PDA

View Full Version : Panther Sheet Animation

MacRumors
Aug 23, 2003, 02:12 PM
The latest build of Panther has a nice new piece of eyecandy. "Sheets" which have slid out of Window's titlebars previously, now roll down.

arn
Aug 23, 2003, 02:15 PM
http://www.bgmccollum.com/panther/sheets.jpg

from MacNN thread (http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=173376)

richard5mith
Aug 23, 2003, 02:23 PM
Saying they unroll is the wrong term. That implies that they cascade down the page as if unfurling. Or that you can see it rolled up and then unroll.

More accurately, they look like a roller blind would if you pulled the cord to open it out. They come towards the screen a bit, as they came down, and then get pulled flat as they get to their final size.

Hard to explain.

Powerbook G5
Aug 23, 2003, 02:23 PM
Does anyone have a QT of this? It sounds a bit odd...

picklescott
Aug 23, 2003, 02:25 PM
wha??? sheets? do you mean the actually drop down menu?

iJon
Aug 23, 2003, 02:28 PM
hmm, ill have to check this out.

iJon

picklescott
Aug 23, 2003, 02:31 PM
for some reason on the page 2 page it still says add comments? although there are comments posted... the reason i didn't see the image haha!

Freg3000
Aug 23, 2003, 02:36 PM
I love eye candy. :)

dricci
Aug 23, 2003, 02:45 PM
As long as it's a fast effect, I hate having to wait for the current Jaguar sheets, it takes me off my train of thought when I expect to just be able to click a dialog button but instead find myself waiting for an animation to finish.

Freg3000
Aug 23, 2003, 02:48 PM
There is also a new System Preference icon.

DreaminDirector
Aug 23, 2003, 03:00 PM
Well, "sheets" does look quite cool, kinda like it's bubbling out of the screen. I however would have never understood what it was without the image.

I agree with dricci, though. As long as it's fast eye candy, I'll have no problem with it. Kind of like the 'fast user switching" eye candy. If sheets are that fast and that stunning, then by all means I'll welcome it with open arms.

edit: as for the system prefs icon, it just looks like they "pantherized" it. Cool at any rate though....

evolu
Aug 23, 2003, 03:11 PM
another image from that site:

http://www.bgmccollum.com/panther/zip.jpg

OutThere
Aug 23, 2003, 03:12 PM
It looks kinda like its coming out of a fax machine...cool though.

bograt
Aug 23, 2003, 03:39 PM
You sure? It looks just like the current version.

job
Aug 23, 2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by bograt

I think it is more brushed metal versus the current 'graphite plastic' look.

Personally, I don't like the 'sheet' animation. I think Apple's current implementation (drop down) is quite well done and serves its purpose well.

ezkimo
Aug 23, 2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by bograt

Here is a comparison of the 2

-Zach

Elan0204
Aug 23, 2003, 04:22 PM
Here is a link to a movie of the new sheet animation. Someone (sandsl) in the MacNN forums posted it...

New Sheet Animation (http://members.lycos.co.uk/myphpmysqlsite/sheets.mov)

Powerbook G5
Aug 23, 2003, 04:24 PM
I love all the minute touches Apple is doing with such tiny aspects of OS X. A lot of them you don't even notice as they gradually change and evolve the look. Panther just looks more and more exciting with each icon, animation, feature, etc that is updated or polished beyond Jaguar.

ennerseed
Aug 23, 2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Elan0204
Here is a link to a movie of the new sheet animation. Someone in the MacNN forums posted it...

after seeing that, I like the idea "alot" but that looks a little too "floppy".
hmmm floppy sheets...

sandsl
Aug 23, 2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Elan0204
Here is a link to a movie of the new sheet animation. Someone in the MacNN forums posted it...

New Sheet Animation (http://members.lycos.co.uk/myphpmysqlsite/sheets.mov)

That someone was me :D
Unfortunately the capture really doesn't do it justice...its really nice.

Nermal
Aug 23, 2003, 04:54 PM
It certainly looks faster than the sheets in Jaguar. I get sick of waiting for them to slide into view.

crees!
Aug 23, 2003, 04:57 PM
Though I don't have a Mac yet, from what I've seen I think I like the old style sheets alittle better. You don't want to go too over the top and make the interface look like a childrens toy. What would be cool is if they offered the option to choose which type of animation you would like.. say, the old sheet, the "floppy" sheet, or regular popup dialogs. Choice is good.

sandsl
Aug 23, 2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by crees!
Though I don't have a Mac yet, from what I've seen I think I like the old style sheets alittle better. You don't want to go too over the top and make the interface look like a childrens toy. What would be cool is if they offered the option to choose which type of animation you would like.. say, the old sheet, the "floppy" sheet, or regular popup dialogs. Choice is good.

