PDA

View Full Version : G5 Recall?

MacRumors
Aug 25, 2003, 01:56 PM
A few unsubstiated rumors are floating around the European web... MacNews.de (http://www.macnews.de/):

We've heard that the initial shipment of PowerMac G5s have been recalled and that the 1.6ghz Power Mac G5 is no longer shipping. It's unclear whether or not the recall is due to technical problems with the hardware. There has been no official statement from Apple.

Meanwhile MacBidouille claims (http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2003-08-25#409) that the G5 is delayed because of " a problem with the door lock that has appeared at the end of the assembly line".

AppleMatt
Aug 25, 2003, 01:57 PM
ohhhhh no. More cannon fodder for Mac bashers.

Oh well, it's only a latch.

AppleMatt

MattG
Aug 25, 2003, 02:02 PM
Ok, so the way this reads makes it sound like it only affects the 1.6ghz machines. Don't all of the machines have the same latch mechanism??

Powerbook G5
Aug 25, 2003, 02:12 PM
Well I don't see any actual reports that say the G5 is being recalled, if it were true, wouldn't the owners all have gotten a notice about it?

Chaszmyr
Aug 25, 2003, 02:22 PM
Surely if it were true Apple would have had to make a press release or something, no?
And I would think that also would delay other PowerMac orders a little, but it is the 25th and my dual 2ghz system still says on or before 8/29

Bunzi2k4
Aug 25, 2003, 02:26 PM
i would think so too... but who knows? i would think apple will say something in the very near future if it's true... mayb sometime this week?

Mr. Anderson
Aug 25, 2003, 02:26 PM
Well, even if its not a recall, if they have to fix all the cases that are sitting around waiting to have their innards put together, it will only create more of a delay in getting the machines to the public.

Sorry to hear this, but its one of a few reasons that helped make a decision not to buy the Rev A. G5....., I got burned on the Rev A. G4 and didn't want to have to go through the same anxiety as before.

I hope its an easy fix.

D

MattG
Aug 25, 2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Well, even if its not a recall, if they have to fix all the cases that are sitting around waiting to have their innards put together, it will only create more of a delay in getting the machines to the public.

Sorry to hear this, but its one of a few reasons that helped make a decision not to buy the Rev A. G5....., I got burned on the Rev A. G4 and didn't want to have to go through the same anxiety as before.

I hope its an easy fix.

D I was nervous about ordering a G5 also, but it's also cool to be part of something like this...a landmark in computing and whatnot :) Plus being able to say (for a while) that I've got the "Fastest desktop computer in the world!" ;)

Powerbook G5
Aug 25, 2003, 02:53 PM
It's probably more economical waiting, too, since Panther will be pre-installed by the time rev. B comes out.

Vlade
Aug 25, 2003, 03:00 PM
Wow... that would suck big time for apple...

gopy
Aug 25, 2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Macrumors
Meanwhile MacBidouille claims (http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2003-08-25#409) that the G5 is delayed because of " a problem with the door lock that has appeared at the end of the assembly line".

Maybe they only have to recall those, and depending on when each computer was made, that could be the 1.6s...

jaedreth
Aug 25, 2003, 03:05 PM
Keep in mind, they very well may use the same parts for the latches. However, a mistooling in the assembly line can have unwanted results in one specific line. That's why even if they all use the same parts, the 1.6GHz may be the only one affected.

Jaedreth

mxpiazza
Aug 25, 2003, 03:08 PM
i promise, a recall would be HUGE news, and directly from apple, it wouldn't be this behind-the-scenes stuff that is being described. also, if it's a latch problem, it wouldn't be only on the 1.6 models... and i'm not just saying all of this because i am waiting on my dual BTO g5 shipping on the 29th :D

really, i have no doubts in my mind that this is completley fabricated. apple would make an official release.

10 Goto 10
Aug 25, 2003, 04:05 PM
Some "Rev. B" hopefuls remind me of the fox who couldn't get to the grapes rationalizing that they must be sour. For those who can afford it and realize that Apple won't screw over the pro-users who are buying the machines, I have faith that serious problems will be fixed if they appear. I don't understand either side being so forceful in their incriminations against the other. Is this religion or a Mac? Ahh, just answered the question myself.

