Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mystixman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
USA
I know its way to early to think about what is coming in January, but this will also be the Macintosh's 20th Birthday. What do you think will happen?

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Re: MWSF2k4 (20th Mac Aniversary) Ideas and Predictions.

Originally posted by mystixman
I know its way to early to think about what is coming in January, but this will also be the Macintosh's 20th Birthday. What do you think will happen?
MacRumors headline: "Reliable sources indicate PowerBook updates a 'sure thing' for MWSF".

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by tjwett
I don't know why but I'm banking on a Special Edition Cube.

i'd like to see one. obviously jobs has a particular attachment to the cube shape, plus the whole "on ice" thing...

apple needs to put a special spin on it if it's going to be a line reintroduction tho... otherwise, they could go TAM and just load the thing up with expensive luxury-car features :)

pnw

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I'd like a G5 sphere that searches for PCs on the network and assimilates them...wait, that was a Star Trek episode... "We are Apple, your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. We will achieve perfection in this imperfect (Microsoft dominated) world. Resistance is futile"

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I'd like a G5 sphere that searches for PCs on the network and assimilates them...wait, that was a Star Trek episode... "We are Apple, your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. We will achieve perfection in this inperfect (Microsoft dominated) world. Resistance is futile"

LMAO...:D You will be assimilated! We told you to get a Mac, we tried to get you to switch. Now it is too late for all you fools who never listed to us...;)

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I'd say that would be a good anniversary. Wouldn't it be 20 years to the day that Steve was betrayed publicly by Bill Gates during the show? Hmm...a 20 year anniversary with Apple's main event the announcement of their plans to slowly tear apart Bill's company...mmm...sweet anniversary irony...tastes like mint chocolate. Now when can I get my G5 Sphere?

montecristo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2003
Gotham
In addition to upgrades of all of the existing lines, I would think that for Mac's 20th anniversary, Apple would introduce something at the very top of their line (like the original '96 Apple 20th Anniversary mac (featured in Batman Forever!)).

A sphere would be pretty cool. Apple may also do something that is a page from their past, which is an all-in-one unit. How about a 30-inch cinema-display LCD mac, which would be like 3 inches thick, or 4 inches max, and have the motherboard, expansion slots, ports, etc. all behind it, in one beautiful rectangle merging the tower and the display in one, that you could stand on your desktop or mount on the wall. You could sit back on your couch and surf the web, or watch a DVD, controlling everything from your wireless mouse and keyboard. No wires anywhere! Just Bluetooth and Airport!

Of course it would be dual 3Ghz G5....

And the commercial during the superbowl would be the exact same as the 1984 commercial. Except at the end, when the hammer goes into the screen, you pan out, and realize that the commercial is playing on the new mac mounted on the wall of the living room, then pan out some more, and you see the guy on the couch with the keyboard, editing the 1984 commercial with Final Cut, and laying a new track with Soundtrack, and with all the other iApps going on in the background -- to show-off all the things you can do so easily, only with the power of the mac.

Just a thought to Apple and Chiat/Day....:)

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
You can expect a new 20th Anniversary system.

If we base this on the other 20th anniv. sys. we can expect it:

-To be vastly expensive
-To have the option to be delivered in a limo
-To have a clock speed significantly lower than the highest clock speed of a Mac thus far released
-To have very high quality audio and video
-To be not-so-expandable
-To have a hard drive half the size of the highest end Mac
-To look cool
-To be vastly expensive
-To be vastly expensive
-To be vastly expensive

Or we could just get a new iPod, either way.

edit: To be frank, the 20th Anniv. Mac was droolworthy, but montecristo, it wasn't super-high-end specs wise. The 9600 was the creme de la creme, with insane expandability, a higher generation of processor, higher clockspeed, bigger hard drive, and slightly faster RAM.

montecristo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2003
Gotham
Originally posted by themadchemist

edit: To be frank, the 20th Anniv. Mac was droolworthy, but montecristo, it wasn't super-high-end specs wise. The 9600 was the creme de la creme, with insane expandability, a higher generation of processor, higher clockspeed, bigger hard drive, and slightly faster RAM.

I completely agree that the 20th anniversary Mac was droolworthy and expensive and that's about it. Back then, it was about design, not too much about computing. Hopefully this time around, they'll do better -- beautiful design, with power and expandability. That way, more people would be willing to shell out ten grand.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Originally posted by montecristo
I completely agree that the 20th anniversary Mac was droolworthy and expensive and that's about it. Back then, it was about design, not too much about computing. Hopefully this time around, they'll do better -- beautiful design, with power and expandability. That way, more people would be willing to shell out ten grand.

That's true. It's been a long time since we Mac users have thought about industrial design of cases being a novelty. No, not since the resurrection--err, return--of Steve. ;)

Now that I look back, the "cool look of it" was the big draw back then, although that won't convince someone to plop down 10 grand today.

No, we've got the cool look in everything top to bottom, now it's time for the cool specs. It would be great if we could have extreme power in a new milestone system, but with IBM on board, I hope to expect extreme power with every new iteration, early and often.

montecristo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2003
Gotham
Originally posted by themadchemist
lol, or perhaps in Steve's plane.

Hey why not! You know, apparently if you buy a Ferrari, you get to go to Modena and drive your car on their test track before they deliver it to you. So why not the same with a 20th anniversary mac! Go to Cupertino, get a tour from Steve, etc.

!!!

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Originally posted by tazo
i bet we see nothing special.

/end last shred of pessimism on MR

c'mon tazo, you know we're going to see G6 powerbooks in January anyway. It's not like we need something to be called "20th Anniv." or not. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.