Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exploding Bears

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Honestly, I love the interface, and how slim it is. However, I am very disappointed and appalled by the battery life.

At first I thought it was just mine, but others have been reporting an 8 hour battery life for music play back (and while that might be a bit lower then what it actually is)...it's not 22 hours like Apple has claimed.

IMO, this is false advertising. Of course they don't take in account (when posting the total hours) things like the screen being on, the back light, pictures etc, but i mean come on, jumping from 22 hours to 8 hours IMO is unacepptable.

So anyone else plan on returning their iPod touch? Maybe waiting till a later generation, when the battery life is actually better? Does anyone plan on keeping their touch, and sticking it through?

thegrue

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
How much are you changing tracks, showing off cover flow, browsing the web, etc? Are you using SoundCheck? All of these things affect battery life.

ds252

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
theres nothing to stick through 8 hours iS a day of work and is acceptable to me I returned my classic for this 200 dollar difference and I'm not looking back.

thegrue

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
what exactly is soundcheck? ive been wondering this.

It's a volume normalizer, and it doesn't actually work all that well. It allegedly measures the volume of a given track and adjusts it so you don't go from a quiet track to a loud one, but… your mileage may vary.

sebast1anc

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
I haven't really noticed that low of a battery life. i've used mine all day today, watched 2 hours of video, listened to music walking to and from class, browsed the web before classes started, and listened while at the gym, and my battery is still at like 60 percent

I charge it whenever I listen to it in my car, and since i drive 30 minutes to school everyday, it pretty much stays charged.

I'm keeping mine

uburoibob

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Leaving WiFi on will greatly reduce your battery life. So, shut WiFi off, let the screen go dark (just as on old iPods) when playing music, and you'll find a ton of hours you thought you were missing.

Bob

MacMoneyMar

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2007
Ive listen to music while playin Halo today.. i played the game for almost 5 hours i know sad but still my touch battery was hardly down.. i havent had a problem at all i love it

Exploding Bears

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Looks like we have conflicting reports from people. One guy on here tested his ipod, with Wi-Fi off, and left it running while on Hold the whole time.

Still claimed to get 8 hours.

For the most part, I only scroll through my albums when im changing what i'm going to play, then I leave it on hold the whole time.

I'm going to turn off the wi-fi right now.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
Honestly, I love the interface, and how slim it is. However, I am very disappointed and appalled by the battery life.

At first I thought it was just mine, but others have been reporting an 8 hour battery life for music play back (and while that might be a bit lower then what it actually is)...it's not 22 hours like Apple has claimed.

IMO, this is false advertising. Of course they don't take in account (when posting the total hours) things like the screen being on, the back light, pictures etc, but i mean come on, jumping from 22 hours to 8 hours IMO is unacepptable.

So anyone else plan on returning their iPod touch? Maybe waiting till a later generation, when the battery life is actually better? Does anyone plan on keeping their touch, and sticking it through?

I've only had mine for a day now...but I listened to podcasts all day at work and had the obligatory coworker "hey can i play with your new ipod?" request and the battery was only at about 75% when i plugged it in at home today.

So far i'm in love...haven't had an ipod in almost 2 years so it's really nice to have one again.

thegrue

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
Looks like we have conflicting reports from people. One guy on here tested his ipod, with Wi-Fi off, and left it running while on Hold the whole time.

Still claimed to get 8 hours.

For the most part, I only scroll through my albums when im changing what i'm going to play, then I leave it on hold the whole time.

I'm going to turn off the wi-fi right now.

It's possible to get a bad battery from the factory.

Exploding Bears

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
It's possible to get a bad battery from the factory.

Perhaps, but more then one person on here reporting the same thing?

I havent had the time to test mine, and honestly..8 hours did sound really bad. I don't think mine is that short, I've just noticed it's not anywhere near 22 hours.

thegrue

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
Perhaps, but more then one person on here reporting the same thing?

I havent had the time to test mine, and honestly..8 hours did sound really bad. I don't think mine is that short, I've just noticed it's not anywhere near 22 hours.

I've been an Apple customer for over 2 decades, and I can assure you: The first gen of any Apple product is going to have some teething issues. This is possibly just one of those.

tobenning

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007

Turning off WiFi and putting the touch into sleep made all the difference for me. I can listen to music/podcasts all day and the battery hardly goes down. I believe the 22 hours is turn it on, start playing and put the touch to sleep.

