Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Lemme first start off by saying I've owned about 5 iPods in my lifetime and I am upgrading/downgrading to the iPod Touch from my 30GB 5G iPod. I say "upgrading/downgrading" because of the significant loss in storage from my iPod 5G but, at the same time I'm getting loads of new and exciting features that the 5G can only dream about doing. That being said... here's what the thread was about:

Now that I have less storage... the iPod Touch has really forced me into thinking about what my absolute favorite music is. I really went through my entire iTunes Library and hand picked my favorite albums and then my favorite singles and realized that I didn't NEED all the other music that I THOUGHT I originally needed. Face it, I've made some bad music purchases that I don't particularly care for so by narrowing it down to my best possible listen-able tracks, I've really IMPROVED my music listening experience and here's why. When I put it on Shuffle (by song) I am 99% guaranteed that I'll like the song that is playing so my Shuffle Sessions will in turn be way more enjoyable. When I get sick of these songs... I've always got a way to bump them with different tracks from my computer.

Has anyone else had this type of experience by upgrading to a smaller iPod? So I guess there ARE good things about the smaller iPod storage of the iPod Touch. I also couldn't be happier with the interface and brand new features. The Touch Screen is also so amazing that I can't believe they didn't have one sooner... it's almost like a dream come true!

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, I found the same thing.

I originally bought a 16GB Touch with a bad screen and returned it. I then ended up ordering a 8GB Touch from Target because the savings was worth it for me. With 8GB I can fit 5 or 6 movies, and 100 albums or so.

Since I'm at a computer all day anyway (so it's easy for me to make changes), that's perfectly fine for my usage. I only need the next few unwatched movies in my cue, I don't need to store my entire library or anything.

I also have a 1GB Shuffle that I listen to a lot, so I'm used to working with less space.

Matteh117

macrumors regular
May 24, 2007
Surrey, UK
I've considered getting an 8GB instead of 16GB just because they are readily available (well, more than the 16's anyway) and the difference in cost helps out. Choices, choices...

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
Lemme first start off by saying I've owned about 5 iPods in my lifetime and I am upgrading/downgrading to the iPod Touch from my 30GB 5G iPod. I say "upgrading/downgrading" because of the significant loss in storage from my iPod 5G but, at the same time I'm getting loads of new and exciting features that the 5G can only dream about doing. That being said... here's what the thread was about:

Now that I have less storage... the iPod Touch has really forced me into thinking about what my absolute favorite music is. I really went through my entire iTunes Library and hand picked my favorite albums and then my favorite singles and realized that I didn't NEED all the other music that I THOUGHT I originally needed. Face it, I've made some bad music purchases that I don't particularly care for so by narrowing it down to my best possible listen-able tracks, I've really IMPROVED my music listening experience and here's why. When I put it on Shuffle (by song) I am 99% guaranteed that I'll like the song that is playing so my Shuffle Sessions will in turn be way more enjoyable. When I get sick of these songs... I've always got a way to bump them with different tracks from my computer.

Has anyone else had this type of experience by upgrading to a smaller iPod? So I guess there ARE good things about the smaller iPod storage of the iPod Touch. I also couldn't be happier with the interface and brand new features. The Touch Screen is also so amazing that I can't believe they didn't have one sooner... it's almost like a dream come true!

Yes, i totally get it. I have a 40GB that broke. The day i brought it in the store and they said the hard drive is no good, i bought a Mini. And swore i'd never spend so much money on a hard drive device again because i was so careful with that ipod and it broke after 15 months. Anyway, i had to adjust to a 4GB iPod. I realized too that i had so much stuff on there i wouldn't listen to. Total waste. Then when the Nano's came out, i got the 1GB and really happy with that too. So the 16GB is clearly a lot of space for me which is great because i'm used to a small amount of music. I'll may put in about 4-6 GB of music in it, then the rest is for photos and videos. I usually play the entire library on shuffle and rarely have to skip a track. It is much more enjoyable not having to skip songs and search through too many artists. Well, actually i have a lot of artists because i load a lot of DJ stuff!! I have so much stuff on it already and it's only a 1/4 full!!:D
ps. my itunes library is 50GB- when i get tired on the music i've loaded on the ipod, i just swap some stuff out and i feel like i bought new music.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
There was a thread recently where a guy started to comment on his efforts to prune his nearly full 60GB iPod down to 16GB.

