Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

altaprod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
California
I just got the new NANO (4GB) ! Wow, what a cool little device.:cool:

My question is about the clock that appears automatically after 1 minute or so. At this point the screen has gone dark (I assume to save the battery) and when I touch the scroll wheel to brighten the screen so that I can actually see the clock it triggers it to go to the album art of the currently playing album.

Is there some way to wake the screen so that I can actually just see the full screen clock without prompting it to go to the album art of the currently playing album?

Thanks, Ken

ds252

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
You could just put the time in the title which shows up when you haven't touched the click wheel for like 3 seconds so before the light goes out.

altaprod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
California
ds252 thanks but

forgive me but I don't understand what you mean by "time in the title?"

If you could explain that further for a newbie on the "nano?"

Ken
:confused:

altaprod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
California
anyone else have an idea

There must be a way to see this.

Maybe I should explain this better. The screen has a digital clock and a small battery (showing the remaining charge) underneath.

:(

altaprod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
California
photos to illustrate what i want to see

it's hard to see in the photos which obviously is why i'm posting.

Attachments

• 092758 Snapshot 1.jpeg
    092758 Snapshot 1.jpeg
    311.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 092753 Snapshot 2.jpeg
    092753 Snapshot 2.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 39

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Can't you just change the backlight timer? It seems to be the easiest way around your problem, if I'm understanding it correctly.

altaprod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
California
Calboy,
Thanks for resonse. I tried changing the backlight timer but I guess this clock only pops up once the backlight has gone off, and then after approx. 5 seconds. Maybe seeing this clock (with battery) is impossible to view lit up.

Maybe :apple: never intended me to see it lit.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Calboy,
Thanks for resonse. I tried changing the backlight timer but I guess this clock only pops up once the backlight has gone off, and then after approx. 5 seconds. Maybe seeing this clock (with battery) is impossible to view lit up.

Maybe :apple: never intended me to see it lit.

Are you sure it's tied to the backlight timer? On my nano(previous gen), the clock will appear after 2 seconds of my last touch. I can set the backlight timer to be any value, and thus, I can see my clock. Try setting your backlight timer to 10 seconds and make sure the clock doesn't pop up. I don't think it's supposed to be the way you're describing.

altaprod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
California
1 minute

OK I did what you said and set it to 10 seconds. After the screen dimmed, it took 1 minute for the clock to show up. As usual if I wake the screen the clock disappears.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
OK I did what you said and set it to 10 seconds. After the screen dimmed, it took 1 minute for the clock to show up. As usual if I wake the screen the clock disappears.

Hmmm...that is very strange. I haven't had the time to play with the new nanos yet, but both of my previous iPods didn't do this. Give me a little time to figure out what's going on.

OK, try this:

Set your backlight timer to OFF. Tell me how long it takes for the clock to appear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.