Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
Wonder why Apple did not put those "other" applications on the iPod touch?

newton-reincarnation-070925.png

The return of the Newton:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/09/26/up_next_for_apple_the_return_of_the_newton.html

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
why? greed.

however, apple isn't god, and I don't expect apple to provide my whole world. I have confidence in free world developers.

PS. even the things on iPhone is poor, a device with a 400MB+ OS should absolutely do more than that.

seanm924

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
just wait for the 3rd party developers to get there hands on this thing. Then, it will be able to do everthing exept walk your dog

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
just wait for the 3rd party developers to get there hands on this thing. Then, it will be able to do everthing exept walk your dog

Yep, if it wasent for the fact that it will get hacked for 3rd party apps then I would just get the new Nano or just keep my first gen Nano I have now but I know once its hacked the possibilities are endless. But it seems Apple are taking a Sony-like approach to the hacks though :(

Quickdood

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
Yep, if it wasent for the fact that it will get hacked for 3rd party apps then I would just get the new Nano or just keep my first gen Nano I have now but I know once its hacked the possibilities are endless. But it seems Apple are taking a Sony-like approach to the hacks though :(

I am not sure it is gonna get hacked any time soon, from what I see not too many people are working on hacking the touch, itouch dev team only has like 4 people in it.

I hope some more people join the effort, I would but I don't have the technical skills.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
I am not sure it is gonna get hacked any time soon, from what I see not too many people are working on hacking the touch, itouch dev team only has like 4 people in it.

I hope some more people join the effort, I would but I don't have the technical skills.

Its early days, more people will join.

Same here, I would love to help out the iPod Touch community but I just dont have the skills.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
The claim is that there will be another touch screen device besides the iPod Touch that will be a PDA?

Doesn't make much sense to me.

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
You say "just an iPod" like it's a bad thing.

Like "just a Mercedes" or "just a million dollars". My iPod is offended. :cool:

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Damn give it time! Its only been out for Three weeks.

I found some creative work around for mine. But it requires a webhosting site and some helpfull insiders.

billyboy73

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
The Resurection of the Newton...

I just posted this over on another thread without having seen this post first.. I am concerned that we are all having to hack these devices to bring to them the logical functionality which should be present in the first place. I would love to see the iPod touch function as a PDA but I still think that the they could irk out a niche for the PDA market in a third device but they might become redundant at that point... Let me put my original post here and continue below:

~~~~~~​

So.. Let me just say that the only thing that is keeping me from having an iPhone is that I HATE AT&T.. Yes I know it is a natural choice for them to have gone to a GSM provider but up here in the North East I have seen nothing but trouble with the reception. OK.. So after saying all of that. Let me introduce the following...

I thought that the iPod Touch was a great step towards a PDA platform resurrection. https://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/26/...ton-apple-pda/ Having contractual obligations with AT&T now for the network that the iPhone is on. Does anyone think that Apple would partner with a different provider to offer a "Data Only" type functionality for any PDA platform. I suppose it is a silly notion and WiFi would be fine but I am just curious for those of us that are not often within a WiFi coverage zone.

Thoughts???

~~~~~~​

I find myself becoming increasingly concerned about hacking these devices after Apple seems to be frowning on that more and more and taking steps to negate our efforts with "bricking" the devices via future updates.

In my mind I would love to see a PDA with WiFi, full Contact functionality, Calendaring, Web Connectivity, email with Bluetooth and have some sort of data plan wireless connectivity with a provider other then AT&T. I am sorry for the redundant post but I thought it would bring about some interesting conversation.

::Bill Steps off his soapbox:: :D

Laurent

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Montréal, Québec
I think that Apple plans to add those functionality slowly to the iPod touch once the iPhone gets a really good grab at the cellphone market. MAY—BE they plan on SELLING you those applications as a package, like iLife and iWork...

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
I think that Apple plans to add those functionality slowly to the iPod touch once the iPhone gets a really good grab at the cellphone market. MAY—BE they plan on SELLING you those applications as a package, like iLife and iWork...

I hope they dont, but they do seem to be getting more and more money-hungry dont they? So who knows?

And billyboy73 I agree with everything, Apple should add all this stuff anyway. In fact, if they really are going to brick peoples iPhones with this new update then they are worse than Sony! And thats hard to believe, never thought I would have to say such things about Apple :( what has happened to the company we knew and loved???

asmallchild

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
Am I disappointed? Sure.

Do I care? Not really. Even if it's JUST an iPod. That's what I wanted. An iPod. If I had wanted an iPhone, I would have gladly switched cellular service to AT&T and gotten the phone instead.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
Yes I agree this is apples master plan. Apple are control freeks which in many ways is a good thing. I love the way my imac always works, always, but my PC is always on the edge of crashing or locking up. The downside is that I still need my PC to run most of the software I use (CAD on a mac anybody-not interested in emulators or Boot camp as CAD software is flaky enough already)

How about this as they are working on a SDK ?? apple will control what goes on the iphone until the new newton is released then the iphone and touch will become sub models in the newton range as well as being an ipod and a iphone. Applications written for newton touch will work on iphone and touch. Hopefully newton touch will also be a phone but then again they don't want to restrict who buys it by locking it to one carrier.The newton tuch HAS to have a microphone and speaker (so you can dictate ino it-mandatory for this market) so skype wifi phone is hopefully a possibility too but control freek apple will probaly want us not to do this too..

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
heres what i think, i think that 1 reason is the space ifone has more than the touch. 2 the price, ifone more expensive than the ipod touch. 3 i think that they though the apps would be useless on the touch.:eek:

8 GB iPhone vs 8 and 16 GB iPod touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.