Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I'm already having way too much fun with capturing movies from WoW and streaming them to my :apple:TV :)

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/patchnotes/

Highlights: Voice Chat across the board, Mac Movie Capturing, Mac Graphical Optimization, and iTunes controls

Mac Movie Capture: the Mac client can now capture in-game video to QuickTime movie files using a configurable choice of codec, resolution, and frame rate. New keybindings have been added to the Key Bindings dialog. For more detailed configuration options please see the Mac Options panel in game. Mac OS X 10.4.9 and QuickTime 7.1.6 or better are required. Not all machines have enough performance to smoothly capture video at high frame rates; end user experimentation will be required to find appropriate settings for each system.

Additional graphic optimization utilizing AltiVec for PowerPC-Mac and SSE for Intel-Mac. This provides some performance benefit on systems where vertex animation shaders are either unavailable or disabled (recommended on systems with Intel integrated video).
Mac Options dialog has been added to the primary options panel. This dialog offers configuration options for any features that are presently unique to the Mac client, such as iTunes Remote and Movie Capture.
New iTunes Remote configuration options have been added to the Mac Options panel.

rjames86

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2007
San Francisco
I only had 10 minutes to play with the video before class, but I was very impressed. Didn't kill my fps very much and the quality wasn't too bad at all.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
I am bit lost as to how I record video, I got it to record but I get some sort of compression not done you will loose video if you dont, which i dont know how?

24iMac

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
I have a new type 24" iMac but I can't capture for some reason. I have Quicktime player 7.2 (do i need pro?) and newest OS updates.

Why is this working on older iMacs and not on this one?

Tips welcome.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
I wish this would come to the pc version in this patch too. I'll have to play on my macbook's grappy vid card to capture video lol.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I have a new type 24" iMac but I can't capture for some reason. I have Quicktime player 7.2 (do i need pro?) and newest OS updates.

Why is this working on older iMacs and not on this one?

Tips welcome.

The forums on the WoW site have posts regarding this. It's a driver issue with the new iMacs. The driver issues are widespread (seeing as how it causes many other things to go wrong in other apps including the OS itself) and is prominent here in these forums as well as the Applediscussions themselves.

Bottom line, it's a driver issue, apple is aware of it, Amd is working on it, we'll see it whenever they get ready to release it and even then who knows if it'll work.

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
They're awesome.
Don't play WoW anymore, but it's the thought that counts lol.

Rock on, blizzard.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
The forums on the WoW site have posts regarding this. It's a driver issue with the new iMacs. The driver issues are widespread (seeing as how it causes many other things to go wrong in other apps including the OS itself) and is prominent here in these forums as well as the Applediscussions themselves.

Bottom line, it's a driver issue, apple is aware of it, Amd is working on it, we'll see it whenever they get ready to release it and even then who knows if it'll work.

Yeah I've read this too.

And somehow it's a little sad that this feature works like a champ on my G4 PowerBook, but not on my new iMac! :(

Ok, patience, patience and patience...

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Yeah I've read this too.

And somehow it's a little sad that this feature works like a champ on my G4 PowerBook, but not on my new iMac! :(

Ok, patience, patience and patience...

Yes Patience, I'm trying VERY HARD to have some. I know it all goes back to Apple/AMD for providing some more mature drivers.

I'm actually visit the Applestore locally to put Apple in their place. Several people told me "Yes this game XXXXXX works with the new iMacs or else we wouldn't promote it" and I'm going to show up and say "SEE IT DOES NOT WORK" and hopefully get some more escalation.

Blizzard says apple knows about some of these issues, others have talked to apple care and they say "i've never heard of this before" and others have called apple care and they say "yes we know about this" so I wanna go to the apple store (yes I quite capitalizing cuz my fingers hurt from typing code all day) to at least prove to myself that my new iMac is not bad and it's all of them or at least most of them.

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
...Bottom line, it's a driver issue, apple is aware of it, Amd is working on it, we'll see it whenever they get ready to release it and even then who knows if it'll work.

I'm starting to feel that the new iMac's were built to its full capabilities in Leopard. We will have to see what kind of widespread results we get when Leopard is released upon these new machines :)

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I'm starting to feel that the new iMac's were built to its full capabilities in Leopard. We will have to see what kind of widespread results we get when Leopard is released upon these new machines :)

The sad thing is if that were true, then Apple made a bad call releasing these and leopard so far apart since impressions can really hurt a company. Not that this will hurt Apple but I think you get the basic idea.

I just think that the drivers weren't tested fully or at least were developed under more "future" guidelines rather than a "global" set of guidelines.