BTW, it's definitely a keeper.

Exploding Bears

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I just turned off the wi-fi.

So thanks to everyone for giving me the heads up on that. I'll be sure to keep a close eye, hopefully i notice the battery life go up.

For me, anyways, my battery life seemed to fluctuate based on how many times a day I would turn the Touch on and off. It seems to me, booting up the OS really affects the battery life.

cavebob

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
Even though apple products usually come with a fully charged battery, experience tells me that you need to run them down to 0 and do a full charge to get the max out of your battery. It happend with my MBP and serveral forums also say the same thing.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
screen black issues

has anyone been having the issues on the touch with regards to high contrast and blacks not being black enuogh.
Also, is there much of a diff between the 8gb and 16gb in terms of storage? companies always release to models..and the lower one seem to be discontinued quikly for favour of the higer one.
im assuming this storage is faster than the older storage from ipods because of the new drives.
any comment?

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Also, quit apps you are not using! This will give you lots of extra battery life. Go on to say, Safari and hold down the home button for about 8 seconds until the screen goes black with just the status bar at the top for about a second followed by the home screen. Do this for all apps except music them turn WiFi off and put it on hold. This will save lots of power.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Once I can get one with a good screen, absolutely. I have two years of backlogged anime and TV shows I've been meaning to watch, and with the iPod I'm finally beginning to make a dent. It's nice to be able to fill in all those annoying gaps in the day with entertainment.

Vigilante

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2007
Florida.
I love mine. The battery life is fine for me, when I get access to a computer I just plug it in. Try turning down brightness, too, if you want to save some battery life. I get ~14 hours of audio (I got it to about 50% after 7 hours of audio alone) on one charge.

seanm924

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
I'm going to keep mine even thought the battery live blows. Its ironic I think I'm going to keep carrying around my old nano so I can listen to music when my touch dies. Seriously, 2nd generation nanos have like 30 hrs of music playback.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
You guys gotta stop and remember how all the factors affect battery life. Seriously. When you use other Apps
Coverflow
Display Brightness (Use Auto-Brightness)
EQ (Apple's site says EQ even uses more power)
Wifi (Definitely an energy hog)
Having the display always on (obviously, turn it off when you're not using the screen)
Browsing Safari uses a lot of battery

I love mine. I don't care too much that I have to plug it in at night or whatever. It's totally worth it for me.

noshooz

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
Central Maryland
You'd have to pry mine from my "cold, dead hands." I absolutely love my touch, I have no issues with the battery life. I just plug mine into the USB AC adapter at bedtime and have a fully charged touch awaiting me in the morning. I also turn off wi-fi when not in a place where there is access. I'm hoping some cases start coming out soon, I'm trying to keep the back from getting too many scratches on it.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
My IPOD Touch Expereince.

Well, After reading the forum, I called the local apple store here in toronto.YES! they had a load full.!
OK i said to myself, calm down.
So at lunch i went down there to the mall. Thinking and thinking..will i get it..what would i do with it..what if something new comes out in few months..whats the resale value! if that happens..WHAT THE hell am i doing!

..Ah look the apple store fasts approaching...so i enter...and i see the new nanos all in their glory.Mmm..decide to play with the black one since it looked like they were all wanting my attention. OH MY FREAKING FOOT, this think was light. I thought i pulled it from its dock too fast or broke it. or left some part behind..but geeeeez.
I scrolled to a few songs..etc.Lovely. Ok calm down i said.

Looked around ladila..and ahhhhh in the center...there it was..right in the middle was a pedestel surrounded by fanboys..I wasnt sure if i would get to touch one..since my fingers were sweating.mmm..there was one on display and so i practicaly knocked the security guard running to it.
I lifted IT..and then...:eek:
My pupil dialated,mind turned to mush and i felt like a hippy on drugs back in the 70s with no care in the world.
ah those colors and bright screen and sharp images...droolling touching..:rolleyes:

.....20 mins later

im back at my desk now at work.
and yes i have the 16gb sitting here in the apple bag...
damn clock is slow..since i leave at 5pm!
And i got the one with macy gray on the box cover.
Now i have to devise a plan to leave early from work:cool:

:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.