PDA

View Full Version : New iPods not built for running

macrat
Aug 23, 2003, 01:05 AM
Just found out to my disgust that my new 15G iPod cannot be used for running. I bought it for my forthcoming Marathon training runs. It quits after 20 minutes. Also found out at the Apple discussion forums that this has been an old issue. For all you runners out there, beware. Don't make the same expensive mistake I did, if you intend to use the iPod for running.

Gymnut
Aug 23, 2003, 01:21 AM
Huh, really. Thought the ipod had a buffer. It skips or won't play when jostled? Maybe strapping it to your arm when running will alleviate some of the shocks and jolts it receives when otherwise placed on your hip.

Rower_CPU
Aug 23, 2003, 01:25 AM
Is it the battery dying, or the 20-min anti-skip buffer running out? In either case, it's weird.

BTW, where in HI are you guys from?
<-- Used to live in Hilo :)

bidge
Aug 23, 2003, 01:34 AM
I don't know what you must do when you run, but I can run fine with my iPod. I carry it in my hand, don't take the case....

the only problem I had was the headphones sometimes bouncing out of my ears but I solved that by putting the cable down my shirt. The only reason I ever go for a run is because of my iPod. Running to music is soooo much more motivating than without.

Tell us more about your problem, what sort of music are you listening to because I can definitely run fine and have been since my first generation iPod, and this is my third...

idea_hamster
Aug 23, 2003, 01:37 AM
...or is it just that you run like Phoebe from Friends? ;)

In all seriousness, I think you should take the time to ask the folks at the genius bar (I'm assuming you're on Oahu). No reason to suffer if it's something they can fix.

rainman::|:|
Aug 23, 2003, 01:40 AM
there is a 20-minute memory buffer, much better than the minute or two of skip-protection that other devices offer... only thing better is solid state, but that's a *lot* more expensive per meg (they're cheaper but have substancially less memory). Most people are able to use their iPods in a variety of physical settings with no problems. I think you're being unusually hard on the iPod somehow, my partner jogs for hours with no problem... are you holding it, or clipping it to your waist, or putting it in your pocket (bad idea)? remember, the less vibrations, the better, and having the thing slapping against your body is not a good idea...

pnw

macrat
Aug 23, 2003, 04:20 AM
I had mine in the pouch that was part of the 15G package. My running speed is only at 11 min./mile, not even close to hard running at all. Looks like it's probably ok as long as you don't go past the 20- minute anti skip buffer. Holding it in my hands will surely do the trick to minimize the vibration but it's not a good option for my long runs. I am too clumsy to have something in my hands for an extended time period.

Oh well, I will just keep it for its awesome music and good looks. Got everybody at my Realty office in awe when I pulled it out to synch with my Powerbook 17 as they were all cleaning up their email boxes with thousands of messages from the email worm!

chewbaccapits
Aug 23, 2003, 04:50 AM
I jog with the NEW 3G iPod...And seriously, I have no problems.....I do hold it with my hand, so it can work if you give up a little convience...My 2.

CmdrLaForge
Aug 23, 2003, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by macrat
Just found out to my disgust that my new 15G iPod cannot be used for running. I bought it for my forthcoming Marathon training runs. It quits after 20 minutes. Also found out at the Apple discussion forums that this has been an old issue. For all you runners out there, beware. Don't make the same expensive mistake I did, if you intend to use the iPod for running.

I started a thread about this topic some weeks ago. I wanted to buy an iPod for running as well. But after the replys (you can find here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33955

I decided not to get one. I am in training for my next marathon as well. If you are running more than 2h-3h its for me not an option to hold the iPod in my hand. I need to drink a lot during running and need my hands to be free. Instead I bought an Creative muvo which is compared by the Specs and what it can by far not comparable with the iPod. But the most important thing for me was that I can use it while running. And therefore it works perfect.

