Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tragedies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Hey everyone,

This problem has been bugging me for some time, as it's been going on for a few months.

Whenever I listen to my iPod Nano (2nd Generation) and decide to turn it off, most of the time it will simply turn off.

However sometimes, and this seems to be happening alot lately, the iPod will ignore me holding the Play/Pause button and the back light turns off, with the screen still on as if I never touched the iPod.

I then press a few buttons, turn on and off the hold switch and after like 50 seconds of doing nothing or pressing random buttons the iPod turns off when I press the Play button.

To summarise, my iPod Nano 2nd Gen has been refusing to turn off alot lately. I'm not sure if I have the warranty, let alone if it hasn't expired. What should I do?

EDIT: I took off my iSkin Nano Case (which contains a Silicon cover with a plastic shell over the front, not including click wheel which is simply covered by silicon only) and the problem seems to have dissapeared. I don't know if this is the full cause of this problem, but if it is, should I leave my Nano without a case? Will ti get harmed?

macpluslaptop

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
My 5g ipod wouldn't turn off either - just drained the battery. I took it to an Apple Genius and he did a software reset, which seemed to solve the problem. If you search the Apple discussion site you'll see lots of threads on this shutoff issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.