PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks to give away free iTunes songs

MacRumors
Sep 24, 2007, 07:20 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

In preparation with its broader iTunes store partnership with Starbucks (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/05/apple-announces-starbucks-partnership/), Starbucks has announced (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070924/ap_on_hi_te/starbucks_itunes;_ylt=Ahq8_ktC7wInlOXNq3AC3eGs0NUE) that from October 2nd to November 7th, stores will hand out "Song of the Day" cards that can be redeemed on the iTunes store for a selected song of 37 artists featured on Starbucks Hear Music label, including Joss Stone, Dave Matthews, John Mayer, Annie Lennox and Band of Horses. The first song will be Bob Dylan's "Joker Man."

Starbucks also will offer a limited-edition reloadable purchasing card that includes two free iTunes downloads when customers register their cards online.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/24/starbucks-to-give-away-free-itunes-songs/)

p0intblank
Sep 24, 2007, 07:25 AM
Cool! You gotta love promotions. :)

puuukeey
Sep 24, 2007, 07:30 AM
something tells me I'm not alone when I say that this whole starbucks thing turns me off. disgusts me even.

if there was some sort of "location button" rather than a "starbucks button" where any commercial outlet, park or , tourist attraction could participate I would be totally down. but having starbucks exclusively pop up on my ipod would be like well.... HAVING THE STAR BUCKS LOGO POP UP ON MY IPOD!

twoodcc
Sep 24, 2007, 07:31 AM
Cool! You gotta love promotions. :)

Yes you do. I dont drink coffee, but you might find me in starbucks more often

abrooks
Sep 24, 2007, 07:41 AM
It should also be noted that they mentioned in the press release that the iTunes Store will be accessible from an iPhone, iPod touch and laptops running iTunes, for free. :)

rosalindavenue
Sep 24, 2007, 07:43 AM
I didn't realize that Dylan is a "Hear Music" label person. I wonder if this is the studio "Jokerman" (from infidels with Mark Knopfler on guitar) or another version? Its hard to imagine that Columbia (Dylan's label for 95% of his career) would throw "Infidels" tracks to Starbucks; although I guess the decline of the recording business will lead to all kids of odd stuff.

GeekLawyer
Sep 24, 2007, 07:45 AM
It should also be noted that they mentioned in the press release that the iTunes Store will be accessible from an iPhone, iPod touch and laptops running iTunes, for free. :)

The only way this would appeal to me is if the whole internet was available to Apple customers at Starbucks, and not just the iTunes store. I can't stomach the thought of giving TMobile money just to surf the web on my iPhone while I enjoy my Machiato. :p

bytethese
Sep 24, 2007, 08:03 AM
So in order to take advantage of these free downloads on the iPhone, I'm guessing we'll see 1.1.1 firmware by weeks end? :)

Porchland
Sep 24, 2007, 08:07 AM
I've never understood reloadable store cards. Doesn't it wind up sitting in your wallet right next to your check card? What's the point?

reubs
Sep 24, 2007, 08:07 AM
I hope this is indeed ALL Starbucks b/c I go to one about once a week to work on stuff here in town. I've been meaning to get a gift card to really control that spending, so that sounds good for the free music. Sometimes there is some really good stuff in there, and I'm stuck writing down lyrics so I can look them up when I get home...

Thanks for the news!

JGowan
Sep 24, 2007, 08:14 AM
something tells me I'm not alone when I say that this whole starbucks thing turns me off. disgusts me even.With Starbucks opening 7 NEW STORES A DAY, you, my friend, are in the minority. You might not be "alone" as you say, but how would we know... you don't stipulate what it is that really disgusts you about the company and/or their experience/customer service/product/slogan/decor/logo/mantra, etc.

if there was some sort of "location button" rather than a "starbucks button" where any commercial outlet, park or , tourist attraction could participate I would be totally down. but having starbucks exclusively pop up on my ipod would be like well.... HAVING THE STAR BUCKS LOGO POP UP ON MY IPOD!Hell, I guess it was the logo. :D

princealfie
Sep 24, 2007, 08:22 AM
star bucks is the most evillest! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

FireArse
Sep 24, 2007, 08:25 AM
As per the title I guess.

F

nimbuscloud
Sep 24, 2007, 08:26 AM
something tells me I'm not alone when I say that this whole starbucks thing turns me off. disgusts me even.

if there was some sort of "location button" rather than a "starbucks button" where any commercial outlet, park or , tourist attraction could participate I would be totally down. but having starbucks exclusively pop up on my ipod would be like well.... HAVING THE STAR BUCKS LOGO POP UP ON MY IPOD!

Calm down.

This is the beginning of something big. You'll soon enough have Express, The GAP, and all kinds of places selling songs through the iTunes WiFi Music Store.

Why must people ALWAYS complain just because they have a mouth?