Cheers

iwantanewmac
Aug 23, 2003, 06:56 AM
I also run quite a bit. 3/4 times a week 10KM or more. ANd I found the ipod completely unusable. It skips or stops playing. I don't hold in my hand. I can't concentrate on running if I have something in my hand the whole time that I DON'T wanna drop. I just put it inside my running pants. And that doesn't work.
Maybe an arm strap or waist strap does work?

junior
Aug 23, 2003, 07:53 AM
I think this is supposed to be pretty good. Seems suitable to a lot of people's needs.

http://speckproducts.com/isport/index.html

Macmaniac
Aug 23, 2003, 09:06 AM
That looks like the perfect solution for long runs with the iPod. It looks pretty good too.

iwantanewmac
Aug 23, 2003, 09:10 AM
haha.
sorry but I can't take that too serious.
If you are running a bit. like 2 miles every week, maybe it's suitable but I can't believe it's very comfortable if you are really into serious sporting.
it's bulky.
lol. especially the part in discription: easy storage for credit cards and id.
like I need that when I go running. but ok...

Kwyjibo
Aug 23, 2003, 09:22 AM
don't you take an ID with tho....

LethalWolfe
Aug 23, 2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by iwantanewmac
Maybe an arm strap or waist strap does work?

I was thinking an arm strap might work sense it would help the iPod move w/yer body and not bounce against it.

Lethal

Marble
Aug 23, 2003, 01:00 PM
That belt strap looks awful, but I am sure that there are alternatives out there. Look for an arm strap, eh?

iwantanewmac
Aug 23, 2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
don't you take an ID with tho....

Nope.
I carry my drivers license in my wallet, but I dont have that with me all the time.
I don't see why.

I'll look for an armstrap for my ipod.

etoiles
Aug 23, 2003, 04:16 PM
Nope.
I carry my drivers license in my wallet, but I dont have that with me all the time.
I don't see why.

It is a good thing to always carry some sort of ID... what if you get into an accident/somebody finds you unconcious ?

iwantanewmac
Aug 23, 2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by etoiles
It is a good thing to always carry some sort of ID... what if you get into an accident/somebody finds you unconcious ?

I just hope they carry me too a hospital :)

I know it's sometimes better too carry it with you. But I refuse too identify myself each time the police tell you too.

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 23, 2003, 04:28 PM
etoiles is right. You should carry a photo ID with you at all times when you are out running, particularly if you go running in wilderness areas (including state and national parks) or if you run alongside streets. If a car hits you or you get attacked by an animal or something, that ID is the only way that emergency services can contact your family, pull up your medical history, get your insurance information, and so on.

If you don't have any pockets, tuck your ID into your shoe or something. It's REALLY important.

iwantanewmac
Aug 23, 2003, 05:00 PM
ah c'mon it's not THAT important.
Some people get so freaked out over what MIGHT happen to them.
Don't overreact.

Well I'm off to bed.
(without my ID)

And back to topic :)

Still haven't found a good arm-strap.

crazedbytheheat
Aug 23, 2003, 05:54 PM
I also bought an iPod (20GB) with the dream of long runs with lots of cool music (Tool and Korn make you run faster). I had a Rio and it only stored an hour of music and you had to reload for every run if you wanted to change the tunes. Unfortunately I've found that the iPod locks up when runnning. I keep it clipped to my waist. I've had this happen when running on the road as well as on a treadmill. I haven't tried the arm band. Maybe less jarring?

As for ID, I personally recommend the RoadID (http://www.RoadID.com). You can have your name, address, and contact number. According to an Active.com article (http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=9883) approximately 400,000 athletes are taken to the hospital EACH YEAR unconsious and unidentified. It's not quite as rare as a lot of people think.

NOTE: I have no affiliation with RoadID other than as a customer.

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 23, 2003, 06:38 PM
ah c'mon it's not THAT important.
Don't overreact.

How bad do you really think it will be to carry an ID? Sure, it might not happen to you, but it's not a huge deal to carry ID with you and if something DOES happen, you're that much better off for it.

etoiles
Aug 23, 2003, 06:46 PM
here is another idea (no pun intended):
Just have your name engraved on your ipod...once you figure out how to keep it from skipping...and make sure it is attached to whatever bodypart you are least likely to lose in an accident :D

AmbitiousLemon
Aug 23, 2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by crazedbytheheat
I also bought an iPod (20GB) with the dream of long runs with lots of cool music (Tool and Korn make you run faster). I had a Rio and it only stored an hour of music and you had to reload for every run if you wanted to change the tunes. Unfortunately I've found that the iPod locks up when runnning.