A choice between 'floppy sheets' and 'old sheets' would be nice - but I doubt we'll see it.

There is a reason why sheets are used instead of popup dialogs (sheets are clearly attached to documents, dialogs are not) and therefore we will never be able to choose between sheets or dialogs.

job
Aug 23, 2003, 05:00 PM

I agree completely.

I don't understand why Apple doesn't give users the choice to decide between GUI options. Why can't the new 'brushed metal' system wide GUI be an option? Why can't we choose between the old style sheets and the new ones?

imaswitcheryeah
Aug 23, 2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by ezkimo

-Zach

A lot better. Definately more pleasing on the eye.

sonicsessions
Aug 23, 2003, 05:10 PM
ah, lovely... this means I'll have a new animation method to see a thousand times in a row on the error messages when I try to access a secure site in Safari...

Freg3000
Aug 23, 2003, 05:13 PM
The difference in the System Preference icons reminds me of the Apple logo on the MDD/FW800 Power Mac and the Power Mac G5. The old one was darker and more plastic listening. The new one is definitely more representative of Panther.

syco
Aug 23, 2003, 05:23 PM
Slowing down the movie (thx to the dude who got it for us), you see that the curved sheet rolling *gasp* isn't anti-aliased! OMFG!!! WTF APEL?!1//1/1/11SLASHONE

sparkleytone
Aug 23, 2003, 05:30 PM
i personally like it, and noticed it right away when i was using safari. sheets in general are much better in panther because they animate much faster. sheets are way too slow in jaguar, and make the system feel slower than it is.

yoshi1013
Aug 23, 2003, 06:02 PM
For a second there I was a bit worried Apple would go overboard with the eye candy but from the looks of the animation it's short and sweet. Not like the Longhorn tests that Microsoft was showing the press where windows were all floppy like sheets of cloth.

Mmmm, sleek graphics...

MetallicPenguin
Aug 23, 2003, 06:12 PM
Could someone do a better movie, like at a higher frame rate or something, from the current one it looks to quick, like its just there and then over there. Or is it actually like that?

cb911
Aug 23, 2003, 06:14 PM
sweet!! :D looks good, just like Stong Bad's email! :D

alandail
Aug 23, 2003, 06:35 PM

You would never want the regular popup dialog instead of a sheet - the sheets solve a major user interface problem - in a multi-document application, it can be confusing which document a dialog is for, but with sheets, it's clear.

Take the "save changes before quiting" dialog. You have 3 documents open, two of which you want to save - it's too easy to make a mistake and say no to the wrong one with a popup dialog. At a minimum, it takes some time to match up the dialog with the correct window. Sheets make it very clear which document the dialog is for.

Also, the new animation looks cool. I love it when Apple takes the time to refine little details like this.

crees!
Aug 23, 2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by yoshi1013
For a second there I was a bit worried Apple would go overboard with the eye candy but from the looks of the animation it's short and sweet. Not like the Longhorn tests that Microsoft was showing the press where windows were all floppy like sheets of cloth.

Mmmm, sleek graphics...

Speaking of Longbull(crap) :rolleyes:
http://www.wininformant.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=39908

edit: PS - I've refused to purchase XP. Still running Win98. Crashes like a champ too :D

DreaminDirector
Aug 23, 2003, 06:38 PM
Holy crap! It is Strongbad's email sheet! All we need now is the old dot matrix printer sound effect!

Powerbook G5
Aug 23, 2003, 06:52 PM
Well, I took a look at those "leaked" Longhorn screenshots...did anyone else notice the many spelling errors? You'd think someone at Microsoft would use spellcheck once in a while! :)

sandsl
Aug 23, 2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by syco
Slowing down the movie (thx to the dude who got it for us), you see that the curved sheet rolling *gasp* isn't anti-aliased!
A pleasure and your right - it isn't anti-aliased, but maybe it will be in the final build. This is the first time we've seen this remember, I'm sure it will be improved apon.

BTW, that movie was taken on a Powerbook G4 with Quartz Extreme.

