Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tidytrev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
hi, iv recently bought a core 2 duo 1.83 mac mini and wanting to get into computer art.
my main interests would be vector art, photo editing and some freehand sketching/doodling.
iv been looking at the wacom bamboo as a starter tablet and was going to trial a few programs like adobe illistrator and photoshop.
could anybody give me a little advise on what would be good for someone like me testing the water?

MorzillA

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Miami
Basically what you are asking about is both Photoshop and Illustrator, There are other vector/pixel based art programs out there but the only two that come to mind are Adobe and Corel.
I have adobe CS now it's like CS3?! As far as testing the waters I would suggest getting a trail version of adobe or corel, you will be limited as to what the full potential of these two major companies can do but for starters I think it's way to get your feet wet and see what they have to offer.
There are online manuals that deal with if not the basics of illustrator and photoshop look through these and also look into forums, such as this one, to see if there are any tips you can pick up as well as asking questions, if you don't ask you will never know!
If imaging editing seems to be what you really like doing then look and compare products, see which one gives you more BANG for your pesos and buy them.
Oh and lastly, play with them, I have learned so much about Adobe illustrator by my self it's like cooking! easy!
Good luck and don't fprget to showcase your art work!!

:apple:

tsd

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
Pennsylvania
Also, think about what future you see yourself living out. If you want to go professional at some point (making money regularly), then without a doubt, buy a Creative Suite package, along with a video training DVD from Total Training or Lynda.com for Illustrator, and maybe for Photoshop too. Another great training option is the Visual Quickstart series from Peachpit press if you prefer books to videos.

If you aren't sure if you want to go pro at some point, you could go with the Corel products, or even go free with open source products, like Gimp.

Adobe Photshop Elements will get you in the door with some tasty prosumer level photo editing, and it won't break the bank.

I've never been real big on using trial/demo software, because if I don't commit to something, I won't enjoy it, and I won't really learn it.

MorzillA

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Miami
Also, think about what future you see yourself living out. If you want to go professional at some point (making money regularly), then without a doubt, buy a Creative Suite package, along with a video training DVD from Total Training or Lynda.com for Illustrator, and maybe for Photoshop too. Another great training option is the Visual Quickstart series from Peachpit press if you prefer books to videos.

If you aren't sure if you want to go pro at some point, you could go with the Corel products, or even go free with open source products, like Gimp.

Adobe Photshop Elements will get you in the door with some tasty prosumer level photo editing, and it won't break the bank.

I've never been real big on using trial/demo software, because if I don't commit to something, I won't enjoy it, and I won't really learn it.

I'm impressed not only by your site but your body of work as well!!!

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.