PDA

View Full Version : wireless network for itouch

bored911
Sep 25, 2007, 10:26 AM
ok so i am about to go pick up my itouch but i wanted to know because i can't have a router here at school if there is a way that i can encrypt the internet sharing from my macbook. anyone know if this is even possible

chrismball
Sep 25, 2007, 11:11 AM
I haven't tried it before but from my understanding all you have to do is click the airport icon on the top right, Create Network, then click Show Options and create a WEP.

If you're plugged into an internet connection through an ethernet cable this should allow you to share it wirelessly I believe - someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

madmaxmedia
Sep 25, 2007, 11:15 AM
I haven't tried it before but from my understanding all you have to do is click the airport icon on the top right, Create Network, then click Show Options and create a WEP.

If you're plugged into an internet connection through an ethernet cable this should allow you to share it wirelessly I believe - someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

You're correct on both counts. It should work just fine that way with the Touch, although I haven't tried it.

Arisian
Sep 25, 2007, 11:42 AM
when I was in school I worked for the Housing department as a tech. for the dorms networks. We werent allowed to have wireless routers either, however, I just changed the routers channel to something I knew the universities WI FI wasnt using (or the hub near me), took off one of the anntenaes and places a pringles can over the other and pointed it back towards my room. I then made the SSID hidden and encrypted with WEP. I know for a fact that works, however, we/they can run scans through the network to find routers.

just fyi, hope that helps some

madmaxmedia
Sep 25, 2007, 11:48 AM
It would be cool if someone tried wirelessly sharing internet from a wired MB or MBP to a Touch, just to confirm it works and there are no weird snags in the way.

RedDragon870503
Sep 25, 2007, 01:28 PM
It would be cool if someone tried wirelessly sharing internet from a wired MB or MBP to a Touch, just to confirm it works and there are no weird snags in the way.

Works well; currently doing so!

madmaxmedia
Sep 25, 2007, 01:30 PM
Thanks! :)

MacRy
Sep 25, 2007, 01:45 PM
Interesting. I didn't know you could do this. What kind of range would it have from a MacBook? My office at work is right next door to the canteen with only a thin wall dividing it. Would it make it through that and the twenty feet or so distance to the seat I usually occupy at lunchtime do you suppose? I don't get my Touch until Monday so I can't try it myself.

RedDragon870503
Sep 25, 2007, 02:18 PM
Oh yeah, at least with my iMac I get a good 100-150 feet estimated. It is really great.

I just wish my entire campus was this way!

Rhosfelt
Sep 25, 2007, 02:19 PM
Interesting. I didn't know you could do this. What kind of range would it have from a MacBook? My office at work is right next door to the canteen with only a thin wall dividing it. Would it make it through that and the twenty feet or so distance to the seat I usually occupy at lunchtime do you suppose? I don't get my Touch until Monday so I can't try it myself.

It should work, I am currently using an iMac, and besides some interference every now and again I get a pretty good connection. Of course it isn't as stable as a regular router.

iMJustAGuy
Sep 25, 2007, 02:36 PM
ok so i am about to go pick up my itouch but i wanted to know because i can't have a router here at school if there is a way that i can encrypt the internet sharing from my macbook. anyone know if this is even possible

COOL! can you do this with a pc (vista)?

RedDragon870503
Sep 25, 2007, 06:24 PM
Theoretically, absolutely. Does the software support it? I do not know, I would think so. Mess around and try it!

MacRy
Oct 1, 2007, 05:35 AM
Got my Touch and tried this but Safari just says that it can't find the server. It connects to the network but no internet. What am I doing wrong here?

chezza
Oct 1, 2007, 08:40 AM
Why arn't you allowed a wireless network? (Sorry, Im in the UK so not familiar with your rules)

Rapmastac1
Oct 1, 2007, 10:34 AM
Why arn't you allowed a wireless network? (Sorry, Im in the UK so not familiar with your rules)

I'm guessing that you have to rent the internet from the school, if you had it blasting on Wi-Fi, all those around you would be able to leach off of free internet. It's like buying one cd and making a copy for all ur friends. I'm only guessing this, I don't know why though, I have never heard of such rules.

Quasiportnoy
Oct 1, 2007, 11:09 AM
COOL! can you do this with a pc (vista)?

Yes, and here are instructions on how, though I haven't done it myself anywhere other than in OS X.
Vista XP and OS X Instructions (http://reviews.cnet.com/Make_your_own_Wi_Fi_hot_spot/4660-3127_7-6277533.html)

Got my Touch and tried this but Safari just says that it can't find the server. It connects to the network but no internet. What am I doing wrong here?

The servers it's referring to are the DNS servers. Follow the instructions in the following article to get your computer's address as a server (they're for Nintendo DS, but it's the computer part that you're worried about) and if it STILL doesn't work, make sure you renew the lease ("Renew Lease" button towards bottom of network settings when your network is selected.
Nintendo DS Wireless Configuration. (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20051119155606277)

This is my first post on these forums. I've been reading the iPod Touch section since 9-13 to stay abreast of all new developments in the screen saga. I'm quite happy with my week 38, but I had trouble with the wireless at first, which is why I'm here, answering this question.

Hope this helps.

madmaxmedia
Oct 1, 2007, 11:14 AM
Okay, this is how you do it on a Mac-

1. Open System Preferences, select 'Sharing'
2. Select the tab 'Internet'
3. Configure Internet Sharing- Share your connection from 'Ethernet' (or whatever your connection is), to computers using 'Airport'.
4. Click on 'Airport Options'
5. Name your network, and configure WEP security.
6. Click okay, then click 'Start' to start the network.

Your Touch should now be able to see the network, and connect to it after you enter the password.

I am able to connect and briefly access the internet on my Touch. But then it stops working, I'm not sure why. My Touch is connected, but web pages don't load at all. My work firewall may be preventing access, I'm not sure.

EDIT- Apparently other people are also having problems connecting via Internet Sharing on the Mac to their iPhones. I did find this method-

http://www.analyticsblog.com/analyticsblog/2007/09/howto-use-the-e.html

But I'm not able to configure it correctly, for some reason the app doesn't let me select 'Airport' as the internal network interface.