Could someone do a better movie, like at a higher frame rate or something, from the current one it looks to quick, like its just there and then over there. Or is it actually like that?
It really is like that - very fast and almost impossible to capture, I did my best!

Powerbook G5
Aug 23, 2003, 07:18 PM
Well, you definitely cannot complain about the animation being slow anymore :) "Ahh, seizure!"

Adam Betts
Aug 23, 2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by syco
Slowing down the movie (thx to the dude who got it for us), you see that the curved sheet rolling *gasp* isn't anti-aliased! OMFG!!! WTF APEL?!1//1/1/11SLASHONE

Genie Effect isn't anti-aliased too but it doesn't bother me at all.

MetallicPenguin
Aug 23, 2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by sandsl
A pleasure and your right - it isn't anti-aliased, but maybe it will be in the final build. This is the first time we've seen this remember, I'm sure it will be improved apon.

BTW, that movie was taken on a Powerbook G4 with Quartz Extreme.

It really is like that - very fast and almost impossible to capture, I did my best!

Oh man! Oh well I guess it will be refined (plus it probably looks a little bit better in real life)....I wish you could choose between the two -- old or new.

pbrennen
Aug 24, 2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by imaswitcheryeah
A lot better. Definately more pleasing on the eye. i think it reflects the move from the plasticy g4 to the aluminum g5

bograt
Aug 24, 2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by ezkimo

-Zach

Thanks for the side by side view. Haven't made my mind up which I prefer. Wouldn't have noticed the change unless someone pointed it out to me!

achmafooma
Aug 24, 2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Well, I took a look at those "leaked" Longhorn screenshots...did anyone else notice the many spelling errors? You'd think someone at Microsoft would use spellcheck once in a while! :)
:-) I always feel sorry for Windows users. No system-wide spell checker. I hear "I wish there was a spell checker in my browser so I could make sure things are spelled right in web forms" and stuff like that all the time.

If my iBook is around, I pull it out and show them... "something like this, you mean?"

Wows them every time.

I would need to actually SEE the new sheets to decide if I like them or not. These little thoughtful touches though, they make me feel almost as good about my OS as I do when I'm burning a CD and playing music at the same... not only on the same computer but IN THE SAME PROGRAM!

I had trouble burning a CD and clicking a link on a website at the same time on my old Windows machine. If I didn't close EVERYTHING but EasyCD Creator I was bound to have the system go down and trash ANOTHER CD-R.

synthetickittie
Aug 24, 2003, 01:00 PM
what!?!? theres a system wide spell checker? I serious was thinking that would be cool to have in safari after I saw they had in it the newer ichat. Now how do you activate this system wide spell checker?

DreaminDirector
Aug 24, 2003, 01:08 PM
You can highlight any word that you've typed and hold down control when you click it. Or if you have a two button mouse, you can right-click it.

synthetickittie
Aug 24, 2003, 01:19 PM
I guees thats a lot better then nothing but I was hoping for something exactly like in ichat and most other programs that have a good spell checker. Meaning you can type as much as you want and when you spell a word wrong it gets underlined to let you know.

DreaminDirector
Aug 24, 2003, 02:38 PM
Actually you can. When you control click a word, go to the "spelling" menu and make sure "Check spelling as you type" is checked. Then it will check and underline any word you misspell as you type.
(Hence the name). I absolute love that feature.

hope that helped.

crenz
Aug 24, 2003, 03:33 PM
Just wondering... is there a way to legally obtain a Panther Beta? Can I get it as a Web ADC member (ie., the free membership)?

synthetickittie
Aug 24, 2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by DreaminDirector
Actually you can. When you control click a word, go to the "spelling" menu and make sure "Check spelling as you type" is checked. Then it will check and underline any word you misspell as you type.

hope that helped.

thanks, I love this feature even tho its something little its something Im probably not going to be able to live without from now on.

Analog Kid
Aug 24, 2003, 04:16 PM

Choice is nice, consistent look&feel is good, code bloat is bad.

I can't imagine what system preferences would look like if Apple made every new feature/appearance an option like people seem to want...

What if they refine it further, do they need 3 choices now? "Sheet style: new, previous, before previous"?

Then they'd have to pack all the different variations into the binaries, the system would have to add branches when the features are triggered, developers would have to be aware of any possible interactions between different styles and users would have to adapt to every Mac behaving in a different way.

