Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AllenPSU

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
USA
Backup 1.0?

I am assuming that Backup 1.x is the .mac product. If so does that product allow you to back up to non iDisk media?

Also is it any good?

bcsimac

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
Bolivar, TN
I am not very impressed with Backup right now

I was happy with Backup right up to 1.2.1. Apple then decided after that to release versions that only work with Apple built-in drives. 1.2.2 and 1.2.3 have been totally useless and I won't install them on my iMac. Apple is not being very considerate when you figure that many older iMacs, PowerBooks, iBooks, G4 Cubes, G4 towers don't have CDRW drives or DVD-R/CDRW SuperDrives built-in. Let us not forget that they were still selling iBooks and eMacs with CD-ROM drives....not CDRW or DVD-R/CDRW SuperDrives built-in. Many of these Macs either came with CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drives. Combo drives didn't come to be standard for awhile and neither did just CDRW drives being built-in. As far as I am concerned, I see it as Apple only offering Backup services to the new Mac buyers and totally leaving current Mac users with systems that might be only a year or so old in the cold.......and I am not happy about that. I am sticking with 1.2.1 because at least it works with my system. I have a Rev. B iMac that I have put a lot of investment into....like 256 MB of memory, a 13.6 GB HD, like USB CDRW, and etc. I had thought about getting a G4 upgrade or Sonnet Tech's Harmoni and maybe a MCE 16X or 24X CDRW drive to replace the internal drive and I have wanted to upgrade to 30 GB for a while. I don't have the resources to just get a new system especially since must of the investments have been made in the last year or so. I hope Apple gets it together and starts to allow CD burning with 3rd party drives again...it works with iPhoto, and etc....no reason for Backup not to work too.

GregGomer

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Ditto to that, Backup if it could recognize more file types that you can quickly schedule to backup, and most importantly back up to a Fire Wire Hard Drive or Burner, it would be a much better and much more usable app.

Greg

xjohn

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Beijing
I just really don't understand why Backup won't back up to an external HD. It seems like such a basic feature! So easy to implement, I would think.

Does anyone know of a reason why Backup doesn't provide this feature?

JoeRadar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2003
Re: Backup 1.0?

Originally posted by AllenPSU
does that product allow you to back up to non iDisk media?

Also is it any good?

Yes. I backup weekly to DVD-R disks.

Is it any good? I am not sure.

I fear Apple has headed down the Microsoft path: prematurely release a crappy initial version (tied to Apple products) and get the bugs out over time. I do like the relatively simplicity, however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.