This is the same thing that happens to me. I was out for a long run and after about 20 minutes it locked up (like frozen). Wouldn't play, wouldnt respond to any button pushing. Display was stuck showing it as partway through a song. I stopped for a few minutes thinking the ipod had overheated or something (I had been holding it in my hand, so I didn't think it was something related to jostling). It felt cool to the touch. I continued to run with it for another couple hours (had to carry the whole damn thing since I wasnt going to turn back). When I got home I plugged it in to the wall (still frozen) and when I came back after a few hours it was finally working again.

Thats the only time I tried to run with it. I like my hands free and it seems to big and bulky to carry any other way. I gave it a shot and it quit pretty quickly.

plutnicki
Aug 23, 2003, 08:22 PM
I haven't seen anyone recommend an armband yet, but I'd recommend the Marware Sportsuit case. You can find it in a lot of different places. It's a pretty flexible case.

I've used my 1 and 3G iPods on my arm for a lot of different types of exercise and have never experienced skipping.

Good luck

Anna
Aug 24, 2003, 05:03 AM
I have had exactly the same problem...I found that all you have to do is restart it (Menu, Pause/play and the middle button) and keep going

Giaguara
Aug 24, 2003, 09:07 AM
a friend had first the 5G model (1st gen). he sold it as it did skip like in 20 minutes after starting to run. but now so does the 15 G so nothing has changed.

meddevice
Aug 24, 2003, 12:05 PM
1 star review
"Cons: -Skips -Poor Apple Support"

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPR-Apple_iPod_10GB_MAC_PC_M8976LL_A~RD-105768324740

"I am a marathon runner, and I run about and move like anyone who uses portable devices! 14 to 16 minutes into my first run with my new iPod, the device began to skip. I had to stop my run and reboot the device. 14 to 16 minutes later, the device began to skip again and froze up completely. Frustrated, I called the Apple store, and they suggested I trouble shoot the device on Apple.com and download the new OS that had just been released that week. After doing so and 14-16 minutes into my next run, the iPod skipped and froze (it also skipped while I sat on a stationary bike in the gym). "

meddevice
Aug 24, 2003, 12:07 PM
ipod not designed for Runners

http://www.epinions.com/content_47158496900/show_~allcom

"ipod not designed for Runners ( I have gone through 3 different Ipod's in 2 months. Although I love the ease of using the ipod, the great sound, and the ease of downloading the music. The ipod was not designed for people who run. I could run with the ipod on a treadmill (when the ipod was sitting on the console) however, when I run outside the ipod freezes up constantly. I have tried using the arm strap that is sold to accompany the ipod and that does not help. The people at the Apple store told me that it was not necessarily designed for people who run and that it is for an active lifestyle, (but if you can't run outdoors with it, what can you do?)"

iwantanewmac
Aug 24, 2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by meddevice
ipod not designed for Runners

http://www.epinions.com/content_47158496900/show_~allcom

"ipod not designed for Runners ( I have gone through 3 different Ipod's in 2 months. Although I love the ease of using the ipod, the great sound, and the ease of downloading the music. The ipod was not designed for people who run. I could run with the ipod on a treadmill (when the ipod was sitting on the console) however, when I run outside the ipod freezes up constantly. I have tried using the arm strap that is sold to accompany the ipod and that does not help. The people at the Apple store told me that it was not necessarily designed for people who run and that it is for an active lifestyle, (but if you can't run outdoors with it, what can you do?)"

Try mountainbiking :)

don't try swimming with it though.

meddevice
Aug 24, 2003, 04:05 PM

I have been mountain biking all summer but I am getting back to running this fall. Hope to do another marathon or 1/2 marathon this fall or winter.

I find that running is better than mountain biking for kicking your (A$$) and keeping you in shape.

It is just boring to run 25-35 miles a week. The iPod could have been a good solution for that.