:apple:

Derwood
Sep 24, 2007, 08:32 AM
Whoop-dee-freaking-doop.

elcerrito494
Sep 24, 2007, 08:33 AM
Well I was excited, until...

I read that the Starbucks music thing isn't coming to the Bay Area 'till November 7th, the last day to get the cards.

Arcady
Sep 24, 2007, 08:36 AM
Wow, a free song with your 8 dollar cup of mud. :rolleyes:

carfac
Sep 24, 2007, 08:37 AM

No body else seems to be, so I will back you on this. I do not like their coffee; I think it is horrible. It is generally too hot, and always too acidic. But that is just my feeling about their coffee, and in no way bears on why I detest them.

I do not know why. Perhaps it is because they open 7 stores a day. Perhaps it is because they are even more overpriced than Apple. Perhaps it is their ****** coffee, and I think they are so overrated. Perhaps it is a combination. Whatever it is, I rarely go to a Starbucks. My choice.

kbmb
Sep 24, 2007, 08:37 AM

I'm sure a simple software update could change the button into whatever store they wanted. Maybe the Starbucks rollout is just a test.....just think, soon you could have a WalMart button pop up....or a Home Depot button ;)

-Kevin

khunsanook
Sep 24, 2007, 08:55 AM
With Starbucks opening 7 NEW STORES A DAY, you, my friend, are in the minority. You might not be "alone" as you say, but how would we know... you don't stipulate what it is that really disgusts you about the company and/or their experience/customer service/product/slogan/decor/logo/mantra, etc.

Hell, I guess it was the logo. :D

This pretty much says it all. (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29030) McCoffee. I can't wait for the day when I can get free itunes downloads with my Big Mac!

meh.

iMJustAGuy
Sep 24, 2007, 09:02 AM
Wow, a free song with your 8 dollar cup of mud. :rolleyes:

thats your opinion and we respect that..:cool:

nickbates
Sep 24, 2007, 09:09 AM
This pretty much says it all. (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29030) McCoffee. I can't wait for the day when I can get free itunes downloads with my Big Mac!

meh.

Ok, I hope you realize that wasn't a true story... it's The Onion, it's satire.

:rolleyes:

mrkramer
Sep 24, 2007, 09:13 AM

I read that the Starbucks music thing isn't coming to the Bay Area 'till November 7th, the last day to get the cards.

from reading the linked article it sounded to me like all starbucks would be giving out these cards not just the ones that initially get this service.

Starbucks Corp. plans to give away 50 million free digital songs to customers in all of its domestic coffee houses to promote a new wireless iTunes music service that's about to debut in select markets

Squonk
Sep 24, 2007, 09:16 AM
"stores will hand out"

I wonder if this means no purchase is necessary? :confused:

khunsanook
Sep 24, 2007, 09:17 AM
Ok, I hope you realize that wasn't a true story... it's The Onion, it's a parody.

Of course, and a parody from 1998. The onion, as always, a hilarious decade ahead of the humor train. By now they probably have Starbucks opening in each individual bathroom stall as well :)

mrkramer
Sep 24, 2007, 09:18 AM
"stores will hand out"

It would be nice but I doubt it.

Of course, and a parody from 1998. The onion, as always, a hilarious decade ahead of the humor train. By now they probably have Starbucks opening in each individual bathroom stall as well :)

I hope you also realise that they do not put the real dates that anything is published also.;)

Rychy
Sep 24, 2007, 09:21 AM
I live in the Seattle area... I'll be able to get 20 "Song of the Day" cards daily from my co-workers alone. lol.

mrkramer
Sep 24, 2007, 09:23 AM
I live in the Seattle area... I'll be able to get 20 free song cards daily from my co-workers alone. lol.

And then download the same song 20 times they are all for a specific song unfortunatly.

VoodooDaddy
Sep 24, 2007, 09:24 AM
Yes you do. I dont drink coffee, but you might find me in starbucks more often

You are going to seek out a Starbucks just for a free download card? When I heard about this Starbucks deal I thought "how many people even want that crap music that Starbucks plays?" I guess they found their target audience.

Rychy
Sep 24, 2007, 09:24 AM
And then download the same song 20 times they are all for a specific song unfortunatly.

I know... I'm just saying I absolutely won't have any trouble getting any of the songs. Hope some of them are decent.

j763
Sep 24, 2007, 09:27 AM
Ok, I hope you realize that wasn't a true story... it's The Onion, it's satire.

I don't think anyone could miss that. I don't know why you think anyone did.

I'd also agree with the OP's comments re "Mc" Starbucks. Their coffee is plain awful - especially their espresso-based drinks. Milk is often scolded, reheated, combined with milk from other pitchers, their espresso bean is bitter, etc.etc. It's really bottom-of-the-rung coffee designed for uncultured bloated American suburbanites who don't know better.

iNRepaIR
Sep 24, 2007, 09:39 AM
i suppose it's cool that apple is doing this with starbucks. i mean, i can't complain about being offered more.

but i have to say, and i think it can be agreed upon, compared to the other topics announced during this apple event, this one got the response of...

