PDA

View Full Version : Best possible headphones for $50

Bowlerguy10
Sep 23, 2007, 09:17 AM
I'm thinking this is the right forum for this as I couldn't find another better fitting forum. I'm open to all suggestions. I am asking for my first real set of headphones for christmas. With this new found love of music I might as well do it right and get myself a great pair of headphones. So what can I get for $50 or under? Or maybe a little more. I have been told that the Sennheiser PX 100s are yummy. After reading reviews and opinions it would seem this is true. Can anyone object to a pair of these or redirect me toward a better pair for comparable price? Thanks.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Sep 23, 2007, 09:23 AM
Koss PortaPro (http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Headphones-with-Case/dp/B00001P4ZH/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-1792275-1483857?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1190557201&sr=8-1)** is well within your budget, and the best light weight headsets I've ever had. Nice sound*** with amazing bass sound, for such small speakers and good build quality with a limited lifetime guarantee.

** Probably possible to get at a better price, but Amazon is just so convenient... ;)

*** Note that I'm in no way an audiophile, and most my music is ripped in aac@128

j/k/Andy
Sep 23, 2007, 10:42 AM
here's a link for $50 Shure E2c's - http://dealmac.com/deals/Shure-E2-c-Sound-Isolating-Earphones-for-50/187301.html at Music123.com, but I think there on back order

Bowlerguy10
Sep 23, 2007, 11:00 AM
here's a link for $50 Shure E2c's - http://dealmac.com/deals/Shure-E2-c-Sound-Isolating-Earphones-for-50/187301.html at Music123.com, but I think there on back order

Looks good. Can you personally recommend these?

SactoGuy18
Sep 23, 2007, 12:32 PM
Looks good. Can you personally recommend these?

No. I've tried the E2c's and their lack of bass and extended treble are turnoffs for me. I prefer the even cheaper Creative Labs EP-630--at least you have bass and treble that can be heard.

fredsherbet
Sep 23, 2007, 02:10 PM
i just got the shure e2c's when our rabbit bit through the wire on my Sennheiser CX300s, so it was a good excuse to go for what i expected to be an upgrade... but so far i'm not sure it was an upgrade. I wish my CX300s still worked so i could do a more direct comparison, but i've not found the e2cs to be as comfortable (though i hope to get used to it, and they are both deep ear type) and the sound doesn't seem as 'clear'. I often listen with just one ear in, which was fine with the cx300s, but the e2c's seem to suffer... i wonder if the physical distance between the speaker and the ear is a factor, but i don't know much about it.

Anyway... in ear earphones are so so ace. Once you get used to the feeling you'll have no regrets :) (imo)

sonictonic
Sep 23, 2007, 03:00 PM
I just recently bought a brand new in the pacage pair of Sennheiser CX300's after all this talk about how much the stock iPod headphones suck, and boy did I get a deal. $20 including shipping, and when I first put them in I was blown away at the clarity, and once I figured out that you need to really lodge these things in your ear, the bass response then is incredible too. Even at little volume, they sound AWESOME. I just have to get used to the feeling of my ears plugged like that. But again, the sound is great and I feel like I stole these things for just $20 I was willing to gamble, and it paid off very well.

Search around eBay for a good seller, and you might score like I did! :)

fredsherbet
Sep 23, 2007, 03:39 PM
sonictonic speaks the truth :) once you've tried in ear earphones like the sennheisers you'll wonder how you managed with the stupid earphones that come with mp3 players :P

Bowlerguy10
Sep 23, 2007, 03:45 PM
sonictonic speaks the truth :) once you've tried in ear earphones like the sennheisers you'll wonder how you managed with the stupid earphones that come with mp3 players :P

So should I get the Shures or the Sennheisers?