PDA

View Full Version : Run Music from an External Hardrive...?

fab5freddy
Sep 22, 2007, 04:29 PM
how do i correctly run itunes music off an external drive ..?

(i'd like to store all my music on an external because i don't have room on my laptop )

are there any prefs i have to do for this to run smooth ?

thanks!

Martron
Sep 22, 2007, 07:27 PM
no you dont have to change anything. You may just want to update your Itunes library or else anytime you buy from itunes or import a cd it will save in your old folder. Other than that just plug it in. when you play a song it will say "can't find" and will prompt you to find it but theres an easier way. after youve moved all your songs to the external, delete all the songs on your itunes and then re-add them from the new location, this will be much smoother.

skybolt
Sep 24, 2007, 10:28 AM
First, move your iTunes library to the external. Then go to the Advanced tab and "point" your iTunes to your external drive. Then you can delete from your internal drive and iTunes will now see your music on you external. If you start iTunes without the external being mounted, whatever downloads will go onto your internal. You can move it by using the "Consolidate" button (also under Advanced, I think -- not at the mac right now) with the external mounted, and it will be moved to the external. Then you can delete that as well from the internal. I have my music etc. on an external like this and it works flawlessly!

Step-by-step instructions can be found at the Apple Knowledge Base website.