PDA

View Full Version : MWSF 2008 Meetup

arn
Sep 21, 2007, 11:31 PM
Hi guys,

We're going to try to coordinate a more official meetup this year at MWSF. Last year, we had a small informal one that I think worked out well and was kinda fun.

No official plans have been made, but tentatively, it is planned for the evening of Monday Jan 14th, the night before the keynote.

The reason for this time is that Keynote day is a crazy day with a lot of other activities going on, and major announcements. It's hard to find the time on that day. Also, meeting people early means you can recognize folk for the rest of the conference.

I was at Macworld SF 2007 but only know the area in passing. So, I'm going to open it up for locations/suggestions. I know last year there were some who wanted to lean away from a bar due to age restrictions, but I think a bar/restaurant is the best option.

I'm not sure how many people would show up, but last year's informal meetup brought together about 10 people. I think this could be significantly more if it is official.

I'm open to renting/paying for a space or other activities if necessary. I think location-wise we should try to make it close to Moscone as it will be the easiest for people to get find.

arn

ravenvii
Sep 21, 2007, 11:48 PM
Sure, I'm in!

arn
Sep 22, 2007, 09:06 PM
(moved thread to site feedback)

iHerzeleid
Sep 23, 2007, 11:47 PM
I'll go. Heck maybe ill win that scholarship again.

lofight
Nov 22, 2007, 11:04 AM
I would want to go, but i think 13 is not olf enough ey?? :p

aljawad
Dec 3, 2007, 03:10 PM
Sure. Count me in! :)

sonofpismo
Dec 3, 2007, 03:35 PM
This is my second SteveNote, but 1st time to MWSF and California in general.

Bambeezer
Dec 3, 2007, 04:08 PM
What about one of the hotel bars or lounge areas? Surely they wouldn't mind the facilities being used if people are buying drinks. It would be a more relaxed atmosphere than a crowded bar or club.

thesdx
Dec 3, 2007, 04:19 PM
This is somewhat of a stupid question, but are Macworlds free to go to?

Mac 13
Dec 3, 2007, 04:56 PM

It's $29.00 for the exhibition hall which is good for 4 days. You can also try to win free tickets at The mac observer web site until DEC. 4th. For more info on Macworld go to their web page gives you all the prices. They also going to have a party on Tuesday night, but it cost $40 bucks. .......FYi :D
>
>
http://www.macobserver.com/contest/mwsf08contest.shtml

iLoveiPod
Dec 3, 2007, 07:31 PM
Ill be there :) Ill be attending SF State in the fall of 08, so i'll just be a few minutes away!

lduncan
Dec 3, 2007, 10:26 PM

Polar Bear Farm (my company) should be able to help you out. We're coming all the way from New Zealand, to exhibit at MacWorld, and got some exciting announcements planned.

Flick me an email layton at polarbearfarm.com if you're after an exhibit hall pass, we get a bunch of free ones as an exhibitor, as well as discounts on other passes.

But i'd be keen on a MacRumors meetup. i'll be there as long as nothing else conflicts.

gusapple
Dec 3, 2007, 11:01 PM

I looked up the rules, and it looks like if you have somebody older than 16 with you, then you are good to go.

Mac 13
Dec 4, 2007, 12:18 AM
Polar Bear Farm (my company) should be able to help you out. We're coming all the way from New Zealand, to exhibit at MacWorld, and got some exciting announcements planned.

Flick me an email layton at polarbearfarm.com if you're after an exhibit hall pass, we get a bunch of free ones as an exhibitor, as well as discounts on other passes.

But i'd be keen on a MacRumors meetup. i'll be there as long as nothing else conflicts.

Looking forward to check out your iphone apps @ Macworld 2008 :D

Tousiger
Dec 4, 2007, 07:21 AM
Hi everyone, i'm not often posting in the Forums (that's why i'm still a newb) but read it very often! ;)

I live in Montreal (Canada) but i'll be in San Francisco for the MacWorld Expo so bet i'll be there to meet with all of you! Count me in! I'll follow this thread to know where we are supposed to meet up since I don't now SF (but i'll be very close to the Moscone Center - 5 min. walk) :)

minik
Dec 4, 2007, 11:34 AM
I will goto MWSF 2008 too. Still debating getting the Keynote ticket or just a regular pass.

