Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GaryLenCarter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Memphis TN
Hi everyone,

Just received my ipod Touch yesterday. Gotta say way cooler than the old old ipod shuffle(500mb) I had formerly but.. here are some quirks I've noticed so far.

- Had a couple of photos in Photo gallery and at one point the ipod would only recognize one of them. Let me rephrase. It would display 1 of 2 and then I could scroll to 2 of 2 but it displayed as the same pic!

- I was in the calendar and tapping different areas to attempt to add an event (which I've learned you can't do..yet) and the unit would just shut off.

- The thing is turning on by just handling it and not pushing anything to make it turn on. It even came on a couple of times just opening the box it came in (yes, I'm still in the protect-it-by-keeping-it-in-its-original-box mode. Come on . You've all done it. :)

Anyone else have these problems? I know it's early but I know there are a bunch of those out there. Oh, and I thought it sad that these had to come from Shanghai, China. Can't we make ANYTHING here anymore in the good ole USA? :confused:

Gary from Memphis

Nova69

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
In the box

I was having the same problem with having it turn on in the box. Then I looked at the tray closely. If you look carefully, you'll see that one end of the tray has a cut out corresponding to the button on top of the iPod. Unless you're careful to place the top of the iPod on the side where this cutout is, the button, which protrudes a little, will rub on the tray and your Touch can turn on. Just be sure you put the ipod in the tray with the button in the cutout and you'll have no more problems.

GaryLenCarter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Memphis TN
That cutout

Thanks. I see the cutout now but I don't see how I could have bumped it hard enough removing the top to turn it on, especially since I've had to push it now and again twice to turn it on because I didn't push it hard enough. But , thanks for pointing that out. Any photo issues for you? I have only had that happen once.

Gary

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone else have these problems? I know it's early but I know there are a bunch of those out there. Oh, and I thought it sad that these had to come from Shanghai, China. Can't we make ANYTHING here anymore in the good ole USA? :confused:

Gary from Memphis

You can buy the Made-In-the-USA models, but they are only available through special order from Apple, and cost $700. ;)

Apple (and most big electronics companies) have been making computers, iPods, etc. in China for many years now.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
- The thing is turning on by just handling it and not pushing anything to make it turn on. It even came on a couple of times just opening the box it came in (yes, I'm still in the protect-it-by-keeping-it-in-its-original-box mode. Come on . You've all done it. :)

Gary from Memphis

My iPhone will turn on occasionally by itself. I guess it's normal, it stays on a few seconds then goes out. It happened a few times yesterday alone.

I even had a Treo 650 that did this so I'm kinda used to it after a few years of using the Treo.

parrotheadmjb

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
You can buy the Made-In-the-USA models, but they are only available through special order from Apple, and cost $700. ;)

Apple (and most big electronics companies) have been making computers, iPods, etc. in China for many years now.

how do you order it?

drnycallstar19

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
Hi everyone,

Just received my ipod Touch yesterday. Gotta say way cooler than the old old ipod shuffle(500mb) I had formerly but.. here are some quirks I've noticed so far.

- Had a couple of photos in Photo gallery and at one point the ipod would only recognize one of them. Let me rephrase. It would display 1 of 2 and then I could scroll to 2 of 2 but it displayed as the same pic!

- I was in the calendar and tapping different areas to attempt to add an event (which I've learned you can't do..yet) and the unit would just shut off.

Gary from Memphis

no the good ole usa is to expensive to make anything....everything in the foreign countries is ridiculously cheap compared to making anything here..
:(

JuicyGoo

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2004
NYC
An annoying interface quirk is how I browse through Artist > Album to pick a song, it plays normally...

Then I'll select another song by flipping the cover...

Then if I try to hit "back" to pick another album by the artist, the iPod goes to All Albums and not to Albums by the selected Artist.

Why can't it remember that I should still be within Artist > Album?

Sorry, it's minor but has annoyed me several times already and I've had it a week.

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
Yea I've had that problem in Calendar and Safari crashing back to home screen. Lets hope they fix it soon.

Not sure if this will help you but my iPhone did this until I was told to power it off occasionally (once every day or two days). Now it is a very rare occurence. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.