Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the turning of the seasons, Apple has delayed its promised "Summer 2007" delivery of Final Cut Server.

Apple has updated its website to not specify a release date. Multiple reports (some anonymous) to MacRumors claims a delay of several weeks is in order, and one claims that the release could be pushed back as far as January 2008.

Final Cut Server is a media asset management software package that provides tight integration with Final Cut Studio. It was announced at last year's NAB, and is based off of Apple's acquisition of Proximity's Artbox assets.

Article Link

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
I'd rather Apple push back release and get a more polished/bug fixed app out the door than meet an arbitrary marketing-imposed deadline and have significant performance issues on release *cough* iPod Classic *cough*.

This is a market Apple really needs to seal up; a botched product roll out would sour a lot of the decision makers, no matter how quickly the product is patched up (unless you are Microsoft, of course).

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
I'd rather Apple push back release and get a more polished/bug fixed app out the door than meet an arbitrary marketing-imposed deadline and have significant performance issues on release *cough* iPod Classic *cough*.

This is a market Apple really needs to seal up; a botched product roll out would sour a lot of the decision makers, no matter how quickly the product is patched up (unless you are Microsoft, of course).

No rumors as to why the delay? Apple had a significant performance issue with FCP in earlier times after they bought it from MM, only recently has it become more stable. I wonder how much longer Apple will be able to support FCS on PPC, and if the dual Intel/PPC compatibility will slow them up in the future. It's much less work to support FCP rather than a suite of integrated products all to work on both PPC & Intel systems, when most of those products you (Apple) bought from other companies rather than done the entire coding thing from ground up. Throw into the equation Linux compatibility of some of the higher end product lines, like future integration or new name for Shake. More than a few programming teams at Apple must be burning the midnight oil these days.

djkirsten

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2006
FCS vs Avid

I've worked on Avid's Unity and ISIS systems for years now and this would be the only comparable alternate. If its not working PERFECTLY when it releases that could be the difference of millions of dollars to post production companies. I know that if people knew that the Final Cut Server worked more solidly than these Avid systems they would chose FCS over Avid (yes that is still an issue in places).

Im glad they are taking time to make it a great product and it has the possibility of beating out these Avid systems.

I just wanna see it running on a pc. :)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Being a software solution FC server is more comparable w/Avid's Interplay that it is w/Unity or ISIS though. What is your experience w/ISIS, BTW? I've seen the brochures and heard the sales pitches, but I don't know anyone who has any hands on experience w/it.

Lethal

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
We have the ISIS at our school. There are a number of glitches and it does go down sometimes. Also, the way some of Avid's apps (such as Pro Tools) work, you can't use media off the ISIS directly, forcing you to import it onto your local drive before you can work with it. Overall my impression of it is that "it works". I would prefer a more solid system, one which plays in better with industry standard storage such as the Facilis, and it would be nice if Avid actually designed their apps to take full advantage of the ISIS. But in the end, it does what it's supposed to.

irmongoose

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
We have the ISIS at our school. There are a number of glitches and it does go down sometimes. Also, the way some of Avid's apps (such as Pro Tools) work, you can't use media off the ISIS directly, forcing you to import it onto your local drive before you can work with it. Overall my impression of it is that "it works". I would prefer a more solid system, one which plays in better with industry standard storage such as the Facilis, and it would be nice if Avid actually designed their apps to take full advantage of the ISIS. But in the end, it does what it's supposed to.

irmongoose

So it feels like a v1.0 product has a lot of potential?

Lethal

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Potential? Yes. But the probability of it going anywhere further is low. From what I have seen, it is definitely an issue with how the hardware is just designed, allowing only one buffer computer that translates all requests into something, say, the Facilis can understand. The lack of direct interoperability with Linux systems (which we use for datacine), also undermines the problem. Unless they really up the manpower of those working on the ISIS and start changing things on a hardware level, I think we're staying where we're at.

irmongoose

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.