"oh, well... that's cool, i guess.... can we see the new ipods again?"

when it comes down to it, with the itunes store showing up on iphones and ipod touches, the concept with starbucks seems redundant. although i am welcoming being pleasantly surprised.

swingerofbirch
Sep 24, 2007, 09:39 AM
I don't think anyone could miss that. I don't know why you think anyone did.

I'd also agree with the OP's comments re "Mc" Starbucks. Their coffee is plain awful - especially their espresso-based drinks. Milk is often scolded, reheated, combined with milk from other pitchers, their espresso bean is bitter, etc.etc. It's really bottom-of-the-rung coffee designed for uncultured bloated American suburbanites who don't know better.

It's the funniest thing, I don't like Starbucks coffee, but I do like Starbucks. I agree that the coffee is over-roasted, and the espresso roast seems highly acidic, but it's still a very nice place to go. Maybe if I lived in a metropolitan area and had other choices I wouldn't like Starbucks so much, but in the small town where I live, it's a bit of a beacon of sophistication and respite.

compuguy1088
Sep 24, 2007, 09:40 AM

meh.

May not be true, but I've gotten a free itunes song with buying greeting cards, so its still a possibility.

megfilmworks
Sep 24, 2007, 09:56 AM
I prefer Diet Coke, rarely been to Starbucks except when dragged their by a co worker (maybe 3 or 4 times)

Now with iTunes, ordering will have to be a little different. I'll take a Vente Mocha Macca.

acslater017
Sep 24, 2007, 10:04 AM

"Upon receiving the cards, customers will have until the end of the calendar year to redeem the song" :)

crackermac
Sep 24, 2007, 10:25 AM
Not that I need another excuse to go in, but this is pretty cool. I too wish we could use it as a full wifi spot as opposed to just iTunes, but it'll do.

To the people who hate starbucks because of their price and domination... I don't mind paying the extra money for cup-a-joe since they are able to purchase beans that come from traditionally (shade) grown plantations. They don't use the hybrid beans that most companies do. I prefer keeping the rain forest and paying a couple extra bucks. The fact they are so large helps them purchase a great bean.

mmm, pumpkin spice coffee, here I come.

JonHimself
Sep 24, 2007, 10:38 AM
When I heard about this Starbucks deal I thought "how many people even want that crap music that Starbucks plays?" I guess they found their target audience.

Yes, The Police, Dave Matthews, Feist, Paul McCartney, Maroon 5, James Blunt, and Common are all terribly unsuccesful and have no fans because they're so crappy. You may not like it, but I would say it's a safe bet to think that there would be a good number of people on these boards that like at least one of those bands.

JGowan
Sep 24, 2007, 10:41 AM
This pretty much says it all. (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29030) McCoffee. I can't wait for the day when I can get free itunes downloads with my Big Mac!You do realize this was a parody, right? The Onion tells amusing (yet fake) stories.

Unspeaked
Sep 24, 2007, 10:46 AM
Yes, The Police, Dave Matthews, Feist, Paul McCartney, Maroon 5, James Blunt, and Common are all terribly unsuccesful and have no fans because they're so crappy. You may not like it, but I would say it's a safe bet to think that there would be a good number of people on these boards that like at least one of those bands.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but just wanted to say that level of success, number of fans and degree of talent are all (very) mutually exclusive.

gwangung
Sep 24, 2007, 10:48 AM
Not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but just wanted to say that level of success, number of fans and degree of talent are all (very) mutually exclusive.

Umm....I don't think so.

Check your definitions...

alljunks
Sep 24, 2007, 10:54 AM
only if Starbucks plays better music!!

Naimfan
Sep 24, 2007, 11:01 AM
The only way this would appeal to me is if the whole internet was available to Apple customers at Starbucks, and not just the iTunes store. I can't stomach the thought of giving TMobile money just to surf the web on my iPhone while I enjoy my Machiato. :p

Agreed, but why not just use EDGE? ;)

JGowan
Sep 24, 2007, 11:02 AM
This is truly going to be amazing and will probably be the catalyst that will push Apple to the top of the Music Retail heap. Until, now millions of computer users have gone to Starbucks with their laptops, only to find out that you have to pay to use the Wi-Fi there. Some obviously have pulled their wallets out to pay for that experience. Millions left their laptops home.

Until now.

While they won't be able to surf anywhere else but the iTunes stores FOR FREE, I believe that alone will be enough motivation for people to bring their laptops and their iPhone and iPod Touch to the coffee houses to peruse the store and buy while they're there. There's just something so fun about coffee and downloading music, talking artists and songs with friends. It's gonna be so huge.

drake
Sep 24, 2007, 11:05 AM
I'll be sticking with my boycott, thanks anyway Starbucks.

