PDA

View Full Version : Amazon 12inch Supplies

MacRumors
Aug 25, 2003, 05:38 PM
Amazon is now listing the PowerBook 12.1" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008BRQX/qid=1061848381/br=1-10/ref=br_lf_pc_10//103-2136906-6522248?v=glance&s=pc&n=712556) as being "not stocked or has been discontinued" -- further reflecting low PowerBook supplies.

joephish
Aug 25, 2003, 05:46 PM
Please leave rumors below.

;-)

praetorian_x
Aug 25, 2003, 05:54 PM
d00d this must be it.

This is getting insane...

Cheers,
prat

chazmox
Aug 25, 2003, 05:59 PM
Arn,

I've seen Amazon report this several times in the last few months. Is there something special about it this time?

They'll list this for a few days and then go back in stock - I have no reason why...

tizza
Aug 25, 2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Macrumors
Amazon is now listing the PowerBook 12.1" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008BRQX/qid=1061848381/br=1-10/ref=br_lf_pc_10//103-2136906-6522248?v=glance&s=pc&n=712556) as being "not stocked or has been discontinued" -- further reflecting low PowerBook supplies.
Maybe _Amazon_ is going out of stock or has been discontinued ??;)

brucku
Aug 25, 2003, 06:04 PM
NO WAY!

I hope it is, if they are available immediately, ill go buy mine in person at the store tomorrow !!! :)

That is if they offfer them out of the box with 1gb of ram. Can an apple store do that upgrade in person? Or should I order mine from the online store and wait?

Chealion
Aug 25, 2003, 06:49 PM
Woot, woot!!! Drooling over Rev. 2 12" PBook.

elliscarson
Aug 25, 2003, 06:55 PM
I've been waiting exactly three weeks for my 12" PB to ship. Maybe now I'll get a Rev 2/B instead of the first version ... it would definitely make all my waiting worthwhile. But I am getting impatient. Brutal wait, and I start school soon.

elliscarson
Aug 25, 2003, 08:01 PM
Now they are telling me it won't ship 'til 9/9/03. A full month! Brutal.

earthsaver
Aug 25, 2003, 09:13 PM
One of the items listed as "People who shopped for this item also shopped for these" is the same model PowerBook 12" with the same Amazon.com item number but this slightly different URL (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000087BHV/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/104-2949267-9109535).

sfr79
Aug 25, 2003, 09:40 PM
Look at the inventory at smalldog, i'd say thats pretty telling... they only seem to have refurb'd powerbooks in... in all sizes

i'm hoping tuesday is the day i buy my new powerbook 12"

SmallDog (http://www.smalldog.com/category/x/x/Powerbooks+Ibooks/G3+Powerbook/G4+Powerbook/Powerbook/wag102/wag10002/)

Zuckuss
Aug 25, 2003, 09:59 PM
Please let tomorrow be the day! Please? 15" ALbook!

FriarTuck
Aug 25, 2003, 10:05 PM
This has happened at Amazon umpteen times over the course of the summer. In fact, I posted about it a couple of times.

At some point, it's bound to mean something.

Honortgoat
Aug 25, 2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by elliscarson
Now they are telling me it won't ship 'til 9/9/03. A full month! Brutal.

How odd that your PB is delayed again. I ordered a BTO 12" PB from the Apple store on 21 August and, although my order stated shipping on or before 4 September, it shipped this morning. My hopes forgetting Rev. B are dashed.

Think of it this way, now you might just luck out and get the revision.

coumerelli
Aug 25, 2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Honortgoat
Think of it this way, now you might just luck out and get the revision.

I'm just wondering.... Does Apple make it common practice to hold orders in order to send out the 'new' comp? Or, even if you order 'x' computer the DAY before the new revision comes out they opt to send THAT new one to you?

