Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vikinguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Is there anything I can do personally to "unstick" my pixels? Is there anything the apple store can do? I am very happy with my touch's black levels...I just can't stand the white specs, particularly one that is in the middle of the screen......i tried light massage, but that didn't do anything.

glennyboiwpg

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
Well... they actually aren't called stuck pixals... they're called "dead" pixals...

And they're called that for a reason. They aint comming back....

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
Actually a dead pixel is a black pixel, if the pixel is stuck on any other colour than black it is infact a stuck pixel and is caused by a malfunctioning layer of the LCD.

Believe it or not it is possible to fix these on your own, although I think it may be a lot tricker on the iPod.

When I had a stuck pixel on my Nintendo DS, I was first advised to play a fact paced game, so that all the pixels would change colour constantly which would hopefully unstick the pixel. I believe this is something TV repair shops do, except they have a special DVD which is basically a constantly changing screen of all the colours of the rainbow, and they leave this on overnight. If you could find one of these types of videos and put it on your iPod you may be able to fix the problem.

However, this didn't work on my DS. The way I fixed my dodgy DS pixels was to turn off the DS and rub on the affected screen area with a cloth with a reasonable amount of pressure. I did this for about two minutes (note that this was after playing a fast game, this may have helped), then turned it back on and the problem was solved :D . But this might be difficult on the iPod due to the glass screen :-(

You might want to google for 'fixing stuck pixels' or something to that affect, it will help you more than I can :)

EDIT: This is a good place to look, but if these instructions don't work I'm afraid you're out of luck :(
http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
Well on some devices, there are stuck pixels and dead pixels. Dead pixels usually display either black or white regardless of what is being displayed on the screen, they are usually very bright or dim. Stuck pixels are, as the name implies, stuck. They are usually blue, red, or green, but can be any other color, and they are always this color, regardless of what is being displayed. A good way to relieve this is to "message" the screen as the OP said he performed. Another way is to run a little movie that flashes colors to try and "persuade" the pixel to change it's current state, usually getting the pixel "un stuck".

It sounds like in this case, the pixel is dead, and I doubt there is anything you can do get this fixed. My advice is take it to the store you bought it from and tell them about it, and get either a refund or another product (exchange).

My friend's touch had a dead pixel, and though I didn't notice it at first, once I saw it, that was all that I knew was on the screen, that dead pixel in the middle. It wasn't even my ipod and it was driving me nuts. He took it back (had the negative shimmer too). So just take it back, no need to make a big deal out of it!

Vikinguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Actually a dead pixel is a black pixel, if the pixel is stuck on any other colour than black it is infact a stuck pixel and is caused by a malfunctioning layer of the LCD.

Believe it or not it is possible to fix these on your own, although I think it may be a lot tricker on the iPod.

When I had a stuck pixel on my Nintendo DS, I was first advised to play a fact paced game, so that all the pixels would change colour constantly which would hopefully unstick the pixel. I believe this is something TV repair shops do, except they have a special DVD which is basically a constantly changing screen of all the colours of the rainbow, and they leave this on overnight. If you could find one of these types of videos and put it on your iPod you may be able to fix the problem.

However, this didn't work on my DS. The way I fixed my dodgy DS pixels was to turn off the DS and rub on the affected screen area with a cloth with a reasonable amount of pressure. I did this for about two minutes (note that this was after playing a fast game, this may have helped), then turned it back on and the problem was solved :D . But this might be difficult on the iPod due to the glass screen :-(

You might want to google for 'fixing stuck pixels' or something to that affect, it will help you more than I can :)

I'm going to give this a shot tonight. I sure hope it works so i can avoid the fuss of going to an apple store for exchange that will probably get a unit that is worse off than mine...:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.