SXR
Dec 4, 2007, 11:39 AM

Besides, you're more than a 1000 miles away ( and so am I!) :(

IJ Reilly
Dec 4, 2007, 11:52 AM
Last year I suggested the lounge area on the ground floor level of Moscone South, which is what we did and, I believe it worked well. Unless someone has a better idea, I think this is still the best place to meet up. If somebody really wanted to kick this up to the next level, I suppose they could rent a meeting room on the mezzanine. Volunteers? :)

lofight
Dec 4, 2007, 11:54 AM
Besides, you're more than a 1000 miles away ( and so am I!) :(

:p yeah pitty..

Silencio
Dec 4, 2007, 07:12 PM
I'd be down for meeting up, schedule permitting...

neilah1
Dec 4, 2007, 11:12 PM
I live about 5 minutes from Moscone, so if I can help out in planning events/locations, I'd be happy to do so.

lduncan
Dec 5, 2007, 12:29 AM
I live about 5 minutes from Moscone, so if I can help out in planning events/locations, I'd be happy to do so.

party at yours then :D

iLoveiPod
Dec 5, 2007, 12:34 AM
Afterparty at my place! (about 10 mins away) How much is a keynote ticket anyway?

WildCowboy
Dec 5, 2007, 12:39 AM
How much is a keynote ticket anyway?

Cheapest ticket that gets you access to the keynote is $229 if you purchase by December 14th.

iLoveiPod
Dec 5, 2007, 12:53 AM
hah ill pass. Id rather sit outside of Moscone and watch updates come in on my mac.

arn
Dec 9, 2007, 10:44 PM
Please answer poll if interested

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=398905

arn

Mac 13
Dec 10, 2007, 12:41 AM
So no ideas hah? everybody must be christmas shopping :cool:

minik
Dec 10, 2007, 09:40 AM
I'm curious. I'm planning to get one of the Keynote eligible conference pass (for the first time), how soon should I wait in line on the 15? Last time I did a google check and people started to make line way early.

Mac 13
Dec 12, 2007, 01:37 PM
Just saw this at The Mac Observer:Win Tickets to Cirque du Mac Party 5.0!:D
>
>http://www.macobserver.com/contest/cdm5_index.shtml

Tousiger
Dec 13, 2007, 07:22 AM
I'm curious. I'm planning to get one of the Keynote eligible conference pass (for the first time), how soon should I wait in line on the 15? Last time I did a google check and people started to make line way early.

I want to know too... If someone could give an idea!

Since I will get there from Montreal... I want to see El Jobso at least once :D

minik
Dec 13, 2007, 12:25 PM
I want to know too... If someone could give an idea!

Since I will get there from Montreal... I want to see El Jobso at least once :D

Last I checked from other Jobs' & Co fans' photo, they were all lined up in way early morning (not even sunrise) outside of the Moscone Center.

WildCowboy
Dec 13, 2007, 01:01 PM
I attended the WWDC keynote in June (so the setup is a bit different), but I arrived around 7:30 (I think) for the 10:00 keynote. The line was over a block long, but I still got a decent seat.

One of our other members I met up with later got there around 4:30 AM and was within the first dozen people in line.

Again, WWDC is run differently than MWSF...everybody gets into the keynote at WWDC (except those on student passes, who got shuffled off to an overflow room this year).

jrbsman
Dec 13, 2007, 03:22 PM
I've just booked everything and am getting really excited about coming and seeing Steve on stage, seeing all the vendors, and seeing SF.

I would be up for the get together in whatever form it may take.

Tousiger
Dec 14, 2007, 07:46 AM
I attended the WWDC keynote in June (so the setup is a bit different), but I arrived around 7:30 (I think) for the 10:00 keynote. The line was over a block long, but I still got a decent seat.

One of our other members I met up with later got there around 4:30 AM and was within the first dozen people in line.

Again, WWDC is run differently than MWSF...everybody gets into the keynote at WWDC (except those on student passes, who got shuffled off to an overflow room this year).

