PDA

View Full Version : iTune Download locked? MP4

rdaly
Sep 23, 2007, 02:50 PM
I finally downloaded my first iTune song. I needed something to go with a slide show I was doing in iPhoto for my wife. I purchased the song, downloaded it, got it to work with iPhoto slide show but I can't burn the slide show to iDVD with that song, it seems to be protected. When I pull the song out of iTunes on my desktop it says the song name.mp4 and the icon says MPEG4 and has a little lock on the top left hand side. Is there a way I can get around this and use the song and burn it on my DVD slide show? I tried a program called "Switch" to convert it from MP4 to MP3 but when I try to play it nothing is being played that I can hear? Any suggestions? Thanks!

kuebby
Sep 23, 2007, 02:56 PM
iTunes uses DRM called FairPlay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairPlay)

Kardashian
Sep 23, 2007, 03:00 PM
iTunes, like all legal download services, uses DRM. DRM stops music, video, or any other form of media content from being played on any computer/device not "authorised'' to play it.

This stops piracy, and people buying a song and passing it around songs.

A way around this is to either,

1) Pay more on iTunes Plus, for songs that don't have DRM on them.
2. Burn the track(s) to a CD, and re-import them to iTunes. This removes any DRM software on the track.

fredsherbet
Sep 23, 2007, 03:34 PM
there are more elegant solutions than burning it to cd and re-ripping it. There are programs that can remove the DRM (Data Rights Management) if you have the license for the song (i.e. you bought it and can play it on your computer) I'm sure Google will have the answers... i've only bought one DRM track and not needed to remove the DRM yet, but seen the software out there on the net :)