PDA

View Full Version : How well does email work on the I-Phone

edward-k
Sep 23, 2007, 06:30 AM
About a month ago I upgraded my Verizon blackberry - the Iphone was out but I could not justify the then 600$ price tag...Well tomorrow is my 30 day mark to return my blackberry before I am stuck in the contract for another year (not a bad deal however, 50$ for a 8703e for a 1 year deal thanks to some corporate discounts).

I am very much considering returning the BB and getting an Iphone. The ipod, safari, and photo features are very cool...but email service is critical to me. How well does the email service work on the Iphone? All personal from either Yahoo mail or .MAC, nothing corporate.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or opinions:) Ed

NewMacGirl
Sep 23, 2007, 07:07 AM
I'm interested in this too- how does the iphone stack up against the blackberry for email??

diamond.g
Sep 23, 2007, 07:33 AM
What is an I-Phone? :p

reh
Sep 23, 2007, 07:37 AM
Popular Mechanics has reviews of a bunch of different smart phones (including the blackberry and iPhone) in the October 2007 issue.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/reviews/4220784.html

KittyToy
Sep 23, 2007, 10:01 AM
well the iPhone supports yahho, aol, gmail, but i never owned a blackberry, so i can't say if it works better , but i love it none the less, i get all my mail with no problems!

jt2ga65
Sep 23, 2007, 10:39 AM
I can't compare it to a BB, but it words very well for most of the things people would want to do with email, and even allows for the support for multiple email accounts. Here's what it does NOT support yet:

1) Sending from different email addresses on the same email account. Most people wouldn't use this feature, but I would, as I do on non-mobile email platform.
2) Searching. Nope, no way to search for that email you are looking for.
3) Sorting. You get the email only in arrived order, even if that is not the way you want to see it, or even if the arrival order is not in chronological order.
4) Copy, Paste, cut. You can't highlight test to delete, and you there are no functions for copy and paste.

So, compared to a computer, the iPhone is pretty featureless, but for most people wouldn't use the features that is lacks.

-jt2

pcorajr
Sep 23, 2007, 10:39 AM
About a month ago I upgraded my Verizon blackberry - the Iphone was out but I could not justify the then 600$ price tag...Well tomorrow is my 30 day mark to return my blackberry before I am stuck in the contract for another year (not a bad deal however, 50$ for a 8703e for a 1 year deal thanks to some corporate discounts).

I am very much considering returning the BB and getting an Iphone. The ipod, safari, and photo features are very cool...but email service is critical to me. How well does the email service work on the Iphone? All personal from either Yahoo mail or .MAC, nothing corporate.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or opinions:) Ed

The Iphone does not support e-mail like the BB does. Are you using your BB on a BES? is so the iphone does not and will never support this. To Be honest both phones cannot be compared. because one is a Business tool while the other is a personal / non professional tool. Now there are many ways that you can work around getting your work e-mail onto your iphone.

1. Forward a copy of every e-mail you receive to a account that you can set up on a iphone. This works well if you are not planning on replying to e-mails but just to read.

2. Some corporate e-mail solutions offer a web interface that you can use to check your e-mail over edge of wifi.

I am a BB user and i love e-mail on the BB but im saving up money to buy a iphone. I have no choice but to try and work with the options available for the time being. If corporate e-mail is a must for you then the iphone is not the device you would want to switch to .

Chaszmyr
Sep 23, 2007, 10:42 AM
So long as the email you want to use is supported by the iPhone you will find that it works flawlessly. I am extremely pleased with my iPhone's email capabilities.

Canuck4
Sep 23, 2007, 10:49 AM
Email works fine, its not instant push like BB's but its pretty quick.
If you cant wait 5-10 to receive emails and you need them the second they're send out then it might be a prob to you.

one1
Sep 23, 2007, 10:52 AM
I cannot find any spam filters to use on my mailbox of my iphone.

jt2ga65
Sep 23, 2007, 10:54 AM
I cannot find any spam filters to use on my mailbox of my iphone.

My mail host has plenty of spam control with it, so I don't have this problem. It's not a commercial email hosting service like yahoo, though. I have not bothered to try the commercial email hosting options, though.

-jt2

VoodooDaddy
Sep 23, 2007, 11:14 AM
I can compare to the Blackberry because I was a BB user prior to the iPhone. If you are looking for email service like the BB, and getting your emails quickly is of major importance to you, dont even consider the iPhone.

MobyIck
Sep 23, 2007, 12:37 PM
Just with a friend last night that has both a bb and Iphone. He hates the iPhone for email and only carries his bb now. Big issue is the lack of bcc and no way to delete multiple emails. I have no probe with mail but I'm not a business user and filter my spam through my gmail account

Mike

I can compare to the Blackberry because I was a BB user prior to the iPhone. If you are looking for email service like the BB, and getting your emails quickly is of major importance to you, dont even consider the iPhone.

one1
Sep 23, 2007, 12:55 PM
My mail host has plenty of spam control with it, so I don't have this problem. It's not a commercial email hosting service like yahoo, though. I have not bothered to try the commercial email hosting options, though.

-jt2

I use the junk filter in my mac laptops to control spam. I have a "real" email addy from my isp.