Over the last 25 years I have tried CD players Walkmans, and MP3 players. The MP3 player was the only device that has not had issues while running. But the time was limited and you had to reload songs.

snoopy050
Oct 25, 2003, 07:16 PM
I too have been very disappointed with my 3rd gen 30G iPod. I bought it to train for a half marathon. It locked up multiple times while holding it in my hand while jogging. Sometimes it allowed me to reboot but usually before the end of a 3 mile run it would lock up completely. Apple sent me a second one, and it too had the same problem. I find it interesting that some people do not have the locking problem. Finally, Apple did concede and sent me a full refund. I have since purchased a Sony MD (minidisk) player and am sorely disappointed. It's going back to the store next week.

insidedanshead
Oct 25, 2003, 07:41 PM
I just hope they carry me too a hospital :)

I know it's sometimes better too carry it with you. But I refuse too identify myself each time the police tell you too.

umm i dunno bout you guys but in michigan once you hit 16 its the law that you must have an ID on you at all times ..(could be 18 too..) either way.. not a smart move to not carry an ID.

PyroTurtle
Oct 25, 2003, 08:02 PM
hmmm, i just tooke the normal case that came with my 20GB iPod (the old fat one!), put some elastic on it, strapped it on my arm, and started running one day....
i train for marathons, outdoors next to the beach, in the city, on a treadmill...i've experianced no such problems...
the only song that ever kinda skipped was like a 30 minute techno song...all my other songs are fine and the iPod doens't freeze...so i'm kinda perplexed, but oh well, maybe i got lucky

manitoubalck
Oct 26, 2003, 04:43 AM
Go the Creative nomad

It's $90USD cheaper for an extra 20GB capasity (www.pricwatch.com vs www.appe.com)

Rower_CPU
Oct 26, 2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by manitoubalck
Go the Creative nomad

It's $90USD cheaper for an extra 20GB capasity (www.pricwatch.com vs www.appe.com)

And you'll have the same exact problem, in addition to the extra bulk and weight. Riiiight.

iwantanewmac
Oct 26, 2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
And you'll have the same exact problem, in addition to the extra bulk and weight. Riiiight.

Not to mention the worthless interface and the horrible looks.

And I couldn't really understand www.appe.com :)

Giaguara
Oct 26, 2003, 01:30 PM
my friend runs and he complained about the 5g ipod jumping ... the same problem with 15 g. so, run for 20 mins ... walk untill it sets itself ok, then run another 20 mins ..

etoiles
Oct 26, 2003, 03:27 PM
so here is a stupid question: what are the odds of the harddrive being damaged when it skips ? I mean, I can live with reseting my iPod every 20minutes, but if the skips are due to the HD head jumping around, then that can't really be good for the device, right ?
Or do I worry too much ?

jtown
Oct 26, 2003, 04:00 PM
Having used computers for nearly 20 years, I guess I have a different take on this subject but I'm shocked that I haven't seen a string of replys pointing out the obvious problem here.

The ipod uses a hard drive. Hard drives aren't meant to be bumped around, shaken, jolted, etc. Not when they're turned off and certainly not when they're being used.

Surely there are some old-timers here who remember portable cassette players. Remember how much more you paid for players that could play consistantly while you ran? Why did you pay so much? Because the regular players couldn't keep a steady speed on the tape mechanism when the unit was getting tossed around.

Hard drives also have spinning parts that must spin at a constant speed to work properly. Not only does the media spin but the part of the machine that reads the data from the spinning media (think of it as the head of the tape player) also moves back and forth very fast and in very tiny increments and it's controlled by mangetic force, not a mechanical system. Shake it around and the platter speed of the hard drives goes out of spec and the heads get knocked out of place. Hit it hard enough and the heads can actually touch the platters.

In effect, carring a hard drive is quite similar to carrying a record player. I know it's not really that delicate but that's what a hard drive looks like if you open it up. When you're running, you alter the speed of the platters and knock the heads all over the place. The fact that the units aren't totally destroyed shows that they're pretty robust but this just isn't a design that can work properly in that environment.