So who is coming with me wait in line outside of Moscone at 3AM?... :rolleyes:

minik
Dec 14, 2007, 12:56 PM
So I just bought the "Educator Academy" conference pass last night, it mentioned something about keynote and only $99.

WildCowboy
Dec 14, 2007, 01:51 PM
So I just bought the "Educator Academy" conference pass last night, it mentioned something about keynote and only $99.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that it's referring to the Educator Academy keynote with John Couch, VP of Education at Apple...not Steve Jobs. You could contact the MacWorld folks and ask though.

This page (http://www.macworldexpo.com/conference_program/keynote) lists the types of passes eligible for entrance into the main keynote.

minik
Dec 14, 2007, 01:56 PM
I may be mistaken, but I believe that it's referring to the Educator Academy keynote with John Couch, VP of Education at Apple...not Steve Jobs. You could contact the MacWorld folks and ask though.

This page (http://www.macworldexpo.com/conference_program/keynote) lists the types of passes eligible for entrance into the main keynote.

It's confusing to me as well. They didn't put up the Educator Academy pass until recently. It does listed under "Conference Program" and the Steve Jobs' keynote is "open to all registered conference attendees".

I should email them.

nielsen
Dec 16, 2007, 03:11 PM
Hey there
I just booked a flight from Copenhagen (Denmark) to SF:D
I still can't believe I'm going to MACWORLD - This is crazy!!!!
I'll be in SF for a week and would love to see you fellow mac-guys

Mac 13
Dec 16, 2007, 05:25 PM
Hey there
I just booked a flight from Copenhagen (Denmark) to SF:D
I still can't believe I'm going to MACWORLD - This is crazy!!!!
I'll be in SF for a week and would love to see you fellow mac-guys
WoW and I was complaining about the drive to San Francisco from Los Angeles,Ca lol. :D

kainjow
Dec 17, 2007, 12:30 AM

Don't remind me of that :( - my first time there and I get shoved to the side. Apple's brilliant though and knows that even if they treat us like dirt, we'll still keep coming back to them. Reminds me of a woman with an abusing husband ;)

El Carbonite
Dec 17, 2007, 07:32 PM
I bought a user's conference pass myself on the 14th - probably getting in line around 5AM or so - the hotel I'm staying at is only a block or two away.

Can't wait until January 15th. I've only been to a keynote once and that was in a crappy overflow room in 2005.

Bambeezer
Dec 17, 2007, 09:08 PM
I bought a user's conference pass myself on the 14th - probably getting in line around 5AM or so - the hotel I'm staying at is only a block or two away.

Can't wait until January 15th. I've only been to a keynote once and that was in a crappy overflow room in 2005.

My company bought me a Super pass with priority keynote seating. Does that mean I still need to wait in a line early?

This will be my first Macworld. :D

sonofpismo
Dec 20, 2007, 04:52 AM
My company bought me a Super pass with priority keynote seating. Does that mean I still need to wait in a line early?

This will be my first Macworld. :D

We are too disgusted (a.k.a. jealous) to respond. :D

Unfortunately, I do not know. Good for you, though!

Tousiger
Dec 20, 2007, 08:00 AM

Then I'll be with you... Wich hotel are you staying in?

Ha ze
Dec 27, 2007, 12:13 PM
So this is my first keynote/macworld.
I've got a User Pass, so I'm wondering what time should i get in line for the keynote? I see someone saying 5am above, but that's really early! If I have to I will though, any tips??

BigPrince
Dec 27, 2007, 12:17 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=266371&highlight=keynote+line

theBB
Dec 27, 2007, 01:08 PM
I believe there is a Marriott on 4th Street, very close to Mascone Center. It has bar on its roof that has a nice view of the city through its huge windows. It is a bit pricey, but a nice location and it might even have live music.

minik
Dec 27, 2007, 02:13 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=266371&highlight=keynote+line

Good tips there...

I'm staying at the Hilton tho.

Ha ze
Dec 27, 2007, 05:41 PM
I believe there is a Marriott on 4th Street, very close to Mascone Center. It has bar on its roof that has a nice view of the city through its huge windows. It is a bit pricey, but a nice location and it might even have live music.