JonHimself
Sep 24, 2007, 11:13 AM
I'll be sticking with my boycott, thanks anyway Starbucks.
Out of curiosity, why do you boycott Starbucks?

VoodooDaddy
Sep 24, 2007, 11:32 AM

Ive got music on my computer from all but 2 of those bands. Never heard of Feist or Common to be quite honest. I was making a generalization. Yes, they might play songs from well knows artists occasionally, but 99% of the ***** I hear when Im in there I would never want, even for free.

Nastard
Sep 24, 2007, 11:32 AM

Probably because Starbucks is... evil... and corporationy... and all they care about is money... and stuff.

It'll always be cool to try to tear the man down. I used to boycott Starbucks until I asked myself, honestly, why I hated them. The best answer I could come up with was "too successful".

Naimfan
Sep 24, 2007, 11:37 AM
Probably because Starbucks is... evil... and corporationy... and all they care about is money... and stuff.

It'll always be cool to try to tear the man down. I used to boycott Starbucks until I asked myself, honestly, why I hated them. The best answer I could come up with was "too successful".

That's one of the best posts I've seen here--wonderfully open and honest!

roocka
Sep 24, 2007, 11:44 AM
Imagine if you were at a night club and you really liked the song and you could purchase it immediately from i-Tunes. That's what I'm talking about.

-Al

JonHimself
Sep 24, 2007, 11:53 AM
Imagine if you were at a night club and you really liked the song and you could purchase it immediately from i-Tunes. That's what I'm talking about.

-Al

At a nightclub, a Hollister, Abercrombie, the Gap, etc etc.. I suppose the only problem would be if the store had songs that weren't on iTunes

Anonymous Freak
Sep 24, 2007, 12:34 PM

hehe...

I live in Portland, Oregon, where Starbucks are as common as bicycles. (The mall in downtown Portland that has an Apple Store also has two Starbucks. The two Starbucks are on the first and third floors, quite literally one on top of the other. They could pass product back and forth if they had a bank-style vacuum tube running straight up and down.) But local independent coffee shops are also as common as bicycles (there is one corner in downtown Portland that used to have coffee shops on all four corners. TWO of them were owned by Starbucks (one a "Seattle's Best", which Starbucks had bought a few years earlier,) two independent, although ironically, one of the two independents was also bought up by Starbucks, so for a month before Starbucks closed it, Starbucks owned THREE coffee shops on that one corner.) I greatly prefer to go to independent shops whenever possible.

But my aunt used to work for Starbucks headquarters (she ran the call center. I didn't even know they HAD a call center...) So I would often get Starbucks gift cards for my birthday, Christmas, arbor day... Whatever excuse she could find to pawn them off. (This is an aunt that bought my parents a $200 espresso machine not because my parents would use it, but so that it would be there for her use the twice a year she visited them.) Well, my aunt left Starbucks to pursue her own destiny (started her own 'business consulting' company,) and ever since completely shuns Starbucks.

So I basically never go in a Starbucks anymore. Only if I MUST have my coffee fix, and the only shop within walking distance (a rare occurrence in Portland,) is a Starbucks.

eastcoastsurfer
Sep 24, 2007, 12:42 PM

I dislike Starbucks for a few reasons. First the coffee taste like crap. It's way over roasted for the most part, nearly burned. Could be a personal preference though. The people there bug me. I want a double pump, 2 shot, decaf, no fat milk, low fat whip, soy latte...WTF? Just get a cup of coffee already! Third, I like to support localally owned coffee shops. There is a great one near my apartment now, but starbucks have opened a shop on each side of it so that leads me to my last point. They are *everywhere*! I was in an airport the other day and noticed that from where I was standing I could see 3 starbucks.

To clarify, I fully respect starbucks as a company and the way they could take something like coffee, market the hell out of it, and sell it for $3/cup. Absolute genius! You know how people often say Dell isn't a computer company, but a supply chain company. Starbucks isn't a coffee company as much as it is a marketing company.

Anonymous Freak
Sep 24, 2007, 12:51 PM

I dislike them because they are the Borg of coffee shops. See my post above for part of the reason, but the killer for me was when they bought out Portland-local coffee chain Coffee People (yeah, the chain had been owned by some company in California for years, but they kept the feel of the chain the same as when it really was locally owned.) First, Starbucks said they were going to convert all the Coffee People locations into Starbucks, which was going to be bad enough. But then they just outright closed about half the locations.

I don't know why they didn't do with Coffee People what they did with Seattle's Best. All the Seattle's Best locations kept their names.

