Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rivercottage

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Hiya!

My old 2g ipod has died a watery death, now completely confused as to what to do...defo getting the iphone in november, so that may replace my ipod needs?

I need something to play music in the car and im worried it will drain the iphone using as an incar music player, aswell as playing music and being a phone and everything else during the day etc.

So im thinking of getting a touch or a nano for use in car and as my main player

Does anybody use the touch in car? are there any accesories to do this yet?..also worried the nano may be a little small for any car holders out there!

Any ideas, suggestions on what to do would be most welcome!

:)
RCottage

cmcclure16

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2007
Haven't tested mine in the car at all yet but I would assume that if your stereo has an AUX jack on it then you just need a cable to go from there to the headphone jack. This is what I did with my Video iPod and will later today with my Touch.

rivercottage

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
to further complicate things, ive no aux in!! may have to go the fm transmitter route :-(

cmcclure16

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2007
I think I read the older FM transmitters work as long as it doesn't interact with the screen otherwise the Touch will tell you it is incompatible.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
I'm all for in car touching! :D

Do you have a tape player in your car? I use a tape adapter, and they are FAR superior to fm tranmitters

rivercottage

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
hiya, thanks for your posts

no, no tape player, just a cd player with no aux in, theres several solutions around about the £100 which integrate into the cd changer port, would just need a holder...but i think the nano is just going to be too small for any use in the car?

..but then having a touch and an iphone seems silly?

River

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Right now I am using a Belkin iPod Charger that plugs into my cigarette lighter. It also has an line-out port that I can plug into my AUX in the back of my head unit. I get superb sound quality and my iPod is always charged. However, I don't think constantly charging my battery is good for it. I posted a topic about it.

Here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4243013&posted=1

Ninden

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2005
Rochester, New York
I would honestly recommend the nano over the touch in this area.
For one, you'll be getting the iPhone, which does what the touch can do and more.

Second, I've tried to use my touch in the car (sounds so wrong ;) ) and it is much more of a hazard. You have to double tap the home button then tap the correct place on the screen in order to change songs or volume level.

Personally I use my 2nd gen Nano with the iPod Radio remote. I just clip the remote on to the seatbelt and use a cassette adapter into the car stereo. I can change songs and volume without having to take my eyes off the road. (Unfortunately the radio remote won't work with the touch...) As you have no tape player an FM transmitter would be a good choice. Even then a nano is much more easily accessed then the touch.

Given that you're going for the touch/nano for your main player, perhaps even a classic would be an even better choice?

thespazz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
I have a manual car and the touch has become a hassle for me. I'm returning not only due to the dead pixels, but also because it's dangerous using it my car. I'm just going to get a classic and use that. Clicking without looking is far easier than looking and tapping.

ds252

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
For which secondary ipod i would get would have to be a used 5.5G ipod it's going to be the same amount as a 8GB nano now and hold 30GB if you don't need the storage then the nano is just to small and cool to not have. Otherwise just buy a car charger but that could have bad affects on your car battery in the long term

mrhockey123

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
Why don't you just get a Classic for the car? For the same price as the Touch (less I think) you get like 10 times the memory (16GB Touch vs 160 GB Classic).

Since it's for car use, I doubt you'll use it to watch videos, and as previously stated, the touch is more of a hazard in the car.

Nano is a close second, and Touch third (in your case - I'm personally getting a touch because I don't need 160 GB but I do want video and a touch screen + wifi).

Stun inc.

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
I have a fairly inexpensive Dual cd deck and i invested in the $20 ipod dock conector that sits in my glove box. It works great with my touch (granted it would work fine with nano/classic) I can control all ipod functions from my deck and it set me back only about $150 and best buy installed it.

rivercottage

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Thanks for the help guys!

Looks like the touch is gonna cause me some driving troubles! so now im down to the classic and the nano - i do want the nano, gosh its soooo small! but im not sure if there are any cradles / car holders out there to actualy hold it in place! - maybe ill have to make do with it just lying there rather than harnessed in

Theres something about apple products - you just want them, im seriously desperate for november to get the iphone, is soooo hard holding back, and soo tempting to go get the ipod touch to cure the itch for a bit!

RiverCottage

Sandock

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
Calgary, Canada
I just got the Kensington Digital FM Transmitter/Auto Charger for my iPod Touch. I bought from Walmart, and they are priced $30 less than what is listed online at the Apple store. The moment I plugged it in it worked right off the bat! That's after choosing a clear FM station, of course.

Earlier, I tried using an RCA cable since my car's stereo has some AUX input jacks, to no avail. I'm glad I went with the Kensington. The black color matches well with the iPod Touch.

I agree that the Touch may be difficult to use incar. I don't fiddle with my iPod when I am driving anyway; I just set my playlist before I go and leave it. Works with my wife's new iPod Nano too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.