Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peter.rosel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
Whats the deal... last i hear a few months back Sony have released a laptop with a 32gig flash memory HDD.
http://www.sony.com.au/vaio/article.jsp?id=4013

Someone please contact Steve and tell him to get his arse in to gear and moved foward faster than the opponents, macs are the best **** and i would like to see it to stay that way.
In china they have released 30gig usb keys that can be purchased for as little as $8.00AU, stick ten of them on a card slap it into a PowerBook and BAM 300gig flash memory HDD, with 10x30gig partitions if desired.
If they get rid of their disc HDD's that would most likely fix the poor battery life of the laptops, i hear something of a 70% or so battery life saving (lasting longer) not having to spin the HDD motor.

I might be a little demanding but christ the technology is there STEVE USE IT!

thoughts guys?
opinions?
rumors?

-Peter Rosel

OwlsAndApples

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
UK
Unfortunately USB keys work with far slower data transfer rates than the connectors used for storage drives. SSDs are slowly going down in price and up in capacity, but it'll be a while still till their price per gigabyte is low enough for most customers. (You can still get about 10x as many gigs for the same price if you use HDDs).

But yes, SSDs are looking good. I saw that recently Alienware joined the bandwagon and now includes dual SSD configurations. :)

Ken Wind

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2006
The largest SSD (flash HDD) for notebooks right now is 64GB, and manufacturers are charging a staggering $1000+ for the option. OwlsandApples is right though. We will see these become much more prevalent in notebooks, but not for a while.

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
If they get rid of their disc HDD's that would most likely fix the poor battery life of the laptops, i hear something of a 70% or so battery life saving (lasting longer) not having to spin the HDD motor.

Huh, I don't like being a fanboy, but I think Apple laptops have above-average battery life, referring to it as "poor" is unfair, to say the least.

The other thing about the hard drive consuming 70% of the battery also isn't true. If that was the case, the battery life of a MacBook would go from 4 hours to almost 7 hours with a SSD. In reality, you are probably more likely to get about half an hour more.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
SSDs seems like a good idea, but capacity is what most people want, not expensive low capacity devices. The average consumer wont care because they really have no idea why a SSD would be so much better than a hard drive. You see, we love lots of space to store our movies, music, pictures, etc. The HD could die in the future, but certainly not for a while. IF you want a SSD in your MacBook Pro go buy one and put it in. I was considering a 32 Gb expresscard 34 flash thingy, but really, the question was why? Also, the majority of the battery goes to the screen.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I love the idea of having both a flash drive and a HD in MBPs. A relatively small (8-16GB) for the OS and the most commonly used programs plus a large (120GB+) for audio, video, etc. This would make booting much faster and loading programs faster as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.