Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

espndeportes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
So here is the situation.

My wife has a 1 ghz ibook G4. The other day, her computer started to have kernel panics. Before it would happen, there would be a Mac OS X error message when she booted up the computer....what exactly it was I am not sure.

Anyways, so I ran the apple hardware test and everything passed. I had already backed up all of her data, so I decided to do a clean install of OS X.4.

So I go ahead and start the install. It goes through the first disc, but before it even asks me for the 2nd disc to install, it says it needs to restart. So I hit restart, and now the computer is not responding, with the startup disc stuck in the drive.

If I press and hold the power button, the fan will turn on and it will make the startup sound, but nothing comes on the screen. It will eventually just shut off. It also will not start in target disc mode. If I press the power button long enough, it will make some sort of whistling sound and the sleep button will flash rapidly for a few seconds, but nothing happens.

What can I do?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Sounds like a Logic Board failure to me. Your best bet is to talk to Apple about it, but there's not much they can do other than replace the logic board. :(

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, I had a titanium PowerBook do exactly the same thing to me over the last week...

espndeportes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Ugh, I re-installed it and was working fine.

Then I got another kernel panic.

Ideas?

thetacoman

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2007
Connecticut
iBooks have historically had logic board issues... On the G3s, Apple has a repair program, but many G4s have exhibited issues as well... Go get your notebook checked out.

Drile

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
Do you have a way to check out the ram (swap it out to test it)?

If not, sounds like it is time to bring it in like everyone else said.

espndeportes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Yeah, I think I might have it checked out.

My wife also had dropped it about 4 months back onto blacktop, so it got a little scuffed up. It didn't have any problems until a few days ago though....so I dunno.

I hope its not the logic board.....

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Could be a bad HDD, could be bad RAM. Those are what you should hope for, as everything else is hardware and improbable to fix, at least without help from Apple...

Try removing extra RAM and the Airport card, then booting from the Install disc and running disc utility. See what the SMART status is, and run the disc repair (not permissions).

Also, when installing OSX, run disc utility and repair permissions at each stage (after initial install, then after each software update). Sounds silly, but it can sometimes be the culprit. But my guess would be that the HDD is failing.

sbluetruck

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Wisconsin der hey
just hope it isn't the built in RAM and the added.
wow, that would be so weird.

run apps--> utilities --> disk utility and verify the disk to check and see that there are not problems with the hard drive.

if reseting the PRAM helped, it could still possibly be bad RAM.

if you start noticing other problems not related to those pieces of hardware, it's my bet you've got a dead logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.