Case and point, the new graphics cards are actually not that bad. They aren't given that much credit when they should be. They can run dx10 games (those that are available) rather nicely yet the older ones have graphics lagging issues. I can run WoW full screen with every setting turned up (except for AA) and it runs really sweet. Even in heavy cities or in intense pve combat. I can run Prey at max settings, yet a game like BF2142 has major issues. So they just need to take a step back and create more globally compatible drivers while still maintaining future core functionality. not an easy task but I hope they do it soon. I'm getting tired of bootcamping for my mac games.

rbarris

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2003
Irvine CA
The sad thing is if that were true, then Apple made a bad call releasing these and leopard so far apart since impressions can really hurt a company. Not that this will hurt Apple but I think you get the basic idea.

I just think that the drivers weren't tested fully or at least were developed under more "future" guidelines rather than a "global" set of guidelines.

It was simply a bug - you might notice that the video chip in the new iMac is the first of the new generation ATI parts shipping on the Apple platform, so the drivers are new as well.

And since most testing of WoW for pre-release hardware and drivers was done on the version without video capturing (2.1.3), the bug escaped detection.

We found out about it during WoW 2.2.0 PTR right about the time the new machines wer released, and put in the disable so people with the new iMacs wouldn't crash left and right trying to record movies. When the driver fix is released, we can post instructions on how to re-enable the feature without waiting for an additional WoW patch.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
@rbarris: I assume this feature is coming to Windows as well? :cool:

My macbook doesn't play WoW anything like my desktop does... ;)

Heinekev

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2007
@rbarris: I assume this feature is coming to Windows as well? :cool:

My macbook doesn't play WoW anything like my desktop does... ;)

I read a post by a Blizzard support rep on the WoW Forums that said they have no intention to bring it to windows.

But if you use Windows, look into Fraps. Works just as good. http://www.fraps.com

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I read a post by a Blizzard support rep on the WoW Forums that said they have no intention to bring it to windows.

But if you use Windows, look into Fraps. Works just as good. http://www.fraps.com

I was just gonna say, Windows users have several options to take in-game video, fraps being the most common. It's not our fault macs can do this and windows desktops can't.. awwwwww LOL j/k.

I'm a long time windows users and I know how little luv the mac world gets, now that Im on the mac world I definitely feel how fair it is when mac users get some luvin on the side and windows world has to use "workarounds"

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
No intention at all? :(

Fraps + WoW is probably just as good on the windows side, except you might have to buy the full version (i don't know limitations of unregistered fraps).

And windows still wins on that, because according to what I've heard, fraps is totally amazing... not that i've ever used it, though.
And fraps works in any game.

It doesn't seem like any mac video capture programs have gotten amazing reviews like that.

24iMac

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
I got me an Official reply:

Hello [name],

Thank you for your call regarding the Movie recording features missing on your new iMac computer.

Please be advised that due to a driver issue, the Movie recording features are not available on your new iMac computer, as of now.
You will need to wait for a driver update from Apple.

Should you need technical assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

Blizzard Entertainment Europe

Mario D.
Technical Support
http://www.wow-europe.com/en/
http://www.blizzard-europe.com/en/support/

If you reply to this email, please include all previous replies and files.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I got me an Official reply:

Hello [name],

Thank you for your call regarding the Movie recording features missing on your new iMac computer.

Please be advised that due to a driver issue, the Movie recording features are not available on your new iMac computer, as of now.
You will need to wait for a driver update from Apple.

Should you need technical assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

Blizzard Entertainment Europe

Mario D.
Technical Support
http://www.wow-europe.com/en/
http://www.blizzard-europe.com/en/support/

If you reply to this email, please include all previous replies and files.

The mods in the mac tech support addressed this issue during beta testing of the new feature and is why the ability is disabled for people who own the new imacs.

rbarris

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2003
Irvine CA
The mods in the mac tech support addressed this issue during beta testing of the new feature and is why the ability is disabled for people who own the new imacs.

Yes, we had a tough choice here

a) delay the feature from shipping
b) leave it as-is and let people crash when they hit the button on the iMac with HD 2600
c) put in the disable but leave a way to force it back on later.

We picked 'c' as the path of least offense.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Yes, we had a tough choice here

a) delay the feature from shipping
b) leave it as-is and let people crash when they hit the button on the iMac with HD 2600
c) put in the disable but leave a way to force it back on later.

We picked 'c' as the path of least offense.

I agree with C as well. It's not 'your' bug. It's Apple's/AMD's and we're all hoping for a fix soon as it will fix more than just the WoW video item.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.