Personally, I think the switch for scrollbar arrow positions was a mistake. Your muscle memory gets used to one style and then disrupts your flow when you change machines.

diniscorreia
Aug 24, 2003, 04:26 PM
How do the sheets look on brushed metal windows? They look odd in Jaguar, because brushed metal windows don't really have title bars. Any screenshots?

Powerbook G5
Aug 24, 2003, 06:19 PM
As far as people wishing for a way to choose the kinds of animations you could use, there are already quite a few haxies on Versiontracker to change brushed metal/aqua, icons, minimize animation, etc, so I wouldn't be surprised that a week after Panther is out, there will be lots of them out there to switch the animation if you don't like it.

u2mr2os2
Aug 24, 2003, 09:19 PM
At least the animation is quicker that the pull down menu animation I did on an old BASIC program I wrote back in 1984 to poke fun at all the discussion about pull down menus. Each menu had a little string dangling below it, and when you used the joystick to select one, a little man came running from the side of the screen, jumped up and pulled it down like a window shade, scrolling and all. Boy that was slow on that 8-bit micro!

u2mr2os2
Aug 24, 2003, 09:21 PM
Now they just need a "check grammar as you type" feature, and these forums would be readable :)

bennetsaysargh
Aug 24, 2003, 09:46 PM
it looks more like the genie effect than anything else.

apple has a way of slightly updating the looks every .1 upgrade. (i.e. cheetah to puma and puma to jaguar)
when i look at stuff in older versions of X, it's like everything has a humoungous shadow. and the pin stripes looked like a 2 year old's toy, and then 10.1 looked a little better, but it still had those blatant pinstripes. now jaguar is fine i guess, but the panther UI is definatly a turn for the better.

alandail
Aug 24, 2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by DreaminDirector

hope that helped.

cool - I never noticed this feature until reading this thread, and then thought it odd it didn't underline the misspelled words. Now I have my browser working the way it should default to working.

myrdred23
Aug 24, 2003, 10:59 PM
Also, the spelling options are always available in the Edit menu, if you don't want to use control-click!

Phil Of Mac
Aug 25, 2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
As far as people wishing for a way to choose the kinds of animations you could use, there are already quite a few haxies on Versiontracker to change brushed metal/aqua, icons, minimize animation, etc, so I wouldn't be surprised that a week after Panther is out, there will be lots of them out there to switch the animation if you don't like it.

Unless they remove the support for the old animation.

G4Powermac
Aug 25, 2003, 05:11 AM
here is a link to a sheets slow mo vid, sorry about poor quality

sheets slow motion movie (http://www.g4powermac.com/sheets1.mov) :)

macfreak2000
Aug 26, 2003, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I really like the new sheets too. I have a copy of the 7B44 seed, and I am really going to have a hard time going back to Jaguar when I need to.

The seed looks almost finished, and XCode rocks the world as well (although the new interface is quite cluttered when compared to PB's interface. it is also much less customizable, meaning there are no workspace templates... yet ;)). One major problem I am having is that Toast Titanium won't launch. :(

Also, Apple seems to have integrated Disk Copy into the OS so there is no external application anymore. However, because of this, they seem to have moved Disk Copy's burning capabilities into the Disk Utility application... seems quite unorganized to me. Why would i go into a disk repair program to burn a copy of a disk image? Hopefully they'll fix that...

Very sweet, and Exposé rocks!! :D

MasterMac
Aug 26, 2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by macfreak2000
Also, Apple seems to have integrated Disk Copy into the OS so there is no external application anymore. However, because of this, they seem to have moved Disk Copy's burning capabilities into the Disk Utility application... seems quite unorganized to me. Why would i go into a disk repair program to burn a copy of a disk image? Hopefully they'll fix that...

Very sweet, and Exposé rocks!! :D

I don't think it's that unorganized, in fact I think it's better organized than how it's currently done in Jaguar. Why go into an application called "Disk Copy" to create disk images or mount them? "Disk Utility" sounds more like an all-purpose kinda thing where you repair, create, erase, burn, etc disks.

And yes, Exposť kicks ass :)

Phil Of Mac
Aug 26, 2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by MasterMac
And yes, Exposť kicks ass :)

News Flash:

Panther will be localized for Canada. Reportedly, the Exposť feature will be called the "Expose, Eh?" feature.

MasterMac
Aug 26, 2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
News Flash:

Panther will be localized for Canada. Reportedly, the Exposť feature will be called the "Expose, Eh?" feature.

haha, that would be really cool if it really happened :D