Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikuskwas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Hello,

I have a big problem with my new 20" iMac. The computer crashes without any reason. At first I though it was Autodesk Maya's problem, but then I noticed it also crashes in other programs. When it crashes, the watch stops, and I can't do anything, but the mouse still works and the CAPS LOCK light still works. I cannot force to quit anything and the only way to restart the computer is holding the power button.

I run the Hardware Test 3 times, and each time it gives me the same error code:

4MOT/1/40000003:HDD

What is this? I guess I have to take it to Apple Technical Assitance right?

Thanks

Nicolas.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I was having a problem with my Mac shutting down in the middle of a task. I read an article that said to rebuild permissions, and I did so. It's been a few days since my Mac has unexpectidly shut down, so I think that may have fixed the problem. Before calling try finding the answer yourself http://www.apple.com/support

nikuskwas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
I have already done all software updates, permission repairs, disk repairs... I wont do a system reinstallment because the disk is fine... its a hardware problem, but I want to know what it is exactly.

Thanks

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Strange that you're getting the hardware error code.

Anyway, what you seem to be describing is the random crashing which has affected some users since applying the 1.1 update recently. There's lots of threads on it in the Apple support forums.

Some people have had success by rolling back the update to 1.0. However, results are mixed and the only surefire way to cure it so far has been to reinstall OS X and don't apply the 1.0 update.

This only applies if this problem has just started happening on a previously stable machine I guess. Obviously look and see if you've installed anything else which might have caused problems for example.

nikuskwas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
OK, So HDD probably meands Hard Disk Drive...

the 4MOT I think has something to do with fans...I don't know... I think all this has to do with the iMac overheating... could it crash because of this? I haven'd send it to a Apple Technician because I have a lot of work to do, and it crashes randomly once in a while... I can still live with that...

Nick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.