Thats where I'm staying! Woo!

stiano
Jan 4, 2008, 09:46 AM

My first US MacWorld and Keynote really looking forward to it. Flying over from the UK so I really want to get a good seat So I think I too will be joining the Q at 4am.

gillinator
Jan 5, 2008, 10:37 PM
First Macworld for me! Has a place been decided? A bar or lounge sounds good, just not too noisy.
Gillinator

Tousiger
Jan 6, 2008, 07:33 AM
Heyhey...

Is anyone giving info on where to make the little party, so when at the party we can meet each other to recognize "on the line" very early, and give a time to get there for people getting there early!

Also, do you know if we can bring a big digital camera and lenses ?
Is it permitted?

Thanks all and see ya in SF!

imacgeek
Jan 6, 2008, 11:32 AM
I will be there for sure. The keynote is the soul purpose for my trek to SF. You give me a time and place, I'll be there. They do set up a free wifi in the hall where Steve will give his presentation, right? :apple:world

Dicx
Jan 7, 2008, 12:28 PM
Arn,

You could always try Jillian's where we were for that one evening party last year.

No wifi during keynote, EVDO only.

Serious contenders stand in line before midnight :)

The rest of us, 3am-4am !

Tousiger
Jan 7, 2008, 12:30 PM
Serious contenders stand in line before midnight :)

The rest of us, 3am-4am !

Then i'll be a serious contender!

:D

Ha ze
Jan 7, 2008, 12:36 PM
I definitely paid for a hotel... I'm gonna shoot for 3:30-4:00a

Dicx
Jan 7, 2008, 12:59 PM
Anyone wanting to meetup with some Apple enthusiasts before the Keynote check this out:

http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/270621/

I did it last year and had a good time. Of course Arn cut in line with us around 5am, but he was a celebrity and everything was OK ;)

Ha ze
Jan 7, 2008, 01:09 PM
I'm down for this.
See you (whoever) there at 4am!

chipchen
Jan 8, 2008, 03:09 AM
You guys are all freaking ridiculous, meeting up at 4 AM.

RIDICULOUS!

see you there...

BigJohno
Jan 9, 2008, 11:07 AM
You guys are all freaking ridiculous, meeting up at 4 AM.

RIDICULOUS!

see you there...

yeah 4am what! Its not the 360 launch. Well I'll see u guys there at a more normal time.

minik
Jan 9, 2008, 01:15 PM
yeah 4am what! Its not the 360 launch. Well I'll see u guys there at a more normal time.

lol.. I think it's well worth it since it's first come first serve (right?)

arn
Jan 9, 2008, 03:05 PM
Looks like Monday night is a no-go. But Tuesday night is probable.

Will let you know.

arn

Ha ze
Jan 9, 2008, 07:18 PM
lol.. I think it's well worth it since it's first come first serve (right?)

For those of us with a user pass, yes.
Some of the higher up passes had guaranteed seating.

MikeTheC
Jan 9, 2008, 08:19 PM
I'll be there in spirit. I wish I could go this year. Maybe next. We'll see.

May the wind be softly at your back. Stations, please.

</kirk>

nielsen
Jan 10, 2008, 02:37 AM
Can't wait!

janey
Jan 10, 2008, 05:33 AM
Don't remind me of that :( - my first time there and I get shoved to the side. Apple's brilliant though and knows that even if they treat us like dirt, we'll still keep coming back to them. Reminds me of a woman with an abusing husband ;)
Yup that sucked. But it seemed like more than just students lolling around. Were latecoming regular attendees also shuffled off into overflow rooms? But really, I was a bit more ticked about the other student events being shuffled around during the week, instead of on sunday.

On a sidenote, it's depressing to point out that students probably pay more out of their own pockets to go to wwdc than many attendees there expenses payed by their employers and all, excluding indie devs of course. Well, at least it was educational and fun :)

Keynotes, especially the mwsf variety, have lost their charm with me and so I just got a free exhibit hall pass that should kill a couple hours. Hope the MR meetup doesn't coincide with the 5000 other parties and meetups happening during the week. :(

arn
Jan 10, 2008, 05:48 PM
Meet up:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=412145

arn