For real, I'm serious...:confused: Wouldn't they send the older one as to help them deplete the old stock?

shecky
Aug 25, 2003, 11:24 PM
::::::::::::::::::yawns:::::::::::::::::::::::::

oh.....low amazon stock. again. for the umpteenth time. someone wake me when there is some news that is actually meaningful, like, say, a LEAK from a SOURCE.

:::::::dozes off again:::::::

arn
Aug 25, 2003, 11:36 PM
This is not the same Amazon report.

1). Previous 15" Model that was out of stock, is still out of stock.

This is the 12" Model.

2) No bitching about Page 2 rumors. :)

arn

ColoJohnBoy
Aug 26, 2003, 12:02 AM
Bloody hell! I mean, for the love of God, just update the ********** things already! We've been waiting long enough! Aaaaaaaagh!

(At this point, I should be checking myself into a mental hospital.)

I'll just take some Xanax - - then I'll be alright.

cb911
Aug 26, 2003, 02:54 AM
okay, so heaps of places are running out of stock now. i don't know what everyone's all hyped up about. there's nothing to worry about 'cause Apple is going to make another few thousand PowerBooks to tide them over until the G5 PowerBooks are ready next year. :)

we know that the Apple Store still has them in stock, so everyone just go there and order a PowerBook, it'll eventually find it's way to you.

JBracy
Aug 26, 2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by arn
This is not the same Amazon report.

1). Previous 15" Model that was out of stock, is still out of stock.

This is the 12" Model.

2) No bitching about Page 2 rumors. :)

arn

Ummm have you actually looked at Amazon? I just did a search on "Apple Computer" and they have all PowerBooks listed as shipping either within "24 hrs" or 1 - 2 business days.

Armsreach
Aug 26, 2003, 08:43 AM
Funny, yet extremely annoying fact for one of my friends. Her and her roommate ordered 12" Powerbooks last week. They were fed up waiting. First one, then the other 1/2 hour later from the Apple Education store. Both built to order. Both were supposed to ship yesterday. My friend who ordered her's first got bumped into Sept. However, her roommate who ordered 1/2 hour later had hers ship. She has a tracking number and it is en route as I type.

Apple, must you always confuse the S*** out of me?

(Yay for finally registering and taking part in the rumor brigade)

XnavxeMiyyep
Aug 26, 2003, 09:36 AM
Welcome to Macrumors, Armsreach.:)

Looks like this isn't going to be anything, just another temporary out of stock by Amazon. I checked the Apple site, too. No new Powerbooks.

Lancetx
Aug 26, 2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by JBracy
Ummm have you actually looked at Amazon? I just did a search on "Apple Computer" and they have all PowerBooks listed as shipping either within "24 hrs" or 1 - 2 business days.

Yep, Amazon still has the 12" PBs in stock as of this morning. Let's face it everyone please, we are not going to see any updates before Paris at the earliest...

earthsaver
Aug 26, 2003, 01:40 PM
New 17" PowerBooks are currently shipping the same business day from the Apple Store.

12" and 15" PBs, on the other hand, are all delayed 3-5 days.

ozlow
Aug 26, 2003, 02:02 PM
If all retailers where out of stock, maybe Apple will release the PowerBooks faster. There could be a few possible hold-ups. I don't believe they are waiting for moto anymore. I've thought long and hard about this and it's come to this...

Idea One:
The ibook team basically came up with the 12" powerbook. Which means that they've been working on putting G4 chips into the ibook. Which makes me believe that the ibooks will all be updated to the G4 chip next rev. using the new moto chip. Bringing it up to or past a Gig.

This would mean that the Powerbooks would have to use the G5 chip.

Idea Two:
It sounds like there could be a hold up in the 12" powerbook. (I can't believe it's a hold up with the 15". All they needed to do with the 15" is put it in a new case, and maybe give it a wider screen.) The 12" is suppose to be thinner, so I could see that posing a slight problem? They're waiting on the 12" to release all the powerbooks at the same time.

Idea Three:
Waiting for Panther, which will be the loaded OS for the new Powerbooks.

