PDA

View Full Version : previously unknown role of Dept. Homeland Security

zimv20
Aug 22, 2003, 10:13 AM
i have a friend who lives in LA. a year ago, she and her boyfriend went to get CA drivers licenses. she got hers immediately. the boyfriend still has not received his.

after numerous calls to the DMV, he was finally told his approval is being held up by -- the dept of homeland security. (!!!!) and the DHS refuses to provide a reason for the hold up.

so what's unique about this guy? he was born in south korea. never mind he's been living in the US 20 years and has been a citizen for 10.

so far, this has been unreported in the media (i found out about it just last night). has anyone heard of anything similar?

ThoughtKriminal
Aug 22, 2003, 11:39 AM
I havent heard anything like this. It doesnt suprise me, but it does discust me. Oooh no! think of the damage a naturalized korean could do with a -gasp- drivers liscence. Thank the caucasian american chrisitan GOD that DHS is protecting us from the imminent dangers of korean drivers.

And in all honesty, even if he was a communist spy or whatever.. not giving him his liscence only seems like your mocking him. Very f---in' produtive.......

RobVanDam
Aug 22, 2003, 12:41 PM
It probably got flagged by computer and now it is being dealt with through paperwork. That would explain alot.

At least, that's what I hope happened. Otherwise, it's just incredibly f-----' stupid.

Desertrat
Aug 22, 2003, 01:10 PM
SFAIK, there should be quite a large number of immigrants from South Korea with similar time-spans in the U.S. and who are now citizens. (As well as many other Asian countries)

It would be interesting to find out if this sort of problem has become common since National Paranoia became institutionalized. 'Scuse me: Since we got the Patriot Act.

'Rat

RobVanDam
Aug 22, 2003, 01:13 PM
What does SFAIK mean?

Backtothemac
Aug 22, 2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by ThoughtKriminal
I havent heard anything like this. It doesnt suprise me, but it does discust me. Oooh no! think of the damage a naturalized korean could do with a -gasp- drivers liscence. Thank the caucasian american chrisitan GOD that DHS is protecting us from the imminent dangers of korean drivers.

And in all honesty, even if he was a communist spy or whatever.. not giving him his liscence only seems like your mocking him. Very f---in' produtive.......

Man, with all do resect. Keep your insults to yourself. Post your opinion, but as for the insult, there is not place for it here.

tazo
Aug 22, 2003, 02:16 PM
I dont appreciate the caucasian-american comment either; Especially when the caucasian-american is one of the more discriminated "people" :rolleyes:

toontra
Aug 22, 2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by RobVanDam
What does SFAIK mean?

So far as I know - (at least SFAIK!) ;)

mactastic
Aug 22, 2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by tazo
I dont appreciate the caucasian-american comment either; Especially when the caucasian-american is one of the more discriminated "people" :rolleyes:

You're kidding right? You really think white people get a raw deal? His comment was in poor taste, but BTTM already got him... I'm curious to know how you are discriminated against. (I'm assuming you are white.)

mcrain
Aug 22, 2003, 03:11 PM
I have heard tales on NPR of people all with the same name who have been stopped repeatedly at airports because their names were red-flagged.

I've also seen investigations into finances of people where the people being investigated had no idea the investigation was taking place.

As for discrimination, and the earlier comment, I think it was intended to be sarcasm, and as such, was effective to have riled you all. If it was sarcasm, the underlying point that it "seems" like the government is singling out anyone who is not white and christian (Alabama is a good example), is still valid.

As for who gets discriminated against, there is no question in my mind that if you are a minority, you get the short end of the stick. This holds especially true if you are Asian. The "Asian" check box on job and college applications represents over half the world's population! In fact, they did studies of California before the proposition to get rid of affirmative action in college entrance reviews. The study showed that African Americans and Hispanic enrollment would drop, Caucasion enrollment would stay fairly steady with only a slight growth, and Asian enrollment would grow dramatically. Clearly, then, the Asian students were the ones being discriminated against for the most part, not the Caucasions. I'm sure it's different everywhere depending on the demographics, but telling nonetheless.

Backtothemac
Aug 22, 2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by mactastic
You're kidding right? You really think white people get a raw deal? His comment was in poor taste, but BTTM already got him... I'm curious to know how you are discriminated against. (I'm assuming you are white.)

Although I consider myself a Native American, I look white. I was specifically told by the Marine Corps recruiting station here that I could not go into the Marines as an office becuase I was white. That they needed black people, and Latinos.

Also, I was higher qualified for a position for a job than the person that got the job. He was black. I look white. When asked they said that they had to have so many black people on staff, even though he was far lessor qualified than I. How do I know that. He is one of my best friends. He did not take the position.

mactastic
Aug 22, 2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Although I consider myself a Native American, I look white. I was specifically told by the Marine Corps recruiting station here that I could not go into the Marines as an office becuase I was white. That they needed black people, and Latinos.

