucks where i live), and an ipod in my pockets all at once don't sound very enticing.

don't care about video much at all at present moment

and i have a good amount of money saved up, so budget isn't a problem (since both are 300 and under at 8gb).

And as for the distraction, who says that's a bad thing :D,
eh, no that is true, but I'd like to think I could control the urge to whip out the internet in the middle of history.

And the weirdest thing is, my school has wifi, yet only some of the science teachers have laptops (old, windows), and the network in the library is wired.

and my parents don't care where I go (wherever I want, or rather get into, like I'm not being pushed, it's my choice), but yeah I'd like to go to columbia or NYU or something that would be nice.

I guess a trip to the apple store is in order to see which ipod I prefer the interface of/like the feel of in my hand. I was always wary of the nano being TOO small, as I found my 4G just right, albeit a bit thick.

zioxide
Sep 21, 2007, 07:21 PM
well you could always get the 80 gig classic if you liked the size of your 4G. better than the touch imo. more storage and less money.

CalBoy
Sep 21, 2007, 07:26 PM
the alternative is to go out and buy a sidekick with just data, but i much prefer safari, plus a sidekick, verizon phone (tmobile reception sucks where i live), and an ipod in my pockets all at once don't sound very enticing.
That's way too many gadgets in your pocket. What you really need is an iPhone;) But seriously, I know that isn't possible, so I'll amend my opinion from before.
If you really can't live without a pocket device with internet access, then get the touch. If you can (and I know you can, because the internet is fair at best on a device like that), then go for the nano.

and i have a good amount of money saved up, so budget isn't a problem (since both are 300 and under at 8gb).
Good. Having more money is always a good thing. However, I still suggest getting the nano and saving the rest. You can open a CD or a high yield savings account. You don't want to let that money burn a hole in your pocket;):)

And as for the distraction, who says that's a bad thing :D,
eh, no that is true, but I'd like to think I could control the urge to whip out the internet in the middle of history.
You won't be able to, trust me. Once it's there, you'll know, and you won't remember when Washington crossed the Delaware (remember, it was Christmas night, 1776).

and my parents don't care where I go (wherever I want, or rather get into, like I'm not being pushed, it's my choice), but yeah I'd like to go to columbia or NYU or something that would be nice.
Well, always aim high. The better the school, the better your opportunities will be in life (ok, family moment over now:p).

peter32892
Sep 21, 2007, 08:20 PM
I say nano because it will be a hassle with an ipod touch. I am a freshmen at my high school (boo freshmen :rolleyes:) But at my school you can use them during lunch and stuff but I don't get when else you could really listen to an ipod when your suppose to be learning but hey you may want to listen to it in class because what else is there to do :rolleyes::confused::eek: Also an ipod nano in nyc is like saying yeah I am here I am nice just take me I won't bit I just need to be touched a lot. So yeah get the nano they are cool besides the stupid tilted screen/screen problems.

kajitox
Sep 22, 2007, 04:15 AM
I will say hands down, nano. I have had 3 iPods and my nano is by far my favorite one ever. The size will surprise you no matter how many pictures you see of it; this device is beautiful. The ONLY gripes I have with it are that coverflow is not absolutely blazing fast (but that doesn't matter to me since coverflow is a gimmick anyway), and that it is easy to get scratched up. BUT, these are not reasons why you shouldn't buy. It is amazingly tiny, convenient and an all around wonderful product, especially for the fact that you can save a couple hundred bucks!

Just for reference, I am a 1st year college student.

buffalo
Sep 22, 2007, 09:33 PM
Junior in high school right now. I bought myself a 16gb touch. School wasn't really factored into the decision though. I have to pay attention in class and the WiFi network is secured so the touch won't be used in school. Really though, I don't think it's logical to have other people tell you what to get. I think the touch is the coolest device I've ever had, but I just saw the new nano in person today and I also that was nice. Get what ever fits your needs best.

Football1maniac
Sep 22, 2007, 10:18 PM
I am a High School student and I just recently purchased an iPod touch. This little device is amazing, and I say that it is smarter then half of my teachers.:D Today I actually tested out the iPod Nano for the first time, and my gawd! The thing is way to small for me. It's like putting a quarter in your pocket, and you don't feel it inside. I highly recommend the touch, and you know that years to come, whatever Apple comes up with, they can easily send out an update for the touch.:apple:

andiwm2003
Sep 23, 2007, 03:05 PM
sorry to bump this thread. but i played with the ipod touch at the apple store and i think it's great.

i'm thinking of buying one but i have a few questions:
how good is wifi reception?

my main problem right now with the ipod touch is that there is no text editor to take note included. also there is no pdf viewer included.

that is a shame because i would like to download texts and publications from my mac to the ipod and read them offline later on. with the great screen that should work like a charm.

is there any software on the horizon that does that?

reading pdf's and a text editor are actually the dealbreaker for me.

andi

btw: i guess the prices will drop soon or the memory goes up to 24 GB soon. just look at the price drop for the iphone.

gregjp48
Sep 24, 2007, 11:30 AM
i think i'm going to go with the nano.

