PDA

View Full Version : Voice Over IP on the iPhone

MacRumors
Sep 26, 2007, 06:03 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Endgadget posts (http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/26/truphone-demos-voip-for-iphone/) a video demo of an iPhone successfully making a phone call over IP. The demo was provided by a company called Truphone who announced (http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/09-26-2007/0004670724&EDATE=) today. From the press release:

1. Many people have called for true VoIP calling on Apple's iPhone. Truphone will today prove that it is possible using the iPhone's in-built Wi-Fi capability.
2. Truphone's demonstration will comprise two iPhones connected to Wi-Fi on the DEMOfall 07 stage. A VoIP call will be initiated from one handset, routed via Wi-Fi and the Internet to Truphone's servers, and then back again to the access point and onwards to the destination handset -- a 100% IP phone call.
3. Today's event will be a live demonstration only and is not a commercial launch of Truphone on the iPhone.
4. Truphone does not need to unlock the SIM in order to operate its service for the iPhone.

Voice over IP (VOIP) allows users to use the internet to transmit their voice calles, bypassing AT&T's cellular network (and billing).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/26/voice-over-ip-on-the-iphone/)

psychofreak
Sep 26, 2007, 06:07 PM
Awesome, not too long until this is easy...hopefully by the time the UK gets the phone :)

nismo
Sep 26, 2007, 06:26 PM
i just read this on engadget and it is soo friggin cool! I can't wait!

Telp
Sep 26, 2007, 06:26 PM
This is great!! True voIP...

aerospace
Sep 26, 2007, 06:31 PM
me thinks at&t isn't happy about this development

Mydel
Sep 26, 2007, 06:45 PM
I think AT&T is aware that iPhone is a full blown computer, and they are not able to stop this kind of development. And frankly speaking I guess Apple is silently cheering :rolleyes:

ivi7
Sep 26, 2007, 06:46 PM
This was one of those things I was sure the iPhone couldn't do.
I am really happy and excited about this development.

dvkid
Sep 26, 2007, 06:53 PM
This is great!! True voIP...

Not quite. Though I can overlook the length it takes to call out now as that will surely be remedied soon. However there have been no inroads made towards receiving calls via VoIP. Not to mention you would also be unable to utilize AT&Ts Voicemail with this method at all, let alone Visual Voicemail. Unfortunately, until AT&T (or T-Mobile) is willing to release this as a product it will not function as well as it should and thus will not permeate the primary population.

TXCraig
Sep 26, 2007, 07:20 PM
Unfortunately, until AT&T (or T-Mobile) is willing to release this as a product it will not function as well as it should and thus will not permeate the primary population.

T-Mobile already has this service that will switch calls from WiFi to Cell and back again as you travel from WiFI AP to another. The calls made on the WiFi network are free. They have 2 phones currently that do this. It was released in June just before the iPhone started selling.

bob122989
Sep 26, 2007, 08:18 PM
I'd be extremely interested in finding out how capable the ipod touch would be with this here method.

Unless it uses some fancy workaround on files that wouldn't be present on the ipod touch.

Just a thought.

RichP
Sep 26, 2007, 08:25 PM
I'd be extremely interested in finding out how capable the ipod touch would be with this here method.

Unless it uses some fancy workaround on files that wouldn't be present on the ipod touch.

Just a thought.

No Mic, No speaker, No phone.

VoIP will be an iphone reality from Apple/ATT, just not anytime soon.

QuarterSwede
Sep 26, 2007, 08:28 PM
While cool, it's not that exciting for a few reasons.

1) Current cell plans give plenty of minutes (my wife and I never use all of our minutes. I think we have over 2000 on rollover).

2) VOIP only works while in a WiFi area.

3) Not feasible for use in cities while walking around town or in the car.

So, while it's great while you're in your house, etc. This is NOT going to replace your cell phone.

However, if would be nice to use your iPhone as a cell phone while abroad and as your "landline" while at home. Too bad VOIP quality pales in comparison to good old copper ... at least that's what I hear from people who have had it.

bamisey
Sep 26, 2007, 08:35 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

Just a thought.

yeah, but one problem, the touch does not have a mic. Even the earphone jack doesn't have a third pin for a mic. You'll have to connect one through the dock.

ntrigue
Sep 26, 2007, 09:10 PM

The real significance is international calling and a decidedly lower minutes plan for those that own a home office.