As for the "latch" rumor, well, so far, it is a rumor. The 1.6 ghz use the same case, so why would the latch be different? No one has shown that the different versions are made in different factories, so the latch supply thing again doesn't seem machine specific. The only reason why it would effect the 1.6s is that they are being produced first out the shoot.

As for the dualies, they are already out there and have been for about 3 weeks, especially within the fed gov't. Early errors, if they exist, would already be going back to Cupertino as they are being used for clustered, intense mathematical computation (with fans on full). No reports have leaked out to date.

Now for a new bit of info. When I called Apple for an update, they asked if it would be acceptable to get a different monitor (20 inch) if the specs were upgraded or the prices went down. Supposed delivery is 8/29. This may not involve my order but perhaps they are adding this to their script in advance of a change.

cubist
Aug 25, 2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Macrumors
... MacBidouille claims that the G5 is delayed because of " a problem with the door lock that has appeared at the end of the assembly line".

Of course this is translated, but if taken literally... a door lock appeared at the end of the assembly line, and it has a problem, so they can't open the door to take the machines out!

jaedreth
Aug 25, 2003, 04:49 PM
How do you say in French:

"Call the locksmith!" "Call the locksmith!"

</RobinHoodMenInTights>

Jaedreth

voyagerd
Aug 25, 2003, 05:20 PM
This better not be true, or if it is, I hope it only affects the assembly line that the 1.6's are produced on.

Fender2112
Aug 25, 2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by 10 Goto 10

Now for a new bit of info. When I called Apple for an update, they asked if it would be acceptable to get a different monitor (20 inch) if the specs were upgraded or the prices went down. Supposed delivery is 8/29. This may not involve my order but perhaps they are adding this to their script in advance of a change.

I'm going to beat somebody!:D I was about 10 minutes away from puttting in an order for 1.8 and 20". I now know that I'll wait a bit longer.

To add to this...I noticed at my local CompUSA that they have not had a 17" monitor on display for the past week or two. Only the 20" and 23". I ment to ask the Apple rep about that but got side tracked. At McMall, their stock for 17" was 30 and the 20" at 200+ and the 23" 100+

I quess I'll wait for Paris Expo. It's only 3 more weeks.:(

bennetsaysargh
Aug 25, 2003, 07:54 PM
well, where are Europe's G5s produced?
hopefully its only th euro 1.6.
either way its bad, but hpoefuly its as few as possible.

slfunk
Aug 25, 2003, 08:11 PM
Some "Rev. B" hopefuls remind me of the fox who couldn't get to the grapes rationalizing that they must be sour. For those who can afford it and realize that Apple won't screw over the pro-users who are buying the machines...

They WONT??!! Just checked out my windtunnel again.. it looks like I got screwed on that one.. MDD DP 1.25.. even with the 'fix' it stills sounds like an f'n vacuum cleaner :-(

Apple isn't a religion, it's a FOR PROFIT company.

jaedreth
Aug 25, 2003, 08:37 PM
You're right, Apple is a for profit company.

Macintosh is the religion. All worship according to the Doctrine of the Order of the Holy Mac! (Escape Velocity reference)

Steve Jobs is *not* God, not even Prophet. He's more like the Profiteer.

Jaedreth

bennetsaysargh
Aug 25, 2003, 09:40 PM
if mac is a religion, hen who is te god? and if sj isnt a prophet, than who is?

akushlan
Aug 25, 2003, 09:53 PM
There was NO RECALL, the machines were simply re-examined due to a misseated optical drive door!

10 Goto 10
Aug 25, 2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by slfunk
They WONT??!! Just checked out my windtunnel again.. it looks like I got screwed on that one.. MDD DP 1.25.. even with the 'fix' it stills sounds like an f'n vacuum cleaner :-(

Apple isn't a religion, it's a FOR PROFIT company.