If you want a music player that can handle the bumps and jolts of running, you can't have moving parts. Period. There's no getting around that. You can strap it to part of your body that doesn't move as much (arm, waist, etc.) but the bumps and jolts will eventually cause the device to fail prematurely. If you want a player that can play hours of music and last for years, get one that takes a CompactFlash card and get one of the 1 gig or 2 gig cards (NOT a MicroDrive!!!). There are quite a few players out there now that take SD/MMC cards but those cards are more expensive and aren't available in the gig+ sizes.

rhpenguin
Oct 28, 2003, 12:49 AM
I dont run, but i am incredibly broke so bought a solidstate MP3 player from D-Link for $20 and it uses securedigital memory. So i have a 512 card and that works well enough. Just encode at a lower level.

fatrb38
Feb 10, 2005, 01:26 AM
I never tried running with my 4th Generation 40gb iPod until I got an armband for it. Unfortunately, even when I go for a run with my ipod attached to my armband (which is on my upper bicept), the iPod always freezes within 20 minutes of running.
Even worse, the other day I was running on a treadmill with the iPod on the panel and I guess the machine must not absorb my running well enough because it froze again after about 20-25 minutes.
Even worse than worse, I attached the armband to my calf and ran an extension cord thingy to my waste that attaches to the earphones (obviously in my ears) and was just WALKING at a normal pace from the gym to my dorm room and it froze.

Can anyone remind me how to reset the thing? Otherwise it seems I have to just wait for the iPod to run out of battery (which can take hours).

iPod is definitely not any good for running in any way, shape, or form.

carpet
Feb 10, 2005, 01:34 AM
Get the ipod shuffle. Its flash based and wont skip.

Lacero
Feb 10, 2005, 01:41 AM
You can solve the problem of iPods skipping simply by not running.

Mav451
Feb 10, 2005, 01:49 AM
I see the iPod as more of a "gym" music player, rather than a marathon/outdoor player. You can use it while you lift, use the bike/treadmill (store it in the attached bin), etc.

Running just seems WAY too intense for any kind of hard drive to handle.

sandman42
Feb 10, 2005, 01:52 AM

You mean like the police demanding to see your ID? Is this something you frequently have happen to you, or something that just MIGHT happen?

annk
Feb 10, 2005, 01:59 AM
You can solve the problem of iPods skipping simply by not running.

:D

But seriously - I know someone who found that an armband solved the skipping problem while running. But the issue of harddrive damage got me thinking. I use my iPod a LOT while walking. Just how much movement is bad for the harddisc? Sometimes I keep the iPod in my front jacket pocket, which means almost no serious movement at all. Other times, it's in the the pocket of my bag, which moves more or less constantly while I'm walking.

I realise this is nothing compared to serious exercise, but I want to keep my iPod working for many years...

Platform
Feb 10, 2005, 08:18 AM
Well to any runner's who have no tought that "Ohh no now i won't an iPod"
Buy the iPod Shuffel it is flash based so there will be no skipping or troubble with bumb from running :p

wordmunger
Feb 10, 2005, 08:31 AM
Well to any runner's who have no tought that "Ohh no now i won't an iPod"
Buy the iPod Shuffel it is flash based so there will be no skipping or troubble with bumb from running :p

Check the date on the posts in this thread. It's an ancient thread! No iPod shuffle back then.

wwooden
Feb 10, 2005, 08:53 AM
Here's a question. What bit rate do you have your songs in? Are they 160KBps MP3? 128kpbs AAC? LoseLess?. This can have a huge affect on the performance of your iPod. If you rip them at very high bit rates, then it can only store a few songs in the buffer and then has to try and get more while you are running. Just my thought.

Le Big Mac
Feb 10, 2005, 08:58 AM
How bad do you really think it will be to carry an ID? Sure, it might not happen to you, but it's not a huge deal to carry ID with you and if something DOES happen, you're that much better off for it.

Or just write the info on a piece of paper and tuck it away. I bicycle, and rather than pull the driver's license out of my wallet, I just wrote emergency contact info on a slip of paper and stuck in my saddle pouch.

mad jew
Feb 10, 2005, 09:19 AM
I've got a 4G 40gig which I filled with music (30gig) and backup files (7gig) so it was pretty chockers (200MB left). I'd do a regular double 2.5km jog which was pretty bouncy (I'm actually a sprinter, not a jogger) and it'd skip after about 10 minutes. I cut back on some of the files on it so that there's more free space now an it doesn't skip at all, even when I do some hardcore sprinting at the end (very bouncy). Is the buffer a proportion of the free hard drive space?

Butler Trumpet
Feb 10, 2005, 06:55 PM
Its got to be a buffer problem. Mine is 1G and it works fine for running so yours should too. Is yours still under warranty, or is there an Apple store near you? I suggest having it looked at. However, with my pas experiences... when you need it to do its problem that it does for someone, it works great, which is kinda annoying.