PDE
Sep 26, 2007, 09:43 PM

1) Current cell plans give plenty of minutes (my wife and I never use all of our minutes. I think we have over 2000 on rollover).

So, while it's great while you're in your house, etc. This is NOT going to replace your cell phone.

However, if would be nice to use your iPhone as a cell phone while abroad and as your "landline" while at home. Too bad VOIP quality pales in comparison to good old copper ... at least that's what I hear from people who have had it.

As somebody said, it's the international calling that is useful. Also, I've used VOIP as my main phone line for years and it has become as good, or almost as good, as regular copper lines. My service also has a function that allows me to dial in to access my voip line through my cell phone. That seems like a better solution, quite frankly.

Still, this is a great development and I;m sure a lot of people will use it as wifi becomes more widespread all over the place. Cool!

Darkroom
Sep 26, 2007, 10:15 PM
this is soooo excellent

i_am_a_cow
Sep 26, 2007, 10:38 PM
this is great because minneapolis just got a city-wide network!

superleccy
Sep 27, 2007, 12:12 AM
I suspect the threat of VOIP (to AT&T, and thus to Apple's commercial agreement) is one of the main reasons why Apple hasn't opened the iPhone to developers.

It's just a matter of time. :)

SL

iWizzard
Sep 27, 2007, 03:46 AM
For this to be fully usefull it must be fully integrated withe current phone part so it will be just as easy to make a voip call as an regular call.

And you shuld be able to use EFGE with room to spare make an VOIP call, an voip call requires 90 Kbps.

Dagless
Sep 27, 2007, 04:52 AM
Wow, this could be very good for me. I'm planning on going for the 35 a month o2 deal, which leaves me with 200 minutes calling only. But since my house is bathed in WiFi I could easily save myself those precious minutes. My girlfriend's place is the same.

Oo, and the trains I get have WiFi on them (The Cloud, I believe). This would be very excellent as phone signals just go haywire on them.

I look forward to this!

emotion
Sep 27, 2007, 05:07 AM
Oo, and the trains I get have WiFi on them (The Cloud, I believe). This would be very excellent as phone signals just go haywire on them.

Which trains are these? You're in Manchester too yes?

I'm 100% my trains won't - stopper coming in from Warrington, they're the worst trains on the network.

I was reasonably impressed when I looked into Cloud coverage on their site. In fact to pass the time until the iPhone arrives I'm getting a Touch to see how the Cloud service fairs.

infamous
Sep 27, 2007, 05:35 AM
Skype anyone?

sanford
Sep 27, 2007, 06:16 AM
I agree with all your all your points, especially about collecting so many rollover minutes, and with mobile-to-mobile, we have the equivalent of a monster family plan at the cheapest monthly rate. One thing: VOIP quality is *better* than traditional landline, when it's good. At least our dedicated VOIP service separate from our broadband provider is better, when it's spot-on; problem is, it's highly sensitive to network conditions, both local and of the broadband provider's. Especially anything that uses the upstream data. If I do a large backup to my .mac account or publish a lot of photos to a .mac gallery, I can hear the other party clear as a bell, better than traditional landline, but my speech breaks up terribly for them. We have a 450 kbps upstream cap, that usually sits at around 400 kbps: that should be plenty for .mac uploads that tend to stall at around 50 kbps plus the voice upstream, which as stated by the provider only requires about 200 kbps or so upstream at the very most. But I guess the streams walk all over each other. While the data seems steady, the photos get up to .mac gallery as fast as if I wasn't using the phone, the outgoing voice is terrible during these time. Other network conditions than sometimes affect outgoing and incoming voice quality. Internal-only network use, like streaming movie from our Macs to the Apple TV over 802.11g or even mixed mode b to g, don't affect it at all; but the VOIP box is wire-connect to the router. Succinctly, it's better at its best but unstable and unpredictable. (We chose to use it because the former owner of our townhouse, in an apparent attempt to wire the landline phone system to every room, destroyed all the copper in the house, didn't declare such and it's hard to tell a line is bad on a line with no service when inspecting a house; it's a much better deal than paying the estimated $2,000 to have the house rewired, and the monthly service fee is half what we'd pay the local landline provider for fewer features.)