It's not set in stone, but my ibook needs a new battery, and it would be nice to have some extra cash for all the amazing 360 and wii games coming out in the next few months.

Plus, I should probably buy a backup drive.

Otherwise, I could get the classic and use that as a backup+ music (if that's possible with disk mode, I think it is).

Ahh decisions decisions

0sX Le0p4rD
Sep 25, 2007, 09:54 PM
Go for the touch. I haven't experianced any problems with mine..

Ilovemyipod
Dec 7, 2007, 06:36 PM

That sucks. My high school doesn't care (only in class of course)but at lunch you can listen to it all the time. even talk on your cell phone.

Well i live in SO*CAL we hang (more) loose. than most places.
(its hot here thats why were so loose)

Techguy172
Dec 7, 2007, 06:56 PM
We Can listen to music in class as long as the teacher isn't teaching. I'd recommend the nano simply because there is less risk of it being stolen and you can change songs in your pocket etc. it does look nice too.

apsterling
Dec 7, 2007, 07:04 PM
I have an 8Gb touch (and found the password for the network, through my ever so awesome band teacher) and since the airports are on each corner of the school (a rectangle) and the arts area (outlying), I can use wifi in class.

I have some teachers I wouldn't try to sneak an iPod by (History, unfortunately; English, which is a decent class; and Geometry; but I can manage it in Biology, Spanish, and off days on Band) I'd say the touch, but the nano isn't a bad option.

If you'd jailbreak, there's a wealth of stuff, like a Guitar/instrument tuner and Metronome for musicians, iPhone apps for Weather/Note/Stock/Mail Conscious people, (my school blocks IMAP for Gmail, though) IM, which is nice as many of my friends are in Florida, so time zones allow for talking in Geometry and Biology, and the end of lunch, and games to pass time.

It also works quite well as a planner for me. I can keep track of my assignments for school, as well as birthdays and events.

SXR
Dec 8, 2007, 01:01 PM
I would go with the touch. I hear this all the time "I can't change songs in my pocket". How can you do that with a nano? When I have my nano in my pocket its on HOLD because if it wasnt on hold it could change the volume all the time because of the sensitive Click wheel.

So if you want to change songs in your pocket with the nano ( or any other click wheel ipod ) you will have to switch the hold switch and then press next?
Thats pretty much a hassle aswell.

clevin
Dec 8, 2007, 01:57 PM
what you got wrong is to use iPT as an iPod?

compare touch and nano.

basically, you are paying $100 more for functions that are not good for a PMP other than big screen.

however, people always think they "only" need certain function from a device, until they realize all the goodies from the extra functions..

IMHO, if you don't mind the size and price, always get a device with more functions than you "think" you need.

Tom B.
Dec 8, 2007, 03:53 PM
I hear this all the time "I can't change songs in my pocket". How can you do that with a nano? When I have my nano in my pocket its on HOLD because if it wasnt on hold it could change the volume all the time because of the sensitive Click wheel.

So if you want to change songs in your pocket with the nano ( or any other click wheel ipod ) you will have to switch the hold switch and then press next?
Thats pretty much a hassle aswell.

It's much easier to do with the third generation nano, than the second, because the hold switch has been moved to the bottom. I change songs and volume while mine is in my pocket all the time, and it's not at all annoying or difficult.

Anyway, I'm sure gregjp48 has chosen and bought an iPod by now, because this thread is over a month old.

fabianjj
Dec 9, 2007, 05:14 PM
I'm just started high school and felt I needed to replace my good ol' 1g 2gb (seriously I have no idea how i ever could have been fine wit that storage) nano. I too was thinking about a touch or a nano.

But I settled with a classic, because I couldn't justify losing 9/10ths of storage for a web browser (the 2.5" screen on the classic is fine for watching video).

BTW: My father bouht the classic for me when he was in the states on a business trip, they're VERY cheap over there, back in sweden the price for an 80gb classic would traslate to just over 400$

bc008
Dec 9, 2007, 06:54 PM
i vote the touch.
one of the best if not the best ipod i have ever owned.
(comming from a person who has had ipod videos, nanos, shuffles, and an iphone)

bloodycape
Dec 9, 2007, 07:00 PM
Get a VZW phone that has wifi(like the Samsung I760), and then get the Nano.

Or get the Touch and an remote adapter that lets you skip tracks with out brining out your Touch. Something like the FM radio remote that lets you skip tracks and such.

gregjp48
Jan 11, 2008, 11:57 PM
It's much easier to do with the third generation nano, than the second, because the hold switch has been moved to the bottom. I change songs and volume while mine is in my pocket all the time, and it's not at all annoying or difficult.

Anyway, I'm sure gregjp48 has chosen and bought an iPod by now, because this thread is over a month old.

yeah i did I decided on the touch just because I liked it way too much.
The coverflow
the wifi
the scrolling through playlists
everything just works well; better than a VERY miniaturized click wheel IMHO
i like the nano too though, just like the touch more