If you bought from a local merchant or the apple store, you could have returned it. When I ordered my powermac g5, I got the pro card which allows me to return it within 30 days, no questions asked. For me, this sealed the deal.

slfunk
Aug 25, 2003, 11:04 PM
If you bought from a local merchant or the apple store, you could have returned it. When I ordered my powermac g5, I got the pro card which allows me to return it within 30 days, no questions asked. For me, this sealed the deal.

This is definitely different than the return policy at most Apple retailers. You bought it. You keep it. The MDD DP 1.25.. Apple didn't want those back.. rotten to the core on that one.

bousozoku
Aug 25, 2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
well, where are Europe's G5s produced?
hopefully its only th euro 1.6.
either way its bad, but hpoefuly its as few as possible.

Aren't all the machines produced in Ireland?

BrandonRP0123
Aug 26, 2003, 01:53 AM
To this day, I know someone with a lemon Rev A G4.

Sound crackles and hisses and sounds like a radio-station going out of range.

Anything OpenGL was distorted and garbled - until the stock ATI 128 was replaced with a GeForce 2MX.

The thing randomly crashes, reboots, etc.

The quality difference between the first G4 and my digital audio G4 is astonishing.

Sun Baked
Aug 26, 2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by akushlan
There was NO RECALL, the machines were simply re-examined due to a misseated optical drive door! I think somebody mention a problem with this on their computer.

mkaake
Aug 26, 2003, 10:10 AM
This is definitely different than the return policy at most Apple retailers. You bought it. You keep it. The MDD DP 1.25.. Apple didn't want those back.. rotten to the core on that one.

if it's too muc to handle, then i'd be happy to take it off of your hands... for free! how great am i?? it would be a nice little upgrade from my 266 g3...

and i don't even think they're loud... i've been around them a lot (in stores, not fortunate enough to own one), and have never noticed the fan noise at all...

matt

but yeah, if you really want to get it off your hands...

slfunk
Aug 26, 2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by mkaake
and i don't even think they're loud... i've been around them a lot (in stores, not fortunate enough to own one), and have never noticed the fan noise at all...

Wait until you put it into a home office.. guess you never saw http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G4noise/ huh?

As to taking it off my hands for free.. I might as well have thrown $3000 out the window..

mkaake
Aug 26, 2003, 11:18 AM
Wait until you put it into a home office.. guess you never saw http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G4noise/ huh?

As to taking it off my hands for free.. I might as well have thrown $3000 out the window..

but still, ya know, if you ever for some reason feel like throwing 3000 dollars out the window, you can be sure i'll let you know where my window is... (all you have to do is ask)

matt

PieMac
Aug 26, 2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Fender2112
I'm going to beat somebody!:D I was about 10 minutes away from puttting in an order for 1.8 and 20". I now know that I'll wait a bit longer.

To add to this...I noticed at my local CompUSA that they have not had a 17" monitor on display for the past week or two. Only the 20" and 23". I ment to ask the Apple rep about that but got side tracked. At McMall, their stock for 17" was 30 and the 20" at 200+ and the 23" 100+

I quess I'll wait for Paris Expo. It's only 3 more weeks.:(

Now my curiosity is peaked on this one as I am getting ready to place an order for either the G4 or the low end G5 and an Apple monitor. I would love it if they would come out with a cinema display 17" rather than the current square one.
I went over to a friend's house the other day to have a look at her 17" Studio display and I much prefer the more rectangular shaped displays. Looking at her Studio display, which is as tall as it is wide, throws things off to me. It's a plenty large display but it seems smaller than it is because of it's square shape (at least to me).

I would love to go for the 20" inch display, but that's a lot of moola and I am having a hard time justifying it. I would like to wait and see what happens, but I really want to take advantage of CompUSA's 18 months no payments, no interest deal which is only for this week. Blast! What to do, what to do....again!

bcsimac
Aug 26, 2003, 06:06 PM
I just hope there isn't a recall....that would be disaster for Apple's image! I just hope it was a case that had something wrong with it and was found at the assembly line and they decided to delay shipping to fix these cases or something.

bennetsaysargh
Aug 26, 2003, 08:56 PM
well, california seems to be recall crazy these days;)