But yeah, sounds like a buffer issue to me.

OutThere
Feb 10, 2005, 10:09 PM

I mountain biked with my 3G iPod all summer - a couple hours a day, ~4 days a week, usually rather fast (>15mph). I think it skipped once (maybe). If you want to really run without bulk or skip, get a flash mp3 player. (I recommend the iPod Shuffle).

Edit: WTF? This thread is ancient! Haha.

ColoJohnBoy
Feb 13, 2005, 03:03 PM
I run for 45 minutes (about six miles) every day with Pedro, the Green iPod mini; not once have I encountered a skip or anything like that. He wokrs flawlessly. I'm not talking about light jogging either; I usually run at 8 or 9 mph. Perhaps this only exists on iPods pre-mini-era?

iGary
Feb 13, 2005, 03:28 PM
I ran 9 marathons and about 5,000 training miles with my 15GB iPod - you should try the Extreme Mac armband, and if that fails, try running with it in your hand.

If that fails, get the iPod shuffle - it's a joy to run with.

crazedbytheheat
Feb 13, 2005, 03:29 PM
I run for 45 minutes (about six miles) every day with Pedro, the Green iPod mini; not once have I encountered a skip or anything like that. He wokrs flawlessly. I'm not talking about light jogging either; I usually run at 8 or 9 mph. Perhaps this only exists on iPods pre-mini-era?

Hmmm, about 6 miles in 45 minutes. I'm guessing slightly less than 8. :-) Seriously though, I used to have my iPod lock up when running, particularly doing intervals. I was extremely happy when the shuffle came out. Plus it's so light that I just carry it in my hand and flip sound up and down as determined by my environment and how kick a$$ the song is.

Jovian9
Feb 13, 2005, 04:00 PM
Get an armband. I have the 40GB iPod Photo and a Blue Mini....I have armbands for both. I typically run for around 3 hours (12 minute/mile). I have no problems, no skipping, and no freeze-ups. If you have it on your hip its going to bounce a lot, on your arm it will not move very much. I ride my bike, go hiking, and play basketball and tennis with an iPod on with no problems.

crazedbytheheat
Feb 13, 2005, 04:13 PM
Get an armband. I have the 40GB iPod Photo and a Blue Mini....I have armbands for both. I typically run for around 3 hours (12 minute/mile). I have no problems, no skipping, and no freeze-ups. If you have it on your hip its going to bounce a lot, on your arm it will not move very much. I ride my bike, go hiking, and play basketball and tennis with an iPod on with no problems.

Yeah, the bouncing is what I didn't really like, even when it didn't lock up. Being on the armband makes a lot of sense. What do you do with the headphone cable? On my arm it seemed to never be in a good place?

Just as a side note, I see a lot of people who say they use their iPod when biking? Do you ride on the road? Almost all my riding is on the road and I don't think I'd feel very safe. However, long rides do get a bit boring, so some tunes would be pretty nice. I saw a guy in a triathlon once who had speakers attached to his handlebars. :-)) Guess if you're not going to win, you might as well have fun. I never did find out if that docked him for illegal equipment. I think cycling with an iPod would make an interesting poll.

gwuMACaddict
Feb 14, 2005, 08:50 AM

what in the world kind of running do you do?! i've used a 1st gen, 2nd gen, and 3rd gen while running and have NEVER EVER had it skip or quit on me... i used my 3rd gen while training for the marine corps marathon and still use it now. i do at least 40miles a week now, no problems...

:confused: :confused:

Diatribe
Feb 14, 2005, 08:57 AM
I mountain biked with my 3G iPod all summer - a couple hours a day, ~4 days a week, usually rather fast (>15mph). I think it skipped once (maybe). If you want to really run without bulk or skip, get a flash mp3 player. (I recommend the iPod Shuffle).

Edit: WTF? This thread is ancient! Haha.

At least you figured it out, not like some other people... :D :p
(I know it's early monday morning gwu, just giving you a hard time :) )

what in the world kind of running do you do?! i've used a 1st gen, 2nd gen, and 3rd gen while running and have NEVER EVER had it skip or quit on me... i used my 3rd gen while training for the marine corps marathon and still use it now. i do at least 40miles a week now, no problems...