TurboSC
Sep 24, 2007, 01:17 PM
"stores will hand out"

lol yea right, I'd like to see you walk up to the counter and ask them... it probably prints out with the receipt lol... minimum purchase $5.

sparkyms
Sep 24, 2007, 01:42 PM
While they won't be able to surf anywhere else but the iTunes stores FOR FREE, I believe that alone will be enough motivation for people to bring their laptops and their iPhone and iPod Touch to the coffee houses to peruse the store and buy while they're there. There's just something so fun about coffee and downloading music, talking artists and songs with friends. It's gonna be so huge.

Or they'll continue to leave it at home as the reason they didn't bring them in the first place is because they didn't want to pay to use it. YES the store is free to peruse, but you still have to PAY for the music don't you. Wow, you get one free song when you buy a coffee? GREAT, that's a reason for me to carry my laptop around town with me.

It could also make starbucks a worse place to go, great if you have a touch or iPhone or even a laptop with you to use the store; I can conceed, i DO see the appeal, but, if you don't have such a device its going to be great hearing everyone listen to the bloody music they just bought isn't it. It'll be as bad as apple stores with everyone on their social networking profiles listening to their new profile songs because theyre SOOO COOL.

Forgive me for not being overly enthused by the partnership.

Gaelic1
Sep 24, 2007, 02:06 PM
Isn't that wonderful. All the Dreck that passes for music today should be free since it isn't worth much.I doubt if any of it will be remembered in twenty years. Have at it folks, there's enough for at least a hundred replies.;)

nickbates
Sep 24, 2007, 02:16 PM

That's one of the best posts I've seen here--wonderfully open and honest!

Actually, pretty idiotic. The whole point of business is to make money and grow your business. Show me one company that doesn't care about money and I'll show you a company that's out of business. All of you "anti-corporation" people need to get off your high horse already. :rolleyes:

Yes there are bad corporations out there that do bad things (i.e. Enron) but for the most part, the goal of most small companies is to grow and offer their services or products to a wider audience.

Wow, you get one free song when you buy a coffee? GREAT, that's a reason for me to carry my laptop around town with me.

This is pretty idiotic as well, you don't HAVE to carry a laptop around just to download the one free song... they give you a gift card. :rolleyes:

for the most part, the goal of most small companies is to grow and offer their services or products to a wider audience.

It could also make starbucks a worse place to go, great if you have a touch or iPhone or even a laptop with you to use the store; I can conceed, i DO see the appeal, but, if you don't have such a device its going to be great hearing everyone listen to the bloody music they just bought isn't it. It'll be as bad as apple stores with everyone on their social networking profiles listening to their new profile songs because theyre SOOO COOL.

Forgive me for not being overly enthused by the partnership.

Of all the Starbucks I've been to I've never once "heard" anyone playing music... because everyone uses headphones. Most of the people that go to Starbucks have more respect for their fellow patrons than that, just because YOU may be the type that would blast your music doesn't mean others would (and that's why you are not a Starbucks type of person and that's probably why you are not overly enthused by this, because you feel you don't fit in with that crowd. Just speculating...)

I personally don't like their coffee either, but they offer other things besides coffee and it is convenient. And though I listen to a wide range of music, but mostly experimental and electronic stuff, there have been numerous times I've been waiting in line wondering, "What's that cool song?" and wishing I could just get it. Originally, Starbucks partnered with Hear music (think they still are ) which always offered more alternative music plus everything from Sarah Mclaughlin (she's not crap) to some cool Jazz and Blues, so just because you may not like the music, doesn't mean it's crap.

Sorry for the rant, but some of you constant whiny kids really need to get out more and stop complaining over these little things. obviously there is a reason all of this is being offered; because there is enough people interested in it.

nickbates
Sep 24, 2007, 02:20 PM
Isn't that wonderful. All the Dreck that passes for music today should be free since it isn't worth much.I doubt if any of it will be remembered in twenty years. Have at it folks, there's enough for at least a hundred replies.;)

Really? Yeah I guess jazz greats like Thelonius Monk (currently featured at Starbucks) are crap and won't last 20 years and the fact that Starbucks won Grammy awards for the last Ray Charles album doesn't mean anything...

Nastard
Sep 24, 2007, 02:32 PM
Actually, pretty idiotic. The whole point of business is to make money and grow your business. Show me one company that doesn't care about money and I'll show you a company that's out of business. All of you "anti-corporation" people need to get off your high horse already. :rolleyes:

That was more or less my point.

Westside guy
Sep 24, 2007, 02:53 PM
It's too bad this is going to be limited to old peoples' music.

Yeah, I'm an old guy, but somehow I've managed (so far) to not forget that new music is - gasp! - still being made. I don't yell at kids about being on my lawn either. :D

(I realize Joss Stone is a teenager, but her audience seems to be 30-40 years older than she is)

sparkyms
Sep 24, 2007, 03:44 PM
This is pretty idiotic as well, you don't HAVE to carry a laptop around just to download the one free song... they give you a gift card. :rolleyes:

Of all the Starbucks I've been to I've never once "heard" anyone playing music... because everyone uses headphones. Most of the people that go to Starbucks have more respect for their fellow patrons than that, just because YOU may be the type that would blast your music doesn't mean others would (and that's why you are not a Starbucks type of person and that's probably why you are not overly enthused by this, because you feel you don't fit in with that crowd. Just speculating...)

