Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Touringman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
I have just bought and installed Parallels as I need to run a few Windows only apps (Updater for Speed Camera Detector, Garmin GPS software and memory maps nav software.)

Anyway back in my PC days I had a bad experience once with a virus and from then always had anti-virus software (and anti spyware, malware etc)

Is this kind of protection required with Parallels? - or will OSX protect me (I will always be running XP in a Window only)

Many thanks

Tim

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
You will want virus protection on the windows part, that will still get viruses, they won't affect the rest of your computer though only the windows part.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I highly recommend ESET's NOD32. It is super fast, uses almost no resources, and is very effective (used to use it on my windows machine).

thunderbolt

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
There is an option for installing Trend Micro at Parallels 3.0. I think its good for protection. Plus using some anti-spyware software like spybot would be better. I don't know if trend micro has anti-spyware support.

Edit: It doesn't matter even you use it fullscreen. Windows is good old windows you know, crawling with viruses and spyware.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Since your going to be using Windows you will have to be cautious and antivirus is a must. There are many options available but you can choose the one your comfortable with.

Touringman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
New Question

Thanks for the responses - I have downloaded Avast - used to use this on Windows and seems to do the job.

New Question :

I was about to pay up and get an activation key but with back up CD this amounts to nearly £60 in the UK!

The full retail boxed version is available with education licence for £33 or £40 for full licence on Amazon UK

Anyone know if I buy the full retail version will I have to install again or can I just use the activation/licence key that is presumably in the box?

- don't want to install again as I have just got XP up and running and re-installed the windows apps I need!

Cheers

Tim

dvbeatty

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011
parallels selling out of date Kampinski

parallels seems to be promoting a virus software from Kampinski, but kampinski no longer support it, so dont waste your money. I keep getting database out of date and when I search I get the below message.
Kaspersky Internet Security has end-of-lifed updates for Parallels Internet Security as of December 2011.

Tx

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Anyone know if I buy the full retail version will I have to install again or can I just use the activation/licence key that is presumably in the box?

Yes the current install will take any valid license key ...

If you have an old system no longer running you may be able to go thru the microsoft activation process ( via phone typically ) and use that license.

You run a piece of software that generates a string of digits ... you call into microsoft and thru the phone give it that string of digits ... it checks it out ... and generates back a string of digits that you type in ... it asks you how many systems are currently using that piece of software before making a decision on whether to generate you back an activation code.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Thanks for the responses - I have downloaded Avast - used to use this on Windows and seems to do the job.

There are number of free options that would work just fine. No need to buy anything.

You can turn off access to WiFi/Ethernet and then never worry about Windows malware - simply d/l the updates on the Mac side and Parallels will see them in XP.

As a side note, does XP run MS Security Center? I'm on Win7 and can't remember if it did.

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
I would say antivirus can be optional in Windows; I don't browse the Web with IE (use Safari as integrated by Parallels) and I don't use pirated applications.

My Parallels use is to provide access to Visual Studio and a few other Windows only programs. Not installing and antivirus helps to keep the VM resource usage as low as possible.

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
So are you guys saying you need virus protection in Parallels even if you don't use the windows side for internet or e-mail? How would you get a virus?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.