Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
im not able to connect like i use to. what do you all do when this happens? if it happens at all?

i tried different connections/routers and such....is there anymore that i may have missed?

groov'

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2001
Netherlands
force quit

No problems connecting with limewire (2.3.3)for me, but I cannot quit the normal way. I always have to force quit...

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I think that to get a quicker connection at startup you might need to go into preferences and select "connect at startup". If that doesn't work, then...I'm not sure. Maybe you cannot be connected when downloading a file?

As for Force Quitting, Limewire does not quit when commanded to if you are downloading something. You will have to delete that download. Or, sometimes, Limewire just is slow to quit when it is inactive. Just wait a few seconds.

I have 2.3.1 for OS X and I have had very few problems. I still see room for improvements.

In the time it takes to read this message, an Apple computer will already have performed 15 billion float-point operations more than a consumer PC.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I've never completed a download using LimeWire! All you people having problems should consider yourself luck that you had it working in the first place!

Why do these kinds of apps never work properly for me? :(

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
To get a download going you have to know certain things about the Gnutella network.

Here comes another college lecture. Take notes!

(1) To access hosts from the interactive software program called Limewire select "connect on startup" from Preferences, if you have not done so.
(2) You may want to discover the quantity of files and the total network file archive size your network client can access. To find this information out pull down the Statistics pop-up from the Options menu.
(3) When the amount of archive file sizes has entered between 5 and 10 digit numbers, and if the number of accessable files has at least 4 digits in its actual quantity, start a search.
(4) Note that once you get results you will see stars representing the "Quality" column of your search results. The more, the better.
Your most likely successful download(s) will have up to 4 stars; however, this is not always the case. Any result with one star usually represents a busy host. Ignore.
(5) Note that some hosts are firewalls, and are sometimes represented by results that are associated with one, two, or three stars. Since you cannot see the actual host you want to download from before actually downloading, there is a chance that the file may just have a low quality rating and may not be behind a firewall. If you try to download something from behind a firewall, the server may let you through. If not, you may be waiting forever.
(6) The following are firewall hosts:
192.168.xxx.xxx
10.1.xxx.xxx
0.0.xxx.xxx
(7) Note that if you want to avoid downloading from a host, take a look at the quality column and the speed column for that result. If this result and another result have the same number of stars, the same download speed, AND the same color for that speed (color is either green or black), then most likely the two results were uploaded from the same host.
(8) If a download happens to suddenly wait for a reply, you cannot download from that host as easily for a while. However, if you possess the latest edition of the client software Limewire you can find a different host with the EXACT same file title and download from there, leaving off where the original attempted download discontinued.

I have been using Limewire since 1.4 and it has gotten easier to use since then. If you still need more help, try the Limewire website.

In the time it takes to read this message, an Apple computer will already have performed 15 billion float-point operations more than a consumer PC.

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
yeah ok but.............

it was working fine for me ........but since 04/04/02 the app frezees on start up. the whole bloody thing freezes the computer (os X).
what do you suggest now?
**** it!
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I think Beej said it best: LOL!

Limewire has had tremendous stability problems from day 1 and since I first used it.

Sugggestions:
(1) When opening Limewire, do not open any other applications along with it.
(2) Do not just start jumping from menu to menu once Limewire is open.
(3) Once a new version of Limewire comes out, go to CNet to find out their rating and what other people give Limewire from a 1-5.
(4) On rare occurances, a version of Limewire may actually be recalled (Limewire 1.5). Make sure you have a backup.
(5) The faster computer, the better. Jack up your computer with hefty amounts of RAM. (I have 1024MB and Limewire works mostly fine.)
(6) You may have too much stuff on your computer, such as junk files or other old files, which will conflict with your computer. Try to find any conflicting files, and delete them. (If you use Photoshop 6.0 update to 6.0.1. The update will get rid of a lot of the junk invisible files 6.0 created.)

Finally, if that doesn't work, and Limewire regresses, find another client.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
re: King Cobra & LimeWire

I admire your thoroughness in your replies....but I gotta comment...

I think u are giving jefhatfield a good run for his money when it comes to reply length!!!

he he he...:p

now as for LimeWire....ever since I moved up to v2.3 I've had nearly zero problems connecting and finding what I want....only setback is I have to force quit the application once I am done....actually quitting just dumps it back into the dock still active :(

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I still don't know why people deal with Limewire...

It's terrible, imho... :)

MP3's => Audiogalaxy
Movies => mldonkey

everything else... well, I guess you can try limewire... but there are probably better options.

arn

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Re: re: King Cobra & LimeWire

Originally posted by eyelikeart
now as for LimeWire....ever since I moved up to v2.3 I've had nearly zero problems connecting and finding what I want....only setback is I have to force quit the application once I am done....actually quitting just dumps it back into the dock still active :(

yes, the last two versions of limewire have required force quits. pretty stupid of them. they want us to pay them for a piece of software that wont even quit properly? limewire used to quit just fine and when starting it up again it would remember what downloads you hadnt finished and start downloading them again. now that we have to force quit we lose this functionality. limeiwre just keeps getting worse and worse... and i havent found any alternatives to it that work any better. (list of p2p apps ive tried )

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Re: re: King Cobra & LimeWire

Originally posted by eyelikeart
I admire your thoroughness in your replies....but I gotta comment...

I think u are giving jefhatfield a good run for his money when it comes to reply length!!!

he he he...:p

yes, the last two versions of limewire have required force quits. pretty stupid of them. they want us to pay them for a piece of software that wont even quit properly? limewire used to quit just fine and when starting it up again it would remember what downloads you hadnt finished and start downloading them again. now that we have to force quit we lose this functionality. limeiwre just keeps getting worse and worse... and i havent found any alternatives to it that work any better. (list of p2p apps ive tried )

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
If you are having to force quit limewire it is because you have a file still trying to transfer or still on the download list. To fix the shutdown problem go to the Finder/Program menu and click on preferences. Then look for the link called "shut down" click on it. It then asks you if you want to shut down immediately or until all transfers are complete. Choose the option, immediately and this should fix the problem with needing to force quit. BTW when you do this, it remembers the files that you were downloading just like always...when you start it back up...they are there.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
If you are having to force quit limewire it is because you have a file still trying to transfer or still on the download list. To fix the shutdown problem go to the Finder/Program menu and click on preferences. Then look for the link called "shut down" click on it. It then asks you if you want to shut down immediately or until all transfers are complete. Choose the option, immediately and this should fix the problem with needing to force quit. BTW when you do this, it remembers the files that you were downloading just like always...when you start it back up...they are there.

damn i cant believe i didnt see that. well that makes me feel a lil better. still they need to make it so i can apple-Q my way out, but at least its not a bug just poor design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.