Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
One very special 27 yo is demanding that her "look at the famous person that ate here" picture be removed from the restaurant where is it being displayed. The request, made on her father's official letterhead claims that she, as a private citizen, has not given permission to use her image as an endorsement.

Just wondering why she can't do this for herself? Strikes me as no different than any of the other spoiled brats that have mommy and daddy manage their lives.

Link
Link to the letter

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
perhaps because it'll get the job done faster?
i wouldn't think spoiled in this case at all personally.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
For once I can't see a problem with this.
Remove the names and this is what you end up with:

Dad writes a letter to a restaurant asking for them to remove the photo of his daughter that they did not gain permission to display.

Seem perfectly reasonable to me.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
For once I can't see a problem with this.
Remove the names and this is what you end up with:

Dad writes a letter to a restaurant asking for them to remove the photo of his daughter that they did not gain permission to display.

Seem perfectly reasonable to me.

and lets not forget that its because of her dad that she is 'famous'. i she doesn't really seem to want the fame at all, which is in part why she doesn't want her picture displayed.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Would I send a letter on my letterhead - or make the call, or sic my lawyer on them) if my 29 year old daughter was aggrieved by some establishment?

D*mn straight I would. She's my daughter, forever.

Agreed. Especially given the circumstances...she, on her own, is not famous except by reason of her parents. One of whom is running for public office. Also, let's not forget that "Dad" in this case is a former president as well as a lawyer himself, so it's not that surprising that she'd want to leverage his name/experience. And again, she's not out there being famous in every other context and is singling out this restaurant; she doesn't want the fame, stays out of the public eye, and so she deflected something that would have generated MORE publicity to her father, who lives in the public eye anyway.

Makes total sense. Does not strike me as spoiled so much as publicity shy and private.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
Wow, she's 27 already? Time sure flies...

and the time has done well for her too....

20061106.0337060.jpg

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
There are many reasons why I can't see a problem with this. The most glaringly obvious one to me being perhaps she's shy?

I know adults who can't talk to checkout workers because of this.

fuzzwud

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2004
Houston
Hey that's not a bad situation. Take down the photo, and put the letter from Bill in the photo frame, and hand that up on the wall.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Hey that's not a bad situation. Take down the photo, and put the letter from Bill in the photo frame, and hand that up on the wall.

Probably a great idea.

But "Photo removed at the request of the Clinton legal department" would be funny as well.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
It probably has to do with a reasonable expectation of privacy, which she loses ground on both is a "famous" person and as a person posing for the photo.

Except her trying to have it taken down wouldn't affect that.

My problem is that if this had been a certain California socialite, most of us would have expected her to retain her own lawyer. In that case, I would expect the same. Moreover, her father isn't the lawyer - it's her father's office's lawyer. Essentially, it would be the hotel chain's lawyers acting on our socialite's behalf.

Using the office's in-house counsel on behalf of your kid just isn't kosher.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Yeah, I'm not sure what she expected when she posed for a photo with the owner(?) of the place.

That's irrelevant. If she want the photo removed then the photo should be removed.

The owner of the place should respect her choice!

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Would I send a letter on my letterhead - or make the call, or sic my lawyer on them) if my 29 year old daughter was aggrieved by some establishment?

D*mn straight I would. She's my daughter, forever.

I agree completely. And I WOULD put it on my firm's letterhead......

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
If it was me, I'd do it myself, but maybe her Dad's lawyer is her lawyer.

The current pres has done similar things for his Daughters. Don't agree with it, but I understand. It is what it is. And besides, maybe it was his idea not hers. Or she asked and they didn't listen to her, as they aren't now.

So could this be just a case of the savvy Selimaj trying to drum up some publicity for his restaurant?

When asked if he was going to comply with the former president's request, Selimaj told CBS 2 HD's Scott Rapoport: "Not at this time. Unless I'm forced. I'm not gonna go to jail ... (laughter)."

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
So having not clicked the links...everything seems like a normal event...even finding out Bill is doing it doesn't change the picture

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Except her trying to have it taken down wouldn't affect that.

My problem is that if this had been a certain California socialite, most of us would have expected her to retain her own lawyer. In that case, I would expect the same. Moreover, her father isn't the lawyer - it's her father's office's lawyer. Essentially, it would be the hotel chain's lawyers acting on our socialite's behalf.

Using the office's in-house counsel on behalf of your kid just isn't kosher.

Except Chelsea doesn't hold herself out as a socialite. She purposely stays under the radar and barely appears unless she is at an event with her parents. Your example includes someone who retains counsel in part because she exposes herself to these situations. That's not the case here, and I think the intense privacy wanted by Chelsea explains a great deal of this...she does not want any of the trappings of fame, including demanding things being taken down.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
It probably has to do with a reasonable expectation of privacy, which she loses ground on both as a "famous" person and as a person posing for the photo.

I don't agree -- she could certainly argue that she is not a celebrity.

Also, if someone takes a snapshot, that's one thing; the presumption is that it is for their personal use. However, commercial use of a person's image requires consent.

If she signed a model release consenting to the commercial use of her image, then the restaurant is in the clear. If not, the restaurant would have to argue that she was in public AND that she is a sufficiently famous person that her image can be used in reporting of news. She could still argue back that the commercial use of the photo implying endorsement is not permissible without consent, and that their commercial use of the photo is not protected by fair use in the production of news, criticism, education or parody. She'd win. IMO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.