Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simssega

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Hi,

I just got a Power Mac g4 from my school and i dont know much about it but it didn't come with an operating system. I bought a full retail version of mac os x and pop the disk in and it will only eject the disk. I tried holding option when its installing but the computer wont recoginize the disk it will only eject it. Any help would be great. Thanks

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The retail OSX comes on a DVD. Your machine only has a CD-ROM (not unusual for an Educational machine to be a low-spec configuration), or perhaps the optical drive is malfunctioning.

But I have run across this once before with a more modern G4 (quicksilver) which refused outright to boot from an OSX DVD, even when I replaced the drive with a known-good DVD drive that boots when installed in another G4. I ended up creating a bootable partition with an installer on a Firewire drive, and updating from that. Google for instructions.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The retail OSX comes on a DVD. Your machine only has a CD-ROM (not unusual for an Educational machine to be a low-spec configuration), or perhaps the optical drive is malfunctioning.
I have to agree. You're more then likely going see CD-RWs only until the Mirror Drive Door models.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
When Tiger came out, we had several Macs at work without DVD drives. I just put Tiger on my iPod and used that. Worked like a charm.

MorzillA

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Miami
So let me get this straight, the school sold you a PMG4 with out an operating system?! did you ask why? As far as security reasons I can understand but if it was a license/app issue they could have been uninstalled and sold you a G4 with OS X!!
My school didn't sell me the G4s due to the fact that they [G4] were bumped down from the college division to the high school division. OK understandable. Even so, when I got this G4 I was more then surprised to see that;

A) It worked with an old PC monitor

B) It not only has Panther but Photoshop, Illustrator CS, Aftereffects, and
Final Cut pro, just to mention a few.

C) And that I can still use MS Entourage and mail, yet I can't receive any mail
:confused:

All in all this has been the best 45 bones I have invested....If all the suggestions have not worked, then take it in the your nearest APPLE store and have it looked at, they can still service these great machines!!

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.