My initial point, about carrying a laptop, was referring to the post in which I quoted, suggesting that people would take their computers BECAUSE they could 'peruse the wireless iTunes store'.

Second point, maybe you've not heard people as this facility is unavailable yet... I for one however, WANT to listen to music when I get it, which is why, I get it delievered, or, when I buy it, go listen to it in my car right away. Or indeed, if I buy from iTunes, i listen to it just after its downloaded. If I've no desire to listen to a song when I've bought it, I probably don't have a desire to have it at all.

And yeah, perhaps I have voiced my opinions in the wrong thread, as I am talking about the partnership as a whole, rather than just the song of the day cards. And yeah, you're right, I don't feel like I 'fit into the crowd', not enough to sit in a flat-pack-build-in-a-week-shop drinking ***** coffee. And I would have thought Apple wouldn't either, especially considering its former moniker of "Think Different".

offwidafairies
Sep 24, 2007, 05:09 PM
I dont drink coffee, but you might find me in starbucks more often

i hate starbucks. i dont drink caffeine. i will not be supporting american food/drink chains.

BTW
Sep 24, 2007, 05:24 PM
looks like they might also be selling Internet access to Apple customers

http://9to5mac.com/tmobile-starbucks-add-iphone-ipod-access-234545623

That actually would be neat. AT&T maybe should work a deal with T-Mobile to share their respective WiFi networks and then AT&T could give the iPhone users a bonus without an additional fee. Not gonna happen, but it's always nice to dream about getting free add-ons. :)

MacAddict1978
Sep 24, 2007, 05:26 PM
this is very interesting. i manage a starbucks, and we were not even told about the song of the day cards.

the other deal we did know about. load a special starbucks card, get 2 free downloads.

someone mentioned, why prepaid.... if you register it, you get free stuff, free money, etc. protects the balance.

and love starbucks or not, this is a pretty fun promotion!!!!

we even have a bunch of itunes related incentives the month of october

zap2
Sep 24, 2007, 05:26 PM
I don't know why there is so much hate towards Starbucks...I'm all for "hating" the "man"...but it doesn't seem like starbucks is evil...just some people don't like there coffee.

I like their Ice Coffee(I think it has coffee in it, the ones I buy), not to mention ones is near my school. Its a good place to relax and get some work done.

Doctor Q
Sep 24, 2007, 06:28 PM
I don't know why there is so much hate towards Starbucks...I'm all for "hating" the "man"...but it doesn't seem like starbucks is evil...just some people don't like there coffee.If MacRumors keeps getting more and more successful, will it become "the man" too? :eek:

In the Starbucks announcement it saysStarbucks will start selling iTunes digital release cards that allow a full album of music and bonus material to be downloaded online. KT Tunstall's "Drastic Fantastic" and the soundtrack to the film "Into the Wild" ... will be the first two featured albums, retailing for $14.99 and $11.99, respectively.In iTunes, the "Drastic Fantastic" album is $9.99 regular, and $14.99 for the Deluxe version with videos. So what's the advantage of buying a card, and then using it in iTunes, when for the same price you can go to iTunes without the card and download the same album, and also have the choice to skip the videos and save $5?

Is there some convenience involved other than charging your iTune purchases to your coffee budget? Is this just an impulse item with no actual benefit?

Westside guy
Sep 24, 2007, 06:38 PM
In terms of their coffee, Starbucks is in a bit of a no-win situation when it comes to public perception. If the coffee is the same across the thousands of their stores, they've gotten too "corporate" and have "lost their soul". On the other hand if there are differences in coffee between stores, then they're "growing too fast" and "can't maintain quality control". (quoted terms are things I've heard from various people at one time or another)

I miss the days, though, when you walked into a Starbucks and there were giant clear tubes/bins of the various bean varieties. You'd tell the counterperson that you wanted (for instance) a pound of Ethiopia Yergacheffe, which they'd dispense it into the bag. But nowadays most of their business is in drinks, which I rarely buy, and the variety of beans has narrowed significantly. Plus the customer has to find the beans himself/herself. :D

I do like the "Starbucks Roast", as it's called - but I can understand why some people don't like it.

Orng
Sep 25, 2007, 08:04 AM

I don't like Fourbucks because their coffee sucks. Over-roasted, bitter, over-priced. I don't like that people get suckered into buying dessert drinks that are the fat equivalent of a liquid Big Mac.

I also don't like that you have to perform their stupid names for things. I'm not your freakin' monkey! If I ask for a coffee then give me a coffee, don't say, "You mean a plaino stupiccino flambe deluxe". No, I mean a coffee!

