PDA

View Full Version : Firewire HD via Powerbook

iEric
Aug 22, 2003, 09:55 AM
I've seen this topic before, but i couldn't find it in the search...
Sooo...the question is...

how do i connect to my powerbook's hard drive via a firewire cord to my powermac??

OutThere
Aug 22, 2003, 10:07 AM
Run a firewire cable from your powerbook to your powermac, then start up the powerbook holding T immediatley after you press the power button. It will boot into firewire target disk mode and appear on the desktop of your powermac as a firewire HD. Hope this helps!:)

TEG
Aug 22, 2003, 10:11 AM
This is how you do it... BTW it is explained in your Powerbook's User Manual. You need a 6-pin to 6-pin Firewire cable. Also you can use either the 'book or the PM/iM/eM as a Firewire disk.... the setup is similar.

1) With the Powerbook/iBook Off, connect it to the desired machine.
2) Powerup the notebook and hold down the "T" key. The startup screen should change into a Firewire Icon.
3) Your 'Book's HD should show up on the machine you want.
4) When finished simply drag the HD to the Trash... Then the book will continue to startup normaly.

Hope this helps...

TEG

iEric
Aug 22, 2003, 10:34 AM
Thanks to both of you.
BTW, I didn't receive a Manual or any book as my Powerbook was second hand - all i got was the cds.
Thanks

mactastic
Aug 22, 2003, 10:43 AM
If they are both recent macs you could even go with an ethernet cable between the two. That would take advantage of the Gigabit capabilites, and you shouldn't even need a crossover cable. Macs are smart like that.