:confused: :confused:

gwuMACaddict
Feb 14, 2005, 08:59 AM
oh...

sheesh...

[/beating dead horse]

:rolleyes:

SDLSteve
Feb 15, 2005, 08:46 PM
I read the whole thread yesterday and I was intrigued. I personally have had four different ipods 1 1st G, 2 3rd G, and currently 1 4th G. I also have a recently acquired an Ipod Mini and here are my 2 cents. I have never had any luck running with my first 4 Ipods. It freezes up somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd mile (around the 20 minute mark). However, I have been able to run with it attached to a baby jogger with no problems as well as bike with it. My first few times with the mini has been successful but I haven't had a long run yet with it ( I got it last week). My running is usually around 7-7:30 pace and I have found it very uncomfortable to run while holding the ipod in my hand. In September I bought a Rio Forge for the upcoming marathon season and it has worked perfectly. I can't wait till I get my shuffle to try it out. The benefit to the Forge vs. Ipod is the weight. So whenever I get my shuffle (I ordered it the first day it came out), I will let you know.

bellis1
Feb 15, 2005, 09:27 PM
What kind of frame do you guys have? I never have had any problems with my iPod and iRan a marathon. Although I carried it in my hand which is such an annoyance. If you are running about 5-6 hour marathons won't the 1Gig shuffle work? I just got one and it weighs almost nothing. And I doubt you are running and fishing for songs at the same time. I hope to move back to Hawaii in about 6 months, I've been gone now for about 6 years. Enjoy the marathon!

tubbyty
Jun 16, 2006, 02:06 PM
these postings BEFORE I purchased my 4th gen 20GB IPOD. The sole purpose for buying the thing was to keep me company on long runs. After getting tired of the little song variety on my portable cd player (and the large size as well) I decided to plunk down some change ($400 or so) and get the 20GB. All I can say is that it works great, as long as it is not moving. I have tried everything - armband, attached to waist, in backpack, attached to front of backpack, in hand - and yet it still freezes on me multiple times every time I go running. I am not just talking about a temporary freeze either, I have to reboot the device. Every once in a while it won't reboot for some reason, and I have to wait until the battery runs out. That is extremely annoying. Since some of you don't seem to have problems with it freezing (you must be skinny twigs or something, or run REALLY slow) I decided to buy the extended protection plan thing and I sent it back in. Of course, they sent the exact same IPOD right back to me, complete with all of the same problems (i.e. they didn't do a dang thing).

All I can say is that my CD player NEVER skipped this much, and it was far less of a hassle. I think my IPOD just became an expensive paper weight and I am going down to purchase a $20 cd player that can play MP3s.

meddevice
Jun 16, 2006, 02:59 PM
I got the nano iPod a while ago.
Running with it is easy and it being all solid state I have
had no issues with having it crash due to vibrations.

The smaller size also makes it easier to carry with on
long runs...

U2Rules!
Jun 16, 2006, 03:39 PM
I use my nano at the gym all the time with no problem.

Johnny Rico
Jun 16, 2006, 05:16 PM
Hard drives don't like being tossed around

and this thread is three years old.

ezekielrage_99
Jun 16, 2006, 08:57 PM
Just found out to my disgust that my new 15G iPod cannot be used for running. I bought it for my forthcoming Marathon training runs. It quits after 20 minutes.

Buy an iPod Shuffle that is what they are there for.

But 20 minutes anti-shock is better than my 60 seconds anti-shock on my old Sony Discman.......

zap2
Jun 16, 2006, 09:07 PM
Buy an iPod Shuffle that is what they are there for.

But 20 minutes anti-shock is better than my 60 seconds anti-shock on my old Sony Discman.......

You know this thread is year plus years old right?

As for the person who brought this thread back to life, 1) should start your own thread or its possible your just starting trouble, as its your only post, however i don't now, also the fact you claimed to pay 400 for a 4G iPod, i think it fake, or your just plain stupid 2) why did you buy a 4G iPod(at 400 dollars noless, unless this is a fake as i bet it is 3) You should look at shuffle/nanos as they use flash drive, which means no skipping, or try some arm bands(if this is a true complaint , not just attack on iPods

bowens
Jun 20, 2006, 09:57 AM
Get a shuffle. Flash memory, it will not skip.