I can brew better coffee than Fourbucks, and I can call it coffee, or if I'm out, I can buy better coffee for a dollar.
And I can use the four bucks I saved at the iTunes store. Take that, Steve Jobs! :)

JonHimself
Sep 25, 2007, 04:03 PM
I don't like Fourbucks because their coffee sucks. Over-roasted, bitter, over-priced. I don't like that people get suckered into buying dessert drinks that are the fat equivalent of a liquid Big Mac.

I also don't like that you have to perform their stupid names for things. I'm not your freakin' monkey! If I ask for a coffee then give me a coffee, don't say, "You mean a plaino stupiccino flambe deluxe". No, I mean a coffee!

I can brew better coffee than Fourbucks, and I can call it coffee, or if I'm out, I can buy better coffee for a dollar.
And I can use the four bucks I saved at the iTunes store. Take that, Steve Jobs! :)

So when have you ever asked for a coffee and had the person serving you ask you, "Are you sure you don't want a plaino stpuiccino flambe deluxe?" Am I the only one that thinks the whole making-fun-of-starbucks-because-they-serve-drinks-with-potentially-confusing-names is over-used? At most if you asked for a coffee the person serving you would ask if you wanted a bold or a mild and maybe they'd ask you what size you want...
The coffee also doesn't cost "fourbucks" either. Is that joke over-used as well? Probably.. at least in my opinion it is
Lastly, as for the wording of drinks, would you go into McDonalds and ask for a Whopper? Go into Baskin Robbins and ask for a DQ Blizzard? No, probably not. (Feel free to substitute any applicable locations that you visit if these do not apply) The point is that restaurants, or coffee shops, or stores in general have different names for the same things. Is it so terrible for Starbucks to use differnet names for some products? It's not like they're not spelled out for you on the menu boards or anything...

Maybe I'm taking it a bit over board on this post, but it's just ignorant complaining like yours that is really frustrating.

aapl.jlo
Sep 25, 2007, 05:31 PM
For how much you pay for your coffee, you should be getting free music. I think that Starbucks can afford it. It's just another one of their ploys of getting people in. Then again, if you can afford an iPhone or iPod Touch, you can afford to go to Starbucks for their song of the day.

The question I have is-When are they putting out a David Bowie title for the song of the day-I'll be there downloading it!

Orng
Sep 25, 2007, 09:28 PM
So when have you ever asked for a coffee and had the person serving you ask you, "Are you sure you don't want a plaino stpuiccino flambe deluxe?" Am I the only one that thinks the whole making-fun-of-starbucks-because-they-serve-drinks-with-potentially-confusing-names is over-used? At most if you asked for a coffee the person serving you would ask if you wanted a bold or a mild and maybe they'd ask you what size you want...
The coffee also doesn't cost "fourbucks" either. Is that joke over-used as well? Probably.. at least in my opinion it is
Lastly, as for the wording of drinks, would you go into McDonalds and ask for a Whopper? Go into Baskin Robbins and ask for a DQ Blizzard? No, probably not. (Feel free to substitute any applicable locations that you visit if these do not apply) The point is that restaurants, or coffee shops, or stores in general have different names for the same things. Is it so terrible for Starbucks to use differnet names for some products? It's not like they're not spelled out for you on the menu boards or anything...

Maybe I'm taking it a bit over board on this post, but it's just ignorant complaining like yours that is really frustrating.

I don't make fun of Starbucks, I actively disdain it.

Maybe it's just the Canadian locations, but yeah, four bucks is about right. Give or take, maybe it was 3.80, it was over four after sales tax. I've never been to a US location.

Other restaurants' proprietary names for stuff are generally at least descriptive, or heavily marketed as a signature item. Plus, most of the menu I can look at and say, "Hmmm... hamburger, chicken burger, special proprietary store burger...Yep, I know what all this stuff is" One or two items, not an entire wall of gobbledygook so I have to stand there going "uhhh.. which one is like coffee?" It is needlessly exclusive.

And finally, yes, two separate Starbucks experiences in different cities went something like; "I'd like a large coffee please" "You mean a grande something-or-other" "A large coffee will be fine, thanks."

Plus, the coffee continues to be over-roasted, over-hyped, and over-priced; after unpleasant earlier experiences, I've avoided it all costs except for a couple times when I was with others who insisted

Orng
Sep 25, 2007, 09:34 PM
CAUTION course language

This dude sums up all there is to say about Starbucks (http://youtube.com/watch?v=18ClRW7nDxs)...

killerrobot
Sep 25, 2007, 09:58 PM
"stores will hand out"

Not sure about that no purchase thing, but it would have to be nationwide, not just in Portland or SF.

Keep in mind everyone that this whole itunes/starbucks thing will only be available in 5 areas come the end of 2008.