Certainly many of us are in the same boat. When it comes down to iTouch's revolutionary features there was no question that I'd give up my 30GB 5G iPod for the added functionality and ability to actually watch movies on a useable screen.

Smart Playlists in iTunes makes this all very possible. Playlists based on song/album ratings, number of listens, genre, etc, make it pretty easy to get a good chunk of your music you really want to listen to on the iPod at any time.

Currently I've got 1800+ tracks, 5 full length movies and hundreds of photos filling up my itouch. Certainly enough media to keep me going for week long business trips.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
Currently I've got 1800+ tracks, 5 full length movies and hundreds of photos filling up my itouch. Certainly enough media to keep me going for week long business trips.

1800 * 3.5 (avg. length of song) = 6,300 min.
6,300 + (5 * 120 [avg. length of movie) = 6900 min.

6900/60 = 115 hours

115/24 = 4.79 days
115/12(assuming you listen 12 hours a day) = 9.58 days

Conclusion
Certainly

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
I learned the same thing. I have a TON of music and I thought there was no way I was going to get it down enough. Lo and behold, here I am on my touch, And I have 9 gigs free. Now, I am going to fill that up here soon, but I was impressed with myself!

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
I learned the same thing. I have a TON of music and I thought there was no way I was going to get it down enough. Lo and behold, here I am on my touch, And I have 9 gigs free. Now, I am going to fill that up here soon, but I was impressed with myself!

definitely makes you think twice before you put music on your iPod for sure.

I've only owned 2 iPods in my lifetime, one that was 5gb, and then a 40gb one that I quickly sold due to how bulky it was...

man technology is great, now all of these features are in my phone.

SuperDaddy

macrumors member
May 21, 2007
Middle Earth
Yes yes yes.

I survived a long time with my 2gb Nano. I'd load 250 or so songs at a time, shuffle them, listen to them each once...then wipe it and load 250 more. I had absolutely no problem doing that. I knew for a fact I was getting songs that I wanted to hear over the next week or so (used it while driving to work and back).

When I went to the 30gb 5.5g, I loaded ALL of my music, hit shuffle, and found my self CONSTANTLY clicking forward to next song. Pain in the ARSE.

The 8gb or 16gb Touch sounds fine to me, now.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Yes yes yes.

I survived a long time with my 2gb Nano. I'd load 250 or so songs at a time, shuffle them, listen to them each once...then wipe it and load 250 more. I had absolutely no problem doing that. I knew for a fact I was getting songs that I wanted to hear over the next week or so (used it while driving to work and back).

When I went to the 30gb 5.5g, I loaded ALL of my music, hit shuffle, and found my self CONSTANTLY clicking forward to next song. Pain in the ARSE.

The 8gb or 16gb Touch sounds fine to me, now.

Ya, I never used to be a 'random' listener, preferring to select an album and listen to it beginning to end.

That's been changing recently, probably because I rarely have time to sit down, relax and listen to an entire album in one shot.

There will always be people who insist on having their entire library with them all of the time.... for when the mood strikes them to listen to some long lost relic.

And hey, the Classic holds 160GB so they should be good!

oragano

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2007
im the type of person who hoards everything and i own a 4th and 5th gen ipod. I found that too much choice on the go is a bad thing. I stopped listening to music to be honest
But i wanted music to listen to while skipping. I bought a shuffle and have never looked back. I now use it in bed, in the bath. Every 3 days i hit autofill in itunes.
Im only buying an itouch now for browsing in bed and the hope that jailbreak will come soon with ebook app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.