I assume this has to be a hacked native iPhone application, not an Apple-compliant Web application. If/when Apple and AT&T offer such a service, officially, I would certainly be interested, even if there were a small fee -- reasonably, US$5 - US$10 a month -- as it would use my usual cell number, calls would just make it in without forwarding and such, I'd be able to use Visual Voicemail, and unanswered calls would go to my AT&T voicemail. Until then it's interesting, but not useful to me.

mikeinternet
Sep 27, 2007, 06:19 AM
What are the chances this will work on EDGE?

iWizzard
Sep 27, 2007, 07:41 AM
100%

bob122989
Sep 27, 2007, 07:59 AM

This is the downfall of asking questions about devices i do not own myself, i just got really excited at the idea of not having to have any Provider whatsoever. But alas, AT&T will have me for a while yet.

emanaydin
Sep 27, 2007, 10:13 AM
ventrilo?

corywoolf
Sep 27, 2007, 10:27 AM

VoIP will be an iphone reality from Apple/ATT, just not anytime soon.

iPod Touch has a mic and speaker. The left earbud has a built in microphone (http://forums.ipodhacks.com/archive/index.php/t-274.html) and of course the right earbud could be the speaker. If the app balanced the audio all the way to the right side, maybe that would create a sort of phone. Not that anyone would really want to talk like that for long though. iPod Linux used to allow me to record memos through the left earbud.

mozmac
Sep 27, 2007, 10:39 AM
AT&T can't complain, because people aren't using their network for the data transfer; private wireless networks are being used. If the VOIP calls we being made over EDGE, then AT&T could scream. With making phone calls over Wi-Fi, they aren't using the cellular bandwidth so AT&T can pipe it to other customers, boosting their service.

Demon
Sep 27, 2007, 11:42 AM
Now to get the Touch working with VoIP. how great would that be! Sigh, still in disappointment over the touch capabilites...
Anyway, VoIP would be a great thing to have. Make more skype calls internationally.

ChrisA
Sep 27, 2007, 12:28 PM
I'll let yo all figure out the implications of this but, you know asterisk has been ported to Mac OS X.

http://www.asterisk.org/support/about

It would be fun if asterisk run on the iPhone but that's unlikely to happen soon.

TurboSC
Sep 27, 2007, 12:31 PM
Soon enough they'll release a nice version for the iPhone I'm sure...

I think all the development teams and hackers are just waiting for the 1.1.1 firmware before they spring into action and start hacking it to bits. :D

Bosunsfate
Sep 27, 2007, 01:02 PM
I know that the general impression is that AT&T is against a VoIP for the iPhone, however I think they have it wrong.

The biggest laugh is how much AT&T claim they have the best all over network. Well, I still get complete crap reception in my house, in my work place, and in just about in building around.

If I'm outside, okay, AT&T is good.

Which is why VoIP is good for them. 9 times out of 10, when I'm in a building, I'm connected to a WiFI.

What I think might be holding them up is that they will want to find some kind of pricing on this. Afterall, they don't want to give up on free minutes, right?:rolleyes:

bentup
Sep 27, 2007, 01:07 PM
It's exciting stuff, but I'm worried this will be thrown up on the list with free ring tones and SIM unlocking, as things that Apple "do not want!" <insert picture of steve jobs and white grammatically incorrect text here>

QuarterSwede
Sep 27, 2007, 06:27 PM
iPod Touch has a mic and speaker. The left earbud has a built in microphone (http://forums.ipodhacks.com/archive/index.php/t-274.html) and of course the right earbud could be the speaker. If the app balanced the audio all the way to the right side, maybe that would create a sort of phone. Not that anyone would really want to talk like that for long though. iPod Linux used to allow me to record memos through the left earbud.
Sigh. There is no mic in the left earbud. What is happening is that the speaker's polarity is being inverted and is becoming a mic. Basically, the speaker stops receiving audio signals and starts sending them to iPod. This is why it sounds terrible and is fuzzy, because it was designed as a speaker not a mic.

twoodcc
Sep 27, 2007, 09:13 PM
this is cool and all, but what's even better is to do this on at&t's network. so att sees it as data, and since you have unlimited data......