Idea Four:
Waiting to release the Powerbooks at Seybold Sept 8 or the better bet Apple Expo Sept 16.

These are some some thoughts. All I know, is that I sold my iBook a month and a half ago. Money in my Bank account to purchase a new 12" PowerBook. THIS SUCKS!

APPLE FOR THE SAKE OF GOD, PLEASE STOP THE PAIN...RELEASE THE POWERBOOK!

a6rnh
Aug 26, 2003, 02:05 PM
the rumors are now clutching at straws....if there are no 15" powerbooks then apple would have released new ones to keep up with demand.....another day...another semi-rumour...another wait for my 15"AI...

does anybody actually have any proper information??? somebody reading these pages must work for apple or a supplier????!!

come on, there was less anticipation when we landed on the moon!!!!

jaedreth
Aug 26, 2003, 02:15 PM
That's because we knew we would, eventually. The only anticipation was getting there before the Russians. (Doesn't that all seem a bit silly these days?)

As for the PowerBooks...

Jaedreth

ds9er16
Aug 26, 2003, 02:31 PM
Amazon would get restocked on High end 12" Pbooks (12" Models with Superdrives) pretty quick if Apple actually had them to offer.

They are either supply chain issues or the supplies are indeed out. I wouldn't be surprised if we finally saw some Powerbook updates soon, say by Apple Paris.

At least an introduction would be nice with the promise of shipping in a month or so, like WWDC and the G5s. Just some relief from all the suspense! Is it too much to ask?!

boehncke
Aug 26, 2003, 05:24 PM
According to the large German Apple reseller www.cyberport.de the 15" Powerbooks were to be available on Aug 28th (until today). Today that availability date was pushed back to Sept 9th. I believe a similar fate also applies to the others.

tizza
Aug 26, 2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by ozlow
If all retailers where out of stock, maybe Apple will release the PowerBooks faster. There could be a few possible hold-ups. I don't believe they are waiting for moto anymore. I've thought long and hard about this and it's come to this...

Idea One:
The ibook team basically came up with the 12" powerbook. Which means that they've been working on putting G4 chips into the ibook. Which makes me believe that the ibooks will all be updated to the G4 chip next rev. using the new moto chip. Bringing it up to or past a Gig.

This would mean that the Powerbooks would have to use the G5 chip.

Idea Two:
It sounds like there could be a hold up in the 12" powerbook. (I can't believe it's a hold up with the 15". All they needed to do with the 15" is put it in a new case, and maybe give it a wider screen.) The 12" is suppose to be thinner, so I could see that posing a slight problem? They're waiting on the 12" to release all the powerbooks at the same time.

Idea Three:
Waiting for Panther, which will be the loaded OS for the new Powerbooks.

Idea Four:
Waiting to release the Powerbooks at Seybold Sept 8 or the better bet Apple Expo Sept 16.

These are some some thoughts. All I know, is that I sold my iBook a month and a half ago. Money in my Bank account to purchase a new 12" PowerBook. THIS SUCKS!

APPLE FOR THE SAKE OF GOD, PLEASE STOP THE PAIN...RELEASE THE POWERBOOK!
Well I'm sure Steve also has ideas 5 -10 too ;)

I hear your pain though, if the new ones aren't shipped in the next couple of months I have some very tough decisions to make. DON'T MAKE ME GO WINDOWS APPLE!!!

Mokona
Aug 27, 2003, 06:44 AM
I'm losing hope of getting an updated g4 within the next couple of weeks.

I am however gaining hope that the new powerbooks will be G5's introduced at the Paris expo. If I was Steve Jobs, I would get the hell away from motorola as fast as possible.

A lot of evidence points to this. I just wish the rumor apples purchase of low-end g5s en masse was a bit more substantiated.

Jobs said "not anytime soon" three months ago. The "soon"-part is over.

I am now officially a follower of the g5 powerbook prophecy.