Nye553
Jun 26, 2006, 06:46 PM
no problems with the 3rd gen ipod I had while running

Cristina26
Sep 4, 2006, 08:37 PM
Same thing has been happening to me constantly. I'll go for a run with my 15GB iPod and within seconds of running it will freeze or skip. Battery is fully charged, and Ipod is reset and it still happens every frickin time. Does anybody know if the ipod mini does the same thing? If it does, can anyone recommend a good mp3 for running long distances with no skipping? :confused:

biker98
Oct 10, 2006, 11:10 PM
If your that worried about ID just take a sharpie and write your name on your body somewhere esily visable if clothing removed like stomach or just write it in your shoes. Or how about on your ipod or mp3 player?

Oh and just find on that says flash memory. they don`t skip.

bousozoku
Oct 10, 2006, 11:39 PM
Same thing has been happening to me constantly. I'll go for a run with my 15GB iPod and within seconds of running it will freeze or skip. Battery is fully charged, and Ipod is reset and it still happens every frickin time. Does anybody know if the ipod mini does the same thing? If it does, can anyone recommend a good mp3 for running long distances with no skipping? :confused:

The mini is more susceptible to hard drive problems than the full size iPod.

The shuffle is probably the best choice, but the nano is also a good idea, though I doubt you'll outrun 240 songs.

tubbyty:

Great thread resurrection.

freebooter
Oct 11, 2006, 12:29 AM
I have been running up and down the local mountains (between 1.5 and 3 hour runs) with iPods for about 2 years and with no problems.
I always carry lots of fluid and a camera so I have a fanny pack. I have a water bottle in both hands (and in the heat of the summer, two bottles on the fanny pack as well), the camera goes inside the pack, and an iPod on top.
I started with the mini (great buffer) and switched to the Nano (no worries with buffer or skipping). I now have the new Nano for greater capacity and its amazingly longer battery life. I also have the 60 GB video iPod but its cost and spinning hard drive makes it inappropriate for hard exercise. That new shuffle looks ideal for exercise. I might get one just 'cause they are so cute.

milo
Oct 11, 2006, 10:00 AM
Nano and shuffle are definitely better choices for running or similar bumpy exercise than the full iPod.

sushi
Oct 11, 2006, 10:09 AM
Nano and shuffle are definitely better choices for running or similar bumpy exercise than the full iPod.
Yep.

Both are lighter, smaller and use flash memory. :D

AmbitiousLemon
Oct 11, 2006, 10:35 AM

true but neither existed when this thread was started.

phuong
Oct 11, 2006, 10:51 AM
hey, it's now almost 2007. are the new 30GB and 80GB compatible with running persons yet?

milo
Oct 11, 2006, 11:15 AM
hey, it's now almost 2007. are the new 30GB and 80GB compatible with running persons yet?

I wouldn't recommend it.

sushi
Oct 12, 2006, 08:44 AM
Personally, I would not. But you can.

Jovian9
Oct 12, 2006, 09:32 AM
I wouldn't recommend it.

Why not? I personally have ran with every iPod I have ever owned (and none were flash based):

1G 5GB, 2G 10GB, 2G 20GB, 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 40GB iPod Photo, 60GB iPod Photo, 1G Blue iPod Mini, 2G Blue iPod Mini, 5G 60GB iPod video. Currently I run/exercise with my 60GB 5G iPod video. My wife also uses hers during running (30GB iPod video).

I run ALL the time.....EVERYDAY. I run in at least one marathon per year (with my iPod during all training and the event). I play basketball with it and ride my mountain bike with it. My wife and I have recently began playing tennis while using our iPods.

You have to understand that these are hard drive based MP3 players and cannot possibly be shaken all the time. Buy a sleeve/case that fits on your arm and holds the iPod and you will have ZERO problems.....like me. At this point I'd recommend never running without an iPod....that would be difficult for me :)

milo
Oct 12, 2006, 02:46 PM
Because hard drives aren't intended to handle constant jostling. If yours have had no problems, that's great.

But I still wouldn't recommend a HD model, a flash based model is a safer bet.