Oh yeah, and anyone complaining about Starbucks needs to complain about Apple just as much --they did just team up together for christ's sake. And do all of the complainers actually know what they are complaining about? (Some say its too bitter and others too acidic---those are opposites in coffee terms so someone is wrong)

phungy
Sep 25, 2007, 10:04 PM
There's already a SB on campus and they are building another one that is less than 0.20 miles away!! Anyways, let's see if these SBs will honor free iTunes songs :cool:

BJMRamage
Oct 2, 2007, 07:41 AM
I stopped in this morning.
No need to purchase, just grab a bunch on the counter.

I did purchase something but i didn't really have to.

enjoy the Bob Dylan song.

Doctor Q
Oct 2, 2007, 02:00 PM
Instructions on the giveaway cards:To download your free song on iTunes: Download iTunes for Mac or Windows, free of charge, at www.itunes.com.
Open iTunes and click iTunes Store.
Click Redeem.
Enter the code on the card. Your download will start immediately.Code expires December 31, 2007. <--- you don't have to use the code on the day you get it
Other terms:Redeemable only on the iTunes Store for the U.S.
Requires an iTunes account, for which you must be above the age of 13 and in the U.S.
Not for resale.
Limit one card per person per day.
Participating stores only.
While supplies last.
Has anybody run into a Starbucks that isn't participating?

nickbates
Oct 2, 2007, 04:50 PM
Has anybody run into a Starbucks that isn't participating?

Nope, not yet, even the mini Starbucks inside my local Vons Market gave me the Bob Dylan song card today.

Doctor Q
Oct 2, 2007, 05:06 PM
The young lady behind the counter apologized to me that the giveaway today was Bob Dylan. I guess she figured nobody would want music by some over-the-hill old-coot has-been singer from a bygone era. Assuming she had even heard of the guy.

I told her I really didn't mind getting a free Bob Dylan song.

macinthebox-nan
Oct 2, 2007, 05:10 PM
so i guess it is bob dylan at all locations today?

Doctor Q
Oct 2, 2007, 05:17 PM
so i guess it is bob dylan at all locations today?Right. His "Jokerman" is the featured song for today. Somebody else's song will be featured tomorrow.

According to the press release, other artists will include Joss Stone, Dave Matthews, Bebel Gilberto, John Mayer, KT Tunstall, John Legend, Annie Lennox, Joni Mitchell, Keith Urban, Paul McCartney, Sia, Band of Horses, Hilary McRae, Frederico Aubele, and Sara Bareilles.

mrkramer
Oct 2, 2007, 08:29 PM
anyone know what tomorrows free song is, I would like to know if it is worth leaving a little early to get it.

Xenious
Oct 2, 2007, 09:12 PM
Someone might know as my local starbucks said they already have all the cards for the entire promotion there. I suspect they are either labelled packages or they have a list stating which one to put out which day.

BJMRamage
Oct 3, 2007, 06:26 AM
Someone might know as my local starbucks said they already have all the cards for the entire promotion there. I suspect they are either labelled packages or they have a list stating which one to put out which day.

I'd assume, though could be wrong, that t o keep this under wraps and not expose a list, they would have the cards wrapper and the front card would instead have teh date to be displayed, otherwise the songs will easily leak and people may not go in as often.

BJMRamage
Oct 3, 2007, 07:30 AM
Day #2

KT Tunstall "One Day"

twoodcc
Oct 3, 2007, 09:06 AM
Day #2

KT Tunstall "One Day"

i need to remember to go by a SB today at lunch. not that i care for that song, but hey, it's free

zwida
Oct 3, 2007, 12:31 PM
Is there some convenience involved other than charging your iTune purchases to your coffee budget? Is this just an impulse item with no actual benefit?

Right, no actual benefit to the consumer. Perhaps for some there is satisfaction to be gained from buying the large plastic card that Starbucks is selling in place of the physical disc, but there's nothng else to be gained.

That said, plenty of benefit to Apple. People really do seem to be buying music at Starbucks, so the partnership makes good sense to me.

Doctor Q
Oct 3, 2007, 12:34 PM
You can see the featured song each day at Starbuck's Song of the day (http://www.hearmusic.com/#STARBUCKS_|_ITUNES/SONG_OF_THE_DAY) page.

You can see the list of songs, as we learn of them, in our own Starbucks Giveaway list.

Doctor Q
Oct 11, 2007, 04:32 PM
If you have extra Starbucks iTunes codes, you can offer them to other forum members in the Starbucks Song Code Swap thread, which is a thread for offering codes, not for requesting codes. If you want a code, just watch the thread!

Statistical observation: 7 of the first 10 featured Starbucks artists have been women. If they keep up that percentage, 26 of the 37 artists will be women.

Doctor Q
Nov 7, 2007, 02:45 AM
We've reached the last day of the Starbucks/iTunes promotion!