Also, I was higher qualified for a position for a job than the person that got the job. He was black. I look white. When asked they said that they had to have so many black people on staff, even though he was far lessor qualified than I. How do I know that. He is one of my best friends. He did not take the position.

Ok, but compare that to the kind of crap I've seen other minorities go through. So you got a little reverse discrimination thrown your way. No one has ever called you things that would cause you fear because you are (look) white. I've heard and seen people treat some of the hispanic people around here like dirt, simply because they look different. And I really haven't seen much. I have heard stories that would raise your hair. When you look at the broad spectrum of our business leaders and political leaders what do you see? Lots and lots of middle aged and older white men. A few minorities and women here and there, but nowhere near their levels in the population. The worst thing a white person has to fear is a little job discrimination.

We could debate the merits of Affirmative Action, we probably agree broadly that it is bad and needs to go, although I think we would disagree on the timetable, but that's not really what I was going after. I can't believe Tazo has had that much difficulty in life because of his color. I doubt you really have either. It doesn't seem to have affected your success in life.

ThoughtKriminal
Aug 22, 2003, 03:45 PM
How is that an insult? and to who? It was sarcasm. If it offended you, Am i supposed to be sorry?

I cant even drive for an hour without getting stuck behind someone with a "thank God for Bush" or some crap bumper sticker. I just added the same adjectives they mean/imply.

Backtothemac
Aug 22, 2003, 03:49 PM
How is that an insult? and to who? It was sarcasm. If it offended you, Am i supposed to be sorry?

I cant even drive for an hour without getting stuck behind someone with a "thank God for Bush" or some crap bumper sticker. I just added the same adjectives they mean/imply.

Oh, come on. If you can't see why it would be offensive then that is your own problem. But it is offensive, and an insult.

Not all Christians are white. Nor are all radicals.

mactastic
Aug 22, 2003, 03:52 PM

Calm down. Those same Bush lovers probably can't go the same hour without seeing an Impeach Bush sticker or some other nonsense.

Backtothemac
Aug 22, 2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by mactastic
Calm down. Those same Bush lovers probably can't go the same hour without seeing an Impeach Bush sticker or some other nonsense.

Thanks man. You found the comment offensive did you not?

mactastic
Aug 22, 2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Thanks man. You found the comment offensive did you not?

It was just one of those things that is only gonna start trouble. And the fact that he didn't care that it was insulting to someone. Everyone's got a right to speak, but I would like to see this place stay civil and stick to the issues. Name calling and offensive posting is just juvenile. Besides, it detracts from the fun!:D

ThoughtKriminal
Aug 22, 2003, 04:03 PM
Yes, but its pretty much the white radical ones that support ideas like not letting a 20 year american citizen get his liscense because he was born in North Korea. And if you picture god as a white american, than chances are you are a radical. My sarcasm was directed towards the radicals, not real christians or anyone who says "thank god".

If you want to make it a racial issue, I would put money that at least per capita, a black or hispanic person in america is a lot more likely to be a devoted christian than a white person.

mactastic
Aug 22, 2003, 04:06 PM
I've started using a quote from Bender, the robot from Futurama. When I would normally say "Oh my God!" (blasphemous I know, but it comes out alot) I have replaced it with "Oh your God!" :D

Backtothemac
Aug 22, 2003, 04:09 PM
Yes, but its pretty much the white radical ones that support ideas like not letting a 20 year american citizen get his liscense because he was born in North Korea. And if you picture god as a white american, than chances are you are a radical. My sarcasm was directed towards the radicals, not real christians or anyone who says "thank god".

If you want to make it a racial issue, I would put money that at least per capita, a black or hispanic person in america is a lot more likely to be a devoted christian than a white person.

Ok, first off, how do you know that the only reason that his license is held up is because of his background. There could be 2,000 other reasons. Second, you act like only radicals are supporting the DHS. That is absurd. I think we are all for something that will prevent terror, but not infringe upon rights. Having a license is not a right. It is a priviledge. And it is narrow minded to say that blacks, and hispanics are more likely to be a devoted christian than a white person.

That is racism at its heart. And quite frankly flamebait.

ThoughtKriminal
Aug 22, 2003, 04:10 PM
Its not name calling. And no, i dont care if your offended by being called what you must think that you are to take it as an insult in the first place.

Its like me saying "Stupid people are stupid" and then you throwing a fit because i *obviously* called YOU stupid?

Backtothemac
Aug 22, 2003, 04:12 PM
Its not name calling. And no, i dont care if your offended by being called what you must think that you are to take it as an insult in the first place.

Its like me saying "Stupid people are stupid" and then you throwing a fit because i *obviously* called YOU stupid?

No dude, it is lumping a group of people into a catagory becuase of their race.

ThoughtKriminal
Aug 22, 2003, 04:14 PM
Its not a racist thing to say. Leave the suburbs and sit infront of a couple churches on sunday if you want proof.