Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
I got my first iPod (an 80 gig classic) last week and I love it. But at work, I was looking for something just to prop it up with. I didn't want to spend £10-20+ on something to actually dock it to - just something to hold it up at an angle.

Today I came upon the perfect solution. A MiniDV tape case! Fold the lid back on itself, and it's PERFECT...well - not quite - I need to dremel out a little dent in the front of the slot it sits on to get a better finger-stab at the pause end of the wheel, but it works brilliantly - and it's FREE! And

I've got a Sleevz Case for it on the way, (one of the Radtech range) and with .8mm thickness (so making the iPod basically 2mm thicker) it'll still fit just right. My colleagues Zen Vision M doesn't fit...too fat!

Sadly - it doesn't protect against Venus Fly Traps :)

Attachments

• ipod_stand_minidv1.jpg
    ipod_stand_minidv1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 86
  • ipod_stand_minidv2.jpg
    ipod_stand_minidv2.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 88

djellison

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
We've got a LOT of these spare at work - so I'm going to hoard about a dozen and try and dremel them up nicely - my first hack at carving a bit out the bottom lip came out a bit crap - but there's potential to make something quite pretty out of carving the bottom lip and the back a bit as well.

Also - your earbud like headphones of choice will fit into the case when you close it :)

I wonder if DAT tape cases work - they're a bit thinner.

Doug

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
Now that surely is creative and looks nice also...
good job;)

one question would you mind if I posted your idea on my blog some time?
I think that my readers would love the idea also.

byakuya

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.